We're Making Giant Mech Combat Into An Actual National Sport!

34 replies to this topic

#1 Gunther Davion

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hi folks,

Long time BattleTech and Mechwarrior gamer here, though I haven't been as active as I've wanted to be on MWO. I wanted to let you all know that my new startup, MegaBots Inc., is dedicated to building real-life mecha - 15 foot tall, 15,000 pound walking combat bipeds that seat two people (a dedicated driver and a gunner) and play the biggest game of paintball you've ever seen.

We've spent the past two years doing R&D on the custom weapon systems and robot powerplants, and have spent the past five months building two prototypes - an upper body prototype of a MegaBot, and an example turret emplacement. Check out the upper body prototype:

Posted Image

We're not joking around - these are real mecha, and we're looking to build at least two and fight them. You can see the concept art that we're working off of here:

Posted Image

Ten points to the first person who correctly guesses who's responsible for that concept art...

In about three weeks, we'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign to build two MegaBots and run the first live-action mecha tournament. I can *promise* you that you'll be interested in some of the Kickstarter levels, if you like playing MWO... and that's all I can say on the subject for now. We'll be releasing a lot more details over the next few weeks as to our longer-term plans, and specifics on how the game is played.

If you want to see giant mecha combat in real life, we're going to need your help, starting now. We need you to like and share our social media presence as far and wide as you can for the next three weeks, and when the Kickstarter campaign kicks off, we'll need you to put out the call again.

Our Facebook page (which has the most content/announcements) is here.
Our Twitter profile is here.
Our Instagram profile is here.

And you can check out a couple of news stories about us appearing with the prototype at the New York Comic Con this past weekend, if you want to learn more - Engadget covered us here, Maglomanic has a video of us here, and Business Insider named us one of the best exhibits at Comic Con!

Thanks folks. Let's take MWO and make it real, and get you all suited up in some real cockpits!

#2 StompingOnTanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

Are you serious? I can't believe this is not a hoax because this is too cool to be true.

#3 Gunther Davion

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

Absolutely serious in the this-has-been-the-last-two-years-of-my-life kind of way. My previous projects include work on BigDog, LS3, PETMAN, and a few other robots you might recognize from YouTube. Feel free to look up our LinkedIn profiles, check out our videos from Comic Con, and stay tuned for more information on how the game will be played!

#4 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

This is fantastic. I hope you succeed.

Will it take steps (walk) like Asimo ? Or will it "shuffle" ? (I saw a Japanese robot a while ago, it had legs, but shuffled on wheels in the feet)

#5 Gunther Davion

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

They're not mechs if they don't walk, and we haven't succeeded if they're not real mechs. They'll likely look like early ASIMO for the first year or two, with relatively small steps as we develop walking gaits. As we gain more confidence in the hardware and our control systems, the steps will become larger and ground speed will increase.

#6 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:37 PM

View PostGunther Davion, on 13 October 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

They're not mechs if they don't walk, and we haven't succeeded if they're not real mechs. They'll likely look like early ASIMO for the first year or two, with relatively small steps as we develop walking gaits. As we gain more confidence in the hardware and our control systems, the steps will become larger and ground speed will increase.

I cannot describe my excitement at this prospect.

Theoretically you could make any mech if this works ?

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 13 October 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#7 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

D: ... just... D:
I'm drooling!

You guys, just deserved my seal of approval, and earned all my curiosity. And one question: will you ever consider making a four legged mech? is it possible/convenient, or the troubles of designing/building a quad legged mech are just too many?

#8 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:22 AM

Looks awesome,
How do you power them, electical engine with battery? That should be sufficient for some short time paintball roboaction.

#9 Gunther Davion

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

Humanoid mechs will be far easier than chicken walker or goat legged mechs for the first little while, as their actuators aren't permanently loaded in a regular walking gait. You can expect to see more varieties after we get basic locomotion down with standard humanoid leg morphology.

Quads will be easier than bipeds, to be honest, and hexapods easier still. You can check out another giant robot I'm working on at www.projecthexapod.com - we're building a 6k pound hydraulic hexapod for way less money, with far simpler tech. We just wanted to stay away from those morphologies until people really buy into the sport, and we think going humanoid first is the way to do that.

And yes, the robots will be battery powered electric (with no tether), driving hydraulic actuators. We've spent the last two years designing hydraulic powerplants that fit into the limbs, which means... if the limbs take enough 'damage', we'll be blowing them off with explosive bolts.

#10 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

I'm surprised it isn't a quad.

#11 Gunther Davion

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

We just got in-depth coverage from Business Insider! Check the story out here for an inside scoop, preview of the ammo, and a look at our longer term plans.

#12 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

i would soooooooooooooo kick start this if i had the money

#13 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:54 AM

This is fething awesome and I would be throwing money at you right now if I had any. As it is Ill leave you with a promise of money.

And hell, let us know when this thing is up annd running, cant speak for the others but I know I want a go!

#14 kingalbertII

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:14 AM

wonder how you'll surpass the great miseries of walkers: power supply and the enormous stress on the leg joints

#15 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostkingalbertII, on 14 November 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

wonder how you'll surpass the great miseries of walkers: power supply and the enormous stress on the leg joints

With the glory of MAD SCIENCE!

#16 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:55 AM

Ho my god. I need to change my pants!

Sadly I cannot afford to back that. :(
Beside, that sport wouldn't not reach France I think. Robots and Mecha's aren't popular in my Country. :(

#17 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:49 AM

Until they show me a walking prototype, even a downsized one, my money's in my pocket.

#18 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

Im too lazy making a kickstarter account, isn't there a simple way to donate something via paypal without any ****** 3rd page registration?

#19 Bradleyusm

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

This was recently featured on tested.com

http://youtu.be/1maD5WzsEs8

#20 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts