- - - - -

Been Away, Need A Briefing

33 replies to this topic

#1 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

Hello, happy people!
Have been away from the game for almost a year or so. Looking to get back in and shoot some mechs up. Does anyone mind giving me a brief explanation of the balance changes, new stuff, metagame evolution from the past year, as well as upcoming major features?

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:13 AM

welcome back

while I cannot go through every single change that had happened in the last year, here are a few highlights
UI2.0, the GUI has been totally redesigned and in the opinion of many players not for the better, however you will get used to it, UI2.0 was bad right after introduction but has been improved slightly in the last few months

Clan Mechs
there are now Clan Mechs in game, these have an XL engine which can survive after losing a side torso, and have fixed armour, structure and heat sink type, fixed engine and some other fixed equipment depending on the Mech, however you can swop arms, legs, side torsos and the head between Mechs (or buy the relevant component) to create a custom set of hard points, he Clan Mechs generally have a higher DPS potential but there weapons need to be held on target much longer than comparable IS weapons

in 2 weeks most IS Mechs are to receive quirks aimed to make them all equally competitive, the more competitive Mechs get less powerful (or no) quirks compared to the less effective Mechs

Jumpjets are now far less powerful

SRMs now work well and brawling is now a viable tactic

Autocannons have had their maximum range reduced to merely double the optimum range (from treble)

#3 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:35 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 21 October 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

Autocannons have had their maximum range reduced to merely double the optimum range (from treble)
Except for the LB10-X which makes for a nice bonus on the shotgun. Also there are new modules (especially weapon modules) and modules have been ordered by type with you only being able to take x of each type of module (depending on mech chassis/variant).

#4 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:39 AM

Thanks for the reply!

UI2.0 was bad right after introduction but has been improved slightly in the last few months

Oh, no kidding! I logged in last night, played for a while, and was pretty lost in the new forest of menus and options. I shudder to think of what it was like on release.

Clan Mechs generally have a higher DPS potential but there weapons need to be held on target much longer than comparable IS weapons

So clan is the go-to side for heavy and assault (as these are naturally inclined towards sustained, as opposed to impulse weapons)?

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:07 AM

Laser Hit registration may be off depending on your ping/internet connection. If you feel that you are not doing so well with lasers then try to switch to projectile weapons and see if there is any difference.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:16 AM

CW is another big "upcoming" feature (and has been "upcoming" for a long time) with a new due date before winter 2014.

We already have a CW map in place and unit registration under the faction tab.

A CW game mode which will be an Attack/Defend mode is under construction, bringing a new map, a new mode, and faction vs faction gameplay all at the same time.

#7 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:35 AM

IGP is no longer a part of the project. In a "town hall" meeting with Russ it was explained that much of the greif / lack of progress was their fault. For instance, apparently they refused to fund new maps or Community Warfare, seeing LoL as a good buisness model and attempting to graft it onto MechWarrior. They were also responsible for the lack of communication, forcing everything PGI attemmpted to post through a committee.

PGI is now attempting to start over, with lots of collaberation on various mechanics (they say they are willing to re-think stuff like ECM after Cw)

In other words, welcome back. It's a good time to be a MechWarrior again.

#8 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:09 AM

People covered a lot already.

As for the OP question about Clan vs IS mechs, I wouldn't call either side go to. The clan mechs have some advantages and some disadvantages. For example, a Dire Wolf can carry something like twice the payload an Atlas can. However, it is slow in the extreme (speed tweak gets you 53kph, Clan mechs CANNOT switch out engines) and is highly vulnerable to lights and faster mediums, or really any mech that manages to get to the side of or behind it.

Clan weapons have superior damage and range at lower weight and crit space costs, but they also have limiting factors such as longer duration times (lasers) or split up shots (Autocannons fire a rapid burst of rounds rather than one single shot like IS Autocannons still do) or streaming shots (clan LRMs fire in a stream while IS LRMs still fire in a cloud), so it isn't just a black and white issue. This will be especially true as the IS mech quirks come into play Nov 4, since many of those are very significant boosts to certain mechs.

#9 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:06 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 21 October 2014 - 04:16 AM, said:

We already have a CW map in place and unit registration under the faction tab.

Is unit registration something like a clan, or a team? How do I sign up for an existing group? For that matter, any easy way to find a few teammates for lance drops?

View PostRedshift2k5, on 21 October 2014 - 04:16 AM, said:

A CW game mode which will be an Attack/Defend mode is under construction, bringing a new map, a new mode, and faction vs faction gameplay all at the same time.

This makes me moist.

