Arty/air Is Out Of Control

49 replies to this topic

Poll: Arty/Air Strike Cooldown Times (75 member(s) have cast votes)

Should arty & air strikes have a longer cooldown time?

1. No, I enjoy getting headshot by the zero-skilled. MORE arty please!! (43 votes [57.33%])

Percentage of vote: 57.33%

2. Yes! Current cool-down time is ridonkulously low! (32 votes [42.67%])

Percentage of vote: 42.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

This game has evolved.. correction, devolved into one fat arty-fest. It looks like more and more players are using the auto-reload option for arties or as I keep getting told, people have an OVERabundance of C-bills and don't mind using arties every, single, game!

Something needs to be done FAST because this is NOT fun. When you can get struck by arty 3 or 4 times in under a minute or two, that is NOT fun. When someone with zero skill can get a kill or severely damage you, that is NOT fun.

Somethings needs to be done and I am opening the floor here to hear some suggestions. True mechwarriors must agree that artillery and air-strikes are not for the skilled. To start this topic off, I suggest that arty strikes have a 'cooldown' time of at least 1 minute. What is it now? 9 seconds or something? Really PGI? Are you trying to make sure everyone gets a chance to blow their 40K in cbills? Well it's working and it's totally ruining this game.

I say at least 1 minute cool down on strikes.. this gives all or most players enough time to deploy and the arties are more spread out throughout the match. It's a win-win for both PGI and Players, now, who's with me?

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 14 October 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#2 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

Arty is annoying, yes, but in no way OP or warranting much of a change.

#3 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

The deployment needs more of a skill mechanic added to it. Either a smoke pot should be dropped "drive by style" and /or tied into TAG ie: must hold TAG on target until strike hits.

Edited by Ryokens leap, 02 November 2014 - 09:13 AM.

#4 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostBurktross, on 14 October 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

Arty is annoying, yes, but in no way OP or warranting much of a change.

Ok but even by your own reasoning, it DOES need change. Does increasing cool-down time take us in the right direction in your opinion?

#5 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 14 October 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

This game has evolved.. correction, devolved into one fat arty-fest. It looks like more and more players are using the auto-reload option for arties or as I keep getting told, people have an OVERabundance of C-bills and don't mind using arties every, single, game!

Something needs to be done FAST because this is NOT fun. When you can get struck by arty 3 or 4 times in under a minute or two, that is NOT fun. When someone with zero skill can get a kill or severely damage you, that is NOT fun.

Somethings needs to be done and I am opening the floor here to hear some suggestions. True mechwarriors must agree that artillery and air-strikes are not for the skilled. To start this topic off, I suggest that arty strikes have a 'cooldown' time of at least 1 minute. What is it now? 9 seconds or something? Really PGI? Are you trying to make sure everyone gets a chance to blow their 40K in cbills? Well it's working and it's totally ruining this game.

I say at least 1 minute cool down on strikes.. this gives all or most players enough time to deploy and the arties are more spread out throughout the match. It's a win-win for both PGI and Players, now, who's with me?

Wow, can we say, "Leading Questions Much?"

Your poll's wording and the anger in your tone really don't help your cause any. Frankly, since the spacing, splash, and damage nerfs were implemented, I feel that arties are a bit underpowered. In the books, when an artillery strike made a direct hit on a BattleMech, it would pretty much annihilate it. Now strikes don't really do all that much. I've both deployed and been the target of strikes that failed to deal damage, despite the targets remaining within the strike zone for the strike's full duration. Now that's frustrating.

To be honest, they really don't scare me that much anymore. Most of the time, they just turn my armor a light yellow and deal a couple percent's worth of damage (I'm chiefly a Medium pilot, btw). This has led to me being cautious of them, but not overly worried about them. I also do not often see them dropped in rapid succession. Strikes tend to auto-correct; once one hits, everyone scatters and follow up strikes are harder to make. I would say that, if you are getting hit four times in succession, you need to rediscover your Mech's legs and change position. The biggest determinant of whether or not you fall victim to a strike is whether or not you move around. Static players like you are strike fodder. Mobile players like me only get hit once every half-dozen games or more.

