- - - - -

What Clan Mechs Should I Get In Anticipation Of Community Warfare?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Athena Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

What clan mechs should I get in anticipation of Community Warfare?

I am reading that drop ship mode will be 1 light 1 medium 1 heavy 1 assault so will need one of each?

That just sounds backwards and it should be a set tonnage up to 4 mechs totaling that set tonnage.

Will be getting a Timberwolf S for heavy since a Timberwolf with jump jets was my favorite in previous mechwarrior games. I am considering buying one of those ala carte or one of the package worth the money? Just feels like it will be a long grind to get a Timberwolf otherwise.

Light the Kitfox for the ECM sounds like the way to go.

Not sure on Medium or Assault. None of them have jump jets. I remember liking the Shadowcat in other mechwarrior games.

Edited by Athena Pryde, 22 October 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#2 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

Personally, I like the Nova for the medium and Warhawk for the assault but a lot of other people will say the Stormcrow and Dire Wolf are better. I would mess around with them in smurfy to figure out which does what you like best.
At this point, a lot of the clan mechs are available for c-bills so I would absolutely say that is the way to go. The Mad Cat is coming out for c-bills in a few weeks so you might as well wait for that and grind out the already available mechs while you wait. If you choose to go for the Stormcrow, it is 45% off right now.
Last, if you are willing to shell out money, I'd consider the wave 2 mechs. The Koshi and Fenris are both going to be the fastest clan mechs available once they come out. Just a thought.

#3 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Run what you like while keeping in mind there will be a 240 ton weight limit. Also i think one of each chassis at the moment (not sure on that one)

But find groups of 4 mechs that you enjoy which also fit the weight limit is the best place to start. Some people will want to cover all there bases and bring one of each. Some might go more heavy if they want to do damage and brawl it up. But if you plan on scouting i suggest going lighter with a 100toner tossed in.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Stormcrow would be essentially the same thing. Same speed (97 kph), mostly the same abilities. It'll be a bit bigger, but it would take care of all your basic needs to have that Shadowcat feeling.

The Ice Ferret is also very similar to the Shadow Cat though for different reasons. It is the same 45 tons. It is severely limited on equipment potential, however, as its stock speed is 129 kph; it's obscenely fast.

#5 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

Just a heads up, the 1/1/1/1 thing got canned. You'll now have to be between 140-240 tons and use 4 mechs.

Also, you said that there are no mediums with jump jets. The Nova actually has 5 hardwired to the mech.

Anyways, onto the question. Stormcrow, Timber Wolf, and Dire Wolf are considered to be the strongest Clan mechs. So I would try to work at least the Stormcrow and Timber Wolf in.

I would like to take a Warhawk for the early siege part but that creates some tonnage problems with the other mechs I want to take. So right now I'm thinking something along the lines of:

Warhawk - Timber Wolf - Storm Crow - Mist Lynx

Warhawk - Hellbringer - Storm Crow - Adder

Timber Wolf - Timber Wolf - Storm Crow - Adder

Warhawk - Timber Wolf - Nova - Kit Fox

A lot depends on how the Ice Ferret and Mist Lynx turn out though, If they are somewhat effective you could really save some tonnage with them.

Edited by Rouken, 22 October 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#6 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostAthena Pryde, on 22 October 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

What clan mechs should I get in anticipation of Community Warfare?

I am reading that drop ship mode will be 1 light 1 medium 1 heavy 1 assault so will need one of each?

That just sounds backwards and it should be a set tonnage up to 4 mechs totaling that set tonnage.

Will be getting a Timberwolf S for heavy since a Timberwolf with jump jets was my favorite in previous mechwarrior games. I am considering buying one of those ala carte or one of the package worth the money? Just feels like it will be a long grind to get a Timberwolf otherwise.

Light the Kitfox for the ECM sounds like the way to go.

Not sure on Medium or Assault. None of them have jump jets. I remember liking the Shadowcat in other mechwarrior games.

With a name like Pryde, I would suggest using this one for sure:

TBR-Pryde

It should be a build that is like the one used by Aidan Pryde before he died Or a Summoner Prime might be good too, again going by your name...

For a "Pryde" deck I'd go with something like this:

TBR-Pryde (Aidan Pryde)
War Hawk Prime (Martha Pryde)
Nova Prime (Diana Pryde)
Kit Fox

240 tons, and keeps with a Jade Falcon them from the Falcon guards, three of the mechs used by named cannon characters with the blood name of Pryde.

Edited by Metus regem, 22 October 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

If you don't already have a collection of clan mechs of different weight classes, I would consider 2 Hellbringers/2 Stormcrows. Lets you bring ECM on two of them, and be able to be fast to return to the fight upon respawning to maintain pressure on the front line. Russ said a player could bring 2 Raven-3Ls if he owned two of them.

