Feature: Option To Automatically Select The Target You Are Shooting

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Feature: Option To Automatically Select The Target You Are Shooting (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see this feature, or something similar added to the game?

1. Yes (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. No (6 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:48 PM

I have often found myself getting quite frustrated while spectating a team-mate that doesn't seem to know what the R key is for. On a related note I have occasionally found myself facing multiple enemies and having to hit the R key repeatedly before I can find and thus lock onto the mech that is actually under my crosshairs.

As such I would like to propose the following feature.

In Settings under the same tab as "Arm Lock" and "Start in 3rd Person View" have an "Auto Target" option.

When this option is enabled your selected target will automatically shift to the enemy mech that you've most recently dealt damage to.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 21 October 2014 - 11:50 PM.

#2 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

The game will already auto-lock to whatever target you put your cross-hairs on after a certain amount of time. In addition, hovering your cursor over an enemy Mech will prioritize it for the Target Lock selection.

Example 1) Newb is fighting an enemy and doesn't know to target lock. If he keeps his cross-hairs on the enemy long enough, then the game will auto-lock for him.

Example 2) I'm fighting or scouting multiple enemy Mechs. Rather than mash "R" repeatedly, I hover my cursor over the enemy Mech from which I want targeting data and hit "R." Highlighting the Mech prioritizes it so that it is selected when I press "R," rather than any of the other enemy Mechs around me.

Ta-daa! B)

#3 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 22 October 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

The game will already auto-lock to whatever target you put your cross-hairs on after a certain amount of time. In addition, hovering your cursor over an enemy Mech will prioritize it for the Target Lock selection.

Example 1) Newb is fighting an enemy and doesn't know to target lock. If he keeps his cross-hairs on the enemy long enough, then the game will auto-lock for him.

Hovering your reticle over the target doesn't do it by itself. You have to actually shoot the guy, and then it'll auto-target him after a second.

#4 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 22 October 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

Hovering your reticle over the target doesn't do it by itself. You have to actually shoot the guy, and then it'll auto-target him after a second.

No, it'll do it automatically. I've tried it in the Testing Grounds. It takes longer than if you shoot it, but it does work...or at least, it used to; I haven't tried it in a while.

#5 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 22 October 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

No, it'll do it automatically. I've tried it in the Testing Grounds. It takes longer than if you shoot it, but it does work...

Have you tried it in game?

It doesn't work in game unless it is the first contact of the match.

Otherwise there is no auto targetting and you have to cycle through A B C etc till you find the one you're looking for.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 22 October 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#6 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

No, it'll do it automatically. I've tried it in the Testing Grounds. It takes longer than if you shoot it, but it does work...or at least, it used to; I haven't tried it in a while.

Ok. Well, let me know if you test it, because I really don't think it'll target until you fire.

#7 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 22 October 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

Have you tried it in game?

Because I've tested it in game and it doesn't.

Not intentionally, although I have had it happen a couple of times when I was observing enemy Units while scouting. I'm not sure if I had BAP or the Advanced Sensor Module equipped though; it's been a while since I played scout. I probably had Target Info Gathering though...

View PostDEMAX51, on 22 October 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

Ok. Well, let me know if you test it, because I really don't think it'll target until you fire.

Meh, frankly, it's not something I'm all that concerned about. I encourage you to give it a whirl and see but, as for me, I don't really care if it works or not. I know how to target enemies pretty effectively with "R" so that I don't have to cycle targets like a crazy person. ;)

The OP simply stated that the game doesn't auto-target enemies for you. I was just pointing that, under certain conditions, it does. Frankly, the auto-target suggestion in the OP is fine with me as long as PGI makes it truly voluntary. I don't want some AI trying to tell me which targets to shoot and wrecking my enemy intel gathering.

#8 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

It does, but then it won't do it again till that mech dies.

#9 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostBront, on 22 October 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

It does, but then it won't do it again till that mech dies.

Thanks for the clarification Bront. +1

#10 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

I like that targeting is a discipline! I say keep it manual!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users