As for overabundance of C-bills goes, I don't know about you, but I typically hover around 5 million because of my spending habits (I'm constantly buying new Mechs and equipment). Because of my tight finances, I let the cost for strikes come out of my earnings. When you lost a match, you gain about 40 or 50 thousand C-bills. Strikes are only 40 thousand. Even if you lose, you still recoup your economic loss from the strike, so it's hard to accuse strikes of being a consumable for the fabulously wealthy.

Luck to you in the game but, please, stop griefing and demanding more nerfs. Let's leave some things as they are and quit trying to turn this game into a mechanized spitballing match. ;)

#6 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 14 October 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Wow, can we say, "Leading Questions Much?"

Your poll's wording and the anger in your tone really don't help your cause any. Frankly, since the spacing, splash, and damage nerfs were implemented, I feel that arties are a bit underpowered. In the books, when an artillery strike made a direct hit on a BattleMech, it would pretty much annihilate it. Now strikes don't really do all that much. I've both deployed and been the target of strikes that failed to deal damage, despite the targets remaining within the strike zone for the strike's full duration. Now that's frustrating.

To be honest, they really don't scare me that much anymore. Most of the time, they just turn my armor a light yellow and deal a couple percent's worth of damage (I'm chiefly a Medium pilot, btw). This has led to me being cautious of them, but not overly worried about them. I also do not often see them dropped in rapid succession. Strikes tend to auto-correct; once one hits, everyone scatters and follow up strikes are harder to make. I would say that, if you are getting hit four times in succession, you need to rediscover your Mech's legs and change position. The biggest determinant of whether or not you fall victim to a strike is whether or not you move around. Static players like you are strike fodder. Mobile players like me only get hit once every half-dozen games or more.

As for overabundance of C-bills goes, I don't know about you, but I typically hover around 5 million because of my spending habits (I'm constantly buying new Mechs and equipment). Because of my tight finances, I let the cost for strikes come out of my earnings. When you lost a match, you gain about 40 or 50 thousand C-bills. Strikes are only 40 thousand. Even if you lose, you still recoup your economic loss from the strike, so it's hard to accuse strikes of being a consumable for the fabulously wealthy.

Luck to you in the game but, please, stop griefing and demanding more nerfs. Let's leave some things as they are and quit trying to turn this game into a mechanized spitballing match. ;)

Already in your first few sentences, your argument is FLAWED.. ok each arty strike on its own is weak enough, but multiply that by 4 or 5 and what do you get? Does anyone ever take time to read the argument properly? The problem is the FREQUENCY and NOT THE STRENGTH of arty/air strikes. At 5 second cooldown times, how mobile can you be in a heavy or assault? Are you kidding me right now?

As for overabundance, I see people dropping arties at end of game when the game is definitely lost to them and whenever I ask 'why waste 40k?' the answer is always the same... ''I have 100 million C-bills so why not,'' (or some crazy amounts like that).

I really wish people would stop saying 'stop the nerfing' when obviously there are MANY flaws in the game. The pop-tarters are a thing of the past, can you guess why? NERFING. So does this mean you want to see a comeback of tarters Nightmare? I highly doubt it. So whether you call it 'nerfing' or 'tweaking,' personally I like to call it 'fine-tuning,' this game NEEDS IT!

If you aren't exaggerating and are actually lucky-enough to never get artied 4 times in under a minute, the possibility is still there, and I've experienced it many times. They need to make it impossible to arty/air strike at least no more than twice in one minute.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 14 October 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#7 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

I'll not moderate here, as DAEDALOS513 opening posts does indeed contain a suggestion, though not very constructive formulated. I'll give you the friendly advise to cool your head a little before you answer again and if you do, try to keep the hyperbole out of it..

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 14 October 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

At 5 second cooldown times, how mobile can you be in a heavy or assault? Are you kidding me right now?

