71 replies to this topic

#1 Rawkstar

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:44 AM

Hi all,

...I know this gets asked a lot, but I am an old school guy who doesn't know ANYTHING about computers - I really enjoy MWO, but I get 23 FPS on lowest settings. If I increase the settings to highest, my FPS declines to about 8 FPS (mechs sure look pretty in the mech bay though). I suspect I need a new GPU ($200.00 to $250.00 budget), but I am not sure. ...pretty embarrassing to be honest...

Based on what I could gather below, I am wondering what I could do to get 40-60 FPS, or better?

Thanks to anyone who helps out. Let me know if I should provide more details.

CPU

Cores 4
Threads 4
Name Intel Core i5 3450
Code Name Ivy Bridge
Package Socket 1155 LGA
Technology 22nm
Specification Intel Core i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop

Here is a link to my my exact CPU http://h10025.www1.h...e=c03363686#N92

Monitor
Name Acer H274HL on AMD Radeon HD 7450
Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution 1920x1050 pixels
State Enabled, Primary, Output devices support
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:58 AM

Yeah, a gpu upgrade should get you much better performance.

How big is the case and what powersupply is in there?

#3 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

It's your lucky day. Yeah, a better GPU will actually help you. This game is very CPU bound (the CPU makes a bigger difference) but yours is likely decent enough. As it's already been mentioned, you need to figure out how much "power" your power supply has. Best way to do that is to open up the case and look at the thing (It's the big box sitting in one of the corners of the case, should be a label on it somewhere that shows the wattage)

#4 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

There are things about your situation we don't know. Can I assume it's a just a store-bought prebuilt?

In any case, you are definitely looking GPU bound, both from game behavior and system specs. The good news is that it's actually worth your while to update. An i5-3450 is a CPU and more than capable of running this game decently, and that covers MWO's CPU-dependent nature.

My only concern is that you may need a better power supply for anything decent. Please open your case and let us know what you have for a PSU before you buy anything.

If your PSU is lacking, then I'd get this combination:

http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.co...7-789-_-Product

MAKE SURE your case has room for this GPU. It's 10.59" long; plan to have 12" free from the mounting bracket in the back of the case to whatever will obstruct it first in the front.

If you're good on PSU and room, stretch your budget a few bucks and get this

http://www.newegg.co...7-741-_-Product

If you're pressed for space:

http://www.newegg.co...1-775-_-Product
That card will still require ~9 inches. This still leaves room in your budget for a PSU if necessary. If you can't manage 9 inches, well, we'll go there if we have to.

That should cover most cases.

EDIT: HERP DERP I linked you a power supply in that last bit instead of a GPU

Edited by Catamount, 21 October 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#5 xxREVxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

Yeah but....
Posted Image
this has to go.
I also didn't see a whole lot of cooling going on inside of that HP

Edited by Reverend Poison, 21 October 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#6 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

It's not out of the realm of reason, pricewise, to get a PSU, GPU AND case, although the OP would have to be willing to do the work to move the PC internals over, basically, building a computer. It's not hard in the least, though for someone who's inexperienced it will probably take at least a few hours.

Edited by Catamount, 21 October 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#7 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:31 AM

Radeon 7970's are super cheap on Ebay right now. You can even find 280x's for really cheap on ebay. It's a good time to buy used AMD cards. When I buy a used card, I look for a seller that guarantees the card is working and that will take returns, and one that hasn't been used for mining.

Buying used would allow you to stay in budget while getting other parts. There's a good chance you'll need at least a power supply.

#8 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

as u can see below my specs CPU wise are very similar to yours, if you can afford something along the lines of a gtx760 you will see massive gains. i currently play on max settings except particles/environment/object detail set to high. that averages my fps between 46-58 at 1080p ona 22" screen at 60hz

not sure what your budget is but you may need to check your power supply aswell to make sure it can handle anything above a 750ti.

Edited by Summon3r, 21 October 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#9 Rawkstar

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

Wow!!! ....you should see the big dumb smile on my face right now :D. ...I am glad to hear there is hope for my bestbuy stock CPU.

...thank you everyone for your advices and über fast responses, so good.

Budget wise, id rather spend a little more (power & GPU) and be at around 50-60 fps. So, whatever that looks like, is what I better get so I don't have regrets down the road.

I am on my iphone away from home, but I will report back on the power supply and space - I am sure that I will replace my power supply.

Anyhow, thanks again for the ideas - I'd like to narrow it down to two options and then pull the trigger and make this happen.

Thanks!

#10 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

View PostRawkstar, on 21 October 2014 - 05:44 AM, said:

Here is a link to my my exact CPU http://h10025.www1.h...e=c03363686#N92

Listen, Hoss: While your effort to premptivly field all the questions us hardware goobers tend to come up with is commendable, this link would'a been enough; The stuff about the monitor was kind'a nice, but really …

A quick googling doesn't seem to yeild more then the HP site has, so we are stuck assuming the video card has to be that tall and wide, and praying the PSU will handle whatever we pick. :-(

NewEgg seems to have a small list of cards that would fit, but a few of teh "better" ones seem too wide. Beware …

That PowerColor up top would seem your best option, if only it wasn't twice the price of everything else on the list.

