Pnt-10K Panther, Will 127 Kph Be Fast Enough?

108 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Posted Image

Max Engine: 250
2 AMS
2 Energy (RA)
2 Missile (CT)

Will it be fast enough, weapons versatile enough to compete?

8Z
250 engine
3 Energy (RA)
2 Missiles (CT)
1 AMS

9R
250 engine
4 Energy (RA)
1 Missile (CT)
1 AMS

and of course, no ECM.

Debate.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 22 October 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

As an ER PPC sniper I think it's okay. I'm hoping it gets an ER PPC velocity quirk and some heat reduction.

I can deal with something like this:

JR7-D

The speed for me is mostly to reposition to a better sniping spot rather than to outrun other light mechs.

Edited by Elizander, 22 October 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

We'll have to see the quirks.

Not looking the greatest without those.

#4 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

Where's all this info at?

Also if those are the honest stats, then I'm not sure the poor thing will hold up. Nearly Clan light speeds, though mercifully it gets all ten engine-mounted DHS at least, and with virtually all its firepower concentrated in the one arm and the missile hardpoints constricted by their CT mounting. Prognosis isn't great. It'll almost certainly be worse than the Firestarter, though that's not really hard to do. My worry is that it'll be worse than the off Ravens as well, which can at least get up to almost fast, and which can spread their armament around a bit as well as carrying better missile fits. Mostly.

#5 ShadowWolf Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

I think it's got some potential as a skirmisher. The 9R looks quite vulnerable though. Panthers in other games have traditionally been very slim but that won't make up for an easy to take out arm. I llose them often enough on my Firestarters.

#6 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

View Post1453 R, on 22 October 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Also if those are the honest stats, then I'm not sure the poor thing will hold up. Nearly Clan light speeds, though mercifully it gets all ten engine-mounted DHS at least, and with virtually all its firepower concentrated in the one arm and the missile hardpoints constricted by their CT mounting. Prognosis isn't great. It'll almost certainly be worse than the Firestarter, though that's not really hard to do. My worry is that it'll be worse than the off Ravens as well, which can at least get up to almost fast, and which can spread their armament around a bit as well as carrying better missile fits. Mostly.

Scroll down here : https://mwomercs.com/resistance

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

View Post1453 R, on 22 October 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

https://mwomercs.com/resistance

#8 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 October 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

2 AMS
2 Energy (RA)
2 Missile (CT)

8Z
250 engine
3 Energy (RA)
2 Missiles (CT)
1 AMS

9R
250 engine
4 Energy (RA)
1 Missile (CT)
1 AMS

and of course, no ECM.

Debate.

I'm thinking as long as you accept it's going to be playing more akin to a medium (look at clan lights), the Panther will do fine. It doesn't have the sheer speed IS lights love to go at, but it's still more than fast enough. Some might say it's fast enough to get into trouble but not fast enough to get out of it, though.

Anyway, SRMs or Streaks are the only real missiles they can take... but it should also be capable of taking a respectable energy complement. And due to the high-ish tonnage but lowish engine cap it should have room to put either heavy weapons or slap in good heatsinks.

Might be a case where ferro-fibrous is not desired , actually.

Also note that the Panther 10Z has 8 JJ max, the others have 4.

#9 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostScratx, on 22 October 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

That might actually give the 10Z a niche, albeit a very narrow one, as a vertically mobile sniper. The Spiders currently do that, but the Panther's extra tonnage make it better at the job, especially if its hitboxes are as favorable as the concept art indicate they might be. Eight jets and an ERPPC/(pair of) ERLL on a 10Z wouldn't leave a lot of room for anything else, but it'd be able to fire from all kinds of crow's nests people aren't used to dealing with that Spiders have never really been able to take advantage of.

Other than that, outside of some really nifty quirkage I don't see these guys making much of a splash. Shame. Oh well! At least the Hopper's looking every bit as excellent as Hopper voters always knew it would.

#10 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 October 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

2 AMS
2 Energy (RA)
2 Missile (CT)

8Z
250 engine
3 Energy (RA)
2 Missiles (CT)
1 AMS

9R
250 engine
4 Energy (RA)
1 Missile (CT)
1 AMS

and of course, no ECM.

