21 replies to this topic

#1 Deadboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 116 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

I've been away for awhile and recently started playing again. While trying to refresh myself on the changes I come across a dev post where each mech is assigned a tier. Additionally I see other references to tier for equipment and modules but at the moment lets start with the five Mech Teirs from this post - http://mwomercs.com/...tober-road-map/

What is the function of this break down by tier?

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

Tier means how good a Mech is compared to other Mechs in the opinions of the people PGI asked for advice,

tier 1 (or top tier) Mechs are supposed to be the best Mechs in game

a tier 3 Mech is average

a tier 5 (bottom tier) Mech is not great

However my most successful Light Mech is only a Tier 5 (the SDR-5K) so do not decide on a purchase based solely on tier

the lower the tier (higher the number) the better positive quirk the Mech will receive, so my SDR-5k will receive some major positive quirks we just do not know what they will be as yet

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 16 October 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#3 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostDeadboy, on 16 October 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

I've been away for awhile and recently started playing again. While trying to refresh myself on the changes I come across a dev post where each mech is assigned a tier. Additionally I see other references to tier for equipment and modules but at the moment lets start with the five Mech Teirs from this post - http://mwomercs.com/...tober-road-map/

What is the function of this break down by tier?

View PostRogue Jedi, on 16 October 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

Tier means how good a Mech is compared to other Mechs in the opinions of the people PGI asked for advice,

tier 1 (or top tier) Mechs are supposed to be the best Mechs in game

a tier 3 Mech is average

a tier 5 (bottom tier) Mech is not great

However my most successful Light Mech is only a Tier 5 (the SDR-5K) so do not decide on a purchase based solely on tier

the lower the tier (higher the number) the better positive quirk the Mech will receive, so my SDR-5k will receive some major positive quirks we just do not know what they will be as yet

Listen to Rogue Jedi. He has the right idea. Just because some people perform poorly in a mech doesn't make it bottom rung. It all comes down to skill little brother. =]

#4 Deadboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 116 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

Is it known if these mechs are ranked by their default load outs or through some other method? The main reason I ask is once you strip the equipment from the STK-3F and the STK-5S they're functionally the same (unless there's something else about them I'm unaware of) one is a Tier 2 and the other is Tier 4.

I guess I just get hung up on them then for the reason that they are grouped as they are. /shrug

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostDeadboy, on 16 October 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

you strip the equipment from the STK-3F and the STK-5S they're functionally the same (unless there's something else about them I'm unaware of) one is a Tier 2 and the other is Tier 4.

3F has FAR bigger torso twist than any of the other Stalkers

#6 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

Is it known if these mechs are ranked by their default load outs or through some other method? The main reason I ask is once you strip the equipment from the STK-3F and the STK-5S they're functionally the same (unless there's something else about them I'm unaware of) one is a Tier 2 and the other is Tier 4.

I guess I just get hung up on them then for the reason that they are grouped as they are. /shrug

The 3F has a significantly better torso twist. I think the 5S got a bit of a raw deal though, as dual AMS is highly useful, at least in Pugland.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

They said they took some input from competitive players; what that input was, and what other data was used(current stats, overall usage, purchase rate, whatever) is unknown.

While some exact details may be a little off, and opinions may vary, most players agree it's a pretty good ranking overall.

#8 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

The ranking appears to be based on their overall performance within their weight class.

The idea is to give mechs that are usually left behind for one reason or another something to make them interesting enough to take. I don't expect them all to be on tier 1 level but the gap should narrow.

#9 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:17 AM

This ranking is bulls**t most of my favourite mechs are tier 4 and 5. While others that I found hardly usefull are tier 2 and 3.

#10 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:25 AM

View PostPACoFist, on 17 October 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

This ranking is bulls**t most of my favourite mechs are tier 4 and 5. While others that I found hardly usefull are tier 2 and 3.

Your right but i'm not sure about bullshit. It is a law of averages after all. Some my most dangerous mechs my Awesome 8Q and 8V and dragon fang too are a teir 5 which means they'll be upgraded by PGI. (lets hope they don't mess it up as usuall) but for the most part awesome 8 series are regarded as pretty poor. However my Pretty baby is a rather tricky mech to use because of the stupid 33% deceleration handicap. All pgi need to do to improve the PB is remove that cap or at least lessen it significantly.