Cooldown is not 5 Seconds, it's 30!

If you are talking about the time from deployment to impact, I can get away from those in an assault, even the dreaded slow DWF, easy enough. Don't stand still in one place or move predicable and artillery and air strikes will be much less of a problem. Not once have I died to one of those yet.

So despite your leading answers, I answered with "No".

Edited by Egomane, 14 October 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#8 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostEgomane, on 14 October 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Cooldown is not 5 Seconds, it's 30!

If you are talking about the time from deployment to impact, I can get away from those in an assault, even the dreaded slow DWF, easy enough. Don't stand still in one place or move predicable and artillery and air strikes will be much less of a problem. Not once have I died to one of those yet.

So despite your leading answers, I answered with "No".

What are you talking about 30 seconds? You are wrong as I've witnessed it myself in-game. Show me documentation that says 30 seconds please.

I don't die either but it's annoying losing armor to unskilled that can arty 4 times in one minute. Makes no sense and ruins enjoyment of game. Many people commenting in-game have same opinion.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 14 October 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#9 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

I'm sorry, we are both wrong!

The actual time is 10 seconds:
http://mwomercs.com/...trike-feedback/

Doesn't change my answer though!

#10 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

I'm all for a higher cooldown on strikes as long as their damage was increased again. I can stand in the middle of an arty as a jenner and feel multiple shells plink on my armour like rain on a warm summer night. It's kinda pathetic. Yeah, they do add up, but I think that takes the fun and tactics out of it and just makes it a red smoke fest. So yes, I'm in favour of a higher cooldown but with proportionally higher damage.

Edited by Tarogato, 14 October 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#11 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostEgomane, on 14 October 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

I'm sorry, we are both wrong!

The actual time is 10 seconds:
http://mwomercs.com/...trike-feedback/

Doesn't change my answer though!

You we're wrong, or was it HYPERBOLE?!? jk.. :P

Actually that's an old article you referenced.. I would hardly be surprised if they reduced the time since then to compensate for C-bills not being spent due to players no longer being able to equip both air and arty strike. I would like to see recent documentation showing cooldown time but alas, it eludes me..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 14 October 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#12 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

I think increasing cool down would limit the ability to break the blob. They aren't dangerous enough, alone, to do so at the moment.

#13 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 14 October 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

Already in your first few sentences, your argument is FLAWED.. ok each arty strike on its own is weak enough, but multiply that by 4 or 5 and what do you get? Does anyone ever take time to read the argument properly? The problem is the FREQUENCY and NOT THE STRENGTH of arty/air strikes. At 5 second cooldown times, how mobile can you be in a heavy or assault? Are you kidding me right now?

As for overabundance, I see people dropping arties at end of game when the game is definitely lost to them and whenever I ask 'why waste 40k?' the answer is always the same... ''I have 100 million C-bills so why not,'' (or some crazy amounts like that).

I really wish people would stop saying 'stop the nerfing' when obviously there are MANY flaws in the game. The pop-tarters are a thing of the past, can you guess why? NERFING. So does this mean you want to see a comeback of tarters Nightmare? I highly doubt it. So whether you call it 'nerfing' or 'tweaking,' personally I like to call it 'fine-tuning,' this game NEEDS IT!

If you aren't exaggerating and are actually lucky-enough to never get artied 4 times in under a minute, the possibility is still there, and I've experienced it many times. They need to make it impossible to arty/air strike at least no more than twice in one minute.

Wow, you're really rabid over this.

Okay, let's see...yes, multiple arties in a match can be troublesome, but in a fifteen minute window, five arties is reasonable. That's one arty for every three minutes of the match if you average it. They may all come at once or they may be spread out; however, such an average is a reasonable expectation.

The reason why people drop them at the end of a match is not because they have an "overabundance" of C-bills. It's because you glean 40k at the end of a match even if you lose, so there's really no reason not to launch a strike in a farewell act of defiance. The only time it becomes costly is if you pair that with another 40k consumable to put you 40k into the hole. Otherwise, the match winnings cover the cost of the arty easily. This "overabundance" to which you refer is really not the issue, although it sounds as though you would like to make it one (I'm guessing you want a C-bill nerf next?).

