Mentorship Systems - Designs, Ideas And Suggestions

270 replies to this topic

#161 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

Cool!

Edited by Nightmare1, 26 January 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#162 Manipulus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:15 AM

View Postchiron, on 26 January 2015 - 02:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

This system branches out beyond just mentorship and would include sportsmanship, and even includes honoring your opponents, if you wish. But I'm just refering to the actual UI system, as a means to allow players to recognize helpful veterans with a single click, after a match.

You can introduce the possibility Related to the microphone At least one member of the three groups to koordenirovat actions ... annoying when people just wandering around the neighborhood, and the current from the chat with the coordinates of the collision?))
and not bad to add the ability to raspredilyat furs before the match in groups ...

#163 ThisOneDiesALot

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts
  • LocationFreiburg

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:43 PM

hi,

i recently thought about the mentoring and especially a way to how to implement a mentorship system without too heavy impact on code and design. i've read several pages of this post but i must admit not everything. please don't be mad at me if something has already been posted. i hope, the concepter who started this post is still reading it :)

i am an interaction designer myself and consider myself being an experienced MWO pilot (dear readers, feel free to say i'm not if you experienced otherwise :) ). i tutored several new players so far at different tutor levels (from a few build recommendations to several hours of ingame dropping together and explaining stuff while on TS) so i hope i can add some value to the ideas and discussion.

things i will adress:
- ask for help barrier
- come together
- providing quality feedback
- KISS and low implement cost

i believe those four points are the main issues of how to get a mentorship system up and running.

ASK FOR HELP BARRIER
new players are drawn with almost none tutorial into the game. i remember when i started my first match and was on the battlefield my first question was: "oh hell, this thing standing next to me, am i supposed to fire on it or is it a teammate???" when i realized this is one of the good guys, i ran off looking for opponents. i found one... and died after a few seconds ingame. wooo!!! then i was thrown into spectator mode. "nice, i can see others doing better than me". i started to observe their gameplay and learing from what i see. however, i had a tons of questions but were unable to ask them. mostly because i wasn't aware of the team chat first and later also because i didn't want to be "a burden" by asking someone else who is in game right now. so here my idea for a KISS implementation of getting rid of the asking for help barrier: a button in spectator mode "i want to be mentored" (CTA tbd).

the potential mentor on the other side would get an after match notification of guys who wanted to be mentored. she can accept one of them.

COME TOGETHER
when i offered help to new players when they asked for help over all chat or just admitted that they totally suck and i offered help by myself, we sometimes had a hard time getting things up and running. first you need to tell her about the social button, the friend request and hope for her to realize the chat system. so i suggest that if you accepted someone to mentor, you will be thrown into a chat after the match instantly. you already friend the new guy and a chat is already open so you can start typing and chatting.

PROVIDING QUALITY FEEDBACK
now we have voip. wooo!!!! it makes mentoring much easier as you get rid of "download teamspeak and get on comms" barrier. so far i experienced a MUCH better way of explaining things on comms than in chat. so it's a nobrainer that ingame voip is very useful for mentoring. however, i always had some trouble dropping with the novice as we had to form a group, being dragged into group queue and matched up against experienced teams. also i told them to spectate me once they die (what happesn pretty early) so i can explain stuff to them what i'm doing and why i'm doing it. they were able to ask questions via lance chat. the other way around (spectating the novice) i always had to leroy into the enemy team first what i really didn't want but it was the only way as it was always that i would survive very long most of the time while the novice wouldn't so i wouldn't get a chance to tutor him while he is piloting and i spectate him. so here is my idea for providing quality feeback: mentor spectate mode that you can launch from the mentor chat. you can decide wether the mentor spectates the novice or the novice spectate the mentor. what happens is that once you launch, a solo pug match is being initiated and BOTH will be taken there but instead of filling up a mech spot, the spectator can only spectate the other guy and is NOT part of the 12man. voip is restricted to that you can hear your team but answer ONLY to the specator (KISS: not two buttons for voip). also the specator can talk only to you or use the chat that only YOU will see.

KISS AND LOW IMPLEMENT COST
as you can see, all my suggestions use mechanichs that are already ingame and need to be adjusted for the purposes. this is still implementing cost but imho at a much more lower level. also this is a good start to agile adjust the mentorship system once established at a low level.

i hope, this post is a valueable addition to the mentorship concept.

Edited by ThisOneDiesALot, 17 February 2015 - 09:45 PM.

#164 Christopher Hamilton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, Steiner Sector

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

a few points i like to add:

- i would enjoy beeing able to go to training ground in a group of my own choosing (e.g. to mentor new players on dummies).
- i would love having some way of doing a trial of position or academy test for new players
- something to teach ppl friendly fire isnt.
- cant put enough emphasis on that last point.
- did i mention "avoid friendly fire" trainging ?

