Targeting Friendly Mechs

42 replies to this topic

Poll: Targeting friendlies (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to have a new key to let you target friendly Mechs

1. Yes (72 votes [73.47%])

Percentage of vote: 73.47%

2. No (16 votes [16.33%])

Percentage of vote: 16.33%

3. Other (explain) (7 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Don't care (3 votes [3.06%])

Percentage of vote: 3.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:45 AM

It's been a year since i made a Topic about that, and still, no one ever talk about that big of a lack.

We need to know the loadout and damages taken by our team mates during the fight.
So far, the only indications we can access about a Mech, even in our own Lance, is the percentage of armor he got left... For a Mech with 10 differents armor location, how can that unique number be enough?!

I understand it's less important for Groups as they usualy talk to each other, using a random chating tool as TS, but in PUG, you don't have time to talk and explain your loadout or your damages with the in-game chat. After a few engagements i really think you should have a quick and easy way to see the overall state of you mates:
- Is that Atlas cored? (= which one of us is protecting the other?)
- Was he's back armor stripped? (= should i walk behind him so he don't get backstab?)
- What weapons he got left? (= what kind of tactic should we use now?)
Etc.

Friendly Targeting should be set on a different key than Enemy Targeting, so you can't accidentaly target a friend in the heat of battle.
Friendly targeting should not allow for missiles launchers to get actual Lock (if you worry about the fact that it could promote friendly battles and team-kills).

Thanks for your answers.

Edited by XtremWarrior, 17 October 2014 - 12:47 AM.

#2 shr0oms

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationR13ka

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:01 AM

i am a new player lacking exp to be able to use that properly but still i found myself in situation where i really missed that info.
they could just make a small text bellow names when you press R for weapon loadout and some kind of scan grid with diffrent coloring that showed only on mechs. could be messy whith many mechs on screen but i think it would be better then just another HUD clogging screen.

YES from me ;)
cheers

Edited by shr0oms, 17 October 2014 - 02:02 AM.

#3 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:22 AM

I suggest that while pressing Q, if you hover your sight more than 1/2 seconds on a friendly label, the info would show up. I think weapon loadouts are more important than damage report, but having both would be great.

#4 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:13 AM

No i don't want to be able to target friendly mechs, as it means i don't target an enemy anymore. So realistically you would be interested in this information at the start of the match, so you can decide with whom you wonna join.

I would however very much like to see either
1) Mouse/Crosshair over information of the given mech. So when you hold your crosshair over a friendly mech for n seconds you'll get information about his weapon loadout (and possibly armor/struktur status)
2) Possibility to look it up in the battlegrid view, or is this implemented already?

#5 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:13 AM

View PostMyke Pantera, on 17 October 2014 - 03:13 AM, said:

No i don't want to be able to target friendly mechs, as it means i don't target an enemy anymore. So realistically you would be interested in this information at the start of the match, so you can decide with whom you wonna join.

Then don't press the key. No one will force you to target a friendly Mech. But if you wanna see what your allies loadout is, or how bad they're hurt, you can.

View PostMyke Pantera, on 17 October 2014 - 03:13 AM, said:

I would however very much like to see either
1) Mouse/Crosshair over information of the given mech. So when you hold your crosshair over a friendly mech for n seconds you'll get information about his weapon loadout (and possibly armor/struktur status)
2) Possibility to look it up in the battlegrid view, or is this implemented already?

for 1), where does this information appear? If it overrides the enemy mech status, why bother making it so it takes time instead of just pressing a key?
2) no it's not. Also, being force to go through the battlegrid would make that option kind of hard to use when the fights have started. Even if it's not an action you would do in the heat of battle, you would have to lose a lot of time to load the grid then select the teammate you wanna scan.
But it can be a quick and easy task if it just work like regular enemy targeting.

#6 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:39 AM

I'am gonna have to say no. While it would be nice to see team mates load outs for better use of tactics, I fear a few complications may arise. I do not feel confident this feature will be easy to get right upon its introduction.

