33 replies to this topic

#1 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

TW-S LRM Boat

Before patch, had a T Wolf-S with 55 tubes LRM ( 3 X15 1X10) , 4 CML's, Tag and over 2000 missiles.....

Can't seem to recreate that. Is it possible?

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

Not with so many missiles - but otherwise yes.

Have to keep in mind - you lost tonnage to the JJ.

#3 Firemage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 120 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:18 AM

Saying this as someone who uses LRMs in every mech he's mastered, and has LRMs in every TW load out he uses. LRMs don't give the Timber Wolf it's fangs. It's speed armor and flexibility are what make it a beast. While the JJ thing is a nerf the TW is still a great mech, in most hands, and down right sick in good hands.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

View PostFiremage, on 22 October 2014 - 12:18 AM, said:

While the JJ thing is a nerf the TW is still a great mech, in most hands, and down right sick in good hands.

It is probably going to be even less of a nerf after the next JJ fix makes it in

More JJ are supposedly going to be better than less.

#5 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

No, the Timber Wolf has not lost its fangs.

Lurm-heavy loadouts will be better on the Mad Dog (sort of), but the Timber Wolf as a whole didn't really lose much of anything in the update. A couple of players lost bits of interesting builds they liked - my GaussVomit TBR-C lost its seventh laser to a forced RT Omnipod change, which is dismaying considering the nice symmetry that build used to have with a laser in each torso - but realistically nobody lost anything they can't make up somewhere else.

#6 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

I hear you... I hate it when developers make me conform to their idea of balance. Anytime they post a new Nerf alert I cringe. . As for the TW, I absolutely hate piloting them, because I suck with them when I'm behind the wheel. Its hard for me to see justification in this with how sensationalized the clans were in the beginning. They were supposed to be better mechs. I have always preferred my IS Mechs because I'm an underdog, now Clam (spelling intentional) mechs seem cheap to me because my IS mechs now outperform my clanners ~Grins. Tough brakes man. Good Luck.

#7 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

I feel ya Shar. I ran a TBR-Prime with S side-torsos (4x ML + 2x LBX10) and it was a brawler dejur.

Now with these damn jump jets stuck in there I have a choice between the LB10X or ammo for it. :-/

#8 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

I play a 2LPL/4ML TBR-prime with the LPLs in the torso requiring at least 1 S-torso. With BAP and a TC1 it is still very effective. I actually only exchanged 1 DHS for a JJ, so fine by me.

#9 Athena Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

@Odd Thomas
Timberwolf is just a good mech overall because of good speed and armor with a good amount of space for weapons or does it have some quirk in MWO that makes it not as good?

Why make a LRM boat?

What makes the timberwolf so good is you can have a mix of weapons. Don't think Machine guns are worth it in MWO or did that change?

Did something change with LRMs?

Last time I tried a LRM's in a Stalker they were kind of bad with all the ECM around and LRMs too slow to hit fast mechs reliably. Tthe IS LRM min range hurt with the slow Stalker.

@The Great Unwashed
That actually sounds really mean.

#10 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:15 AM

What this hurtmost was the kitfox.

Ruined all my builds.

#11 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 22 October 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

Ruined all my builds.

I don't see how? I had to tweak a couple of mine but it was not big deal on the kitfox. I just run it with a single S leg now when I want to use JJs and it is the exact same as it was before.

And in actually almost all my TWolf builds are unchanged as well. Sure I am having trouble with a good TBR-S build now, but that is mostly because I did not use JJ in my S. I made mine a streak machine or put artemis with LRMs (or SRMs depending on how I felt). So yes boating missiles became a bit more difficult and I can longer fill every weapon hardpoint in the Side Torsos as easily, but I don't see it as that big a deal. I will just mess around with some new builds.

I should also point out I am very glad they did this. I never understood why they would have the TWolf and Kitfox be the only two mechs in the game that don't have locked JJs. This just seems right to me.

