- - - - -

Ammo Explosion In Clan Mechs?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Tool Box

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 219 posts
  • LocationDealing with a lance of enemies by myself.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

Was just in a game with my dire wolf and I died after I backed down a ledge after losing my right torso. Then after about 5 seconds my left just blew up and I was sitting there with a cause of death being ammo explosion. Isn't case supposed to prevent that? Like the only ammo in the left side of my dire is in the shield arm that has nothing in it other than the ammo. Please explain ammo explosions to me cause I'm so confused right now.

Edited by Tool Box, 20 October 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#2 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:20 PM

CASE prevents the explosion from damaging adjacent parts of the mech. so if you have CASE and your LRM ammo in your left arm, and it explodes, CASE prevents the explosion from damaging your left torso as well. If you have CASE and your LRM ammo in your right torso and it explodes, CASE prevents the explosion from damaging your center torso as well (you'll still lose the right arm though).

#3 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:07 AM

to clarify on CASE.

CASE will prevent ammo explosions from travelling through your ST into your CT.
it can still travel from arm to ST and if you loose both ST on a Omni-mech you die.
CASE, on the IS mechs can only be placed in STs, while CASE is included in every single Ammo-bin on the omnni-mechs.
On an IS chassis with an XL engine, CASE does nothing.
On a Omni-mech chassis it can save your CT from an ammo explosion, however it will not save your ST.

#4 JayKay17

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 111 posts
  • LocationDresden

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:33 AM

In Clan Tech all ammunition comes with build in c.a.s.e..
A "cased" ammo still explodes when it is critically hit, destroying the location, where the ammo was, with it.
So in your case, since you lost your right torso before and your left torso was destroyed by ammo explosion, the result was the loss of both side torsi and therefore the destruction of your mech.
If your right torso would have been intact at the event of the ammo explosion in your left torso, your mech would have been running still, missing only the left torso and left arm, that is unfortunately attached to the left torso.
So for clan mechs it is generally a good idea to pack ammo in the arms, if possible, because in case of an ammo explosion you loose only the arm and you don't have the problem with the feeble rear armor.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:11 AM

With the right side alrready gone, upon losing your left you're dead. Any ammo explosion will deal a large amount of damage to that section, so if you had an explosion in the LT you will most likely lose the LT.

If you had ammo in the left, you must've taken damage to the LT to trigger an ammo explosion. If you had armor missing or did self-damage due to overheating, that could easily set off an ammo explosion in your LT. If your RT had been intact, you would still be alive.

#6 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:19 AM

If you didn't have "any ammo" in your Left Torso, I'm guessing you're using a Gauss in the Left Torso? Gauss Rifles can explode (though their ammo can not), and when a Gauss explosion kills you it's still listed as an "ammo explosion" on the Death Screen.

#7 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:46 AM

Because the Dire Wolf is a Clan mech, with free CASE, an explosion in the left arm may remove the arm but won't travel to the side torso at all.

A Gauss Rife is a fragile weapon with a 90% chance of exploding when destroyed by a crit, doing 15 points of damage directly to the structure. If this destroys all the structure and kills an XL engine, the cause of death will be listed as an ammo explosion.

Other than that, there is one other very exotic possibility out there. There is a very rare bug in the computer logic reporting cause of death. If the system can't identify what killed you, it defaults to reporting an ammo explosion. If your left leg was gone when you took the fall damage from going over the ledge, it may have possibly transferred enough to take out the critical left torso, and confuse the computer logic at the same time. But you would have had to have hit a lag spike or packet loss at the same time. The combination of conditions are so rare that I haven't seen it since the Beta. But if that's the only time you have seen a mystery ammo explosion then you might have just gotten lucky or unlucky.

#8 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostKonril, on 21 October 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Because the Dire Wolf is a Clan mech, with free CASE, an explosion in the left arm may remove the arm but won't travel to the side torso at all.

A Gauss Rife is a fragile weapon with a 90% chance of exploding when destroyed by a crit, doing 15 points of damage directly to the structure. If this destroys all the structure and kills an XL engine, the cause of death will be listed as an ammo explosion.

