- - - - -

Best Armor For Jenner ?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Mobile Ordnance Platform

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:18 AM

what would be the best armor distribution for the jenner ?

specifically like a jr7-f with small pulse or ml
can someone share the most ideal/optimal ct st head ratio if there is such a thing

#2 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:22 AM

Sterotypical JR7-F using 1 ton weapons

You can replace the MLs with Small Pulse Lasers if you like. It has max armor and engine. And AMS and all 5 Jump Jets.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:29 AM

you've got enough free slots to add Ferro-fibrous(frees up .85 tons), with a little trimming you can get a whole free ton for another heatsink. Not sure if it's better to shave the head down or shave a couple off the arms.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:35 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 20 October 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

you've got enough free slots to add Ferro-fibrous(frees up .85 tons), with a little trimming you can get a whole free ton for another heatsink. Not sure if it's better to shave the head down or shave a couple off the arms.

Either/both. Should also drop to 1JJ, lose AMS and add more DHS. The only places you can't cheat armor on a Jenner are CT (5-10 back depending) and legs. The JR7-F is hot, you can't afford all that junk, just 6ML and DHS. KISS.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:01 AM

View PostGamerGirlGundam, on 20 October 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

what would be the best armor distribution for the jenner ?

specifically like a jr7-f with small pulse or ml
can someone share the most ideal/optimal ct st head ratio if there is such a thing

Here you go Gamer Girl.

This armor allocation takes advantage of the unfortunately primitive and severely limited hitbox design of the Jenner in which you are a running center torso with side torsos that encompass exclusively your shoulders and a rear hitbox that consists of a flat metal plate.

So long as you make sure your retreats give enemies your side or side front and do not retreat in a straight line, you will never take any damage to the rear.

And if you do, well you were probably running in a straight line directly away from the enemy or running from LRMs without looking in their direction (both of which are cardinal sins and you should be ashamed).

That said..
with the exception of an all new V-shape split on the Pelvis, this is the Jenner's hitbox. And honestly I don't even think that got updated.
Posted Image
The good news is that due to this logical fallacy you can never go wrong with an XL engine, and the Jenner won't be prone to one shot kills after doing your armor like this. :) In fact you'll find people will cry about your lag shield when you have none! :D :wub:

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:07 AM

I personally find it a shame they couldn't use the original Mechwarrior's hitboxes for the Jenner.

Posted Image
The "head" is the CT, the cockpit is the "head", the big blocky section on the back is the LT and RT, essentially dividing the mech into 3 sections.
In this case the CT would still be larger.
In MWO the three sections (due to the shoulders being where the legs should be) would actually be about the same size, with the CT only being larger due to the inclusion of the pelvis.
The Jenner depicted has minor damage to the LT armor and the left arm.

Instead, we have the Japanese hitbox design.
Posted Image
Where the "leg" connecting points (which are shoulders in MWO) are the LT and RT, the 'body' is the CT, and the entire saucer section is the "head".
The Jenner depicted has a destroyed right torso and arm.

Edited by Koniving, 20 October 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:10 AM

Again, adding ferro can eke out a tiny bit of extra weight, if you really want another half-ton to work with(or lower the arms to make a full ton free but I don't know how much damage the Jenner will take to it's arm nubs in actual play)

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 20 October 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

Again, adding ferro can eke out a tiny bit of extra weight, if you really want another half-ton to work with(or lower the arms to make a full ton free but I don't know how much damage the Jenner will take to it's arm nubs in actual play)

My arms run at 20/24. I wouldn't cheat lower (nor is there much need). They do get hit, but not all the time. More often than the STs.

#9 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 20 October 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

Sterotypical JR7-F using 1 ton weapons

You can replace the MLs with Small Pulse Lasers if you like. It has max armor and engine. And AMS and all 5 Jump Jets.

