27 replies to this topic

#1 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

So I'm looking for some experienced opinions on various IS assaults. I've piloted several, have several yet to try, and am overall underwhelmed thus far by any of their performances.

For perspective, I mainly pilot heavies and mediums(SHD, CTF, K2), so in an assault, I'm really looking for several key features which would cause me to pilot one over a heavy or med. 1-Endurance: This means staying power, damage absorption, usefulness late match, etc. 2-Firepower: How much raw alpha, or DoT is the chassis capable of, and 3-Mobility: How well it can get around the battlefield and effectively apply it's firepower.

So far with assaults, I haven not found any one line that seems to really excite me, nor do anything I can't do better in a heavy. I've been on the fence about what sort of assault to focus on, as in, the tanks, such as STK, BNC, Atlas, etc, or the ones that try to be more like a heavy, such as Victor, Awesome, and HGN. The tanks don't seem to absorb quite as much damage as I'd like, and tend to be focused very heavily the moment they're seen, thus making them a bit pointless to me. As for the others, I've yet to go down the Victor path, since the nerfs, plus I'm a bit leery of having so much firepower in large, easily destroyed arms. I have a HGN-733C that I enjoy immensely some matches, but others I just get focused and stomped before I even have a chance to apply dps. Same thing happened to me in BLRs, they're so tall, once you're committed, you're committed, and if your team backs off and leaves you, you're paper.

At first I really didn't like slower assaults, didn't like being at the mercy of my team when it came to positioning, fending off lights, etc, but I'm also wary of trying to play an assault like a lighter mech.

I'm very willing to admit that a large portion of my issues likely stem from simply too little time in assaults vs. other weight classes, but would really like some opinions on various IS assaults that others have had great success with.

Basically I just want your opinions and stories about the IS assaults that you've done the best in, consistently, and get the most out of daily. In an assault, I'm personally looking for real staying power, and more firepower than I could cram into a smaller mech, so I'm hoping that by reading some opinions and experiences I can get some inspiration of where to go with this weight class from here.

I can already guess two people that will come in lauding the Wubshee, and tbh Banshees do intrigue me, but I want to hear how you guys handle them being built like a mountain, how you do on heat, etc, for them and other assaults.

So in the long run, please let your opinions run rampant, be honest about what you love/hate about whichever assault, and in advance, thank you for your opinions.

Edited by Kodyn, 13 October 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#2 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

Stalkers tank like a beast. BEAST.

When the quirks come and the Victor gets un-nerfed, I expect we'll see Victors and Highlanders back in the fun-zone.

Also, I've REALLY enjoyed Awesomes. They aren't quite great yet - but they are fun.

Still ... STALKERS.

If you have the $, get the 3F (best torso movement), the Misery (ballistic mount!) and then any of the others. I mastered them all as direct-fire boats, no LRMs, and they were fun and really really survivable.

Edited by Macksheen, 13 October 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#3 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

I reposted this same thread on the Aces Wild forum, and so far their responses have been Victor-heavy as well, which is something I do hear a lot. Also a lot of people seem to think it's best to wait for the quirks pass to settle on an assault, since many of the lower-end models will hopefully be getting some help.

i have very little patience, and I'm an EVE guy, so I'm used to just buying and trying, then selling and trying more, which i know translates poorly into MWO lol, but I'll likely buy at least another assault or two between now and the quirks pass just to get a feel for them anyway.

As far as the STK goes, I would only need one more, I'm thinking 5S, to be able to Elite, so that's high on my list, along with the Victor and BNC, since those seem to be the other 2 that I'm hearing most. Only thing with the BNC is that I'm not fond of 2 out of 3 versions of it, as far as smuphy's builds go, so that may prove to be a huge pain to Elite/Master, would only likely go that direction if people really sell me on it.(I like the idea of a ballistics-heavy 3E most)

#4 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:46 AM

In terms of alpha damage its very hard to beat the Banshee, especially the 3S variant with 8E 1B 1M hardpoints (2x PPC, 6xML AC20 is a build ive run before), and the 3E is the best IS autocannon platform currently in existance

i used to love Highlanders when jumpjets worked (no, never poptarted), but the nerf to the HGN jets is so bad its not even worth 2 tons to equip one, so unless they fix that they are just worse Banshees with lower engine caps. OTOH Victor JJs give 2x the thrust for 1/2 the weight so they are more worthwhile.