Other than that, there is one other very exotic possibility out there. There is a very rare bug in the computer logic reporting cause of death. If the system can't identify what killed you, it defaults to reporting an ammo explosion. If your left leg was gone when you took the fall damage from going over the ledge, it may have possibly transferred enough to take out the critical left torso, and confuse the computer logic at the same time. But you would have had to have hit a lag spike or packet loss at the same time. The combination of conditions are so rare that I haven't seen it since the Beta. But if that's the only time you have seen a mystery ammo explosion then you might have just gotten lucky or unlucky.

Just a couple of things:

1. When the Gauss explodes, it's 20 damage, not 15.
2. It very well could have been fall damage - but, that doesn't mean it's a bug in the death screen readout. The fall damage may have destroyed his leg, transferred damage to the ST, that damage could have caused a Crit, and the Crit could have taken out the Gauss Rifle. So, not necessarily a bug - just a convoluted ammo explosion triggered by falling, if that makes sense.

#9 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

View PostPoptimus Rhyme, on 21 October 2014 - 02:07 AM, said:

to clarify on CASE.

CASE will prevent ammo explosions from travelling through your ST into your CT.
it can still travel from arm to ST and if you loose both ST on a Omni-mech you die.
CASE, on the IS mechs can only be placed in STs, while CASE is included in every single Ammo-bin on the omnni-mechs.
On an IS chassis with an XL engine, CASE does nothing.
On a Omni-mech chassis it can save your CT from an ammo explosion, however it will not save your ST.

Clan CASE works in arms and legs too.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Ammunition Explosion in detail.

Daishi (Dire Wolf) Prime (Name) needs a 8+ to avoid ammo explosion, rolls 5 : fails to avoid explosion.
*** LRM 10 Ammo EXPLODES! 110 DAMAGE! ***
Daishi (Dire Wolf) Prime (Name) takes 110 damage to LT.
SECTION DESTROYED,
LIMB BLOWN OFF Left Arm blown off.
remaining 89 damage prevented by CASE.
Critical hit on LT. Roll is 6; no effect.

Note: The left torso is where the explosion occurs. When the section is destroyed, the mech's left arm is detached.
The remaining 89 damage is prevented by CASE, protecting the CT.

In another instance, where the ammunition is in an Omni-mech's arm, the damage remains entirely in the arm and does not spread to the side torso.

In theory you should not lose a side torso from damage dealt to the arm by an ammo explosion in the arm. (You would lose the arm however). However I do know that with certain rule sets, a crit roll could wind up in the torso from an arm explosion even with CASE on an Omnimech.

Another instance of CASE. This one a dual-instance.
Physical attacks for Locust LCT-1V #2 (Koniving)
Kick (Left leg) at Atlas AS8-D (PTC); needs -1, rolls 5 : - Direct Blow - hits (using Right Side table) RT
Atlas AS8-D (PTC) takes 5 damage to RT.
Armor destroyed, 17 Internal Structure remaining
Critical hit on RT. Roll is (8+1) = 9; 1 location.
CRITICAL HIT on Rotary AC/5 Ammo (20).
*** Rotary AC/5 Ammo EXPLODES! 100 DAMAGE! ***
Atlas AS8-D (PTC) takes 100 damage to RT.
SECTION DESTROYED,
LIMB BLOWN OFF Right Arm blown off.
remaining 83 damage prevented by CASE.
Critical hit on RT. Roll is (7+4) = 11; 2 locations.
CRITICAL HIT on Rotary AC/5 Ammo (11).
*** Rotary AC/5 Ammo EXPLODES! 55 DAMAGE! ***
Atlas AS8-D (PTC) takes 55 damage to RT.
remaining 55 damage prevented by CASE.

Pilot of Atlas AS8-D (PTC) "Lily Davenport" takes 2 damage.
Pilot of Atlas AS8-D (PTC) "Lily Davenport" needs a 5 to stay conscious. Rolls 5 : successful!

Pilot of Atlas AS8-D (PTC) "Lily Davenport" needs a 7 to stay conscious. Rolls 5 : blacks out.

Location has no more hittable critical slots.

Pilot of Atlas AS8-D (PTC) "Lily Davenport" takes 2 damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users