48 replies to this topic

#1 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:27 AM

So i've been playing this game for over two years now and played thousands of games. But i've not once used modules except for cool shot and only played with artillery/air strike in training grounds.

I consider myself to be a half decent player (gonna regret saying that now) but i really don't see any reason whatsoever why i should save lots of GXP (time) and spend as much c-bills on modules when they could land me medium mech with endo steel for the same value and bunging that GXP on speeding up the skills process. For that reason I've never bothered. I would far rather buy a shiny new mech or engine or some DHS than waste my Cbill's (4million!) on a module that is debatable whether or not they actually benefit me let alone be worth as much as a Trebuchet. To top it off you only get one!! So not automatically applied across your mech garage, Rip off i think.

Sure Radar Dep would be nice with the current LRM spam these days and Advance zoom would come in handy but i feel modules are just compensating for lack of situational awareness and preventing yourself from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Likewise with the recent module changes that got these forums up in arms and rage i wasn't in the least bit arsed. My raven 3l is completely module-less. Wasted Maybe, but i don't see any modules offering an advantage which cannot be compensated for the price of them.

Call me a cynic but anyone else out there got a similar frame of mind?

Edited by mad kat, 16 October 2014 - 02:31 AM.

#2 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:11 AM

Greetings,

Specifically for that Raven,

- It comes with a BAP built-in so this helps somewhat.
- Depending on what your mounting for weapons, or how you play the Mech normally makes a great deal of difference in what Modules you should have.
- The Raven being used sometimes for the sneaky spotter, should have 'Advanced sensor' for that roll. That extends your lock on range out to 1250m combined with the BAP. (normal range with none of that is 800m to get a lock.)
- Since your being sneaky for that Mech in it's spotter role you should also have the 'Seismic Sensor', this one element will tell you if there is any enemy movement near you. (especially if your trying to hold a lock on some Enemy, and haven't had the time to look around.)

That being the two most required modules and both in the 6Mil range.
~ The target retention is now useless as it get stomped instantly by radar deprivation

Now as you have stated, you've played for awhile, and haven't seen any need for the modules.
- In the normal run of the games if you don't need to lock a distance target you'll never miss it. Or some other player will do it.
- If you ballistic loaded, or long range, just seeing them is enough, so no requirements again.
- If you're always on the move seismic may never be a concern, but, stopping before you round a corner and checking it may save your life. (example, HPG, having it will indicate close enemy, ether near or above/below.)

Other than those, the weapon extensions, cool downs are really somewhat a waist of $. If staying alive comes down to having 30 more feet of max damage, you may be playing wrong. If you constantly need the cool module you may not have your weapons grouped correctly or are being too overzealous about getting the kill 'right now'. (riding a very fine line on heat management also requires patience, something we don't always see.)

The modules are currently not tied into any 'Roll warfare', it's going to be brought in,but we don't have it yet. This is where having specific items will be required,to carry out the needed task for that unit. Or at least allowing for an individual bonus for specialized tasks you do while in the match.
- These tasks will be presented to Pilots having certain roll designed Mech's, only those Pilots will see or have that mission task displayed. And gain a bonus or value for completing that role mission. (ie: target/spot 8 enemy during the first 5 min's.)

Just some info,
9erRed

#3 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:44 AM

Eep so does that mean that when these defined roles come in as highlighted by the october road map by Russ that means all my mechs will be rendered ambigious due to the modules not defining what each mech should be good at? Surely the Weapon loadout, experience and playstyle has more of an effect on where a player fits in with a team rather than what 'bolt on's' he or she has plugged into his mech's expansion slots for want of a better word.

I definitely am a line of sight player first and foremost. While i have some LRM mechs they are mostly gathering dust (lurming is so boring). I can appreciate that modules would be useful when your stuck on a hill a few hundred metres behind the front line and trying to gather as much information as you can without relying on hapless team mates being constantly in the line of fire and locking targets. I'm usually guilty of just shooting anything that is red and not giving much consideration to any of my team LRM boats as far as i'm concerned someone in the thick of it has priority over a mech hiding over yonder and like you say at close range Modules become less useful as the MK1 eyeball takes over.