#165 red fury15

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 138 posts
  • Locationнижний новгород

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

возможно ошибся с размещением темы потому как тут вообще на форуме бардак полный !!!! а предложение мое об оружие кассетных ми{отредактировано}, в книгах оно есть почему в игре нет ??? и второе предложение альтернативная система ПВО не с снарядами а лазерная без боекомплекта, да она перегревать будет немного работа, но сделать это можно будет до определенной отметки перегрева чтобы совсем работ невыключался от работы системы ПВО и последнее внести возможность нажатием кнопки выключать сисему ПВО когда нужно чтобы она не работала постоянно, когда надо и не надо а так выключил и включил когда т {отредактировано} е нужно

Edited by red fury15, 20 February 2015 - 01:09 PM.

#166 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

View Postred fury15, on 20 February 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

возможно ошибся с размещением темы потому как тут вообще на форуме бардак полный !!!! а предложение мое об оружие кассетных ми{отредактировано}, в книгах оно есть почему в игре нет ??? и второе предложение альтернативная система ПВО не с снарядами а лазерная без боекомплекта, да она перегревать будет немного работа, но сделать это можно будет до определенной отметки перегрева чтобы совсем работ невыключался от работы системы ПВО и последнее внести возможность нажатием кнопки выключать сисему ПВО когда нужно чтобы она не работала постоянно, когда надо и не надо а так выключил и включил когда т {отредактировано} е нужно

Wrong forum. This is the English one, lol.

Here: http://mwomercs.com/...-international/

You should be able to find what you need there. :)

#167 DaangeroussDann

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

View PostExcalabur50, on 13 October 2014 - 01:29 AM, said:

The easiest I think would be as I said in another post about this is new players have maybe and Icon above them visible to their teammates only for X amount of time whilst a new player that veteran players can easily spot and maybe try and take under their wing player willing of course and this might afford a quick and easy method of helping them out.
Also less trolling/abuse in game chat and forums to try and give new people a fair go.

Identifying new players would obviously be done automaticly by the engine, perhaps a person with zeo or only 1 or two mechs owned should automaticly qualify and be prompted to use the new Mentor interface when they log into mechlab. Not the other way around. We dont want a bunch of eager beavers looking for a noob to train for a reward. Let the new players decide, the worst thing that can happen is rejection a couple times. But they won't have hounds with popup requests driving them nuts while they are trying to learn the game.

Also, ensure that groups can join Training grounds together and Voip works there , so no private TS server is needed. (Teaching Team speak can be a pain in the arse too)

If new plaers can identify Veterans,(perhaps elegable Experienced players can select a button toggling a Mentor flag), and see them on open server, simply install an interface , a button new players can push with a drop down of all the people in the drop (including enemies perhaps) who are Vet status or experienced players. This way the new players can pick someone they like right off the bat.
(however you judge Worthy of Mentoring; Perhaps owning a minimum of 5 different chasis in each weight catigory, and having at least one Mastered in each , is a good minimum requirement).
The new player can then push a "Sponsor me please" button on the player they have chosen in game who has toggled on his/her Mentor flag. The Vet can reject it or accept it, but a Vet can only sponsor one at a time.

Once they link up ( now that Voip is here they don't even need a private TS server) and the Vet has excepted the invite to sponsor or Mentor the new player, that action unlocks a "private server" for a limited amount of drops. Objectives being : Training for each weight catigory mech (thats 4 drops) regardless if a trial mech is used or not. If you can , under this special "Training " private server unlock respawn unlimited for a certain amount of time (least 30 minutes) for each weight catagor in seperate instances.
One thirty minute private server unlocked by the mentor for lights
One for mediums
One for Heavies
One for Assaults

Be sure to limit the weight (if you can) for each catigory, so only that class mech can enter, but up to 2 full teams perhaps.
How or what the training entails is up to the Sponsor or Mentor, but after all "private Server time" is used up, the Cadet is prompted with a form of completion of some sort. This form designed to ensure the job was done to his or her satisfaction.

MRCB Application and Certificate of completion

Example:
1) Did your Mentor answer all your questions regarding Piloting a Mech?
2) Do you feel better prepared for Community Warfare and how it works?
3) Did you recieve training in all mech weight catigories?
4) Do you understand the function of ECM and counter ECM
5) Do you understand BAP and its effect on ECM (and TAG and Narc, etc)
6) Do you know how to purchase and install Modules and consumables
7) Do you now know you way around the Mech Lab and all its functions
8) Do you know where / how to purchase new mechs
9) Do you feel you were rushed through your training and still have many questions unanswered.
10) Would you like more time or another Mentor Application to complete your training.
10) Are you satisfied with your overall training given by your Mentor,, etc. etc.

If there is to be a reward for Mentoring someone, it should not be given unless the cadet is satisfied with the training. Perhaps rate the Application on point scale which directly effects any would be reward.

Furthermore, there should be a minimum and maximum time limit for this training to occure and be completed and the MRCB Application submitted. Like Not less 6 hours, but no longer than 1 week or the Mentorship is disgarded. So as to not lock up a player who for some reason cannot get in touch with their counterpart.