Never played Stalkers but they do seem super tanky with Std engines, no ballistic hardpoints is a bit annoying for me though.

Don't get on with Battlemasters at all myself, though high mounted energy hardpoints are good.

Never played Atlas either, but aside from the assault ECM ability they always seemed BAD to me, such a gigantic shoot me profile with meh hardpoints.

Also never played awesomes, but again they dont seem awesome

my 2 cents? Banshee, Stalker or Victor, depending on quirk pass (and maybe Highlander if they ever fix its jumpjets so they are at least as powerful as the Victor ones, given the 2x tonnage i don't think that is unreasonable)

Edit: When the King Crab is released the chances are it will outclass every other IS assault, just something to think about.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 14 October 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#5 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

Drop the third one out of your head for almost all of the assaults. When the Victor gets un-nerfed, it will be your only real option as far as mobile assaults. You can have assaults that are slightly faster than other assaults, but every assault in the game gets run down by heavy mechs no problem.

This is the great weakness of the assault. All that firepower and armor is meaningless if you are engaging multiple targets without support. The entire focus of the assault pilot should be patiently reading the match, watching how things play out and waiting for the exact moment he/she needs to burn up their mech to secure a win for the team. Sure, assaults can pack more firepower than other mechs, but as you said they attract too much aggro for them to effectively apply it. Heavies almost always outperform assaults, simply because heavies have the speed and mobility to engage and disengage as needed. Once the assault mech hits the enemy force, you are either killing every mech in front of you or dying spectacularly; usually the latter, especially in PUG matches.

I am a dedicated assault jock. I always play tanks/mighty glaciers in games, and the gameplay here is no different. It's all about patiently waiting for the right moment to use the fact that you're slightly tougher than everyone else to bail your teammates out before eating the dirt. Don't get me wrong, I often have great matches where I'll break 600-800 damage and score multiple kills, but that's more a matter of me outmaneuvering the enemy and hitting them at exactly the right moment, crumbling their line.

That said, I love all the assaults, and they're all my huge murderous children.

The Victor is probably closest to what you're looking for. It has the speed and agility of a heavy, while having the hitboxes and armor to go toe to toe with every heavy in the game and come out on top.

The Awesome is in a sad state, and while I enjoy it for it's challenge I can't recommend it in any serious capacity.

The Stalker is fantastic. It's tough as nails and mounts some very potent loadouts. However, it's as slow and ponderous as a blimp, and it really suffers in a close fight thanks to it's poor torso twist and lack of lower arm actuators.

The Battlemaster is also fantastic, offering a faster, more agile version of the Stalker with some ballistic options. I strongly prefer energy heavy loadouts that take good advantage of those great shoulder hardpoints, and I've had some serious success with the old girl.

The Highlander is an oddity. It's one of the slowest and most ponderous assaults, matching the Atlas for speed profile, and it's hardpoints force it into a mixed loadout. It eats up a lot of tonnage with jump jets, and it lacks the armor to really go toe to toe with the heavier assaults. That in mind, used correctly it's jump jets and mixed loadout make it a threat at all ranges, and a skilled pilot in a Highlander can be a serious threat.

The Banshee is the king of all boats, presenting a serious threat with both it's energy and ballistics heavy designs. It's kept in check by poor maneuverability, large hitboxes, and ponderous speed. It's the closest IS assault to matching the Dire Wolf for raw firepower, but it generally can't compete due to it's much taller profile and worse hitboxes.

The Atlas is the brawling king of the assaults. It has fantastic hitboxes and a rock solid design, but it suffers terribly in long range combat. Low slung weapons and a high profile are not as detrimental in a close quarters face grind, but when it comes to the opening blows of a match, the Atlas is forced to sit behind cover and wait for an opening. It can't play peekaboo, it can't pop tart, it has terrible hardpoints for LRMing, and it generally has to sit around with a thumb up it's shiny metal butt until the fight closes in.

These are my experiences with the IS assaults.

#6 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

Great responses, giving me a lot to think about. Fighting so hard against my EVE-bred impulsivity...I just want to buy the assaults I haven't tried and take them for a spin, but it's such a cbill investment that I could set myself back weeks of grinding by doing so. Really wish the Public Test Server was always up, so i'd have a way to test various assaults I haven't yet tried..

