#41 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:49 AM

View Postmad kat, on 05 November 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

There are some very convincing arguments here. It seems when it comes to weapon modules its a case of max level for range and cooldown, anything less is wasted.

Seismic keeps coming up again and again and when i watch players as spectator and see seismic in action it does seem to encourage cowardice more than anything. I.e. they see an enemy and do everything to avoid it. But that's probably purely due to it being late game and theyre probably hurting anyway.

My prefered approach is to keep my mech in cover as much as possible i build my mechs to hit hard with line of sight and move back into cover or elsewhere. I try to keep my mechs cool too and i favour ballistics and seem to get on quite well with lb-10x and pulse lasers. Therefore target info gathering is probably the most relevant to me.
Like last night when i ended up too close to a tw in my wubcada (6mpl). I didnt have much time to analyse his paper doll which showed up but could see his legs were in a bad way. So i managed to remove his left leg and then the right. Having that info faster would of helped me prevent him from cresting that ridge quite so soon. But there was no way i was gonna stand still in a cicada so seismic would be useless in that mech and situation.

No mad kat, seismic is your native american indian ear on the ground.

Seimsic warns you when there are like 6 guys around the corner, preventing you to make bad steps.
Seismic tells you where the opponent is on the other side of the hill and where he is heading to, that is a vital information to prepare your ambush correctly.

actually seismic > rada derp.

So if you prefer infor gathering, then you better drop the radar derp for info gathering instead the seismic. Information is ammunition. And Seismic is a priceless ac100 bullet.

I had a realy bad game yesterday on frozen city. a light and a medium went over the typical ridge obove the dropship. I was waiting at a house of them, sudenly 8 mechs appeared. Poof I was dead in no time, beause the others all came sneaky through the tunnel.

Reason: didn't had Seimsic on my TBR at this time. With it I would be able to know whats coming and would have reterated instead of waiting for the two guys I expcted.

hill climb could need a buff up to 30% or such, its imho not even worth to be tried.

Edited by Lily from animove, 10 November 2014 - 03:52 AM.

#42 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

AWS pilot...I use none on any of my mechs, tried the zoom for a while but it was worse than regular vision so I got rid of it.

Sat on top of the match boards plenty of times without feeling gimped, still don't know what any of the modules do other than zoom tbh.

#43 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:45 AM

View PostShatterpoint, on 20 November 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

AWS pilot...I use none on any of my mechs, tried the zoom for a while but it was worse than regular vision so I got rid of it.

Sat on top of the match boards plenty of times without feeling gimped, still don't know what any of the modules do other than zoom tbh.

You are gimped.

Edited by Soulscour, 21 November 2014 - 02:47 AM.

#44 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:50 AM

Still think this should be memorized by everyone. Instils anticipation, preperation and planning at the forefront of all tactical decisions.

http://www.murphys-l...murphy-war.html

Much like driving the single biggest skill anyone can have when driving is anticipation shortly followed by never assuming except for that everyone else on the road is a bloody idiot. Same translates here really.

Edited by mad kat, 21 November 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#45 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:03 AM

Use modules .
The entire range .

If you thought your mech was already glorious to rampage around in without them, try the very same mech with a smartly picked module set and maybe your mech gets even more glorious with them .

Oh, btw : Nothing is as cool as making people flinch with 2 MG´s, hitting them for damage at ranges they wouldn´t have expected, or make them cry "cheater!!!!!!" when your lurms hit them at 1080meters range .... kekekeke :wub:

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 21 November 2014 - 03:04 AM.

#46 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:30 AM

Radar dep is really useful for faster mechs like mediums who are not fast enough to more or less avoid LRMs entirely, but fast enough to be able to break LOS when missiles are incoming.

Radar decay makes or breaks missile boats in my opinion, and I quite enjoy my CN9-A with 3 LRM10+As. The mech has a missile range quirk, which combined with the LRM10 range module gives your LRMs around 1200 meter range. Not that it makes much difference, since it takes waaaay to long for the missiles to reach the target for it to matter, but it's fun for trolling.

#47 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:13 AM

I love artillery.

sometimes just for fun, when I'm about to die surrounded by enemies, I can call it in straing on top of all of us hahaha

it can sometimes turn the tide, force people to back off a little, or just add more eye candy.

a well-placed UAV can help everybody. it reminds me of the "role warfare" thing this game once promoted in early youtube ads in the alpha stage.

radar deprivation is so good it feels like cheating, mostly because any mech could benefit from it! it goes on my LRMboats or lights. if this gets toned down a little or somewhat affected by BAP or other things, I won't complain at all.

extra range for SRMs are great too. my Kintaros love them.

#48 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:41 AM

It all depends on your playstyle.

For support mechs (and most Clan mechs) I find advanced zoom invaluable.

For brawlers, seismic is still spectacular. At the end of matches, where single salvos get kills, seismic can be a life saver.

Everyone swears by radar derp, but to be honest i've learned to live without it.

I find the best use of modules, however, is for strengthening quirked IS mechs with weapon unlocks. For some weapons, like LPLs, the range and cooldown are great. Also, for mechs with mixed weapons, range unlocks can help close the gap in useable range between weapon systems - like MLAS and LL. For some of the harder quirked mediums, like the Hunchback, the extra cooldown for that awesome AC20 is just a big extra heaping of lethal icing on the doomcake.

I just wish there were a way to shift them easily between mechs, as I often find it more cost effective to simply purchase a new bloody module instead of searching through all my freaking mechs.

#49 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

Radar Derp is weird. I rarely (although not never) say 'oh, Radar Derp just saved me', but I do a lot better when I have it equipped. It's not just against LRMs, vanishing instantly when you go out of line of sight can make people forget about you.

I should probably be running seismic, though. There are so many times where I do something that was really really stupid in retrospect and would have been obviously stupid ahead of time if I'd realized just how many enemies I was about to expose myself to. Maybe that would have stopped me from doing it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users