Timber Wolf Prime Help Please

prime only with omni

23 replies to this topic

#1 Siegfreed

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:52 PM

I have the clan timber wolf prime only with all the omni parts. And I'm having trouble doing any damage. I've tried tons of builds and I am struggling. I'm constantly changing and I don't know if that's the issue or not.. really need help game is tons of fun but i need help. Anyone have any ideas or tips. . .

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:01 PM

Clan weapons have great range, and tend to generate a lot of heat. The T-Wolf runs very fast, giving you the urge to close with your opponents. What you want to do is actually engage them at around 500 meters. Where your ER-MLs can do some decent damage.

I recommend running the Prime with 4 ER-MLs, and 2xLRM 15s.

TBR-PRIME
Use the MGs after stripping armor.

You could also look up the so called "laservomit" build. Which uses 7 energy weapons on it.

Another set up that can work rather stunningly well is 4xER LLs. Fire them 2 at a time, at around 800 meters. The problem is their burn time.

#3 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

No Damage or just very little? Keep in mind that the Mechs in the Training Grounds are stock builds so the armor isnt always placed in a logical manner. If your doing Zero damage either your not seeing the Target Reticle or you are firing way out of your weapons range (unless of course your clients wonky).

#4 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:18 AM

View PostSiegfreed, on 23 October 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

I have the clan timber wolf prime only with all the omni parts. And I'm having trouble doing any damage. I've tried tons of builds and I am struggling. I'm constantly changing and I don't know if that's the issue or not.. really need help game is tons of fun but i need help. Anyone have any ideas or tips. . .

A lot of questions have to be asked because builds don't determine damage as much as what you do in a fight. Also what level of damage are you after? 300? 500? 800? 1000?

1) Do you live long enough in the round to deal damage?
2) Are you actively finding opportunities to fire and retreat while in the long-range peek-and-shoot phase of the round?
3) Are you mostly hiding behind cover and not doing anything?
4) Do you charge out, unload some alphas and then die?
5) Do you overheat a lot?
6) Do you go off solo or stick with the team?
7) Are you comfortable with the mouse sensitivity? It might be too high for the default setting and throwing off your aim.
8) Are you confused with having multiple weapon systems and not firing them effectively?

Here's something to keep it simple for you. Pop and shoot and then hide back. All weapons move at the same speed so just alpha strike. Put them all into one weapon group and then you can separate the UAC10 and one ERPPC for high heat moments.

TBR-PRIME

Here's something with LRMs if you prefer chucking missiles during the first phase of the match.

TBR-PRIME

Spew lasers out all day Twolf. You can separate the ERLL from ERML or group them by side (left/right).

TBR-PRIME

If you like brawling you can go with SRMs but it's not recommended unless you know how to maneuver close enough to use them.

You can also just go to Youtube and watch how some people play.

Edited by Elizander, 24 October 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#5 Siegfreed

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:29 AM

I want to do 500+ a game and Have the ability to do 1000. I like being in the fight but not on top of people

I think my sensitivity might be high for sure

#6 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

For games that are 500+ it's mostly survival and positioning as well as awareness of where your team is. You can do 800 with just 2 AC5s if you know how to play. Learn the maps and watch your minimap to see if your pug team is abandoning you so you can leave accordingly and not get squished.

#7 Octantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:40 AM

View PostSiegfreed, on 24 October 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

I want to do 500+ a game and Have the ability to do 1000.

Don't we all?

If you are doing at least 300 damage with direct fire weapons you are pulling your weight. 500 damage is a pretty remarkable game. If you want a 1000+ the stars must really align.

Try mechspecs.com for some TW builds. Odds are there is something their that matches your play style.

#8 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

You usually shouldn't be leading the charge if you want to do high damage. The people that do that die early.

#9 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

My recommendation, especially once CW starts, if you play against anyone named "Dawnstealer" (or any Steiner unit, for that matter), just shut down. They'll never expect that and will likely just mill around in confusion.

You're welcome.

