11 replies to this topic

#1 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

So I boated a Targeting Computer

It works a bit better here given the -10% cooldown time on the Summoner Prime's arms, and the -10% Ballistic cooldown makes MGs pretty flipping scary up close. May not be competitive, but it sure is fun.

I'm hoping this might inspire some creative, outside the box thinking (the same kind that produced the 6x MG 2x LPL Jager).

So, any cool 'boating' builds you've come up with that you didn't think would work, but have? (It's okay if it's just in PuGland)

#2 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

I'm still waiting to see if any of the targeting computers offer clear advantage over the equivalent space/slots replacing ammo/heatsinks/armor.

reasoning: Put a TCIII in the kitfox, and my the nova, thought they were the cats butt......well, for a while.
I only had the one and would shift it back and forth. Back and forth......forth and back...
....Then after a dozen or so battles realized not only was I not running it, having forgot to shift it out..rather back in...
had a gaping 3ton hole in both mechs.
Scores, results were nearly identical.
I know what they are "supposed" to do, I know what they say they do, I have read where some swear at, or by them...I just aint buying it just yet.
Factor in a FOUR to SEVEN ton hit for the big ones? Thats a lot of heat sinks.

#3 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostThat Dawg, on 13 October 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

I'm still waiting to see if any of the targeting computers offer clear advantage over the equivalent space/slots replacing ammo/heatsinks/armor.

reasoning: Put a TCIII in the kitfox, and my the nova, thought they were the cats butt......well, for a while.
I only had the one and would shift it back and forth. Back and forth......forth and back...
....Then after a dozen or so battles realized not only was I not running it, having forgot to shift it out..rather back in...
had a gaping 3ton hole in both mechs.
Scores, results were nearly identical.
I know what they are "supposed" to do, I know what they say they do, I have read where some swear at, or by them...I just aint buying it just yet.
Factor in a FOUR to SEVEN ton hit for the big ones? Thats a lot of heat sinks.

True, I only went this way because I'd almost given up on a Summoner build I liked. The targeting computer, for me, has really only shined when I can take advantage of the increased projectile times. The single PPC build I showed up there was performing better than a 2 PPC build I was using, with pretty much the exact same everything minus the TC. I can only assume it's because I was able to 'snipe' from further away with the PPC, and with the darn near heat neutral efficiency, was pretty much able to fire constantly.

Have been clearing better damage, and netting more kills as well. Maybe that's where TC's shine, though I'll be honest, still not sure if it could be competitive or not

#4 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

You want to see the difference of the TCs?

Take a whale, put two gauss, put a TC VII : now your gauss bullets have a very higher velocity, it's like an instant shot!

Build :
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...98602d7695b0dcc

Adjust the build with your favorite lazors!

Use the TC with U-ACs, you'll see the difference on critted mechs (bonus on crits damages) and on the bullets velocity too.

Other advantage of the TC?

On smaller mechs who use BAP (small LRM boat, Streaks boats or scouts) put a TC mk I, it's only one tons, and use a Target Info Gathering modules. Use a calculator : TC mk I + BAP + TIG = very quick info gathering. This combinason is very usefull for a lot of mech and this combo of equipements only cost two tons and two slots.

I use this on my Mad Doggie, my TW, my KitFoxes, Adder (yeah i use Adder, i like them, i know i'm weird)) and sometimes Whales. And you have the little crits bonus with the TC mk I on all your lasers weapons. I mean : WHAT ELSE??

If after that that, you don't see the difference, just don't use them, your disease has no cure.
But they deserve the try, and they are cheap : TC mk 1 = 20,000 C-bills! There is worse investement, like the IS command console (this one is useless for lights mech)...

#5 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:45 PM

View PostMercer Skye, on 12 October 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

So I boated a Targeting Computer

It works a bit better here given the -10% cooldown time on the Summoner Prime's arms, and the -10% Ballistic cooldown makes MGs pretty flipping scary up close. May not be competitive, but it sure is fun.

Sorry to burst your bubble but neither TC nor cooldown quirks affect MGs in any way. Because MG is not an AC. It does not have a projectile, and it does not have cooldown.

You've been living in a dream world, Neo.

#6 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:49 PM

Doesnt look very effective. If you are looking to meaningfully boat large Targeting Computer, the idea might be more in-line with something like this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3616182539c5158
-or this-
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...799ff4f82f8ab77

but that would still be considered sub-optimal compared to other options.

#7 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:22 PM

6 med pulse TC MK7 in a Timberwolf is pretty lolworthy,also deadly

#8 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

So I boated support http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ae8b88fa0a2d45b

#9 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 17 October 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

Hate to break it to you, but you could remove the second tag and place a weapon in there, or more NARC ammo. More than one TAG has no advantage. Other than that, props for running a support mech.

#10 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostColby Boucher, on 17 October 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Hate to break it to you, but you could remove the second tag and place a weapon in there, or more NARC ammo. More than one TAG has no advantage. Other than that, props for running a support mech.

Don't worry, i've got it covered here
Enjoy

Edited by dragnier1, 17 October 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostColby Boucher, on 17 October 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

with one tag in each arm, I can tag opponents on corners at the right or left without having in one of these cases to expose the full mech. Also we boat support not damage

#12 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

You have some balls running that build Lily! Not sure if i saw any JJs in there but you should throw 1-2 in there and poptart NARCs for a good time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users