10 replies to this topic

#1 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

Hi guys,

I've been looking around and found the GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX970 WINDFORCE 3X G1 GAMING SOC 4GB GDDR5.

Now this seems like a pretty good graphics card but those 3 cooler fans made me wonder is it does make more noise than the other graphics cards with less cooler fans.

The reason I'm asking is, I'm trying to keep my computer as quiet as possible while using good hardware on it and this seemed to be one of the best GTX970 out there atm.

#2 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

In PCs in general, noise is far more a function of the quality of the fans than the number. There are fans that blow practically no air and sound like leaf blowers, and fans that move massive amounts of air and are whisper quiet. Look around and see what reviewers say about that card, in particular, since most GPU reviewers do discuss noise.

#3 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

Custom coolers like that are designed specifically to minimize noise. If the default fan profile isn't quiet enough for you, you can always run a custom fan profile through Afterburner or Precision X (or Gigabyte's own program) that lowers the fan speed even more.

#4 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostCatamount, on 17 October 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

In PCs in general, noise is far more a function of the quality of the fans than the number. There are fans that blow practically no air and sound like leaf blowers, and fans that move massive amounts of air and are whisper quiet. Look around and see what reviewers say about that card, in particular, since most GPU reviewers do discuss noise.
Thank you but I have been looking around the web prior to creating this topic and haven't really found any kind of comparison on noise for that particular graphics card. Then again I might not know the right places to look... :unsure:

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 17 October 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

Custom coolers like that are designed specifically to minimize noise. If the default fan profile isn't quiet enough for you, you can always run a custom fan profile through Afterburner or Precision X (or Gigabyte's own program) that lowers the fan speed even more.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind :)

#5 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

Durant is correct. Generally if a fan is just a generic fan, it won't have good bearings, blade design, basically the things that move air and keep noise down. That's why I had to replace all my 120mm case fans with something actually good to not have it sound like a jet engine.

Here's a noise comparison

http://www.guru3d.co..._review,10.html

As you can see, load noise is very good for a performance graphics card

#6 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostCatamount, on 17 October 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

Durant is correct. Generally if a fan is just a generic fan, it won't have good bearings, blade design, basically the things that move air and keep noise down. That's why I had to replace all my 120mm case fans with something actually good to not have it sound like a jet engine.

Here's a noise comparison

http://www.guru3d.co..._review,10.html

As you can see, load noise is very good for a performance graphics card

Wow thank you so much, that's what I've really been looking for!
I knew this card was a good one from the amount of info I found on it, but had no idea it was also so quiet!

#7 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

Have one on the way and will report back with my experience.

From all the reviews I have read it is the best card for overclocking of the variants available right now and fan noise is not bad at all.

#8 Ocilfa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:07 PM

Glad I saw this in time, I already have one! Please be assured it is VERY silent. Even ramped up to higher rpm's, it is amazingly quiet. With the cooling setup that it has, you'll never need that much rpm's anyways. Not only that, but the temps on this thing are gorgeous. I have never seen it go beyond 70C, and that's all with it having a 170mhz clock offset(Have not even touched the voltage yet). This thing is rock solid in every way possible. It is IMHO, the BEST 970 you can buy.

#9 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:59 PM

Just put in mine and love it. Super quiet and very cool. Which I kind of expected from having experimented with gigabyte windforce 750ti's when I was gpu mining. Maxwell stuff is much cooler in general from the lower power use already... then you put on quality cooling and results are great.

Have not overclocked it yet to see temps but even checking it with afterburner to push the fan speed up was still quiet.

I will buy another if SLI support comes in.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 21 October 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#10 Pet Dude

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUS West

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

Do a search on that specific card. GTX970 Windforce review. Take a look at a few. Hightechlegion, bit-tech, tomshardware, kitguru. They usually give a review of the noise and most times will compare it to other cards.

#11 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

The gigabyte g1 970 is getting extremely positive reviews across the board in all categories. I will be getting when i build a new system.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users