The R7 240s on the list often have mere DDR3 memory, which would be bad.

I'm not seeing an nVidia option better then a GT 730, so I'd stick with ATI, if I was you …

Remeber to uninstall the driver with DDU before you pull the card.

Good luck!

Annnnnnd now that I've googled the monitor, it would seem you are currently using an HDMI patch, which the PowerColor doesn't talk to directly; It seems you would have to buy something that does DisplayPort-to-HDMI, or else buy a new DVI cable, and use the mini-DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter provided …

Not the worst problem in the world to have …

Edited by Goose, 21 October 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#11 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

$180 for an R7 250? dafuq? I seriously don't even...

I'm fairly sure the OP isn't stuck doing that :P It's not even worth upgrading if it means moving from an HD 7450 to a higher clocked HD 7510, which is what the 250 is. That won't play the game decently either.

I'm sure plenty of cards will fit inside that case, probably not long cards (that's why I avoided recommending something like a triple fan 280X), but hell, there are R9 270s that are very barely longer than the R7 250, for less, with three or four times the performance.

http://www.newegg.co...1-545-_-Product

Yeah, it's like an inch longer, but I've never been inside a premade and seen lack of an inch of space to play with. Of course, it'll help when the OP take a ruler and tells us how much space is in there.

But even if the OP was that stretched for space, I'd rather tell him to up his budget to $300 and get a power supply along with this:

http://www.newegg.co...2-128-_-Product

At least then he'd be paying $300 for $300 of hardware, instead of $180 for $80 of hardware :o

Edited by Catamount, 21 October 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#12 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

See: In the absence of photos of the back of the mans' case, we have to go with the physical size of the current card; Assuming the gent can work with a full-sized card just gon'a scare him off from the project, once he starts re-paying for shipping to get something that fits …

[insert obligatory snark regarding pre-builts here]

#13 Rawkstar

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

...I am getting that ruler out, I definitely don't want to skimp on the GPU because of space.

#14 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

R9 270 on the cheap :D http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f3f204867

#15 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostGoose, on 21 October 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

See: In the absence of photos of the back of the mans' case, we have to go with the physical size of the current card; Assuming the gent can work with a full-sized card just gon'a scare him off from the project, once he starts re-paying for shipping to get something that fits …

[insert obligatory snark regarding pre-builts here]

Nonsense. Unless this prebuilt is somehow intentionally designed to constrict space, we know it at least has the width of a typical ATX midtower, because it's no less wide internally than a 5.25" drive. The only way a card could be restricted to that size is if either HP decided to mount the mobo on, like, several inches worth of stud, in which case your card wouldn't fit either, or the side panel of the case had, like, a 3 inch metal block attached to it.

I've been inside dozens of HP prebuilts, and I haven't seen either. In fact, I've upgraded GPUs inside many of these computers, and have never been anymore constrained for space than I would be in a typical mid tower.

The OP has already preempted this silly trolling by saying he'll measure, and in the meantime, I'm not going to assume the need to recommend the purchase of crap that isn't worth the cardboard it's shipped in for gaming when it's far more useful to assume that this is a typical mid tower HP desktop for the time being.

If and when the OP tells us the side panel is actually 5 inches thick, we can cross that bridge, but I'm certainly not going to assume as much from the get-go, because frankly, I'd tell the OP to buy a new case before I told him to buy something like what you linked.

So if we can be done with this entirely purposeless and obviously trolling line of discussion, maybe it might be possible to get back to giving the OP actually-useful statements.

Edited by Catamount, 21 October 2014 - 08:43 AM.

#16 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:48 AM

Here's my advice: After you figure out what you want to buy, wait about 3 weeks until Black Friday sales start. Newegg always has amazing deals that weekend. Be sure to sign up for their e-mails, as they generally also have items on sale that are only available at the sale price if you get to the site through the link in the e-mail.

#17 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

Photos of the slots, please: Inside and out …

#18 Rawkstar

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

Y'all gonna laugh, but here is an attempt to size it up: I tried to scale it in photoshop, the pink box is what a 9"x2" GPU would look like, it was hard to snap a good pic whilst using a see through ruler. Also, on the back, the PCI slots appear to be a stock 4", but if I remove an extra piece, it looks like I could fit a 5/5.5" if that makes any sense at all.

http://postimg.org/image/hgstot7gz/

Posted Image
jpg images

#19 Metalcell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 104 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

Just buy one of this bad boys.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127745 $200
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500348 $124

I have the gtx 760 and I can run the game at 55-60 fps with max settings but without any AA on.

#20 Rawkstar

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

This: I have the gtx 760 and I can run the game at 55-60 fps with max settings but without any AA on.

Just buy one of this bad boys, [color="#b27204"]http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127745[/color] $200.

Sold.

(...as long as it fits & I need to buy power).

Edit: Dimensions 10.24" x 4.96" :S

Edited by Rawkstar, 21 October 2014 - 09:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users