• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

UPDATE:

Already bought these beautiful birbs. Still trying to get used to the momentum, but things will certainly get better when the skills are unlocked.

I always valued speed and agility more than sheer firepower, and cruising around the battlefield at about 100 km/h - over 100 after speed tweak - is an absolute blast, after being caged in the torture-chamber of Nova's cockpit. 120+ degree torso twist, more than enough hardpoints...the lack of JJ is the only drawback, but did I mention you could run at over 100 km/h? :D

Original post

So I just sold all my Novas - piece of crap doesn't even work nearly as well as my Hunchbacks. Then Stormcrow caught my eyes - fast, with moderate amount of firepower and requires almost no upgrades. But the thing is Stormcrow is bloody expensive even with C-bill, and since the chassis is on sale, I wanna make the decision quick.

So, any critical flaws I should know (like the crippling turn rate and gigantic arms of Nova) before going into Stormcrow?

Edited by Helmstif, 23 October 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#2 Magos Titanicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSagittarius A

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

Imho one of the best mechs available. There are light years between nova and stormcrow. You can blame me if you should regret it, but you won't

#3 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

They are super fun! Once you have all the variants (or omnipods if you buy em separately; I never do unless it's something you can't get by buying a mech), you can mix and match all sorts of stuff.

The C-arm is the only ballistic mount but you can fit whatever you want in it. The D omnipods are exclusively missiles for both torsos and arms. The rest of the omnipods are pretty much all lasers.

You can pretty much do whatever you want. My favorite is a big gun in the left arm, and using SL/SPL/ML to fill out the rest. But, Splat SRM builds are also great (you can do streaks too), LRM boat works pretty good, all energy gets a little too hot for me but that is very popular too.

Ironically my numbers for the Nova are a bit better. You have a lot more flexibility in the SCR than you do in the nova (mostly cause no fixed JJ slots).

#4 KaaaBLAMO

• Pip
  • The Covert
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

The only thing to know about Stormcrows is that they are insanely good and you should buy them immediately. I picked up mine as soon as they went on sale and haven't looked back. Their combination of speed, maneuverability, and firepower is ridiculous. Their only "flaw" is that they can't boat ballistics, if you're into that sort of thing.

Once you've made the correct decision and purchased your Stormcrows, I would suggest reading GMan's guide to them: http://www.mercenarystar.net/forum/index.php?topic=200.0 . I've found it very helpful.

Edited by KaaaBLAMO, 23 October 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#5 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

Screw it. C-Bill comes back. *opens MWO*

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 23 October 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Screw it. C-Bill comes back. *opens MWO*

You're not going to regret it. They're as much a joy as the Nova is a trial.

#7 Xione87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

I bought all 3 variants yesterday, they're pretty good for mediums and a steal at the current discount. The basic configs are already pretty nice and once you start customizing they can run a lot of different setups. They're turning into my favorite mediums.

Get as many variants as possible while they're on sale ;)

Edited by Xione87, 23 October 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#8 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

Currently Stormcrows are cheaper than Hunchies when they're all done. You can play the primes stock without too much of a problem, though you can build better with a little bit of investment.

I'm enjoying them so far, but I'm also dealing with the new Cent and Atlas and Shadowhawk, and the the huge medium queue.

Working on a laser vomit build, an open and core balistic build, and a mixed missile boat at the moment.

#9 PrototypeIV

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

Can't do ballistics, what heresy is this? http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e6b6571eb6c6894 Stormcrow is best crow.

#10 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, its a safe bet that you will enjoy the Stormcrow. It is just an all around solid mech.

#11 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

Well, it is a fast and maneuverable chassis. Combined with good firepower! What else do you want.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostLiGhtningFF13, on 23 October 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

Well, it is a fast and maneuverable chassis. Combined with good firepower! What else do you want.

It's also flexible and remarkably tanky.

I own six. :)

#13 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

OH THE JOY OF CRUISING ACROSS BATTLEFIELD AT 100 KM/H *tears*

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

the Storm Crow is (in my opinion) the second best Mech in the game (behind the Timber Wolf), it is fast and agile, with great weapons payload, the only downside (again in my opinion) is that it cannot mount Jumpjets

#15 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

Awwww yeah!
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3f2a26b0323542
I'm going to build this monster, so expect it on the battlefield anytime soon. :)

You can't go wrong buying this mech for the price it's at right now.

#16 Mobile Ordnance Platform

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

the cockpit makes you think your hiding behind a hill while your shoulders and 'hunch' and still protruding up in view
make sure you go down a little extra behind cover

#17 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 23 October 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

So I just sold all my Novas - piece of crap doesn't even work nearly as well as my Hunchbacks. Then Stormcrow caught my eyes - fast, with moderate amount of firepower and requires almost no upgrades. But the thing is Stormcrow is bloody expensive even with C-bill, and since the chassis is on sale, I wanna make the decision quick.

So, any critical flaws I should know (like the crippling turn rate and gigantic arms of Nova) before going into Stormcrow?

No crippling anything. It's amazing. It does end up with a lot of it's HS in the arms, but that's no real biggie.

Just remember that you only need one lower arm actuator for full arm movement - you can strip one out and cram in an extra DHS.

Also, if you really find yourself missing the mobility of JJ's, try the hill climb module. Really. With a full head of steam and a little finesse, I can climb any hill in canyon by brute forcing my way to the top.

God I love this mech.

#18 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

So whenever I buy a new mech, I always run at least one round with its stock config, just to get a feel for the mech, for what it was designed to do in BT and assess what it does and doesn't do well before I muck with it. Inevitably, I wind up stripping out everything and rebuilding the mech from the ground up.

Except it's not so inevitable anymore. I'm running the stock SCR-Prime config and it's amaaaaazing (said like "faaaaabulous"). Seriously, I'm not sure what I would do to make this better; I'm open to suggestions though.

Even without basics unlocked, it's a world better than any of my mastered Novae. It's everything the Nova isn't. It's fast. It's agile. It has great hitboxes. It's got wonderful hardpoint configurations options, and oh so much free pod space. I think it's true love. I can't imagine how great it's going to be with mastery unlocked. The only thing the Nova can do that the Crow can't is jump, and honestly, I don't really miss that.

I mean, what other mech can you run a stock config and do well in? I just got out of back-to-back-to-back rounds, ~700 damage three rounds in a row, multiple kills. Getting the basics unlocked is a breeze.

#19 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 23 October 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

UPDATE:

Already bought these beautiful birbs. Still trying to get used to the momentum, but things will certainly get better when the skills are unlocked.

I always valued speed and agility more than sheer firepower, and cruising around the battlefield at about 100 km/h - over 100 after speed tweak - is an absolute blast, after being caged in the torture-chamber of Nova's cockpit. 120+ degree torso twist, more than enough hardpoints...the lack of JJ is the only drawback, but did I mention you could run at over 100 km/h? :D

Original post

the only flaw is not to have one.

#20 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

View Postaniviron, on 23 October 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Except it's not so inevitable anymore. I'm running the stock SCR-Prime config and it's amaaaaazing (said like "faaaaabulous"). Seriously, I'm not sure what I would do to make this better; I'm open to suggestions though.

On Prime I removed a DHS, reduced head and leg armor and managed to fit in an AMS. On C I downgraded the lasers to ERML and freed up weight for a Gauss, and replaced the LPL with ERPPC. On S I downgraded the LRM launchers to 15, thus freed up weight to change to a Prime cockpit plus a TAG and upgraded the SRM launchers to 4.

But you're right, Stormcrows are extremely capable even when stock.

Edited by Helmstif, 23 October 2014 - 04:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users