I'd go a bit heavier on the front armor, that nose is the biggest target on the mech after all. Anything over 5 on the back still gives decent protection against solid rear torso hits, but there aren't a lot of people who would be trying for those.
You can frontload even more than that if you're good about torso twisting, but you risk getting instakilled by that one lucky hit.

#10 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:35 AM

JR7-F skirmisher build. no AMS, because if you're being targetted, you're doing it wrong.

there are really really good Jenner pilots that go 1 pt rear. but i prefer to at least have a little protection against stray shots

#11 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:49 AM

The hitboxes of a Jenner are inconsequential as hitting it at all is difficult enough :) . But I'd also go with nearly no rear armor and avoiding exposing rear armor to any enemy. Standing still is usually most unwise as well and try to avoid being the single mech attracting enemy fire.

Getting killed in one shot is still a possibility (and a joy to behold for twin-Gauss users) but no amount of rear-side torso armor is going to help you there. You can build to survive a single ISAC20 hit with 5 rear side torso armor... but why would you? Accept instant death as a challenge to run the Jenner.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 20 October 2014 - 06:53 AM.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 20 October 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

JR7-F skirmisher build. no AMS, because if you're being targetted, you're doing it wrong.

there are really really good Jenner pilots that go 1 pt rear. but i prefer to at least have a little protection against stray shots

Yep, this is the build...or cheat armor and lose a JJ for one more DHS.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:25 AM

unfortunately there is no such thing as a perfect armor distribution, that depends on several factors, however as others have said you will usualy die to a front CT hit, due to the fact that the front CT is such a large target

this is my experiance in a Jenner (my founders JR7-D, but should work just as well for the F)

in a Jenner I only ever seem to die from front CT or legs, after putting 5 points on the each rear torsos I max armor on front CT, both arms and both legs, I find the arms usualy go before the side torsos so if I need extra weight (after the endo and ferro upgrades) I will remove armor from the side torsos (but leave at least 20) and the head can go down to 6, high enough so you survive a lucky AC20 hit.

This armor distribution works fine for me, an experianced (but far from elite) Light pilot, obviously if you find your self dying from e.g. the rear left torso a lot then increase armor there (or get better at not showing that part to the enemy), if conversely you never loose a specific componant it may be safe to reduce armor on that section, but I always try to ensure any part of the mech can survive a single AC20 hit after once too oftern dyeing with no enemy in sight

#14 Mobile Ordnance Platform

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

ok thanks all and wow never knew that about the original jenner kon (imagine we had that model !)

i knew there was something fishy about the hitbox, im gonna try that 2 points of armor at the rears it makes sense (assuming u dont show ur back as u retreat) it feels scary thou :o

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

Well the good news is I've seen Jenners run and while running they will keep an enemy in sight while retreating.

They each have a 120 degree twist range which, after elites is 144°.

That's 36 degrees short of shooting directly behind itself. With the stock 240 engine it can twist a full 140 degrees in a single second (also when elited), limited exclusively by your mouse! (So joystick users can twist almost the full range of motion in a single second, from one side to the other.)

With a long, broad body like this...
Posted Image
(Old shot, but funny I only just noticed this; the Founder's Jenner is shorter)
Posted Image

with everything beyond the arm being center torso, and a flat rectangle being the rear CT, you'll be able to protect your rear torso from any attacker, anywhere.

It's obviously preferable not to get surrounded, as you might be able to keep the common herd of enemies to your torso's front... you'll never keep an enemy that has you surrounded from getting behind you.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

Now as for the classic Jenner, it had a number of perks and flaws of its own. Some good, some bad, all of which give it character that I would have really liked.
Spoiler

On a side note for Battletech... I've begun working with Megamek to create specific campaign scenarios. Just yesterday I created one to simulate training pilots in Copper CPK-19 SecurityMechs to be able to traverse a populated downtown area during a busy time (with pedestrians and civilian vehicles), where the goal is to run a course and reach the destination without causing massive damage; where the civilian vehicles will react by trying to drive away and escape whenever a mech gets too close. The obvious result being reckless driving and accidents.