That's why I value these opinions so much, and I've been watching a lot of videos featuring various assault chassis. Greatly appreciate the responses so far, looking forward to seeing more.

#7 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

The Banshee is a beast, the 3E and 3S models especially. I have had good success running the 3M as a quick moving pulse laser boat. That would be my pick.

Runner up is the Battlemaster. Great shoulder energy hardpoints, ballistic options, good speed.

#8 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

For leading a push, the Atlas is king, but a Highlander or Stalker will also do well. Just make sure your teammates are pushing with you. Assaults are generally not fast enough to rush back out of a brawl that starts to go sour.

LRM support, the Stalker is king with the Awesome 8R also being excellent as is the Highlander 733P. Most other assaults are mediocre LRM platforms in comparison.

Sheer firepower (read: alpha strike damage) you can't beat the Banshee. Those things fit almost clan-like loadouts. Heat efficiency is an issue, of course, but the ability to just smash a mech with a powerful alpha is pretty good.

Damage over time / DPS belongs to the Awesome. The quirks that give Awesome's a huge boost to heat efficiency are excellent. My Awesome 9M has 4xERLL (well into ghost heat territory) and can alpha them all and only hits ~40% heat. On top of that, the Devs have said they're going to strip the Awesome of it's current heat quirks....because they don't go far enough. So the DPS/DoT of the Awesome is only going to improve in the next few patches.

Highlanders did suffer a lot with the JJ nerf, but they're still decent mechs, mostly for fire support to other assaults (sort of like the Warhawk for the clans). You can lead a charge with a Highlander if an Atlas isn't available, but make double sure your teammates are sticking with you.

Can't speak to the Victors, don't own them, but they seem like they'll be very good close support mechs once the agility nerfs are removed.

#9 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

I'll go down the list of the Assaults I own.

I'll start with...

STALKERS
Stalkers, as most people will point out, are boats. They suffer from being blimp-shaped, so you have to get in the habit of looking right at your target so as not expose that huuuuuuge silhouette to the enemy (pretty much the opposite of every other mech out there).

You have to pilot these things like crocodiles: you want to sneak up on people and juuuuust peak over a hill to hit shoot them with your high-mounted arm lasers. You'll never be fast, though, and you should never, never, never mount an XL engine. I also wouldn't recommend going less than a STD 300 in one, or you're just going to be too slow.

When I say "slow" I don't really mean foot-speed, either - I'm mostly talking about your ability to twist and spin in place. With something less than a 300 in there, a Jenner or other Light can get you in a death-circle and you're toast. Still, a Stalker can mount a TON of weapons. My advice is start with full armor (65 in the legs for a nice round number), Endo, DHS (duh), and a STD 300-310 and then build it out from there.

HIGHLANDER
Well, you've seen enough of these. They're one of the more mobile heavy Assaults, as they have the Jump Jets, but really, that's more just for getting over the little rocks, bouncing past a friendly, or whatever.

Highlander's a good Assault and gives you some room for error. The missile one should probably be build out as an LRM boat, since it's one of the better ones in the game. The others have a good blend of ballistics and lasers.

They're good long-range hitters and good brawlers. Follow the rules with all assaults - herd up. Torso twist. Finally, Highlanders are one of the few big assaults that can mount an XL. They last longer without them, but it's not the death sentence it is in other Assaults, given the Highlander's ability to get out of trouble.

ATLAS
Big daddy. With low-slung arm and torso weapons, the Atlas is a brawler. While it's a fad now to toss LRMs on a DDC and call it good, but you slap SRM 4s or 6s in there and this thing will plow through the enemy.

Downside is that no one is surprised by an Atlas: you WILL be the target of every enemy until you are dead. Because of this, NEVER go for less than full armor (although you can go a little lighter on the legs - no lighter than 65-72). You have to be very tactical about when you push, but when you do, realize you're probably going to die, BUT you will do enough damage, and suck up enough damage, that your team will win the match.

You need to be an advanced pilot to make an Atlas effective: you have to know how to torso twist, you have to get three mastered, you have to be able to accurately place your shots to make your (probably short) time in a brawl count.

Put the big guns in this one: AC20, two LB10Xs, SRM6s, etc. Last piece of advice: STD engine and try not to move slower than 60kph.

