Computer Build

20 replies to this topic

#1 Makaru

• PipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:14 PM

I want to improve my game and I believe that some of it lies with my frame rate issues. I'm going to tell you what my computer has and I would like suggestions on upgrades (please include costs)

CPU:Intel i3 core 3.20GHz
RAM: I have 8 GB installed but my computer is telling me only 3.46 is usuable... help?
Graphics card: GeForce GT 610
Cooling system: Fan and heatsink on the CPU and 2 additional fans in the case.

If you feel I need to include more information please tell.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: more info

OK additional information as requested.

let me start by saying that I built this computer for my senior project and that I do have a low budget but I will work with a higher budget if I need to it will just take more time to save up for ect.

Motherboard: it is an ASUS and it either IS this one or is very similiar to this one
http://www.bestbuy.c...board&cp=1&lp=2

In fact I am pretty sure this is the one.

Power supply: It's like 700W or 600W power shouldn't be a problem.And again thanks you for the help and all the ideas that you've given me.

Edited by Makaru, 18 October 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#2 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:51 PM

Is this a prebuilt machine? Like Dell or something?

We need to know the motherboard too really.

Your RAM is the way it is because your using a 32 bit OS to make use of all 8GB you need to use a 64 bit install.

I think you should be able to download the 64 bit version of windows 7 from MS format the computer and use the 32bit key to install that however.

You have a slow dual core I3 with a terrible GPU that's your problem.

What's your budget to upgrade; and how much experience do you have building computers

Edited by DV McKenna, 17 October 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#3 DaRkInLiGhT

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTacoma/Seattle WA

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:05 AM

an i5 is recommended for mwo, and a mid tier videocard (a geforce 660/760 at the least)

8gb is more then enough, but yes, you need 64-bit windows.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:38 AM

Minimum specs I recommend:

Intel i5 quad-core CPU ($190+)
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 660 or higher ($150+)
64-bit Windows ($100 for the OEM version)

Reasoning:
MW:O definitely prefers Intel. It plays like crap on two cores, and prefers four. Once you have four cores, the faster the clock speed, the better.
Higher-level GPUs will allow you to use higher graphics options with better frame rates.
64-bit Windows will allow you to take advantage of the 8GB of RAM you already have.

#5 Vimeous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:52 AM

There is much that could be done but as always existing hardware and budget will be key.

Motherboard
We need to know what this is to decide if, a] overclocking is possible and, b] if a CPU swap is worthwhile.

OS
Did your Win7 come pre-installed? If is did it'll be an OEM copy, tied to the hardware and the key should not work with a 64-bit edition of the OS (that doesn't mean you can't upgrade it).
If it was bought as a boxed product there will be 32 and 64-bit install disks.

Screen
What resolution are you/do you want to game at? You want to be aiming for a 25-30fps minimum frame-rate for decently smooth gameplay.

I am assuming a small budget here:

Option #1 - Assuming this is a pre-built PC from Dell or similar with a custom motherboard and cooling.
  • Leave the CPU as is.
  • Upgrade to Win8.1 64-bit
  • Buy s/hand gfx card from eBay*. Nvidia GTX 660 / AMD HD6870 minimum.
Option #2 - Pre-built with main-stream motherboard and generic components
  • Option #1 plus
  • Swap CPU fan/heatsink for a more efficient design and overclock!
Beyond this you are looking at swapping motherboards, possibly cases and the CPU. At this point budget is your single biggest constraint.

Last note: I would certainly consider swapping your primary storage drive to a SSD. 500GB SSD's are now at reasonable prices and will make your entire PC user experience much more pleasurable with greatly reduced load times and general snappiness in general use.

* Identify the PSU wattage and check if it has connections for extra graphics cards (6 or 8-pin). Also check your case can fit the card you're interested in. Custom gfx coolers on some cards take more than 2 slots and are wider than some cases allow. If space constrained Zotac made a series on GTX 660 TI's with a short-pcb and efficient cooler.

Edited by Vimeous, 18 October 2014 - 12:58 AM.