#10 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

I'm just going to give the OP a few general tips.

1. You really want to get the most you can out of the Timberwolf prime? Save up those C-bills and buy the other two Timberwolves as soon as you can. This is this single best way to get the most out of your 'Mech, because it'll allow you to unlock the Elite level skills. The Elite skills are good in their own right, Speed Tweak being the best, but once you get all of the Elites on a chassis the bonuses you get from the Basic skills double(!) and that gives you MASSIVE boosts to heat efficiency and mobility.

Apart from those bonuses, you'll also be able to strip omnipods off of the other Timberwolves and rearrange them to make a hardpoint setup that really works well for you. Don't be too concerned about the 8/8 omnipod XP bonus - it's so small, you'll earn more XP with a more efficient build anyway.

2. Spread the damage you take all over your 'Mech the best you can. Make sure you're paying attention to your own 'Mechs paper doll, to see where on you're 'Mech has taken heavy damage and where you haven't taken much, and twist your torso to try to absorb damage on the undamaged components. Basically, use ALL of your armor.

3. Try this build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4cf337de7e2f037
It's very heat efficient, and if you're good with keeping those lasers on target, it'll take components and core 'Mechs pretty quickly. The 2 LRM10s are there pretty much only to be used when you don't have line of sight to an enemy, and you can't pound 'em with your lasers. That's why there's not much ammo for them - the lasers are your real primary weapons.

Edited by DEMAX51, 24 October 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#11 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:09 PM

Lower your mouse sensitivity

#12 Vezm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:21 AM

I use 4 ML and 2 LPL on one of my timbys. They have the same burn time and you can push the heat limit pretty close once you have alpha'd a few times by chain firing the ML or LPL. (FTR, I was running this before LPL were cool :P ).

Another has 4 SRM6+art and 4 ML, it hits like a truck. You have to resist the urge to get up front at the start of matches though and pick your moments. (used to be able to fit 3 MG's as well, but alas no more).[Correction: It still fits, it's just a little hotter].

I've also got a 6 MPL 2SRM6 (I think) build ATM to get my wub fix. I probably wouldn't recommend this one, it's quite hot and a bit fiddly to play. The SRMs are really just there to throw at peoples face to keep them on the back foot a little.

The 4 LL build mentioned earlier is one I used to use, it was a monster before, now it's still good.

Don't expect the mech to do everything for you and don't worry about hitting those damage numbers while you're playing. Use damage and kills as and end of match retrospective tool to help analyse what happened (or brag). Just focus on what you're doing while playing. I'm pretty sure watching NGNG on YT has helped me as a player.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by Vezm, 05 November 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#13 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

i leveled mine with dual ERPPCs/trip SRM6 w/4t ammo in the torso, arms packed with DHS - it was fun, but ERPPCs are a waste unless you can pop into view, fire, and retreat quick and the timber is too big to do that. plus the heat was a little much

i found this is the best loadout for staying back out of trouble and pumping out damage

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4ee9b98efd3489

i saw a lot of the vets were using this - same idea

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7f91a7ea46a2c3e

#14 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:53 AM

The Mad Cat is a tough mech, but it's not the invulnerable god-machine everyone seems to think it is. If you pilot it like an assault, you will die. A lot. Learning to roll damage across your body by torso twisting will keep you in the fight longer since the Mad Cat's arms aren't great for shielding, and losing a torso means you lose half of your armament or more.

My favorite build is the 4x ERML 2x ERLPL. As mentioned above it's got great range and burn time synergy. If you can time it right you can keep a continuous burn of laser fire on your target.

A great fire support build, and the one I really learned the chassis on, is 4x ERML 2x ERLL 2x CLRM 10. It's pretty hot since there's not a lot of room for heatsinks but as long as you stay at range (600-800 meters) and poke with the ERLL and LRMs you'll stay pretty cool. The ERML are for close in defense or for the final push if your LRMs run dry.

