59 replies to this topic

#21 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:35 AM

Happens with Firefox, too.
It's some hidden Windows setting that I haven't dug up.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostFloppy waffles, on 17 October 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

Just looking after my first couple matches last night I saw the locust cheap and fast, is it good for a first mech?

Cheap and fast is a start, but the Locust is a very fragile mech that is easily destroyed. This is gonna require a lot of speed and skill on your part to survive.

I would highly recommend starting with a 30 to 35 ton light, so you can combine speed with not being as fragile, and from there with some experience consider the Locust (as by then the quirk system will be in for the IS mechs, and perhaps the Locusts will be reasonably easier to use and more accessible; right now they are great fun but very niche mechs for more experienced players -- or 'hair pulling' mechs. :P)

Some vids, though.
Spoiler

As in the vids, you'll either find a Locust to be hilarious fun...or extremely aggravating and regretful. :)

For a similar experience with a fair bit more max armor, consider a Spider.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

This literally sums up what I was saying.

View PostBigbacon, on 17 October 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

let me tell you a story.....

when I first started playing, I used some of the cbills from the first like 10 rounds and bought one. was SUPER disappointed because I didn't know any better, didn't know I would get more free cbills and just overall didn't know enough about the game yet. Sold it.

fast forward to now....I love the little things.

Definitely NOT a good mech to learn the game on, or lights for that matter. I would go Firestarter and then at some point come back to the locust. It takes a lot of patience and time to understand the locusts and how to use it best, more so than any other mech I've used.

If you take it as a first buy then you need to be with it for the long haul and you will probably be greatly disappointed.

Locusts are great fun, but probably the worst things to learn how the game works in. It'd be like going into a tank battle on a motorcycle...when you barely know how to drive the motorcycle and while the tanks are perfectly capable of hitting you even at top speed.

On a side note...
Here's a pair of Locusts being awesome in Battletech against an AS8-D Atlas. (Note, we only have the 7 line of Atlases, AS7-etc.) Last 40 seconds (4 turns) of combat.
Spoiler

A kick through the torso (of a knocked over Atlas) knocking the pilot out (through ammo explosion), accompanied by MGs and lasers through the cockpit transplast (it's a transparent metal armor) viewport, killing the pilot.

#24 Commodore Perspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

As an avid light pilot, especially Locusts, definitely don't start with a Locust. Some players can pull of decent games and I have seen one (Icadin, I think) pull multi-kill, 500 and 700 damage games, but that is an exception. For budget-conscious starting players, I would recommend the Hunchbacks. They are a solid chassis and help you learn the values of protecting parts of your mech (i.e. the hunch). However, if your heart is set on lights, Firestarter would be the easiest to start with, though I wouldn't rule out Commandos. They are not the best, but if you want to learn, the lack of jump jets will help with your piloting skill in the long run as you learn to position/strafe without the extra dimension. Either way, it's a steep learning curve. Keep with it! :D

#25 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

NO!

After a while, yes to go out and have fun running around ankle biting other mechs.

#26 Lanceafer

• PipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

I didn't read everything on here, I'm lazy so if I repeat stuff sorry.

As a first mech, not a chance. Its a cheap little mech but you get what you pay for. After you have a few mechs under your belt, its fun. I have in the last week or so started to master them because they get picked on all the time and it was more or less a challenge from a friend.

You will not carry the team in a Locust. I do on occasion get 5 kills half a dozen assists and 500+ damage but that is by far the exception. Most of the time I'm lucky to get a kill and have about 200 damage. But that is just the stuff that is easy to measure. I cant tell you how many times I have stopped an enemy push by finding it before it really gets rolling or found the lance of heavies setting up a firing line. Its not uncommon for me to get 10 - 15 spotting assists scouting but let me tell you this is a totally different game in a Locust. There are light mechs and then there is the Locust. Look at it this way, in a Locust your mech is 20 tons, a Gauss rifle plus 1 ton of ammo is 16 tons... That is why I joke with my unit that the Locust command couch is specially made for the pilots. They need room at the edge of the seat for the massive pair of stones those guys have.