Sure there are flaws in the game, but you can't nerf every patch. That discourages the player base. You also shouldn't make drastic nerfs because that shocks the system. The latest nerfs to strikes made them very well balanced, I think, even if they are underpowered. The frequency of strikes was especially effected (roughly halved) since you can no longer equip two strikes on your Mech, and are reduced to a single strike only. As for intervals, well, I do not often see rapid-fire strikes. Like I said previously, smart pilots keep moving and don't sit around long enough for strikes to find them. Noobs will start moving after the strike hits them. It's only the truly dumb who stand around and wait for the second strike to land. As such, rapid-fire strikes don't occur that often, in my games, because people usually scatter out after the first one and avoid presenting a target for any follow-ups. I've even seen some games that lacked strikes completely.

I'm not exaggerating. If you don't believe me, check out some of my Twitch broadcasts and highlights; they're evidence enough that strikes do not occur nearly as often as you claim. To be honest, you're the only person I know who can get hit four times in less than three minutes. I really encourage you to start walking around more with your Mech. I'm guessing you are a sniper, which would explain why you are so stationary. Moving around will not only keep you from getting artied, but it will also prevent the enemy from pinpointing your location and killing you as easily as if you had simply remained still.

As for time to land, once a strike is triggered you have plenty of time to escape. Like Egomane said, even the slow Daishis can get out of the way if their pilots are alert. Air Strikes are the easiest to avoid since they are proceeded by a jet; as soon as you see the jet, move twenty meters to the side and wait. Four seconds later, the strike will land and you can watch it in all its glory without suffering damage.

So...basically...you don't need another nerf. You just need to play smarter. ;)

If you'd like, I'll let you drop with me sometime and teach you a bit about movement mechanics and gameplay. I do not mean this mockingly or as an insult; I'm serious. A lot of folks have trouble piloting slow Mechs. I'm willing to teach you a few things if you are up for it. :)

#14 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 14 October 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

Wow, you're really rabid over this.

Okay, let's see...yes, multiple arties in a match can be troublesome, but in a fifteen minute window, five arties is reasonable. That's one arty for every three minutes of the match if you average it. They may all come at once or they may be spread out; however, such an average is a reasonable expectation.

The reason why people drop them at the end of a match is not because they have an "overabundance" of C-bills. It's because you glean 40k at the end of a match even if you lose, so there's really no reason not to launch a strike in a farewell act of defiance. The only time it becomes costly is if you pair that with another 40k consumable to put you 40k into the hole. Otherwise, the match winnings cover the cost of the arty easily. This "overabundance" to which you refer is really not the issue, although it sounds as though you would like to make it one (I'm guessing you want a C-bill nerf next?).

Sure there are flaws in the game, but you can't nerf every patch. That discourages the player base. You also shouldn't make drastic nerfs because that shocks the system. The latest nerfs to strikes made them very well balanced, I think, even if they are underpowered. The frequency of strikes was especially effected (roughly halved) since you can no longer equip two strikes on your Mech, and are reduced to a single strike only. As for intervals, well, I do not often see rapid-fire strikes. Like I said previously, smart pilots keep moving and don't sit around long enough for strikes to find them. Noobs will start moving after the strike hits them. It's only the truly dumb who stand around and wait for the second strike to land. As such, rapid-fire strikes don't occur that often, in my games, because people usually scatter out after the first one and avoid presenting a target for any follow-ups. I've even seen some games that lacked strikes completely.

I'm not exaggerating. If you don't believe me, check out some of my Twitch broadcasts and highlights; they're evidence enough that strikes do not occur nearly as often as you claim. To be honest, you're the only person I know who can get hit four times in less than three minutes. I really encourage you to start walking around more with your Mech. I'm guessing you are a sniper, which would explain why you are so stationary. Moving around will not only keep you from getting artied, but it will also prevent the enemy from pinpointing your location and killing you as easily as if you had simply remained still.

