Making Skill Upgrading Simpler

7 replies to this topic

Poll: Skill Tree Made Easier (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Should pressing skills button take you directly to the current mechs skill tree?

1. Yes (10 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

2. No (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

How bout we make the UI a bit more intuitive? Here's a suggestion...

When I'm playing a particular mech I'm usually leveling it up or 'grinding' it. I don't understand why, to upgrade its skills, I have to do all this button pressing and searching after every match to:

One: see how much XP I've earned in the last match, and
Two: upgrade a skill using that XP (if it's enough for an upgrade).

The UI should I-N-T-U-I-T-I-V-E-L-Y default straight to that mechs skills-tree as soon as I press SKILLS. From there, if I want to view another mechs skills I can do so, but by default, it should go right to my current mechs skills.

Let me be clear, I don't mean the UI should take me to the current mechs chassis selection area either, I mean the EXACT SAME mech model I am CURRENTLY using. This shouldn't be too hard to implement and it's a feature we all will appreciate!

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 24 October 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#2 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 23 October 2014 - 06:55 AM, said:

How bout we make the UI a bit more intuitive? Here's ....but by default, it should go right to my current mechs skills. Let me be clear, I don't mean the UI should take me to the current mechs chassis selection area either, I mean the EXACT SAME mech model I am CURRENTLY using.

Aside from spelling out the word "intuitively" rudely to make a point, I can get behind this post and idea. It is a bit of a pain. Weather they add an additional button from the mech in the lab to take you straight there or via the already existing Skills button in the menu. Id say add another button in the mech lab when looking at the mech in question.

#3 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 23 October 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

Aside from spelling out the word "intuitively" rudely to make a point, I can get behind this post and idea. It is a bit of a pain. Weather they add an additional button from the mech in the lab to take you straight there or via the already existing Skills button in the menu. Id say add another button in the mech lab when looking at the mech in question.

You call it rude, I call it placing emphasis where it deserves to be. We have to make way too many mouse clicks to perform the simplest of tasks, especially this far into game development. Thank you for your input and getting the ball rolling here..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 23 October 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#4 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

I think I see what you're saying. By default it would be nice if the Mech that you've already selected would be at the top or something, as a priority so you don't have to scroll down a complete list of mechs -- then find your variant -- then load the specific skills menu.

If you ask me, A skills button should be under the configure options when modifying your specific selected mech. It'd be faster. Removing the need of always going back to that general list. The only useful part of the skills list; involving all mechs, is that it NOW has been patched to show all previous improvements with mechs. That's great, but sometimes tedious with the scroll-bar imo. IMO though, I don't need to see images of the mechs in that list because it probably loads slower, and it takes up space.
Loads slower, and pushes all the mechs listed below the one you clicked. With all the new mechs coming in, I think that it should formatted like this:
  • All the mech names are compressed to the left of the menu
  • The Names are in full: SHADOWHAWK not SHD
  • If you click on a model IT DOES NOT PUSH THE OTHERS DOWNWARD TO MAKE SPACE FOR A SUB-LIST
  • To the right of that it will show you only variant names: SHD-2K, SHD-2H, SHD-2D2, etc.
  • Images are NOT SHOWN to make thing load quiker
  • The tasks you've given to the client DO NOT STACK. ex: the Shadowhawk's variant's menu is listed at the top, and the Battlemaster's variants are listed below because you opened it while the SHD was still active
  • A specific variant is opened: The skill trees are reserved for a majority of the right side of the screen.
  • Skill descriptions are listed on a tab at the bottom, along with smaller icon, unlock buttons, and general skill-point total. GXP and Mech XP.
All of this should load faster, and what DAEDALOS513 said, yeah a specifc mech selected should have it's own variant skill-button in the mechlab somewhere. Reserve the collective mech skills tab list somewhere else or make it load faster. That feels like a reasonable goal.

PS. i think he meant 'crudely'

Edited by Zephonarch II, 23 October 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#5 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

100% agree - just bought the Mad Cat pak, am leveling, and what a pain after every single game to go into skills, find the mech i'm leveling in a bunch of mechs i don't even own, and the ones i do now own that are not basic'd yet are not hi-lighted and they look identical to the other un-owned mechs so i have to scan this big list of redundant mechs to find the mech i want

hi-light the unleveled mechs you own, not the mechs you already leveled - you can't level an already leveled mech so i don't need to know which mechs i leveled, just the ones i havn't!

they just added a 'configure' button to the home screen for the selected mech, just below that they should also add a 'skills' button so i can go straight into the selected mech's skill tree after a match

Edited by JagdFlanker, 23 October 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#6 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

Warnign bad paint skillz incoming

basically you should be able to reach everythign from the mechlab:

Posted Image

click the wrench enter the "customize"
click the small "rank symbol" enter skills. while that symbol shows the actual skill level in its color. Thats intuitition even if you were too unable to understand the term "configure"

#7 Moses Lanknau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

i dont like the skillsystem, cause it doesnt force u to take coices in the end, in the end u got all choices relevated by beeing able skilling evrything, and this is just nonsens but for the grind ... and just money for pgi from users who want to get over it soner ...

so i vote for evrything, that makes it easier to get over with it!

Edited by Moses Lanknau, 23 October 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#8 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 23 October 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Warnign bad paint skillz incoming

basically you should be able to reach everythign from the mechlab:

Posted Image

click the wrench enter the "customize"
click the small "rank symbol" enter skills. while that symbol shows the actual skill level in its color. Thats intuitition even if you were too unable to understand the term "configure"

Nice try but you are still adding unnecessary clicking AND searching.

One: You have to click on mechlab to view your list of mechs.
Two: You have to conduct a SEARCH for the mech you want to upgrade.
Three: You have to click on the wrench.
Four: You have to click on 'Rank.'

The whole point of my suggestion is to make it ONE click straight to the skill tree of the CURRENT mech you are grinding by clicking the already present SKILLS button.

IT'S ALL ABOUT EFFICIENCY!

Thanks for your input however and the effort!

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 24 October 2014 - 08:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users