#7 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:06 AM

View PostBespoke Cheese Cake, on 18 October 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

I'am gonna have to say no. While it would be nice to see team mates load outs for better use of tactics, I fear a few complications may arise. I do not feel confident this feature will be easy to get right upon its introduction.

It's exactly the same thing as "r" to lock an enemy. You get "q" (for exemple) to lock a friendly. How could it be hard to make right? And we have already seen that feature at work in every other Mechwarrior games.

#8 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

Putting the crosshairs on a friendly and pressing a certain key to get info, sure. Especially if pressing this key also disables your weaponry.

But no targeting.

#9 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 18 October 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

Putting the crosshairs on a friendly and pressing a certain key to get info, sure. Especially if pressing this key also disables your weaponry.

But no targeting.

So just No. No reasons, nor explanations... Ok, MWO forum style, i guess.
By the way, and again, where would that info appear? Right in the middle of your HUD? Because we have a box which displays the targeted Mech info right now. Would you ignore this one?

People seem so scared about Friendly Fire... Hell, let's give up on a no-brainer feature that has no reason not to be already implemented and would give a lot of help to the regular Puggers. Because right now, if a teammate want to shoot you, he has so many limitations, like... huh, not seing your armor values?

You guys who said "no" must be playing on Group, because i don't see a reason not to say "of course!", and it looks like you neither (or maybe you keep those good reasons for yourselves instead of sharing them?).

#10 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

voted yes, really need to see health of teammates, especially when we're the last two and I dont know if my wingman has his legs or torsos or what

it should have to be deliberate somehow, different key for target friendly or mouseover or something, thats all

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:35 AM

yes would really be nice, you see 300m behind you hidden behind houses an opponent, and a blue triangle dancing around each other. Without voip you don't know if he needs help or not, he also won't have time to type that. pressing Q for getting his data would be nice to know that to know if I need to go help or if he should be able to deal that alone.

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 October 2014 - 05:36 AM.

#12 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 20 October 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

yes would really be nice, you see 300m behind you hidden behind houses an opponent, and a blue triangle dancing around each other. Without voip you don't know if he needs help or not, he also won't have time to type that. pressing Q for getting his data would be nice to know that to know if I need to go help or if he should be able to deal that alone.

So true! I forgot to mention that use.

#13 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostXtremWarrior, on 20 October 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

So just No. No reasons, nor explanations... Ok, MWO forum style, i guess.

Geez you're a whiner. The reason is obvious -- targeting something gives the ability to lock missiles. This would lead to more friendly fire than we already have.

Another reason: Targeting a friendly means you're no longer targeting an enemy. If somebody is using you as a spotter for indirect LRM fire, suddenly they are firing at a friendly.

And yes there would be ways to prevent firing on a friendly, but those ways would be buggy, like a lot of other things in MW:O. Better to just not have the possibility of locking on at all.

View PostXtremWarrior, on 20 October 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

By the way, and again, where would that info appear? Right in the middle of your HUD? Because we have a box which displays the targeted Mech info right now. Would you ignore this one?

Yes, I would ignore that box -- because that's the box for enemy 'Mech info. It would appear by the crosshairs, in a smaller form than the enemy 'Mech info box.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 20 October 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#14 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

Greetings all,

As part of the 'future' content, and parts of 'roll warfare' we will probably see some form of 'Information' key assignment enter our selections of what additional detailed info can be gathered from where the reticle is pointed at.
- Probably a key aspect of Scout roles and some objectives for them to complete during missions.

In some of the past Mech Warrior games there was a key specially for this, as some tasks required you to locate and identify objects. So the idea is not a new one.

Note: The 'target lock' (R key) and 'Info' (possible, i key) do not need to be or should be the same. Each has it's own function and could both be directed at different items.
- The issues that now arise are the game and map designers would need to have a text description for nearly anything that could be queried for info. That's a lot of work for adding one key item.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 20 October 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#15 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:09 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 20 October 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Geez you're a whiner. The reason is obvious -- targeting something gives the ability to lock missiles. This would lead to more friendly fire than we already have.