As for time to land, once a strike is triggered you have plenty of time to escape. Like Egomane said, even the slow Daishis can get out of the way if their pilots are alert. Air Strikes are the easiest to avoid since they are proceeded by a jet; as soon as you see the jet, move twenty meters to the side and wait. Four seconds later, the strike will land and you can watch it in all its glory without suffering damage.

So...basically...you don't need another nerf. You just need to play smarter. ;)

If you'd like, I'll let you drop with me sometime and teach you a bit about movement mechanics and gameplay. I do not mean this mockingly or as an insult; I'm serious. A lot of folks have trouble piloting slow Mechs. I'm willing to teach you a few things if you are up for it. :)

What? Since when is an average match 15minutes? I'd say it's closer to 5-7 minutes.. rarely does a match go beyond that. Also, since when are arties spread out evenly during a match. The problem is COOLDOWN. The problem is that they can drop 5 arties in one minute if a team was so inclined (and coordinated 12man try-hards do it, believe me). So again your very first argument is null.

Secondly, I wasn't guessing, you must have missed it, but I actually ASK people why they drop arty when it's utterly hopeless or end of game. They say MANY TIMES that they are LOADED with money. I am shocked how many times people say they have millions and millions of cbills. Also, just because you make up the 40K lost at end of match, doesn't mean it isn't costing you anything. You are still paying 40K in cbills.. don't u see this? Do you understand basic economics?

You say arty and air strikes were nerfed because you can't equip both now?! What? It wasn't nerfed, it was QUICKLY reverted BACK to the way it was prior because it was a ridiculous decision in the first place to allow both to be equipped on one mech.

Only noobs don't move around? What?! Have you ever heard of defending a position? Do you expect people to run in circles to defend a location? How u form firing line then? How u not expose your weak back then? How u make slow mechs move fast enough to dodge well placed arties?

You have plenty of time to evade strike once smoke appears? What?! Last I checked seismic sensor doesn't pick up dropped arty strike in your rear or sides.. time to evade is only sufficient when you see smoke right away.

Also, if majority of team ISN'T moving, do you expect me to keep moving off on my own? Ever heard of sticking together with your team to stay alive? Keep moving only works if you are in large group or 12man. You really don't think your answers through..

You like to guess how I play, let me make a guess about your gameplay style. My guess is you are click-warrior that only gets majority of game damage from arty/air strikes and LRM's. I don't mean this mockingly, but I don't see any other reason why someone would defend the ability for a team to drop 5 arty strikes in under one minute.

Also, we must think of NEW player base.. aka the lifeblood of mwo. What do you think they will do when they get constantly artied from out of nowhere over and over? They will say screw this and migrate to other games. For this reason alone, allowing 5 arty strikes in one minute is stupid.

The lack of common sense in these forums is disturbing.. I believe it must stem from the younger age of the majority of players that have the time to browse the forums.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 14 October 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#15 TyGeR STD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 245 posts
  • LocationGa

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

remove the consumable slot on mechs, let all consumables either go into weapon or mech modules. This way someone has an option of taking something other the the consumables. The way it is currently setup everyone will have some type of consumable, UAV, coolshot, or Air/Arty. Removing the dedicated consumable slot will mean some players will not have a consumable at all.

#16 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostTyGeR STD, on 14 October 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

remove the consumable slot on mechs, let all consumables either go into weapon or mech modules. This way someone has an option of taking something other the the consumables. The way it is currently setup everyone will have some type of consumable, UAV, coolshot, or Air/Arty. Removing the dedicated consumable slot will mean some players will not have a consumable at all.

EXACTLY RIGHT! Thank you for your rational thinking and brilliant suggestion! They way it is set up now, you are EXPECTED to bring two consumables to battle or you're wasting two slots. There is no thinking or real sacrifice involved. The current system PROMOTES arty-fests!