#6 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

View PostVimeous, on 18 October 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:

OS
Did your Win7 come pre-installed? If is did it'll be an OEM copy, tied to the hardware and the key should not work with a 64-bit edition of the OS (that doesn't mean you can't upgrade it).
If it was bought as a boxed product there will be 32 and 64-bit install disks.

This isn't technically true, the OEM copy is one licence works for 32bit/64bit (OEM not retail). Whilst yes in the licence it is tied to the motherboard, the motherboard can be replaced and the copy of windows reactivated via phone line (here in the UK it is automated and has never rejected mine during numerous upgrades just because i can)

It the automated line, simply asks how many computers you have this version installed on you press 1 and it gives you the code to continue activating.

And this topic came up years ago on the forum and for the few people that actually had to deal with real people on the other end of the phone, simply put the motherboard died and you had to replace it, they will still activate it.
I have yet to hear of anyone being refused activation.

My Windows 7 for example went across 3 different machines with 3 different boards and CPU's including a switch from intel to AMD.

The key part is that it has to be the same version Home-Home Pro-Pro, but also i don't believe OEM keys work for retail downloads, so it would involve finding an OEM version

For reference of what im saying although this is talking about the pro version
http://answers.micro...01-76a4d5ba2a50

Edited by DV McKenna, 18 October 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#7 TuntematonSika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 122 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPig with an identity crisis.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:18 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 18 October 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:

Minimum specs I recommend:

Intel i5 quad-core CPU ($190+)
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 660 or higher ($150+)
64-bit Windows ($100 for the OEM version)

Reasoning:
MW:O definitely prefers Intel. It plays like crap on two cores, and prefers four. Once you have four cores, the faster the clock speed, the better.
Higher-level GPUs will allow you to use higher graphics options with better frame rates.
64-bit Windows will allow you to take advantage of the 8GB of RAM you already have.

What about the pentium G3258? When OC'd that thing kicks like a mule. It does play along with the i7's in crysis 3, so good enough, eh?

#8 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:42 AM

View PostMakaru, on 17 October 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

I want to improve my game and I believe that some of it lies with my frame rate issues. I'm going to tell you what my computer has and I would like suggestions on upgrades (please include costs)

RAM: I have 8 GB installed but my computer is telling me only 3.46 is usuable... help?

I reckon this is a prebuilt machine right?

The i3 is probably quite ok for this game, but that geforce 610 is not a gpu that'll run any semi modern game.

Given the small powersupplies and cases of most prebuilts I guess a geforce gtx 750Ti would be a good choice. They're small and use little power.

#9 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:25 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 18 October 2014 - 02:42 AM, said:

The i3 is probably quite ok for this game, but that geforce 610 is not a gpu that'll run any semi modern game.

Given the small powersupplies and cases of most prebuilts I guess a geforce gtx 750Ti would be a good choice. They're small and use little power.

For now, I would agree this is probably the best/cheapest route to get the game up and running.

As for installing Windows 7 64-bit, the OEM key will work on a retail disc, and will certainly work on Microsoft's ISOs. At worst, you might have to activate by phone

http://answers.micro...cd-b0e109bd7b95

I assume you have Windows 7 Home Premium, but whatever the case, just fetch whatever 64-bit ISO you need from this thread here

http://answers.micro...c6-24c7ba828099

#10 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 18 October 2014 - 02:42 AM, said:

this is definitely your cheapest option for sure... im actually surprised you can even play at all with your current detup.

a little more info would be good such as mother board, power supply? if its possible and within your budget you definitely want nothing less then an i5 and gtx 660 as said above. and upgrade your windows to the 64 bit version as catamount has listed.

my system (listed below) runs the game on max settings except particles, environment, and object detail set to high with fps anywhere from 46-60.

#11 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostTuntematonSika, on 18 October 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

What about the pentium G3258? When OC'd that thing kicks like a mule. It does play along with the i7's in crysis 3, so good enough, eh?

I suppose if you overclocked it to 4.8GHz+, it might be competitive/playable.

Better to get a quad-core i5 just to be sure.