View PostColby Boucher, on 21 October 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

IGP is no longer a part of the project.

This, too.

View PostColby Boucher, on 21 October 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

PGI is now attempting to start over, with lots of collaberation on various mechanics (they say they are willing to re-think stuff like ECM after Cw)

...I think I need a shower.

View PostVoivode, on 21 October 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

IS mech quirks come into play Nov 4, since many of those are very significant boosts to certain mechs.

Saw this, can't wait! Am somewhat cautiously skeptical, though. I wouldn't want them to "nerf by buffing everything else" my favorite CN9 and AS7 builds..

Edited by The Boz, 22 October 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#10 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:29 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 22 October 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

Is unit registration something like a clan, or a team? How do I sign up for an existing group? For that matter, any easy way to find a few teammates for lance drops?

The official unit recruitment forum is here.

I see by your user icon that you are claiming House Davion. If have TeamSpeak installed I invite you to check out channel "ts3.hhod.com:7345". There's no password required and you'll find plenty of Fed-Com aligned players to hang out or drop with.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 22 October 2014 - 03:31 AM.

#11 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:22 AM

Where can I get more info on this and the upcoming CW? How limiting are the choices? If I pick one house and my friend picks another, I'm guessing we won't be able to play together in certain game modes, even though we're both IS. Right?

#12 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 22 October 2014 - 04:22 AM, said:

Where can I get more info on this and the upcoming CW? How limiting are the choices? If I pick one house and my friend picks another, I'm guessing we won't be able to play together in certain game modes, even though we're both IS. Right?

It's unclear just how strict limits will be.

Best advice I can give you is read through the command chair posts. I'm online for the moment if you want to log into TeamSpeak, use the channel address from my previous post,

#13 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:02 AM

Will have to wait, am at work now, but thanks for offering!

#14 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 22 October 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

This makes me moist.

Which part of your body are you referring to?

#15 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:14 AM

The lips, obviously. Why, were thinking of something perverted?

#16 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:32 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 22 October 2014 - 05:14 AM, said:

The lips, obviously. Why, were thinking of something perverted?

I thought you were referring to eyes.

#17 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 21 October 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

So clan is the go-to side for heavy and assault (as these are naturally inclined towards sustained, as opposed to impulse weapons)?

Surprisingly, not as much.

Clans have arguably the best heavy in the game right now, the Timberwolf. (Although, it's the "best, simply because we don't have it's IS contenders).

That mech has the sweet spot for pod space, and tonnage +XL375, letting it run at 90+Kph, with big guns ablazing.

The Assault scene is a bit different. The DWF has the most dakka in the game, naturally, but it's so immobile that glaciers out-maneuver it. So it kills everything at long range (assuming half competent player), but close range is where the Atlas wins (AC20+SRMs kills most things disturbingly fast).

Basically, if you like long range, the clans will be more to your liking, they excel at long range, and damage over time. While IS excels at short range and fast blasts.

Also, it hasn't been mentioned here, but clans have proper ACs. The clan AC 20 fires 5 shells each dealing 4 damage, instead of 1 near-impossible shell that deals 20 (Yeah, I know the Cauldron Born had one that fired a single shell, but that's ONE case).

View PostThe Boz, on 22 October 2014 - 04:22 AM, said:

What we do know for sure, is that CW is going to be the clan invasion (they will start in the Oberon confederation, like in lore), and it looks like the main focus will be IS vs. Clan.

Not sure if they are going to let our Houses, and clans bicker with one another as well as with the opposing faction, or not.

Also, welcome back to the game.

#18 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 October 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

(Yeah, I know the Cauldron Born had one that fired a single shell, but that's ONE case).

There is even some debate on that - Koniving found some evidence that the CB was the one that fired a 4 round burst
(Next smallest if I remember being a 10 round burst)

#19 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 22 October 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

There is even some debate on that - Koniving found some evidence that the CB was the one that fired a 4 round burst
(Next smallest if I remember being a 10 round burst)

Can we please but this dead horse to rest? The novels and TROs were always inconsistent about whether the guns were Single shot or Cyclic (multiple cases of writers clearly not understanding the distinction between semi and full-auto). Besides making all ACs cyclic completely defeats the purpose of having UACs and RACs in the game.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 20 October 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

Hello, happy people!
Have been away from the game for almost a year or so. Looking to get back in and shoot some mechs up. Does anyone mind giving me a brief explanation of the balance changes, new stuff, metagame evolution from the past year, as well as upcoming major features?

People are covering quite a bit here.

But very important: Read the most recent patch notes. Lots of new income changes are listed there in great detail.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users