The reason I suggest 2/2 though, is so you are not trying to buy, equip, and master three or four different chassis at the sametime. you'd need 3 Hellbringers and 3 Stormcrows but that's cheaper than buying and outfitting three Kit foxes, and three Novas, and three Timberwolves, and three Warhawks, etc Other combinations of 2+2 also work depending on your needs(perhaps 2 TBRs, 2 IFRs), but the 45 ton Ice Ferret is still an unknown factor.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 22 October 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#8 Nyuuu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

When in doubt, always get the Imbawolf.

Move at the speed of a well engined medium, carry the armor of a heavy while having the the armament of an assault...

Balance!

#9 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

View PostNyuuu, on 22 October 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

When in doubt, always get the Imbawolf.

Move at the speed of a well engined medium, carry the armor of a heavy while having the the armament of an assault...

Balance!

And run hotter than Terra Therma!

#10 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

hellbringer and timberwolf

#11 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

If you're playing Jade Falcon, you've got to at least consider Kit Fox, Hellbringer, Summoner, Timber Wolf. Just saying, it'd be heresy for a Jade Falconer to not even think of that ;)

As mentioned, the Nova has jump jets, and is the only Medium in sight that will have them.

Since you're getting a Timberwolf in your drop deck, I'd probably recommend that you get a second or even third on Your drop deck. You're likely to get three anyways, which means eliting them. The two following drop decks with multiple Timber Wolves come to mind:

Timber Wolf / Timber Wolf / Mad Dog / Kit Fox

Timber Wolf / Timber Wolf / Hellbringer / Mist Lynx

Timber Wolf / Timber Wolf / Timber Wolf / Mist Lynx

They're good solid mechs and you can't really do wrong by going with them. The Mist Lynx offers ECM, though by doing that you're severely limiting your weapon loadout capabilities, probably making being either a ECM Umbrella with SRMs to fend off lights or ECM with a ERLL/ERPPC for sniping.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 22 October 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#12 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

Here are some 240 ton combos....
(Added them up in haste, double check my math)

TBR, MDD, SCR, NVA

DWF, TBR, IFR, MLX

DWF, MDD, SCR, MLX

WHK, TBR, SCR, MLX

WHK, SMN, SCR, KTF

Granted you are back to needing 12 mechs to have them all master. Maybe a TBR heavy deck like marsAtlas has proposed would be a good idea until you get more mechs in your stable. SCR, TBR and DWF and the big 3 right now. I do very well in my NVA's and KTF's as well. I also prefer Medium and Light mechs though....Im a glutton for punishment. :rolleyes:

Edited by DarthRevis, 22 October 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#13 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 22 October 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

Since you're getting a Timberwolf in your drop deck, I'd probably recommend that you get a second or even third on Your drop deck.

With 240 being the max, 3 Timber Wolves isn't possible even if the Fire Moth (20 tons) was released.

View PostDarthRevis, on 22 October 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

DWF, TBR, IFR, MLX

This is 5 tons over. Probably just thought the Ice Ferret was 40 instead of 45.

Edited by Rouken, 22 October 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#14 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostRouken, on 22 October 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

With 240 being the max, 3 Timber Wolves isn't possible even if the Fire Moth (20 tons) was released.

This is 5 tons over. Probably just thought the Ice Ferret was 40 instead of 45.

DERP.....see i know i made a mistake somewhere! :P and yes i did think it was 40...thanks for the correction!

#15 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 22 October 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

Here are some 240 ton combos....
(Added them up in haste, double check my math)

TBR, MDD, SCR, NVA

DWF, TBR, IFR, MLX

DWF, MDD, SCR, MLX

WHK, TBR, SCR, MLX

WHK, SMN, SCR, KTF

Also
3 Stormcrows + Timber Wolf
2 Stormcrows + 2 Hellbringers

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:25 PM

I know this is a thread about buying clan mechs... BUT........

Is this going to work the same for inner sphere? A drop ship with 140-250 tons, and put in 4 mechs? Is there some place i can read about what this is actually going to be? I have really not heard anything about this, and no clue how it is going to effect game play. Especially for people that play in PUG's

#17 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 October 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Is this going to work the same for inner sphere? A drop ship with 140-250 tons, and put in 4 mechs? Is there some place i can read about what this is actually going to be? I have really not heard anything about this, and no clue how it is going to effect game play. Especially for people that play in PUG's

It's supposed to be the same for IS (140-240 tons, 4 mechs). Check Command Chair section of the forums for details.

#18 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:51 AM

This only applies to CW drops, which is an optional game mode.

Regular 12 v 12 drops with Assault/Conquest/Skirmish and only one mech each are still going to be the majority of matches played, since CW is only available during specific time periods and for specific number of matches.

You do not need to compete in CW content if you don't want to.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 23 October 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#19 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

Same limits to the IS mechs, any combination of 4, under 240 tons. The thing about CW is attacking you need to be part of a pre-made group, so syc dropping, and that is going to cost C-bills. Defenders are going to be either a pre-made or PUG's... so yea, a gamble on the resistance forces abilities....

#20 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

If you want the primary source info, you need to check out the "Community Warfare Phase 2" threads in the Command Post section of the Forum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users