Since I have it set in Kurita territory anyway, I'll make sure they run their next test in Jenners for fun.

Here are two highlighted failures!

Several cars in traffic react to a mech running across the street!
Spoiler

Highlighted failure: Slipping on wet asphalt! Causes side torso destruction, loses arm, skids through the wall of a building and falls into the basement!
Spoiler

Final highlight; ICE-powered (Internal Combustion Engine) mech springs gas leak!
Spoiler

What great fun!
----

Do let me know how the armor allocation worked for you!

I'm sure you know but it is built with the idea that you'll do the chasing rather than being chased and it works well with hit-and-run as well as sniper Jen-Jens. (I know the head armor is low, but as long as you don't hold still no one will channel enough of a headshot to kill you; heck even with all the holding still I do in my ER PPC Jenner while walking alongside an Atlas with an XL 180 engine I've yet to be killed by headshot).

Hoping to hear favorable results!

#17 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

To support Kon - my 7K, my baby, with nearly a thousand drops, has never - not once - been killed by a headshot. It's just... not easy to do to a Jenner.

Legs and CT, yes, but only rarely to side torsos (usually only after I've lost and arm, and the side torso's then easy to hit).

#18 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

Start with max FF armor. Take off 6 points. Only take points from front side torsos, arms, and the head. For the JR7-F I take 4 points from the head, and one point from each side torso front. Always have max armor CT and legs, that's where most of your damage will be taken.

I have been head shot once in several hundreds of drops, and that was only because I was a dummy and stood still on a hill to type a report where the enemy was. Remember: If you can see them, they can see you.

#19 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:01 AM

View PostJonahGrimm, on 20 October 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

To support Kon - my 7K, my baby, with nearly a thousand drops, has never - not once - been killed by a headshot. It's just... not easy to do to a Jenner.

Legs and CT, yes, but only rarely to side torsos (usually only after I've lost and arm, and the side torso's then easy to hit).

I've actually done it once, ONCE! While also in a Jenner-F. We both were in that industrial area on Caustic where only little mechs can go. Both damaged, both at high heat and both desperate to get that killing blow. Which let to us overheating in sequence. Start up again. Alpha. Shut down again. This happened about 3 times for both of us, we were clearly panicking and not aiming well (I was pretty new to the game as well back then). When all of a sudden he shut down right in front of me, point blank, and I though "What the hell am I doing?!". Aim for cockpit glass. 6 ML alpha. Victory! Still one of my fondest Jenner memories.

#20 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostErtur, on 20 October 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

I have been head shot once in several hundreds of drops, and that was only because I was a dummy and stood still on a hill to type a report where the enemy was. Remember: If you can see them, they can see you.
Exact same thing happened to me once. I was strafing an enemy when I overheated and used the momentum to slide myself behind a building. Unfortunately I had slid too far and was sticking out the other side and I had also already started typing a report to my mates when a Dire Wolf rounds the corner just after I rebooted and hadn't sent my message yet, so I was just sitting there. Headshot.

View PostKoniving, on 20 October 2014 - 06:01 AM, said:

Here you go Gamer Girl.
This armor allocation takes advantage of the unfortunately primitive and severely limited hitbox design of the Jenner in which you are a running center torso with side torsos that encompass exclusively your shoulders and a rear hitbox that consists of a flat metal plate.

So long as you make sure your retreats give enemies your side or side front and do not retreat in a straight line, you will never take any damage to the rear. And if you do, well you were probably running in a straight line directly away from the enemy or running from LRMs without looking in their direction (both of which are cardinal sins and you should be ashamed).
Kon, as much as I get killed in the rear torso (I started keeping track every time I died), I never thought to put the armour in the front and use it as a shield. That's brilliant, I'm rather excited to try it out now. Fun fact... you don't need full leg armour in a Jenner either - my deaths from legging were very few. I lost more arms than legs, actually.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users