Edited by DaangeroussDann, 05 March 2015 - 10:44 PM.

#168 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:40 AM

Suggestion on mentorship:

- a mentor must have earned more than 2x the experience of the pupil. Once the pupil reaches half the mentor's experience, the mentorship ends.

- while mentoring a new player, you are both grouped, and drop together (including in PUG matches).

- while mentoring a new player, the mentor gains a +25% C-bill bonus, and the pupil gains a +50% XP bonus.

- achievements should be unlockable for mentoring, based on the total XP earned by all your pupils over your career.

#169 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:12 AM

Is this topic still active?
I think it would be enough for the beginning to give every "Cadett" 1-7 days premium time.

This would allow "friends" that are brought into the game to use privat matches - of course its still possible to use a unit and drop with other guys that have premium time active.

#170 Huoshini

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTip of the spear!

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

I would like a simple "Thumbs up" option at the end of each round. You can choose one player on your team other than yourself. Most votes gains something like an hour of premium time ir something.like that.

#171 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:15 AM

This would probably help / is related:

http://mwomercs.com/...-queues-and-cw/

#172 swimant

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

I hope this is where I can make a suggestion.

I belive a fun idea would be to have a time lapse image of the CW faction map. I would like to see the maps transformation from the begining faction map release date, to its current state.

It would be nifty to see the faction borders "realestate holdings" shift around based on all the CW battles.

Thanks for the consideration.

P.S. Love the Game

#173 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:25 AM

View Postswimant, on 01 April 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

I hope this is where I can make a suggestion.

I belive a fun idea would be to have a time lapse image of the CW faction map. I would like to see the maps transformation from the begining faction map release date, to its current state.

It would be nifty to see the faction borders "realestate holdings" shift around based on all the CW battles.

Thanks for the consideration.

P.S. Love the Game

This is Mentorship Systems and Design section of the forums. I believe you are looking for the Feature Suggestions forum.

#174 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:22 PM

I volunteer for in-game mentorship. If you had a General channel or Noob channel I'd be there to help when I can.

#175 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:11 PM

Open global chat in the game for tips. That should be enough for mentorship.
Do not reward players for mentoring with "power items".

#176 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:59 AM

View Postlunticasylum, on 22 April 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

Open global chat in the game for tips. That should be enough for mentorship.
Do not reward players for mentoring with "power items".

Based on the condition and the general mood, morale and conduct of players in this game, incentive will be needed to get the numbers required to make this initiative effective. Not everyone is going to just volunteer their time at the soup kitchen for the love of it.

Edited by rolly, 23 April 2015 - 06:03 AM.

#177 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:14 AM

I think that there will definitely need to be some kind of incentive for the Mentors. Whether this comes out to be Premium Time/MC or Mechs and Mechbays or something, I'm not sure. However, hard working mentors will need something to get them out there and helping. If there isn't anything, then there will be precious few of us.

#178 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

View Postrolly, on 23 April 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

Based on the condition and the general mood, morale and conduct of players in this game, incentive will be needed to get the numbers required to make this initiative effective. Not everyone is going to just volunteer their time at the soup kitchen for the love of it.

I actively enjoy talking about this game enough that explaining what works for me and why to new people is an enjoyable activity for me. No additional incentive required here.

However, the ability to gift newbies with a little premium time and take them to private matches for direct tutelage would be pretty useful too.

/edit: I mean without monetary cost to myself. I don't always have money handy, and actually fell short on buying Urbies due to a need to reallocate the budget I had set aside for it.

Edited by Tim East, 23 April 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#179 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:29 AM

I'm starting a training night in May for new pilots in my Unit to help them learn the basics, and I wouldn't mind helping other newbies as well. Right now though, there just isn't an easy way to do that.

#180 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:33 AM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 13 October 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Hey all,

I wanted to take the opportunity to raise a suggestions thread for a Mentorship system based around the game. I have often found that, since we are a team-based game: The guidance of a veteran player has frequently provided more of a direct benefit to new players than other systems, such as our tutorials and training grounds.

Try to keep in mind that some ideas may be easier to accomplish than others.
The more an idea may require of an engineer, designer, artist or other developers to accomplish and put into action, the more time it may invariably take to accomplish.

As such, any ideas which are readily achieved through tools already at our disposal such as the forums, account manager, and in-game with the present features would be equally if not more valuable here!

The first thing I can think of is dropping some bonus premium time to some of those who have stood as paragons of mentorship thus far in the New Player Help forum. Koniving and Redshift2k5 are the first on my list, feel free to nominate others for me to review. :)

I just noticed this old-ish thread. I created the guide in my sig. If PGI needs ideas for their own future integrated videos or interactive tutorials, feel free to cherry pick whatever you want. If you any additional thoughts on like trial 'mechs or player progression etc, feel free to contact me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users