#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostTarogato, on 21 October 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Kon, as much as I get killed in the rear torso (I started keeping track every time I died), I never thought to put the armour in the front and use it as a shield. That's brilliant, I'm rather excited to try it out now. Fun fact... you don't need full leg armour in a Jenner either - my deaths from legging were very few. I lost more arms than legs, actually.

You're welcome. Though even if you're not using the front end as a shield, it should be really difficult to be hit in the rear torso (unless by streaks). If you are, perhaps consider some zig-zagging? Running in a straight line is the fastest way to get killed.

Oh I know. (Unlike Ravens and Locusts which have oversized legs -- as in the hitboxes are larger than the legs themselves). I only keep the leg armor because in the Jenner I haven't got the time to worry about the softening the landings. That and streaks... about the only way I get legged in a Jenner is streaks.

:)

#22 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 October 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

You're welcome. Though even if you're not using the front end as a shield, it should be really difficult to be hit in the rear torso (unless by streaks). If you are, perhaps consider some zig-zagging? Running in a straight line is the fastest way to get killed.

Oh I know. (Unlike Ravens and Locusts which have oversized legs -- as in the hitboxes are larger than the legs themselves). I only keep the leg armor because in the Jenner I haven't got the time to worry about the softening the landings. That and streaks... about the only way I get legged in a Jenner is streaks. :)

Actually, I think you just helped me realise something. I zig-zag a lot. I'm actually really good at it, but I think the problem is that I counter-twist very well (I play with a trackpoint, so it's easy). I keep my torso in a straight line but my legs do the maneuvering, so even though I'm zig-zagging like crazy, my rear is still perfectly in line with what I'm running away from...

Yay learning.

Edited by Tarogato, 21 October 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#23 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

Mmph. When I die in a Jenner, it is - barring a lucky alpha or a bad move on my part - /always/ from losing a leg; that may come from how aggressive I am in it, though. My head first, then arms, are where I skimp.

That has come to be true, however, regardlesss of which light I'm driving; the more you're in one, the more you spread damage, and the legs are the only place where spreading damage is very difficult. In my 'bracket', I think folks have come to know me; I'm not in Kon's league, but my legs get shot an inordinate amount in small mechs.

#24 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

Because of the high heat that 6 mlas put out, there's a guy in my unit that swears by only having 5 mlas and adding an extra heat sink. He does crazy damage in his Jenner (I've seen him get 1000+ several times), so I think he may have something. That being said, I completely agree with Kon's armor allocation. Shave the head first on lights and try to maximize everywhere else.

#25 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

View Postmailin, on 21 October 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

Because of the high heat that 6 mlas put out, there's a guy in my unit that swears by only having 5 mlas and adding an extra heat sink. He does crazy damage in his Jenner (I've seen him get 1000+ several times), so I think he may have something. That being said, I completely agree with Kon's armor allocation. Shave the head first on lights and try to maximize everywhere else.

5 has long been my favorite and is great for PUGging. 6 is a lot more "you die now" in a competitive situation.

#26 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:22 PM

View Postmailin, on 21 October 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

I find that I can do 3 Alpha's with my mastered 6ML F (14DHS), even on hot maps, that's already quite a lot of time spend near enemy mechs. Run in, strike hard, and get the hell out of dodge are rules to live by in most Lights. I'll simply cool of while I'm running away/repositioning myself for another attack run.

#27 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

THere's a reason the K is my favorite variant. Specifically, the K limits you to four MLAS, and then I add an LRM5, which is surprisingly useful. The limited-to-four MLAS really does help with heat dissipation; my rate of fire is very nearly constant.

So the question becomes alpha vs. DOT - my K can continue firing long after the F has to break off, and with the little LRM launcher, I can pepper even after I've broken off my direct engagement.

But the point is this: six ML pushes to a different fighting style than four ML - and, yes, removing one (or changing two ML to SL) can put your time on target into another bracket.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users