BATTLEMASTER
The Battlemaster is meant to be a fairly zippy assault. MWO did right by it by making the hitboxes favorable to an XL engine. You don't have to run an XL, but it does allow you the mobility and speed that's the cornerstone of this mech.

Build-wise, you want your brawling weapons in your arm, but you'll also have 4-6 energy ports mounted way high on your shoulders. You can put ERLLs, PPCs, and other long-range weapons here and pull off the same tactic as a Stalker (just barely poking your head over a hill to shoot at people a long ways off).

You can brawl in these, but you can't really solo with them unless you're mixing it up one-on-one with a Medium or Heavy. Think of the Battlemaster as the ultimate Heavy and build it out that way. Run with the zippier heavies in your group and you'll have a good time.

Then again, all those energy ports, and the XL-friendly hitboxes, mean you can run a slower version with much heavier weapons. Battlemaster is a hot mech, so plan your weapons to be fired in groups or chainfire or you'll spend most of the match shut down.

BANSHEE
Banshees are a lot of fun ONCE you have them Elited out. Until then, it's about as much fun as piloting a beached manatee.

Banshees can tank a lot of damage, and they *can* mount XLs, but will stay in the game far longer with a STD. They have huge arms that rarely mount weapons, so can be used as 60-point damage sinks for torso twisting. Most can zombie up, which doesn't matter, since you'll usually be cored out.

Banshees have a good mix of weapons, but mostly center around energy weapons - ie. it runs HOT. Plan accordingly with your DHS.

Banshees are surprisingly good brawlers for not having a lot of arm weapons. Of course, to fill this role, you need a bigger engine to torso twist. Because of all those torso-mounted weapons, you'll take most of your damage to your face, since you have to look at the enemy to hit them. This makes the Banshee a less-effective brawler than the Atlas, but it can still tank if you're careful. You get used to "glancing" at the enemy: spin, shoot, spin away.

I suggest mounting smaller weapons (MLs, AC10s, etc) and a bigger engine, if possible, than going the tempting Atlas route and slapping in the biggest weapons possible.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 14 October 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#10 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

As an assault driver, there's some great guidance here by my fellow pilots. I haven't much to add other than to say, given some stick time, you'll grow to enjoy assaults. They're not as snappy as the mechs you've been using and, let's be honest, they're not as survivable as you might think. But used right, they are a presence on the battlefield. They can be a morale booster, perhaps especially in PUGs where no one knows anyone else. Personally, I love my Atlases. My Stalker 3F with four large lasers and twenty something DHS is a surprisingly effective melter of enemy mechs. The Battlemaster can be quite versatile and can boat LRMs pretty well. I dig the high mounted medium lasers (or whatever laser you choose). The only IS assault I'm not very effective with is the Highlander, but I don't have a lot of time in one. For some reason I just don't care for the "feel" of that mech. I see a lot of potential in the Banshee too, but haven't piloted mine enough to become confident in them. Everyone loves the Victor, but I rank that as a third in my stable after the Atlas and the Stalker. As with most things, opinions vary. But just about every mech in the game can be used to devastating effect given the right build coupled with the right pilot.

#11 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

The question I'd like to ask the OP is whether you enjoy a challenge or enjoy something that's easier to do well in? If it's a challenge, then I'd take the Awesome or Atlas. Something you'd do well in more easily, then Stalkers and Victors after their unnerf.

You also have to realize that no IS assault can really tank all that much these days. Against clan DPS builds, full Atlas torso armor will melt off in about 3-4 seconds, which is about the time it takes for that mech to peek out of cover, take a shot, and get back. You'll notice that the "good" assaults are able to minimize exposure while dealing their damage, something that AS7s and AWS can't do. You'll have to think of armor more as a cushion for your piloting mistakes rather than something you're trying to get enemies to shoot at.

#12 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:06 AM

View PostVoivode, on 14 October 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

LRM support, the Stalker is king with the Awesome 8R also being excellent as is the Highlander 733P. Most other assaults are mediocre LRM platforms in comparison.

The Stalker is NOT king of LRMs, at all.. big LRM boats kinda need XL engines due to the weight of the launchers and amount of ammo required, and stalkers do not take XLs well, also other than one model the stalker has terrible tube counts and will vomit missiles in an almost clan launcher like way.

