Gauss And Crits

24 replies to this topic

#1 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:27 AM

I know the gauss rifle has an increased chance of receiving a critical hit and being destroyed, but does that increased chance still happen even without an armor breach in the component carrying the gauss?

I just had a match where I lost my gauss rifle in my RT, even though the RT still had full armor, both front and back, and my right arm still had armor also

#2 FloofyKitten

Rookie

• The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

Could it have been from heat damage?

#3 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

View PostxAshokx, on 12 October 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

Could it have been from heat damage?

no..hadn't fired anything but the gauss at that point

#4 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

Could it have just been that your ammo was destroyed? While Gauss ammo doesn't explode it can still be destroyed.

If you were running something like a Gauss Nova you'd have your ammo in another location, so if the last of your ammo got hit the Gauss would go red because it's out of ammo rather than destroyed.

#5 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostRuccus, on 12 October 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

Could it have just been that your ammo was destroyed? While Gauss ammo doesn't explode it can still be destroyed.

If you were running something like a Gauss Nova you'd have your ammo in another location, so if the last of your ammo got hit the Gauss would go red because it's out of ammo rather than destroyed.

nope....gauss rifle was destroyed...still had ammo in other areas...and still had armor on that section

#6 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

I could be totally wrong here, but I do think that the gauss itself can be hit without the section's armor being hit. My only basis for this however is personal interpretation of things I've read, and the fact that I'm almost certain I've seen the same thing happen to me, dead gauss, healthy location.

Now whether that's "working as intended" or simply poor hit registration, I have no idea.

#7 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

Any compoment should not take any damage when there is still armor on the section after a hit (when the armor on a section goes to exactly zero doing no internal damage you can get critical damage). However, from the OP I understand armor was left and the Gauss was still destroyed: this should not have happened. :huh:

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 12 October 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#8 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

Also had this issue, don't know the reason either. Could be a bug, come on it's MWO. Everything can happen here!

#9 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

Could it be that you just misread the damage of your mech? While the damage readout on the enemy mech is mirrored front versus back, the readout of your mech is accurate left-to-left and right-to-right. So if your mech had an exposed front left torso and exposed back right torso it would look identical to an enemy mech with an exposed left torso (front and back).

My guess is that your mind registered it as an exposed left torso (as it would look on an enemy mech) but you really had an exposed front left torso and exposed rear right torso, then got hit in the rear right torso to explode the rifle.

#10 kravkalash

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

If something in your mechs right arm explodes, the surplus damage gets transfered to the right torso - ignoring armor. Maybe that is what happened?

#11 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

View Postkravkalash, on 12 October 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

If something in your mechs right arm explodes, the surplus damage gets transfered to the right torso - ignoring armor. Maybe that is what happened?

It's not supposed to ignore armor.

#12 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostRuccus, on 12 October 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Could it be that you just misread the damage of your mech? While the damage readout on the enemy mech is mirrored front versus back, the readout of your mech is accurate left-to-left and right-to-right. So if your mech had an exposed front left torso and exposed back right torso it would look identical to an enemy mech with an exposed left torso (front and back).

My guess is that your mind registered it as an exposed left torso (as it would look on an enemy mech) but you really had an exposed front left torso and exposed rear right torso, then got hit in the rear right torso to explode the rifle.

nope...had armor on all torso sections, and on both arms

#13 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

If it happens again, try to grab a screenshot (F12 will save a screenhot to mechwarrior online/USEr/screenshots/)

#14 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

Not new, hitreg is wonky in this game. I've seen people shot through the front and their backs explode. it's entirely possible the damage passed through armor even though it's not supposed to

#15 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

Probably got hit in the front and the back exploded *rare* (armor piercing rounds ftw), either that or damage transfer (although that seems unlikely as you say you had armor on arms/torsi etc maybe ammo explosion in legs dunno but gauss ammo doesn't go boom). The only other thing that happens *extremely rare* is that you can die/take damage before the paper doll is updated. In that case something stupidly powerful hit you and vaporized that section into subatomic particles instantly.

#16 NUK3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

Or maybe a Gaussian solar energy wave packet resonated within your magnetic coils, causing a constructive interference in your engine's photon resonance chamber. A.k.a. you could just have encountered a bug. Would't surprise me when I think about things like that nasty tenacious player id bug.

#17 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

Spontaneous Gaussbustion?

#18 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

It's possible that a server hiccup caused the game to calculate damage against your internals rather than your armor. I've have Gauss slugs pass through entire Atlases to hit me instead.

#19 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

Sounds like a bug, like shooting thru mech/hills/building. It happens sometimes, could also been your paper doll wasnt updating properly.

#20 Hamish McPiton

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFishing out of my cockpit hatch.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

Sounds like a bug to me. I once killed Vegere in a Jager to Jager fight by shooting his Firebrand's cockpit with triple ac5's, from behind him. Sorry dude.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users