#27 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

Just looking after my first couple matches last night I saw the locust cheap and fast, is it good for a first mech?

NO!

#28 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Reference pictures for each light (and some honorable mention mediums). All taken by Lordred. Most piloted by me.
Spoiler

Videos with Commandos and Spiders, Firestarters and a Cicada.
Spoiler

#29 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

Welcome to the game, however! The Locust is currently not a very good 'mech. It's just too fragile for its small profile and speed to make up for. If you're looking for a light 'mech as your first chassis, go with a Raven - it's a good all-around chassis whose variants can do a variety of things, plus it has ECM to ease you into Light piloting without dealing with so much incoming LRM fire.

However, I'd recommend not buying a new 'Mech until you've gotten through all 25 of your first matches - you'll get your Cadet Bonus via achievements, which is intended to get you started. In the mean time, play a variety of Champion 'mechs to get a feel for how different build types and chassis work.

My advice is to pick something from Tier 1 or two of This List - it's not perfect, and it's certainly not Scripture, but it'll point you toward the 'mechs that people tend to do well in. I also recommend three important resources for understanding what builds are possible and how weapons and equipment work - Smurfy's , Smurfy's, and Smurfy's. =D Seriously, Smurfy has put together the best reference site I've ever experienced on a game, and his MechLab is a standard resource for just about anyone investigting builds - particularly for a new chassis.

#30 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

I hesitate to recommend the Tier 1 chassis - but I will say that you will either learn more from the Locust than almost any other mech (positioning - subtle movement - timing - positioning - ....) or rage quit with the fury of an exploding Death Star.

Having said that - my Locusts are some of my favorite
I also disagree with comparing the Locust to the Spider, as other than the LCT-1V, the Locusts all carry far more firepower at the expense of armor and JJ - creating two very different styles of play.

#31 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 17 October 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

I hesitate to recommend the Tier 1 chassis - but I will say that you will either learn more from the Locust than almost any other mech (positioning - subtle movement - timing - positioning - ....) or rage quit with the fury of an exploding Death Star.

Having said that - my Locusts are some of my favorite
I also disagree with comparing the Locust to the Spider, as other than the LCT-1V, the Locusts all carry far more firepower at the expense of armor and JJ - creating two very different styles of play.

I agree with Shar on this one. If you have patience, aren't a uber leet player who only has fun when he wins and will ragequit when someone kills him, then just uninstall the game and move on.

Otherwise, running the Locust will be painful and lead to a lot of spectating. But you will learn a lot about piloting a mech, things that will help you when you move on to other mechs.

So it really just depends on what kind of player you are.

As to over all expense, almost every single person here left out a very important fact. You can use that spiffy XL engine in other mechs too. So it isn't like you have to spend 12 million to get one for each Locust. Same with the armor and weapons.

In other words, buy one, equip it, and get all the Basic skills. Then strip it bare, armor and all, then buy the 2nd Locust. Outfit it, rinse repeat for third, which you will take all the way thru Elite.

Also, you don't have to fully kit it out before you ever run a match. Sure you would do better if you did, but, again, unless you are one of those uber leet competition kiddies (not talking about ALL comp. players FTR) then just upgrade the ones you KNOW you will keep. The rest, keep them laying around in case you change your mind.

#32 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:05 PM

Finish your 25 matches then decide.

I think the game should always tell new players to first finish the first 25 matches before buying anything.

Edited by Elizander, 17 October 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#33 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

I had a locust as my first mech. Spent all my c-bill bonus trying to make it work (not really, but I wasted millions).

Failed.

Got a Jenner. I still died a lot but it worked out much better overall since it's almost as fast and has twice the armor. I think the Raven would have been a better choice, and I know people swear by Firestarters.

Or, you know. Shadowhawk.

But not a locust. It's an 'advanced' mech.

#34 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostTurist0AT, on 17 October 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

No. If you want a light get Firestarter (FS9)

The locust is worthless. You wont able to do enough damage and rack up points in it. Making it very hard to grind(lvl) for and for what? that litle pos mech? Nah get a good mech instead.

Let me explain a litle bit as this is new player section.