Best IS Assault missile boats are the Awesome 8R, Battlemaster 1S and Highlander 733 and 733P, if you are running an assault LRM platform it should be one of those.

#13 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:28 AM

I pilot primary low tonnage medium; Blackjack, Vindicator, Hunchback; and have start expanding into heavy and assault few months ago.

Personally, I enjoy the Awesome and Battlemaster.
1-Endurance:
Both Awesome and Battlemaster have a wide torso.
Most people look at it as a disadvantage, but to me it means I can roll damage across all 3 torso easily and extend my mech's survivability.
Many time I finish a match with one or both side torso missing and still fighting.
The Awesome's CT damage reduction quirk and head laser makes it a good zombie assault.

2-Firepower:
Depending on what role you want the mech to play in, it can pack either FLD or DOT loadout.
The Awesome 8Q can go triple or quad PPC with enough weight and space for DHS, and their heat quirk will keep them relatively cool.
I run a mix build on my 8Q with 2xPPC and 5xMPL with a STD 300, it can support and brawl quite well.
My favourite Battlemaster is the 1S as a brawler, with 4x ML, 2x ASRM6 and a ALRM10, powered with STD 350 engine. Also the 1D Wubmaster brawler with 4x MPL, 1x LPL and 3x MG, again running a STD 350 engine.

3-Mobility:
Assault usually have the tonnage to fit atleast a 300 rating engine.
A Battlemaster with 350 engine can go 67kph stock and about 74kph after Speed Tweak, enough to keep up with the heavies.
Awesome only have access to 300 rating engine, which put them at 60kph stock and 66kph after ST, however they make up for the lack of speed with good torso twist agility and long range energy weapons.

#14 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:03 AM

This is a terrific thread and most of what I would contribute has already been covered.

One note I'd like to make is that mech geometry in terms of the placement of weapons on the model is much more important in assaults than in any other class. The assaults with high mounted weapons, like the Stalker and Battlemaster, play very differently than mechs with low-slung weapons like the Atlas and Banshee. The latter are much more of an all-in proposition—to engage you are stepping out of cover and committing. With the former it's much easier to peek and snipe while advancing. You still need to pick your moment to step in, as was admirably explained above, but you can trade shots while keeping an eye on the action. I think part of the reason JJ assaults have been popular is they help sidestep this issue by easily bringing low mounted weapons to bear easily.

Of course, this can be said of all mechs but assaults are so ponderous you will notice it a lot more.

#15 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:13 AM

Can't speak to all the assaults, however, of the ones I did master-elited out all variants in the following except the Highlander, I gave up after two variants. that said:
Stalker, Atlas, Banshee, Highlander..........I kept the Banshee. I might have kept the AtlasDDC, but the attention that thing used to generate, all eyes focused, without support, even with support....you could almost be surrounded by cored crippled mediums and STILL receive the bulk of incoming.

Now...the DDC might be viable again, the Direwhale is the new king of target.

My Banshee still holds its own. Fast enough to keep up with most mechs, heavily armored enough to stare down almost anything, and versatile...even if you dont go the standard cheese builds, and there is a REASON the cheese builds are popular...they WORK!!!!

#16 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:23 AM

Theres alot of good info in this thread but... I highly reccomend anyone interested in any IS chassis to wait for the quirk pass, conventional wisdom might change ALOT.

#17 DasSibby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:28 AM

For me I have two IS Assaults I pilot.

1. Stalker.

2. Atlas DDC.

The Stalker is by far my favorite for sheer power. I equip 5 medium lazers, and 5 SRM 6's, and a STD engine and roll into battle at 57mph.

It's fast enough to surprise or outrun heavies, and after I hit them with a 5 medium lazer barrage I just chainfire my SRMs until everything in front of me is dead.

The Atlas is a mixed bag for me. The ECM is nice and adds a legit bonus to teamplay.... but you have to stick with your team (and vice versa) It's not as fast as the Stalker, and packs less firepower. While you can torso twist, the hit detection problems with the SRMS means you can't single-salvo them and expect a full damage registry, so that's basically 1/3 of your weapons that don't work well with Torso-twist. If you went with a AC20 and 2 PPC's... it's a bit better, but that's up to personal taste. Also keep in mind that the AC20 seems to get destroyed... REALLY easy. It's also the first thing people aim for.