Anyway back on it Seismic is of no use to me as i virtually never stand still, Advanced zoom would be useful if either of my jagermechs were brandishing Gauss or my Awesomes had PPC's but that would only be for early game anyway. The vast majority of games i play in it usually ends in a close range slug fest so zoom would only at best get used for less than half a game. Like you state the weapon mods seem entirely pointless to me on anything other than a mech boating one type of weapon only. Which leaves Radar Dep' as the only half reasonable module to equip but then it's a silly price and has to be moved between mechs before each match a real PITA. Adv' Sensor range can be rendered obsolete if you have space to equip a tag laser or to a lesser extent BAP as you rightly say again for a fraction of the cost. Which the former in itself yields far better rewards due to the bonus and the fact it costs a fraction of the module at the expense of a hardpoint. For that matter i try and make all my lights carry a TAG.

Edited by mad kat, 16 October 2014 - 05:50 AM.

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:04 AM

yes and no. its really depends on the mech. If you have a PPC stalker slapping PPC cooldown on it, this will rarely help you because you can not dissipate heat fats enough.

6 UAC 5 Dakkawolf? go for UAC 5 range and CD module and 100% positive benefit, whcih does have a big impact on the mechs firepower and performance.

so it really depends on the mech. If you mech is superfat and slow, radar derp probably doesn't helps as much as in a heavy with better speed. And a light may also not need it that much, because he could run off already.

But tbh, buy modules when you have the mechs and equipped them, or unlock and buy single mods and swap them between the mechs you use, which especially for radar deprivation is working more or less on all mechs.

#5 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

Are they needed naa. Just some additional Customization to make your mech a touch more unique.

I hardly use them there a bit rediculous cost wise as I am working on quite a few mechs. But when i have a case that really fits well then I will weight the benefits.

For example, I just reconfigured my Summoner B to make it more of a brawler with SSRM's. SSRM's have limited range and rather long cooldown well with the rank 5 range module I get another 36 meters of range (SSRM6 only get 25 meteres) and with the Cooldown mod they reload that much faster. Neither is a HUGE advantage but as I am so concentrated on single weapon system and had a few credits lying around figured why not. So far been rather fun and almsot 400 meters with Streaks is pretty evil

#6 Rayne Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 115 posts
  • LocationVickers Mining Co. Trellshire Province, Lyran Commonwelth. Hollers, Derf

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

Having a maxed out C-ERML module is amazingly good on mechs with a lot of C-ERMLs (my Nova), it gets out past 450ish meters optimal, and I assume it maxes somewhere around 900-950, that extra little bit of range can make a huge difference.

#7 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

They make a diffrence. Particularly the range modules for most weapons, and cool down on balistic and maybe missile weapons. Not to mention Advanced zoom, Seismic, Radar Derp, Target Decay, Info Gathering, and Sensor Range can all be useful. Consumables are also highly useful, as many a match has been won or lost due to the use of UAVs and Strikes.

#8 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

I gain noticeably from equipping the right modules to the right mechs within the role I intend to play the mechs. That in turn generates much more cash for me...so in the long term, while a given module may cost me a disheartening chunk of initial capital, it will make up for that soon enough.

If I can turn just a handful of "shoulda been losses" into great victories my earnings can go up 50-150k each match. Winning is just that much better on the virtual wallet....so, within 20-60 matches (that I will undoubtedly play either way) that cumbersome module is likely paid for...and will likely continue to contribute to my future earnings (and therefore future mechs and modules).

Choosing only the modules that will create the synergistic effect I am looking for (not trying to own every module necessarily) keeps this paradigm highly profitable imo.

Edited by Lukoi Banacek, 16 October 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#9 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

I'm still not convinced. It would be nice if the champion mechs each had a different module loaded so we could try them out before wasting the Cbils on them much in the same way that trial mechs are there for just that purpose.

Surely it should extend to modules too for cynics like myself? Lets take for example the Catapult A1 champion should have target decay. The highlander or atlas should have radar dep....there's an idea.

#10 Martin Oberhofer

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:57 AM

in my opinion (and use) a module is the very very last modification to round up the best builds.

necessary? no
usefull? yes

#11 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:46 AM

Most module does help your mech slightly, some will radically change how you play your mech.
how much you need one depends on your build, energy boat will welcome a coolshot or 2, dakkaboat will want some cooldown module for their main gun, brawler with no long range weapon will want the Seismic module so they can sneak around, etc.

