New Gpu Advice... Pwease Help :s

71 replies to this topic

#61 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:17 AM

Keep in mind guys, he's space restricted. Yeah, Rawkstar that mini 760 is sweet. It runs a tad warm, but only a tad (~80C), but it's clocked very high and will be fast. I'd go ahead and do it. Just make sure a power supply lands in there too somewhere.

#62 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:20 AM

Gigabyte just came out with a new option not in store yet but would you beleive a ITX 970 that is 17cm long for suggested retail of $329.99. Here is the link to it.

http://www.techpower...phics-card.html

I did a conversion of my nephew HP from bestbuy and had to swap the power supply out and put a radeon 7770 in itt would barely fit and he got another custom computer built by me less than year and half later. I had to go with what fit in his hp case since it was so tight. A modular or semi modular power supply would be the way to go so you only have the cables you need less clutter in your case.

Your processor and ram are fine it your gpu that holding you back a 760 or 770 would do or the 970 if you could swing the extra cash as long as it a short one would be future proofing your system. I love radeon cards but in that small of case you would have heat issue.

I myself am a amd person but I went ahead and bit the bullet and rebuilt a new system using the 4779 I7 processor a gigabyte h87 oc board ,8gigs of gskill 2133 ram running at 1866 mechwarrior does like the faster speed go figure, newish corsair 540 case, new samsung 830 evo 256 gig ,old 60 ssd corsair i think,1 terabyte mechanical hd and 500 gig wd pechanical drive but my weak spot is my graphics card only running a r9 270X xfx card. But since my ancient monitor only support 1600 res it does ok and hardly ever slow down to much. Running Windows 8.1 and mechwarrior looks so much better than what it did and ir runs better also.

What ever graphics card you change it will make a world of difference in how your game runs.

See you on the battlefield.

#63 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

just looking, his motherboard looks like pcie 1x16 should he look into a MB with 2x16 or 3x16 for more bandwith for the gpu?

compare prices from newegg, microcenter and tiger direct to find bargains.

Edited by Gorantir, 24 October 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#64 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:01 AM

Bullseye, I might have some interest in that GPU next year myself. I've been thinking of trying to put together a smallish form factor gaming PC (micro-ATX, not Mini-ITX), and I'm pretty sure I could fit two of those GPUs into something like a Bitphoenix Collussus and still fit an optical drive, even if I had to downclock them a bit for heat (so they might "only" become stock 970s?). The 970s small GPU is really suited to that kind of thing.

Thanks for the heads up :)

View PostGorantir, on 24 October 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

just looking, his motherboard looks like pcie 1x16 should he look into a MB with 2x16 or 3x16 for more bandwith for the gpu?

compare prices from newegg, microcenter and tiger direct to find bargains.

:huh: A video card only plugs into a single PCIE x16 slot. Having two won't give that card "more bandwidth". Besides, even if it's a PCIE 2.0 slot, which I doubt, it has more than enough bandwidth for almost any GPU on the market, and certainly a 760.

Edited by Catamount, 24 October 2014 - 08:04 AM.

#65 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

B) i know 1 video card plugs into 1 pcie slot but doesnt a pcie1 have like 250mbs bandwith and the pcie2 500mbs bandwith and pcie3 1000mbs.

the 1 2 and 3 represent the type of pcie interface not the amount of slots or cards ;)

i had thought his MB was pcie1 but see its pcie2

Edited by Gorantir, 25 October 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#66 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:56 AM

Yeah PCIE 1.0 is going back to like... 2004. It's unusual that it's not PCIE 3.0, given its generation.

#67 ValkerieFire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

I think he should get a GTX 750Ti as mentioned by others. The 750Ti requires no PCI-E power connectors. It isn't clear if he has any available which he would need if he got a 760 or higher. Also his cpu is good but not strong really. So the 750Ti would be a good balance between the 2 (that cpu may bottleneck a stronger GPU).

If he wants to upgrade his psu, then stronger GPUs are an option, otherwise a $130-150 750Ti will give him what he wants.

#68 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

besides the fact that the 750TI is really powersaving. have one myself here with a i-4570 on a intel mainboard.
a 300w powersupply was already enough to power my whole pc but i use a 350w from BeQuiet now.
i propably could run at max details but its not necessary.

it also has nice cooling abilities and you will never hear anything from it.

http://www.tweaktown...view/index.html

#69 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostAliisa White, on 26 October 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

besides the fact that the 750TI is really powersaving. have one myself here with a i-4570 on a intel mainboard.
a 300w powersupply was already enough to power my whole pc but i use a 350w from BeQuiet now.
i propably could run at max details but its not necessary.

it also has nice cooling abilities and you will never hear anything from it.

http://www.tweaktown...view/index.html

When I had my 2600K at 4.4GhZ and only one GTX 660 Ti, I couldn't hold 60fps with all settings at very high. You probably could run very high settings, but it wouldn't be very smooth in battle. It seems like there's still something broken with the SLI profile or engine somewhere, too, because 660 Ti SLI sometimes dips into the high 40s (with a 5820K CPU at 4.1GhZ).

#70 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 26 October 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

When I had my 2600K at 4.4GhZ and only one GTX 660 Ti, I couldn't hold 60fps with all settings at very high. You probably could run very high settings, but it wouldn't be very smooth in battle. It seems like there's still something broken with the SLI profile or engine somewhere, too, because 660 Ti SLI sometimes dips into the high 40s (with a 5820K CPU at 4.1GhZ).

the 750TI is not meant to have everything on highest settings. only the high end can do that properly.
i run MWO at 1920x 1080 and am always on 60 fps everywhere.
ofc motion blur and v-sync is off but rest is medium to high with AA on. i could set it up higher but its fine as it is. if you want to get everything high and still 60 fps then you have to invest alot of money to that whole thing.
if he want to do that then well, his decision but that gpu is very good for its price and he should be able to leave the rest of the system as it is.

as stated, the GPU itself is nicely cooled and i can see that here on my screen. max heat was 65° at my settings. so plenty of room to go higher on the graphics if i want to.

#71 EnzyteBob82

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

May not be the best option for the OP, but anyone looking for a really nice card that isn't huge, take a look at the Zotac GTX 970. If you have space restrictions, but still want a premium card, this is the one for you

#72 Rawkstar

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:58 AM

Hello team,

Thank you kindly for your feedback & input. Special mention to Catamount & Aliisa White ;D

I just wanted to follow-up and report that I have installed a new GPU and am VERY pleased with the results. I can now use a gauss rifle, lol. It is honestly like I am playing a whole new game. (...I had a good round with 5 kills and over 1200 dmg, will post screenshot).

I used to range from 14-24fps. Now, using my same old settings, I currently trough at 60fps and peak at 90fps. On average my fps is usually in the high 70s.

So, which GPU did I end up purchasing? This one: MSI N750Ti TF 2GD5/OC http://www.msi.com/p...-TF-2GD5OC.html (...its a huge card, but fit nicely without any problems).

Why MSI 750 ti? Aliisa White's comments help make this an easy choice. No power issues to deal with and installation was a breeze and took under 10 mins. (Also, the MSI 750 ti has a legacy switch to help with incompatibility issues). Anyhow, worked like a charm without any difficulties, which is amazing considering my junk CPU is a BestBuy special.

Thanks again,

...have a good one!

Edited by Rawkstar, 17 November 2014 - 08:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users