I do love the Atlas's look though! And with the quirk pass potentially making them the damage sponges they're supposed to be... it might be worth it being an Atlas pilot again! :D

#18 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

More great and helpful responses, thank you all.

I think the recurring point of the quirks pass is definitely something that will be a huge influence on my final decisions for assaults to stick with, as that'll really change the way a lot of these chassis work atm.

While I'm going to still be looking at other assaults that serve in differing roles, so far I have picked up a new Stalker, since I only needed 1 in order to be able to Elite, and I wanted to see how I did with a direct-fire variant, as opposed to the missile boats I had used as a noob. Got to say I am thoroughly enjoying driving it so far, though it handles and fights very differently than a lot of other mechs I'm used to. Finding it's tankiness compared to the BLR, HGN, and even Atlas(due to attention) to be superior.

Still looking into 1-2 other assault lines to supplement it, as I'd like some ballistics-heavy big guys, as well as a more mobile assault, which is kind of leaving me poised between Victor, HGN, and Banshee, with HGN being the only one I have experience with of the 3, so I really may have to see how the quirks go for the HGN and BNC lines before spending any more CBills.

As for the guy who asked me what my goals were with assaults-very good question, and I'm sure that would have helped people to know beforehand, but I really couldn't answer it right away. Part of my issue with assaults was that I knew I wanted to be able to field a few, but wasn't sure what roles I'd like to use them in, since they work so differently than Meds and Heavies. I can't use them in the same ways for the same things as my other mechs, so I needed to see how I did in some before even deciding what I wanted to do with them.

At this point, I think i need several, because I'll be using different assaults for different purposes. I spend a good amount of time in the solo queue, but the rest of my time is spent in group with my unit, and the tactics, play styles, and opponents are completely different. I've found that while one assault may be amazing for me in PUGs, it just doesn't fit into our drop decks for group, or can't keep up, etc, and another may be perfect for company drops, may never get a chance to shine in most PUG matches. This was a much less noticeable issue with meds-heavies for me, so it's been something I've had to take into consideration as I research and test out assaults. So while that probably still doesn't answer the question specifically enough about what I want from assaults, I've found the answers given on this thread to be very helpful in fueling my thought processes and further research into various mechs regardless.

#19 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:20 AM

One thing to be aware of, and I’ve seen people make this mistake quite a lot, is that basically, if you want to be efficient, weight classes kind of have speed limits – sure, you can make an 80 ton victor move at the same speed as a 75 ton Timberwolf, but it requires a 400 rated engine rather than a 375, which weighs 7 tons more, i.e. you’ve now got an assault that moves at the same speed as a heavy, and has 2 tons LESS spare tonnage to use. My point is that the higher rated engines start weighing a disproportionate amount more, and if you want to use the tonnage of an assault effectively, you need to accept that it wont go very fast.

Imo speed ranges to aim for (and this is obviously only a ballpark figure) are: Mediums: 90-100 kph, Heavies 70-85kph, assaults 55-70 (values are after speed tweak)

TL:DR – making as assault as fast as a heavy is a waste of tonnage, you are better off taking a heavy, and outside of very specific builds I would never advise using an engine rated higher than 350 as the tonnage cost starts being out of whack for the speed gain.

This obviously does not apply to Clans, since you cannot choose engine size (and is why the Man’O’War will probably be DOA, a 400 engine in an 80 ton mech is daft)

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 16 October 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#20 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:39 AM

Wait till the Awesomes get tweaked a teir 5 mech currently as they're regarded as pretty poor (errrr.) I may be biased but if PGI do it correctly (sniggers). Those that have stuck with them so far will be very dangerous, load them up with SRM's an large lasers always use a std engine, relocate a lot of armour to the front make sure your generous with the front ctr armour, drop the head and legs a bit. And most importantly for the Awesome be aggressive with it, charge, face hug, bully, harass. A running away Awesome is a dead Awesome. It depends on your play style though.

I do like the Victor too but only played the Trial one it didn't feel as dopey and cumbersome as the other assualts but again like the awesome that's because its a 'light' assualt, highlander was very meh for me. Couldn't get on with the Atlas at all i'd rather inflict damage than spend the whole game pondering about receiving it. The stalker, Like it in MW4 don't like it in MWO.

Edited by mad kat, 16 October 2014 - 02:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users