Debate.

Pure, unadulterated, uncut, unedited, unequivocally, Jenner-does-it-all-better white hot steaming pile of (still probably better than Clan lights!) DOA.

All the missiles are in the CT, so you can either be ineffectual with Artemis, or inaccurate with a brace of 4's or one 6 - which will kill it as a close range striker. You can probably run an ERLL or PPC if you want some range, but the spider and raven will do that infinitely better. The 'Starter makes a better medium laserboat.

Having said that, the hitboxes might be good... but at that speed, it probably won't matter.

TLDR; MetaWhale food.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostScratx, on 22 October 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

I'm thinking as long as you accept it's going to be playing more akin to a medium (look at clan lights), the Panther will do fine. It doesn't have the sheer speed IS lights love to go at, but it's still more than fast enough. Some might say it's fast enough to get into trouble but not fast enough to get out of it, though.

Anyway, SRMs or Streaks are the only real missiles they can take... but it should also be capable of taking a respectable energy complement. And due to the high-ish tonnage but lowish engine cap it should have room to put either heavy weapons or slap in good heatsinks.

Might be a case where ferro-fibrous is not desired , actually.

2 LRM5 would work fine, for a harasser.

Maxed, with XL, ENDO; FF; you got a respectable 14 tons of firepower. Limited hardpoints might make it hard ot optimize though (Of course, JJs will eat into that)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 22 October 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#12 SpeedingBus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

I think its ridiculous they didn't make an ECM version honestly every light should get a variant with ECM lore wise or other.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 22 October 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

Pure, unadulterated, uncut, unedited, unequivocally, Jenner-does-it-all-better white hot steaming pile of (still probably better than Clan lights!) DOA.

All the missiles are in the CT, so you can either be ineffectual with Artemis, or inaccurate with a brace of 4's or one 6 - which will kill it as a close range striker. You can probably run an ERLL or PPC if you want some range, but the spider and raven will do that infinitely better. The 'Starter makes a better medium laserboat.

Having said that, the hitboxes might be good... but at that speed, it probably won't matter.

TLDR; MetaWhale food.

non arty 4s are pretty decent groups, actually. But it's still pretty bloody limiting.

#14 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

The Panther looks quite appealing to me. Apart from the Raven it feels like I can't load quite enough firepower onto a light for my liking. The Panther looks fast enough, and SRMs in the CT will give it a decent punch at close range or if you lose your right arm.

I'll probably take a 250XL, endo, FF, DHS, 1x PPC, 1x ML, 1x SRM6 (2T ammo) and 2x JJ.

#15 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Yes, it will be. The Kitfoxes are fine at 106 kph if you know what to do with them. Given that the IS lights like the Firestarter and Spider get god-tier hitboxes, I have no reason to assume the Panther will be worse.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

View Postaniviron, on 22 October 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

Yes, it will be. The Kitfoxes are fine at 106 kph if you know what to do with them. Given that the IS lights like the Firestarter and Spider get god-tier hitboxes, I have no reason to assume the Panther will be worse.

Yeah, playstyle will determine a lot.

Quirks, well, might need Urbanmech level quirks.

#17 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

Bah! All you spoiled children with your fancy Embers and Spiders! In my day, the Raven 2X and 4X had a max engine rating of 245. Back then, we dreamed of 250. To go 127 kph was a luxury we dared not contemplate. We could only go 124.7 kph. But we made it work! Why? Because we didn't want to associate with the Raven 3L goons in their cookie cutter SSRM builds, that's why.

And quirks!? You must be joking! We didn't have any stinking quirks either. Oh, what we wouldn't have given for an extra 5 degrees torso twist or 10% cooldown bonus on our medium lasers. But did we complain? Of course not!

And now for something completely different.

Spoiler

#18 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

If engine sizes couldn't be customized at all, it would matter less. Or you know, if there was a Stock Mode where every Mech retains a unique speed profile.

#19 J0N3S

• PipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

Guess the Panther will be the only Light with PPC quirks so far.

125kph PPC + 2xSrm4 and some JJ should work ... if the Hitbox isnt Crappy.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

ST hitboxes, skinny arms a bit of a worry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users