#15 Haike

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:27 AM

View PostVezm, on 03 November 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

Another has 4 SRM6+art and 4 ML, it hits like a truck. You have to resist the urge to get up front at the start of matches though and pick your moments. (used to be able to fit 3 MG's as well, but alas no more).

not true.
here's the build for SRM6s+3MG:-
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d49b1378eb5d479

However,here's my personal best build for TBR imo. Guaranteed to do great damage, runs extremely cool. Only weakness is the 40 leg armor, but you dont get legged often unless it's very high level games. This build allows for 4 50points Alpha in a row. It only takes 4secs to cooldown enough for each alpha once you hit the heat cap, @62heat you get to alpha.
FYI, this 1gauss 5medium laser is used in the last few tourneys for those high ranking TBR. That should tell you how effective this build is.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bb1c3e1c41a5666

For higher level games(in groups for example), drop 1 heatsink from the arms and start pumping your armor to something like this.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...73a5770699fea96
This build allows for only 3alphas in a row, and take around 6-7secs to cooldown sufficiently for another alpha after heat cap.

#16 Vezm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostHaike, on 04 November 2014 - 06:27 AM, said:

not true.
here's the build for SRM6s+3MG:-
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d49b1378eb5d479

I guess I just presumed it wouldn't fit after the changes. I didn't really try to put it back together as I haven't been playing my Timberwolves due to the stormcrows and now ice ferrits. In any case, good to know.

#17 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

View PostVezm, on 05 November 2014 - 01:12 AM, said:

I guess I just presumed it wouldn't fit after the changes. I didn't really try to put it back together as I haven't been playing my Timberwolves due to the stormcrows and now ice ferrits. In any case, good to know.

The changes only cost four slots, and a few tons. Nothing that can't be overcome by shaving off a ton of ammo, or two.

The one build that actually became flat out impossible, is the 4xLRM15s+Artemis.

#18 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 23 October 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

Clan weapons have great range, and tend to generate a lot of heat. The T-Wolf runs very fast, giving you the urge to close with your opponents. What you want to do is actually engage them at around 500 meters. Where your ER-MLs can do some decent damage.

I recommend running the Prime with 4 ER-MLs, and 2xLRM 15s.

TBR-PRIME
Use the MGs after stripping armor.

You could also look up the so called "laservomit" build. Which uses 7 energy weapons on it.

Another set up that can work rather stunningly well is 4xER LLs. Fire them 2 at a time, at around 800 meters. The problem is their burn time.

Drop machine guns, get TAG & CAP.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cc44eb19f836fe3

OP seems like a new player, otherwise I would shave 2T Ammo for Artemis. It's pretty good on the 15s, and the TBR has the speed to constantly generate it's own locks and flank the enemy with enough survivability to deal with the inevitable return fire..

Direct Fire (lasers): http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bef8c18404c2a27

Edited by Ultimatum X, 06 November 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#19 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

Since a lot of people are suggesting builds with pods you don't have let me suggest the following:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a272b4a38f93e54

Like someone said above being fast it is hard to resist closing with the enemy at times (though it will also be warranted on other occasions) I have great success with this build peeking corners at medium range. It is a beast in flanking maneuvers too, basically this is my go-to carry 'mech.

Some people have questioned my placement of a Gauss Rifle in a ST and I did throw the ballistic RA on for a while to run the Gauss there and both PPCs on the opposite arm but IMO the arms are always the first thing to go on a Timberwolf (whereas on the Dire Wolf it is usually my monstrous RT/LT going taking the arm with it) so in my experience I keep my Gauss up and running longer with it in the RT vs the RA.

A lot of people like to call this a "sniper build" but with the travel speeds of PPCs these days I find it more of an intermediate range build. It tends to brawl better than it should as well due to all of the damage being pinpoint (and the ease of CT shots at close range) but I have had my ass handed to me by other TWs, Stormcrows, and Mad Dogs with 4-6 tubes of SRMs/Streaks at clsoe range.

#20 DasaDevil

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

ITT people discover that the TBW is not an IWIN button.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users