#12 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 18 October 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

I suppose if you overclocked it to 4.8GHz+, it might be competitive/playable.

Better to get a quad-core i5 just to be sure.

You mean 4.2ghz plus.

#13 Makaru

• PipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:12 PM

let me start by saying that I built this computer for my senior project and that I do have a low budget but I will work with a higher budget if I need to it will just take more time to save up for ect.

Motherboard: it is an ASUS and it either IS this one or is very similiar to this one:

Power supply: It's like 700W or 600W power shouldn't be a problem.

#14 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 18 October 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

You mean 4.2ghz plus.

Even if that's true, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who already has a dual-core. The improvement in performance isn't worth the cost. If you want real improvement in performance, you get a quad-core.

#15 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

if that is indeed your board and your I3 is 3.2GHz Stock than I'd say it's a 3210, a Ivy Bridge that was released Q1 2013.
assuming you have a $500 Budget for just a CPU and GPU, I'd say get a I5-3470: http://pcpartpicker....u-bx80637i53470

and either a Radeon R9 290: http://pcpartpicker....-card-1003622sr
or a GTX 780: http://pcpartpicker....vcggtx7803xpbcc

#16 Vimeous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:04 AM

Makaru you've arrived at a cross-roads for your PC.
Your motherboard uses a 1155 socket and as such has been superceeded by Intel. So you can choose to maximise what you can achieve with the board you have or update the board (chomping some budget) and look at overclocking to keep the price similar.

In both cases the gfx card will be the same so before you play with any cpu combo's swap the card and see what you get. You might be able to delay any further expense and it'll be happy in either system.
Beyond that a fast 1155 i5 on your current board or new 1150 board with overclocked Anniversary CPU are similarly priced upgrades.

#17 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:22 AM

View PostVimeous, on 19 October 2014 - 03:04 AM, said:

Makaru you've arrived at a cross-roads for your PC.
Your motherboard uses a 1155 socket and as such has been superceeded by Intel. So you can choose to maximise what you can achieve with the board you have or update the board (chomping some budget) and look at overclocking to keep the price similar.

In both cases the gfx card will be the same so before you play with any cpu combo's swap the card and see what you get. You might be able to delay any further expense and it'll be happy in either system.
Beyond that a fast 1155 i5 on your current board or new 1150 board with overclocked Anniversary CPU are similarly priced upgrades.

If it wasn't a cheap B75 board he would have had the option of a 2500k and overclocking that to be competitive.

That said his I3 should do ok at low-medium but he does require a better GPU than a 610.

#18 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:54 AM

View PostMakaru, on 17 October 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

EDIT: more info

Motherboard: it is an ASUS and it either IS this one or is very similiar to this one

Power supply: It's like 700W or 600W power shouldn't be a problem.And again thanks you for the help and all the ideas that you've given me.

Hear this is my computer Build. (note do not buy windows 32 bit as it only reconzise Ram up to 3 GB) go 64bit instead

System Name: Megatron
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB
16 x GB DDR3 Ram Kingston Beast Ram
Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Motherboard Socket 1150, Z87 Express, DDR3, S-ATA 600, XL ATX
1 x Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive (Windows 7 64bit OS installed)
1 x Western Digital Black - 3.5 inch 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive (Storage used install Programs and Games)
1 x DVD WR Drive x16
2 x GTX 770 2 GB PCI 3 express Graphics cards
1250 Watt PSU
NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower Performance Gaming Case - White/Red

Ill let you figure out which system would be eaten alive between your proposed system build and mine lol, bit harmless fun

Id say upgrade:
Windows 7 64 bit
CPU to i5 0r i7
Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (budget card)
and your Motherboard better one

Edited by Death Storm, 19 October 2014 - 04:09 AM.

#19 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:46 AM

1250W PSU ...why not just invest in a nuclear power station!

#20 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 19 October 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

1250W PSU ...why not just invest in a nuclear power station!

lol It allows me expand on what graphics card I can run. I check wattage on every device when building a PC to make sure i have adequate power and for future enhancements

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users