Another reason: Targeting a friendly means you're no longer targeting an enemy. If somebody is using you as a spotter for indirect LRM fire, suddenly they are firing at a friendly.

And yes there would be ways to prevent firing on a friendly, but those ways would be buggy, like a lot of other things in MW:O. Better to just not have the possibility of locking on at all.

Yes, I would ignore that box -- because that's the box for enemy 'Mech info. It would appear by the crosshairs, in a smaller form than the enemy 'Mech info box.

It's not about whining, but if you take time to write something, please don't just say "no" and leave.
But you are right, i didn't need to be so touchy. Should be used to how people think and act here on the forums. My bad.
Still:

1- You can prevent lock, and it is clearly something i want too, as you could have read in the topic. Also nobody said you have to make auto-targeting with friendly scan. Therefore friendly fire is not encouraged in any way.

2- "You're not targeting an enemy"... This would be another key than "R". So if you target a friendly Mech, it's because you wanted to. No issue here. And why would someone be shooting at the spotter??? It won't be auto-targeted so no risk, and AGAIN, missiles lock would be disabled.

3- Well, you called that a fact when you assume this feature would be badly implemented. It's not, and has no reasons to be. But does that mean that the same idea would be better if other Devs were building MWO? That's weird...

Looks like you never played another MechWarrior game before this one. They all got a "target friendly Mech" key, and it didn't bring any more friendly fire than what we have now. You would have to press the wrong key, then ignore the Blue (and not Red) square in you HUD. And the fact that the other blue ones are not firing at him but at the red ones - who are shooting at you btw...
At this point, if you are still firing on your mate, it won't be because of the friend-targeting key...

Edited by XtremWarrior, 21 October 2014 - 02:35 AM.

#16 McMatt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

I would like to see info of friendly mech. Not necessarily tageting. I can see info on enemy mech (even what weapons it have) but I don't know whit what is my lance equipped.

#17 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:13 AM

View PostMcMatt, on 21 October 2014 - 02:30 AM, said:

I would like to see info of friendly mech. Not necessarily tageting. I can see info on enemy mech (even what weapons it have) but I don't know whit what is my lance equipped.

I think everyone agree that we need to have some access to our team infos.
Your sensors tell you everything about an anemy at 750m, even if you lose line of sight thanks to target decay, but nothing on a friend standing 15m from me...
The easiest solution is to use the same feature previous MW titles had, a simple "target friendly Mech" key which displays it's information in the usual mech-scan box.

Maybe the word "targeting" is confusing because it's not about making a friend become a viable Target, just a dsiplay of it's current status (exactly as the enemy mech status).

#18 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:26 AM

I just don't care, but voted no, because I'd rather see the production hours used on such a feature to go into the game, I.E. quirk system, community warfare, etc.

#19 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

Yes, I would like to target friendly mechs with a key. This target would act exactly the same as if you were targeting an enemy, but disallow missile locks.

This mainly helps players in the solo queue. I'd like to see exactly the same info we get when targeting enemy mechs.

-Weapon loadout (to see if they even have any left)
-For 'Oh, Mr Mc.Derp on my team has no weapons left, and can't communicate that because he's too busy torso twisting and running away from opposition, I'd better go assist him.
-Damage paper doll
-As in 'oh the one other mech besides me, a friendly DWF, is cored in the rear and there's a raven running circles around it, I better get back there and protect it's ass'

Edited by xeromynd, 21 October 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#20 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:34 AM

View PostHayden, on 21 October 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

I just don't care, but voted no, because I'd rather see the production hours used on such a feature to go into the game, I.E. quirk system, community warfare, etc.

I can understand that, but for me it's a major lack in the current game.
Also, maybe it's gonna take some serious efforts and time to put this in, but i definitely can't see how since it's almost a copy-paste from enemy-targeting...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users