#11 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:35 AM

View PostPACoFist, on 17 October 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

Almost all of my mechs are lower tier. Generally they will have some feature that makes them less ideal than the best mech in their weight class, and it may be something as simple as where a mech's hardpoints are or being stuck at the bottom of the tonnage bracket in their weight class.

I like the Orion, but it has far fewer inherent advantages than a Timberwolf!

#12 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:28 AM

I love the Awesome. I have 5 of them. All except one are in tier 5, the only tier 5 IS Assault mechs. I have never bothered that they stick out like a target board. I do my best to overcome with fire and manoeuvre, and adjust my playing style. Back in good old TT, Piloting and Gunnery made as much difference as Battle Value. It is the pilot that counts.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostChuanhao, on 17 October 2014 - 04:28 AM, said:

I love the Awesome. I have 5 of them. All except one are in tier 5, the only tier 5 IS Assault mechs. I have never bothered that they stick out like a target board. I do my best to overcome with fire and manoeuvre, and adjust my playing style. Back in good old TT, Piloting and Gunnery made as much difference as Battle Value. It is the pilot that counts.

Exactly my perspective, a Mech could be perfect for me it is a tier 5 Light, however as it fits my play style perfectly I do better in that than most other Mechs

Literally no other light has a better KDR, average damage, average XP, or win loss ratio, and only 4 of my roughly 90 owned Mechs (the 3 Timber Wolves and the CDA-3M) have across the board better stats but put other people in that Mech and they will not usually do well

edit: by the way I was referring to the SDR-5K, I could have sworn I typed that

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 17 October 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

The tier rankings is somewhat more along the lines of which mechs fit the meta better and those are probably your tier 1 and 2 mechs. But of course pilot skill and willingness to follow the meta varies.

#15 wolf74

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

What I have gotten out of the Tier Post

Mech Tier # equals Number of Positive Quirks remove One Quirk if the Mech has ECM, Remove One Quirk if the Mech has JumpJets

Spider 5D Tier 3, Total 3 Quirks - 1 (Due to ECM) - 1 (Due to JumpJets) = 1 Quirk total (at a 15% boost)

Multiple Structure & Armor Quirk = 1 Quirk Total on Mech
The Boost on Ave Per Tier
Tier 1 = 5%
Tier 2 = 10%
Tier 3 = 15%
Tier 4 = 20%
Tier 5 = 25%

#16 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

it's based off how competitive a mech is once it is min/maxed properly and in the hands of the same pilot.

Sure, some players may do better in a lower tier mech they own, but that doesn't account for competitive play or builds

all else equal, a Jenner-F is far more devastating with its 30 point alpha build as a skirmisher in a competitive deck with a designated role of finishing off crit mechs than a Spider-5K with one ERLLas and 4 machine guns. Hence the Jenner-F is a Tier 1 mech.

#17 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:30 PM

View Postwolf74, on 17 October 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

What I have gotten out of the Tier Post

Mech Tier # equals Number of Positive Quirks remove One Quirk if the Mech has ECM, Remove One Quirk if the Mech has JumpJets

Spider 5D Tier 3, Total 3 Quirks - 1 (Due to ECM) - 1 (Due to JumpJets) = 1 Quirk total (at a 15% boost)

Multiple Structure & Armor Quirk = 1 Quirk Total on Mech
The Boost on Ave Per Tier
Tier 1 = 5%
Tier 2 = 10%
Tier 3 = 15%
Tier 4 = 20%
Tier 5 = 25%

tier 1 are not supposed to be getting any quirks

Tier 1 Mech's won't receive any quirks at this point in time, while Tier 5 ‘Mechs will be receiving serious attention.

from Russ's October road-map command chair post
http://mwomercs.com/...13#entry3827513

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 17 October 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#18 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

Tiers don't mean ****.
HBK = Tier 4

HBK will always be my Tier #1 lass.

#19 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

What other people have said (namely first response).

however, fun fact: The mechs I do best in seem to be the Tier 5 mechs (considered the worst)... :ph34r:

#20 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostTesunie, on 20 October 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

however, fun fact: The mechs I do best in seem to be the Tier 5 mechs (considered the worst)... :ph34r:

A common story for me as well - but the reasons for that are part of the reason I (still!) recommend them
A "worthless" chassis is more likely to be marked as the lower threat - and thus ignored.
Giving you all the time you need to do all you could ever dream of. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users