37 replies to this topic

#1 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:46 AM

This is something which I've encountered a huge amount over the last 48 hours and it's beginning to cause me a lot of rage and lost mech parts.

Blobbing up is great, it's what co-ordinated attacks usually involve, however please leave enough space for any mechs in front of you to back up if they need to. The bridges and paths into the centre of Mount Doom, various places in Mining Collective, even out in the water in Forest Colony, always be aware that mechs in front of you (or even laterally) may need to maneouver quickly to avoid a dodgy situation.

If you don't give your team mates room, they're going to take more damage than they should which isn't really going to help the team when you think about it.

#2 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:59 PM

Yes, this is especially great when you are in a light and you peek over the hill and see the ac40 jager and suddenly can't reverse because someone decided that using your commando as a shield would be a good idea.

#3 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:18 AM

I agree. This actually pisses me off more than team fire. Team fire can be an accident in the heat of battle. But parking your ass behind me so I cant back up is a deliberate action.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish PGI would bring back knock downs so when I am trying to back up my fatless or direwhale and some light or medium is blocking my path it knocks them out of they way. Lets face it a 100 ton object moving at 20kph is going to move a stationary object weighing 30-50 tons out of its way. Just watch what happens on a pool table when objects weigh the same.

Edited by RustyBolts, 22 October 2014 - 03:19 AM.

#4 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:30 AM

This is a major whine of mine at the moment and as such am complaining about it constantly in Daily whine. I don't know if my mech has a giant magnet stuck to the back of it or something but i'm constantly got friendly mechs standing right behind me.

I had a match last night where one particular atlas pilot literally followed me and blocked my reverse twice. Got killed the second time because of his incompetence.

In one match i was using a dire whale as a sheild in my new AH here's the difference i was about 50m behind it and offset just enough with my legs aiming at an angle to his to enable me to both use my autocannons around him and get out the way pronto if he decided to reverse.

#5 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:14 AM

Yeah, sticking tight is important, but there really can be too much of a good thing. Stay together, but don't hug. There are few things more frustrating than a clueless klutz who won't let you back down a ramp or hillside because he was following too close behind you.

#6 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

On the other hand, parking behind a backing up enemy Mech, even with the added friendly fire, can be one of the most rewarding experiences in the game! :D

#7 Catho Sharn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 137 posts
  • LocationAmerica's Crossroads!

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

As a side note, if you're on one of those narrow bridges at Mt. Doom, or cruising through a Mining Colony tunnel, PICK A DAMN SIDE. Using the middle means no one can pass or support you.

#8 N Danger

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

1) With voice comms this is easy to to deal with, Just communicate with the rest of your team.
Without voice comms YMMV.

2) With our corp we try to push through choke points if we have to take them. If you stop with everyone behind you, then you didn't just kill yourself. You killed everyone behind you in the restrictive terrain.
If you push through, you may die because you are first but the rest of the group will make it through and be able to concentrate fire.

#9 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

Yes please. It drives me nuts when an assault tries to climb up my Wolvies backside. :angry:

#10 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostSethliopod, on 23 October 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

On the other hand, parking behind a backing up enemy Mech, even with the added friendly fire, can be one of the most rewarding experiences in the game! :D

Shhhhh....................why tell others what I have been doing lately :lol:

#11 mithril coyote

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

this seems like a good time to point out a guide i wrote some time back:
http://mwomercs.com/...age__p__3330480

#12 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:02 AM

This happens far too often when I roll out my Hunchback. Just the other day I had an Atlas block me from backpedalling around a corner. Luckily I didn't take any return fire but I spun around and pointed my AC20 at his face, he finally clued in there. I then posted in chat that anyone who stands right behind me would be shot.

The irony was that he was an S LRM boat. Why he needed to corner peek to bombard guys in the pit at E6 on Tourmaline was beyond me.

What's worse though is when Assaults don't even see me in front of them and just start shooting, vapourizing all my rear armour.

#13 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 21 October 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

Yes, this is especially great when you are in a light and you peek over the hill and see the ac40 jager and suddenly can't reverse because someone decided that using your commando as a shield would be a good idea.

Best way to avoid this is to peek by running parallel to the ridge, or use jump jets to peek while moving if you have them. The walk up, stop, fire, and reverse peek should only be used when you're feeling absolutely 100% safe.

#14 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:43 AM

As often as I've suffered from this (in fact I just got out of a match where I died because of this) it's not something that really pisses me off. Because for as often as it happens to me, I notice I do it to others. The reason I do it to others is the same reason it happened to me in the match I just mentioned: I dropped down a ledge and started pushing on a Centurion, when when more enemies showed up, I had to back out and wouldn't you know that a Dragon had dropped behind me and I was trapped face first with an AC40.