Arty should be an option of last resort, not something you do at first convenience. It should carry a heavier price to use, for example sacrificing a mech slot or costing more than 40k. At the same time it would be acceptable if they increase damage done per strike if this was implemented.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 14 October 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#17 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 14 October 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

What? Since when is an average match 15minutes? I'd say it's closer to 5-7 minutes.. rarely does a match go beyond that. Also, since when are arties spread out evenly during a match. The problem is COOLDOWN. The problem is that they can drop 5 arties in one minute if a team was so inclined (and coordinated 12man try-hards do it, believe me). So again your very first argument is null.

I was using your estimate of five arties and the total game time. I have actually seen matches end due to time out in all three game modes, so it is possible. You might also notice, had you actually read my statement, that I conceded that all those strikes may come piled in on top of one another. However, the bottom line remains; five strikes in fifteen minutes is not unreasonable.

Secondly, I wasn't guessing, you must have missed it, but I actually ASK people why they drop arty when it's utterly hopeless or end of game. They say MANY TIMES that they are LOADED with money. I am shocked how many times people say they have millions and millions of cbills.

If that's so, then I would like their names so that I can contact them and ask them to teach me how to make so much money! :D

Also, just because you make up the 40K lost at end of match, doesn't mean it isn't costing you anything. You are still paying 40K in cbills.. don't u see this? Do you understand basic economics?

I do see that and, again, if you had read my post, you would have realized that. To reiterate, losing a match still gains you 40k. That covers the cost of the arty, putting you at a net gain of 0 C-bills. You bank account doesn't change. If you are going to lose the match anyways, you may as well give Red Team an arty send-off to try and deal as much damage as you can and possibly carve out another kill to help with your K/D. You may not earn much, if anything, but you probably won't go backwards economically, so it's really not that big a deal.

You say arty and air strikes were nerfed because you can't equip both now?! What? It wasn't nerfed, it was QUICKLY reverted BACK to the way it was prior because it was a ridiculous decision in the first place to allow both to be equipped on one mech.

No, I said they were nerfed because of the damage and splash reductions along with their spacing increases. I lumped the number of strikes you could equip into the same paragraph because the topic ran along the same lines. I didn't mean to make it sound like a direct nerf to an individual module. That being said, there have been enough strike nerfs. I actually find that they are more useful now to block enemy movement by temporarily denying passage, than they are to actually deal damage to enemy Units.

Only noobs don't move around? What?! Have you ever heard of defending a position? Do you expect people to run in circles to defend a location?

Sure, here's a vid of me defending a position, weaponless, by running around in circles (It's an old vid, granted, but a great one!):

http://www.twitch.tv...arejk/c/3241302

My point is that movement is the key. I never stand still, even when defending a position or standing in a firing line. I always rock forwards and backwards and side to side to prevent enemies from effectively sniping me, and to allow me to see arty smoke the moment it is placed on me. Standing stock-still is really a bad idea in this game, no matter your reason.

How u form firing line then? How u not expose your weak back then? How u make slow mechs move fast enough to dodge well placed arties?

How u expect debate me? :rolleyes:

You have plenty of time to evade strike once smoke appears? What?! Last I checked seismic sensor doesn't pick up dropped arty strike in your rear or sides.. time to evade is only sufficient when you see smoke right away.

Yes, you do have plenty of time if you are alert and moving. As I previously stated, constant movement, even within a small area, will quickly reveal arty smoke. Once an enemy pops smoke, you have 4 seconds to get out of the drop zone. That's plenty of time. I've escaped arties with my Daishis and BattleMasters on several occasions, despite their slow speeds.

Also, if majority of team ISN'T moving, do you expect me to keep moving off on my own? Ever heard of sticking together with your team to stay alive? Keep moving only works if you are in large group or 12man. You really don't think your answers through..