#12 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 22 October 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

I don't see how? I had to tweak a couple of mine but it was not big deal on the kitfox. I just run it with a single S leg now when I want to use JJs and it is the exact same as it was before.

And in actually almost all my TWolf builds are unchanged as well. Sure I am having trouble with a good TBR-S build now, but that is mostly because I did not use JJ in my S. I made mine a streak machine or put artemis with LRMs (or SRMs depending on how I felt). So yes boating missiles became a bit more difficult and I can longer fill every weapon hardpoint in the Side Torsos as easily, but I don't see it as that big a deal. I will just mess around with some new builds.

I should also point out I am very glad they did this. I never understood why they would have the TWolf and Kitfox be the only two mechs in the game that don't have locked JJs. This just seems right to me.

All my Timbers are unchanged. I was running 2 JJ's in my Timber all the time. Now I've had to adjust one crit, which is mainly just moving the Targeting Computer over into the CT as opposed to having it in the torso.

#13 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

Ruined all my builds.

Mine barely changed. I could see lots of effect if you were using MGs or dual UAC2s

#14 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:17 AM

Ruined all my builds.

When you have a light mech with JJ, you slot at least 2. 2 JJ is all you need when using the ballistic ST's.

#15 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostOdd Thomas, on 21 October 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

TW-S LRM Boat

A TBR with LRM's never had fangs to begin with

#16 Sindak

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSwiss

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

Maybe I'm just daft....but there are 5 slots left on each torso of the prime where the lrms used to be. Thats the problem, on top of the forced JJ! Bad enough we cant build it the way we want... we accepted that. Now we cant even make the Timberwolf viable without using lasers. So lets just forget every other weapon and just use lasers for everything....so then why bother having different mechs....for the look? Some guy said put ac2, maybe machine guns?? Seriously???

Hmmmm..... TBR with 4 machine guns ....tell you what ..... you take that TBR with 4 mgs and I'll take an Ember with 4 mgs and we do a private duel..... who you think will win? Wanna place bets? LOL.... So why bother buying any other mech package they will sell us when they will just shaft us after they got our money....I used to buy everything...Now, I dont know.....

PS... who was it was panting for the Zeus? I'm just curious...is it for the look? ...the name? ...the nostalgia? ...because frankly, there is no build you can put on it that you cant do with an already existing mech......

#17 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

The adjustment on jump jets made the 2PPC+Gauss Timber-Tart very viable again,tried it couple of times after it and it was just like the good old days.

#18 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostSindak, on 25 October 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

Maybe I'm just daft....but there are 5 slots left on each torso of the prime where the lrms used to be. Thats the problem, on top of the forced JJ! Bad enough we cant build it the way we want... we accepted that. Now we cant even make the Timberwolf viable without using lasers. So lets just forget every other weapon and just use lasers for everything....so then why bother having different mechs....for the look? Some guy said put ac2, maybe machine guns?? Seriously???

Hmmmm..... TBR with 4 machine guns ....tell you what ..... you take that TBR with 4 mgs and I'll take an Ember with 4 mgs and we do a private duel..... who you think will win? Wanna place bets? LOL.... So why bother buying any other mech package they will sell us when they will just shaft us after they got our money....I used to buy everything...Now, I dont know.....

PS... who was it was panting for the Zeus? I'm just curious...is it for the look? ...the name? ...the nostalgia? ...because frankly, there is no build you can put on it that you cant do with an already existing mech......

whaaat? lrm only tbr was never really viable, wanna be viable? go srms's and lasers, or Big AC's/gauss. but lrms are not what makes it a top mech.

#19 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:41 AM

View Postw0rm, on 22 October 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

A TBR with LRM's never had fangs to begin with

he speaks the truth

#20 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

I think when the A and D become available (or their pods) some more builds will show up as a result.

The D will let people boat more missiles again without the JJ weight penalty.

The A may or may not bring more energy hardpoints into play depending on how it will carry all of its energy weapons.

Edited by Kain Thul, 29 October 2014 - 02:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users