Lrm Mastered Warhawk Build

9 replies to this topic

#1 Havok Jones

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

Been working on this mech since The clan invasion came out. It's turned out to be a really spectacular build. Still not finished yet though.

2x LRM 20
1x LRM 15
1x ER PPC
2x ER Med Laser
1800 LRM ammo

Here's a vid of it in action:
http://youtu.be/FlPaCQRoXiI
933 dmg, 5 kills, 4 assists, 8 component destruction.

#2 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:11 AM

I can see why this works, but it seems better to me if you use 4 LRMs instead of 3. I guess 3 launchers are a necessary evil if you really want to play the WHK-A as an LRM boat, but more launchers with shorter streams means fewer missiles are shot down and the enemy has less time to get into cover. The WHK-B is just a better LRM boat for this reason.

I see you're chainfiring a lot, which works great against people with no AMS who are just standing in the open. But it doesn't work very well against people with AMS who use cover better. Or people who are partially shrouded by ECM, giving you a short window to hit your target.

LRM55 (20+20+15) = 5t + 5t + 3.5t = 13.5 t
LRM60 (15+15+15+15) = 14t
LRM55 (15+15+15+10) = 3.5t + 3.5t+ 3.5t + 2.5t = 13t

The only advantage of fewer launchers is less ghost heat, but... I find that heat isn't a big problem for the WHK LRM boat anyway.

Edited by Nicolai Kabrinsky, 12 October 2014 - 04:11 AM.

#3 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

I preferred this for my Lrm-hawk. Guess you could do a modified version for the -A....but I just sold it, no point having a carbon copy of the Prime/Subpar copy of the -B.

#4 AcePaul

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCT USA

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

I run 2x20and 2x15 (yep, that's 70)
Needed to leave Artemis off to fit them.
4 ERML's and a tag.
It goes through ammo fast, so making sure of a target is key, and with the lrm20 cooldown it's pretty hot.
But group fire has worked out well for me, I've seen some 900-1000 damage games in both pug and 12 man.

#5 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

Mine looks like this.

When you can get your own visual locks, Artemis is really effective.

#6 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:26 AM

I like this one

WHK-B

A side torso means 10% reduced cooldown for LRMs, so you can fire faster.. i don't like the ghost heat on anything bigger than 4x10 or 3x15 anyway (using 20x2 + 15x2 is the same heat as 4x20 btw), it has plenty of ammo, doenst need to chainfire, and has (very) good backup lasers. I also think artemis is a waste of tonnage and slots for LRMs - if you have line of sight much, you should be using direct fire weapons. not LRMs, but that's just my opinion.

its one of my best mechs, with a KD of 2.70 and an average (as in worked out by diving total damage by number of matches, not a guess) damage of 604.8 after 125 drops

WHK-B

Alternate version with 4x10 - shorter, fatter streams of missiles for better AMS defeating at the cost of a bit of rate of fire, and slightly hotter running (hence the extra heatsink). also allows moving the CAP to the center torso where its safer

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 14 October 2014 - 04:59 AM.

#7 Havok Jones

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

I never knew the other warhawk could have 4 missile silos. So I've been running with that one now. It's the exact same, only with 4 LRM 15's instead of 2 LRM 20's and one LRM 15. I dont know why, but the ER PPC just seems to blow everything out of the water once you've unloaded all your missles at the enemy.
it's like you use your LRMs to cripple your opponents side torsos and then deal the killing blow with your ER PPC & ER M Las.

Also, I have another wicked warhawk build: My prime warhawk has 5 ER Large Lasers with a level 7 Targeting Computer and all weapon mods installed and target info gathering...you can almost outrange anything! Enemies will run away because you have your 5 ER L Lasers on them constantly aiming at their cockpits.

#8 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

Looks good. I was using just LRM25 - 30 before the last nerf, but that build is no longer competitive. It had been very good before Radar Dep, but each Patch since then has seen LRMs nerfed, ECM increased, so now you need to be an LRM Boat or take none at all. Something I really didn't want to see happen. Warned them they were forcing players to boat LRMs which would make all the LRM nerfs meaningless.

Now if LRMs did decent direct LoS damage this could be sidestepped as players would find LRM20-25 very useful in direct fire situations, but that will never happen so... I guess it's time to go sail the LRM Boat. Might be the best thing the Warhawk can do.

#9 NineTails

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

Couldn't pay me to chain-fire big Clan missile racks like that. AMS and cover humping are going to cripple your ability to seriously hurt people that aren't being dumb about wandering around in the open.

#10 Havok Jones

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

You end up wasting a lot of ammo that way though if you missfire on an alpha LRM strike. Chainfire also keeps your enemies cockpit rocking. But then again ECM and cover humping is why I dont fully rely on LRM's. AMS doesnt do enough to prevent LRM damage unless they have all their mechs with AMS in a group or they have AMS overload.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users