You don't have to run off on your own; arty strikes don't have that large of an area. Just position yourself about 50 to 100 meters from the group and you'll be fine. You're close enough to lend firing support, yet far enough away that you don't interfere with friendly movement, get team-fired by accident (or accidentally team-fire someone), or get caught in an arty. It's simple, yet efficient. You'll find that the groups that stay too tightly compacted wind up losing because they cannot all fire at once, and because they are too close for effective fighting. While staying together is essential for winning, you really can have too much of a good thing. It is better to stay together, but spread out enough so that everyone can bring guns to bear, and so that enemies are not presented with good arty strike targets.

You like to guess how I play, let me make a guess about your gameplay style. My guess is you are click-warrior that only gets majority of game damage from arty/air strikes and LRM's. I don't mean this mockingly, but I don't see any other reason why someone would defend the ability for a team to drop 5 arty strikes in under one minute.

By all means, please peruse my Twitch feeds and YouTube vids. You'll find that this isn't true. :)

I actually tend to run very unorthodox builds and do not care for metas. Metas simply aren't that fun for me; I prefer more exciting Mech builds. Also, out of more than fifty Mechs, I only own one that is a dedicated LRM boat. B)

Also, we must think of NEW player base.. aka the lifeblood of mwo. What do you think they will do when they get constantly artied from out of nowhere over and over? They will say screw this and migrate to other games. For this reason alone, allowing 5 arty strikes in one minute is stupid.

The lack of common sense in these forums is disturbing.. I believe it must stem from the younger age of the majority of players that have the time to browse the forums.

I hardly think that arty strikes will be the defining feature of the game that determines whether or not a new player base may form. Sure, it may frustrate players and cause a few to quit, but, by and large, players will stay or go because of the state of the game as a whole and not just because of one tiny piece of it.

There is a lack of common sense in a lot of posts, including some of yours. To be frank, your rudeness and aggressiveness are disappointing. I retract my offer to drop with you and teach you some of the finer points of the game. Sorry bud, but I've got better things to do than constantly deal with griefers.

View PostTyGeR STD, on 14 October 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Removing the consumable slots would mean that most rationale players wouldn't use them at all. I wouldn't; Target Info Gathering and Radar Deprivation are WAY better than any consumable.

I think that the module system we have now is pretty sweet, personally speaking. I typically use Cool Shot 9x9s and UAVs more than anything else.

#18 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

Going to have to agree with Nightmare here. Not only does he bring up valid points himself, but both cursory and in-depth reading of your reasoning leads me to diagnose you with a case of extreme "DIRE WOLF OP" syndrome. Rather, your argument seems to be based off your own ire to your enemies' usage of it against you, not anything truely worthy of debating against because your argument looks like it killed you and you got mad, thus it must be OP.

All in all, your reasoning is almost totally subjective and personal, with faulty objective reasoning to (attempt to) complement it. Next time when suggesting something, please be reserved, thoughtful, and objective as opposed to angered "LOLWAT NO, U DUMB? IS OP."
i pray you know I'm exaggerating the allcaps ****.

Also, biased polls are pitiful, really. If you're going to be exaggerating, exaggerate each in a positive light simply for lightening the mood.
(NO, stop pushing nerfs on me because you got mad that you died.
YES, arty is more OP than a x5 AC20 Hunchback)

Edited by Burktross, 14 October 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#19 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

View PostBurktross, on 14 October 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

Going to have to agree with Nightmare here. Not only does he bring up valid points himself, but both cursory and in-depth reading of your reasoning leads me to diagnose you with a case of extreme "DIRE WOLF OP" syndrome. Rather, your argument seems to be based off your own ire to your enemies' usage of it against you, not anything truely worthy of debating against because your argument looks like it killed you and you got mad, thus it must be OP.

All in all, your reasoning is almost totally subjective and personal, with faulty objective reasoning to (attempt to) complement it. Next time when suggesting something, please be reserved, thoughtful, and objective as opposed to angered "LOLWAT NO, U DUMB? IS OP."
i pray you know I'm exaggerating the allcaps ****.

You just said in seven lines what took me three lengthy posts to say! ROFL! :lol:

+1

#20 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

Take out a feature (by making it too expensive, or worthless) that adds a variety of strategies to the game? No thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users