So yeah, it happens, and it's because you make it look like you're advancing, so the person behind you wants to move up and support you, but at the last minute you chicken out and back down, but step on somebody's toes doing it.

So no, I don't hold it against somebody if they block me from behind, it's mostly my fault for pussyfooting in the first place.

tl;dr: what Krivvan said. =P

Edited by Tarogato, 26 October 2014 - 01:45 AM.

#15 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:05 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 25 October 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

This happens far too often when I roll out my Hunchback. Just the other day I had an Atlas block me from backpedalling around a corner. Luckily I didn't take any return fire but I spun around and pointed my AC20 at his face, he finally clued in there. I then posted in chat that anyone who stands right behind me would be shot.

The irony was that he was an S LRM boat. Why he needed to corner peek to bombard guys in the pit at E6 on Tourmaline was beyond me.

What's worse though is when Assaults don't even see me in front of them and just start shooting, vapourizing all my rear armour.

Wait till everybody or almost everybody is dead and you can shoot freely :D

#16 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

It's sometimes not easy to avoid boxing someone in. I've had it several times today where I was just minding my own business, someone cut in front of me, peeked around the corner and then tried to back up. Usually not a problem, but when I'm in an Atlas I cannot maneuver around you or back off fast enough to match your speed. So the burden is on you too, if you suddenly reverse and just overtook me on the hard shoulder chances are I'll still be close behind you.

#17 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

This defininitly happens too much especiallyinlarger mechs if someone blocks me when I am trying to run it gets really frustrating also people need to stop moving back and forth it does nothing unless your peaking up a hill.I have actually gotten backed onto and teamkilled by an incompetent ally whom I was a good distance away but in direwolf I cannot get away from people backing into me very well

#18 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 26 October 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:

Best way to avoid this is to peek by running parallel to the ridge, or use jump jets to peek while moving if you have them. The walk up, stop, fire, and reverse peek should only be used when you're feeling absolutely 100% safe.

Yeah I know :). I just don't always do it. But I was thinking of an instance when I was going through a tight pass and backing down was quicker than forward out of the tight spot to make a turn.

#19 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:42 PM

It's a 2 sided problem.

1) Try to give the mechs in front of you an escape path if you think they'll need it. - This is the infamous blocked in problem.

2) Try to keep moving so the mechs behind you can also get in on the action. - This is the infamous blocked out problem.

I find far too often I'm blocked out by mechs who walk into the middle of a walkway, and then stop, or who halt a charge because they back off at the first sign of fire. A few tips.

How to not block people in/Get Blocked blocked:
1) Avoid walking in the dead center of any walkway. Pick a side and stick to it if you can. This lets folks around you and leaves an open firing lane, and thus, promotes people to not be behind you directly.

2) When pushing into an area, stopping and backing up isn't always the best way to get out of the line of fire. While pushing in will subject you to more fire immediately, it will also let your teammates get in behind you and bring support fire by opening up firing lanes and places for mechs to enter behind you.

3) When trading fire, try not to block walkways (similar to #1) so other mechs can get around you. Remember, someone behind you may think you're pushing, or have need to get around you.

4) Be aware of your teammates around you. You're in their way just as much as they're in yours.

5) Remember, sometimes it's not a teammate, but terrain you backed into, particularly if you went over a bump, down a hill, or turned your legs.

How to not block people out/Get Blocked in:
1) Stay to the other side of the walkway as the person in front of you. That way if they stop and back up, they back up next to you.

2) Keep some space between you and the mech in front of you. Much like driving. It means you don't hit them if they stop, and helps give you and others firing lanes.

3) When charging, make sure you keep good spacing so you don't run into each other and let folks behind you have firing lanes as well.

4) Be aware when a mech near you is trading fire and peeking. Try not to get in their way, or get a different angle on the combat.

Remember, blocking and and blocking out are both caused by similar behaviors. Don't be that guy who blocks others.

Edited by Bront, 26 October 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#20 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:17 AM

View PostKyocera, on 21 October 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

This is something which I've encountered a huge amount over the last 48 hours and it's beginning to cause me a lot of rage and lost mech parts.

Blobbing up is great, it's what co-ordinated attacks usually involve, however please leave enough space for any mechs in front of you to back up if they need to. The bridges and paths into the centre of Mount Doom, various places in Mining Collective, even out in the water in Forest Colony, always be aware that mechs in front of you (or even laterally) may need to maneouver quickly to avoid a dodgy situation.

If you don't give your team mates room, they're going to take more damage than they should which isn't really going to help the team when you think about it.

The Cbill rewards 2.0 is causing a lot of this and also maps that are simply too small for 12-12.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users