In FS9 i can actually get kills and do good damage, not only that. I can kill a mech from behind 1-2 alphas. Locust on the other hand is running around hiding, spotting and hoping you hava a friendly lrm boat noticing it. I dont want to rely on other ppl to do good and im sure you dont too.

I think you just aren't very good in the locust :)

any mech is worthless in the wrong hands.

#35 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

It's definitely cheap and fast, but it's also made out of paper: one hit and you're down and out. It's fun, but it's also completely unforgiving.

I recommend taking a Jenner as your first mech. Great mech, good hitboxes, almost as fast, and FAR more forgiving. Take the Locust once you're used to being tiny - it's definitely fun, but I wouldn't want it to be my first mech.

#36 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 17 October 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

It's definitely cheap and fast, but it's also made out of paper: one hit and you're down and out. It's fun, but it's also completely unforgiving.

as someone else stated, it is only cheap to buy. after that it gets expensive. I think my 1E is probably the most expensive mech I own based on what it has attached to it.

#37 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

IMO, the best starter mech is the Hunchback. It has a little bit of everything and is extremely adaptable. So it is good for figuring out what you like to do before spending cash on the more expensive models.

I own a Locust and never play it. A lot of people think Light mechs are the starter mechs, but really, they are probably the most difficult class to play well. If you are not skilled you will get splattered very very easily in them. Assault mechs are just the opposite...their limited mobility makes them gigantic walking targets. They are almost as hard to play as light mechs.

Medium or heavy is where new players should be starting.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 17 October 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#38 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

NO for the Locust as a first mech.

1) Fragile! (it must be Italian!) Your first mech chassis will need to be able to generate c-bills. You can't generate many c-bills in a mech that dies easily.
2) Wait until you have played all 25 of your Cadet matches. This will be your money pool. The C-bills become harder to get after the first 25 matches.
3) I recommend Shadowhawks and Hunchies (Medium chassis that are versatile and good learning platforms). For a Heavy, I'd recommend the Caaphract, as it is a solid C-bill generator. Stay away from Assaults for your fist mech. If you are set on a Light, I'd go with Firestarter. Jenners are good, but they have HUGE center torsos.
4) When you decide on a chassis, look first to the more expensive variant. It usually has the better engine that you can then use when leveling other variants. SHD-5M and CTF-3D are examples.
5) Remember that you will need 3 variants of a chassis so that you can level them out. Be aware that some chassis only show what they can do AFTER they have finished the Elite skills level.

#39 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

If you want cheap, and you want to go fast and be hard to kill, your first mech could be the Raven 3L or the Comm 2D.

They both don't hit very hard, but both do have ECM, making it hard for the other team to see you and shoot LRMs at you, and that protection is also provided for your team in bubble of a couple hundred meters or so...

Being the teams ECM coverage is an important job, and it will teach you how to support the big boys, while giving you 9 lives like a cat at times.

If you like to kill stuff... start with the Jager line. Dual Guass or Dual AC20 are effective builds for killing. But getting into those are a bit more pricey. You'd want to buy an XL255 engine, and that runs 5 million cbills alone...

Hunchbacks are getting some love in a few weeks... maybe wait t buy that first mech to see...

#40 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

I would say Yes, for the same reason that I would say yes to the Dragon, Awesome, and (I don't know Mediums well, Trebuchet?) as being good first mechs in their class.
And that reason is, if you can do well in any of these, you will do 10x better in any of the "good" chassis.
It will be frustrating. It will be aggravating. You will feel the urge to break things. BUT, if you can survive it, and get good in any of these, you will be godlike in a competitive chassis.

At the end of the day, the point is fun. If you have fun blasting away at other players, pick a Dakka Mech. If you have fun running on the redline of heat exhaustion, run a Laser Boat. If you have fun sitting in a corner picking your nose while lobbing endless streams of missiles, or conversely, getting into your opponents face and giving them an SRM24 Hug, run a Missile Boat.

And if you want to beat your head to a bloody pulp against a brick wall, or enjoy the ultimate challenge, run a Locust. Even better. Run a STOCK Locust.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users