I own a number of modules, simply because I already got all the available CBill mechs I want and my GXP just keeps piling up with nothing to spend on.

#12 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

Short answer:

No, modules are not necessary, but they really help a lot!

I recommend Radar Deprivation and Target Info Gathering. In my opinion, those are the two best modules money can buy.

You can still play without modules and you can still score very well without them! Modules simply give you a bit of an edge.

#13 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

UAV & Cool Shot feels like cheating sometimes. UAV can really turn a game.

I initially considered Seismic silly--as I don't like to stop moving either. But then I found I stop plenty, even in my fast lights: when I land from a JJ bounce, while playing Cat & Mouse around a building, scouting around suspicious corners. It's absurdly useful.

Again, in my lights, using small, fast weapons and a forgiving heat set-up, Cool Down mods allow me to fire considerably more.

#14 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

From a business standpoint? Absolutely. Otherwise, meh.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 29 October 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#15 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:42 PM

I feel naked without my modules. Especially Seismic for my light, sneaky, hard hitting mechs. :)

Cheers
Eboli.

#16 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:06 AM

View Postmad kat, on 16 October 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

Anyway back on it Seismic is of no use to me as i virtually never stand still

So not only do you not use seismic but you make sure that seismic always sees you. Your playstyle makes you highly dependant on your teammates watching your back, because you can't do it yourself. Being able to see the number of enemies and thier movement around the corner warrants stopping and definately warrants using the module. You are choosing to give up a clear advantage and saying that it is because of playstyle.

#17 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostSoulscour, on 30 October 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

So not only do you not use seismic but you make sure that seismic always sees you. Your playstyle makes you highly dependant on your teammates watching your back, because you can't do it yourself. Being able to see the number of enemies and thier movement around the corner warrants stopping and definately warrants using the module. You are choosing to give up a clear advantage and saying that it is because of playstyle.

????? Don't know how to answer that one. I can look after myself just fine and i do not rely on my team mates to watch my back unless im in a hapless long range mech loaded out with ppc's and lrm's (which i virtually never use anyway) and even then playing pug i know everyone usually has their own agenda.

The point of this thread is that i've been doing just fine for years without needing a module to tell me that there may be an enemy around the corner. And conversely an enemy may know i'm there but until he actually does something about it as a direct result of the what the module states then it's kinda pointless.

Edited by mad kat, 30 October 2014 - 03:41 AM.

#18 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:53 AM

View Postmad kat, on 30 October 2014 - 03:40 AM, said:

????? Don't know how to answer that one. I can look after myself just fine and i do not rely on my team mates to watch my back unless im in a hapless long range mech loaded out with ppc's and lrm's (which i virtually never use anyway) and even then playing pug i know everyone usually has their own agenda.

The point of this thread is that i've been doing just fine for years without needing a module to tell me that there may be an enemy around the corner. And conversely an enemy may know i'm there but until he actually does something about it as a direct result of the what the module states then it's kinda pointless.

The point is that while you know an enemy may be around the corner, they KNOW that you are there, and can and do take decisive action to get the drop on you. In addition, you may see that incoming flank or if you had siesmic, you automatically would. Positional awareness is a clear game advantage and there is a big difference between knowing the position of the enemies and suspecting.

Edited by Soulscour, 30 October 2014 - 03:54 AM.

#19 T0rmented

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 317 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:00 AM

Modules are definitely not necessary, however they do provide an advantage. If you can give yourself an advantage why would you not take it?

#20 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:01 AM

True there. I usually assume (dangerous word most often) that there is an enemy around every corner. Seems to work for me as im ready for a contact. Yeah of course there are times when ive stumbled around a corner into a lance of enemy mechs. But my playstyle means i try not stray too far from friendlies. I know full well they probably wont help me if im in trouble but it gives them another target and as murphy's law states try to look unimportant and you may just get away with it.

When im out scouting i just pay attention to where i am in relation to my team and how long it will take to run back if it all goes **** up. Try not to scout head on and dont wave your tag laser around in front of a lance of ready mechs. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users