Catapult Dynamic Slots

20 replies to this topic

#1 X-heketchis_V44

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

While I understand that dynamic slots stop some overpowered setups I have to question why catapults have them in is "arms" restricting its long range role.

Its not like it fires a 1-shot hellstorm...the catapult with 6 missile mount can't do that and even if it could it would burnout after one shot.

#2 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostXheketchis, on 24 October 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

While I understand that dynamic slots stop some overpowered setups I have to question why catapults have them in is "arms" restricting its long range role.

Its not like it fires a 1-shot hellstorm...the catapult with 6 missile mount can't do that and even if it could it would burnout after one shot.

Okay, you got me. What are you talking about?

Is it the limited amount of missile launcher sizes for some mechs?

#3 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

Dynamic structure and armor slots? Put your weapons and equipment in the arms first and your problem is solved.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

Are you talking about dynamic structure slots for Endosteel?

All mechs use the same system for dynamic slots, and all dynamic slots., whether Endo or Ferro, NEVER impede you from placing weapons anywhere you want until you run out of space. They never fill up the arms and prevent you from loading weapons unless you literally have no other place in the mech to put them. 14 slots is a lot to cram in when you also have DHS, an XL engine, etc.

Dynamic wendo or ferro will only ever be locked in place if you have run out of total free slots.

Count how many free slots you have and how many dynamic structure you have vs non-dynamic structure, and I bet you simply do not have enough total free slots to fit the weapons you are trying to fit. Catapults have 10 crits per arm.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 24 October 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#5 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

Yeah what Bilbo Said.

Step one: Instal engine
Step two: Load weapons
Step three: Add equipment (heatsinks/ammo etc
Step four: load in upgrades (Endosteel Ferrofibrous)
Step five: Add armor.
This should prevent dynamic armor and structure slots from getting in the way (provided you actually have enough crit slots to fit your dersired loadout)

#6 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

Have read the original post a couple times and I'm still completely unsure as to what he's saying.

#7 X-heketchis_V44

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

I've just tried the staging thing Bilbo and lykaon said but the results the same....armour and structure slots still getting in the way

#8 8Ball-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 292 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

Too much crap on your mech. Take the ferro off and you'll have plenty of slots. 28 dynamic slots used is way too much for most mechs, and since endo saves more tonnage than ferro, if you have to choose just one use the endo.

#9 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostXheketchis, on 24 October 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

I've just tried the staging thing Bilbo and lykaon said but the results the same....armour and structure slots still getting in the way

In which case you need to remove the ferro upgrade, it doesn't give you that much help on a Cat anyway.

#10 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

With a catapult it's highly unlikely that you can fit endo steel internals and ferro fibrous armor with a decent loadout, that's probably your problem. You simply don't have enough crit slots to fit all your equipment and the upgraded internals and armor. Switch back to standard armor and the problem should be solved.

#11 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

The only time the dynamic slots get in the way is when you have too much equipment and not enough slots available for it.
Try your build here:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

Then post the link for people to look at and we'll have a better idea of what the issue is you're seeing.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 24 October 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#12 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

And they always will. Those armor and dynamic structure slots are from the armor and endo steel.
If you upgraded both, they are taking up ALL your space.

If you want to keep both, you won't have many open slots and won't be able to fit many weapons or ammo.

Pay the money to revert back to standard armor or you'll never fit anything on a Catapult.

Or,

If you want to keep both endo steel, and ferro armor, accept the fact you'll have no room.

But, in the end, you'll probably want to just take ferro armor off, and be able to have more slots because the slots are not taken up by armor, allowing you to fit more things....

#13 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

After reading this, I am sure someone doesn't understand how the dynamic slots system works or why they "get in the way"

Quick lesson:

If a Dynamic <Whatever> Slot has WHITE TEXT, you can put gear on it and it will move to elsewhere on the mech automatically.
If a Dynamic <Whatever> Slot does NOT have WHITE TEXT (I believe it's brown or something? ), then it can't be moved because there is nowhere else for it to move to, therefore you can't put anything on it.

That's it. That simple.

Now, a quick RULE OF THUMB:

If it's a LIGHT MECH, you will almost always put Endo-Steel and Ferro-Fibrous in
If it's a MEDIUM or HEAVY mech, you'll almost always put Endo-Steel in, but Ferro-Fibrous may or may not fit.
If it's an ASSAULT mech, you'll almost always NOT put either.

Remember, the NUMBER OF CRITICAL SLOTS you have on a mech is the same whether it's a Locust or an Atlas. Fixed equipment (actuators, gyro, cockpit) may make the number of AVAILABLE critical slots differ between mechs (Locust has more free crits than Atlas because it doesn't have lower or hand actuators), but that difference is independent of the mech tonnage. So, the heavier you are, the less room for sacrificing slots for tonnage there is.

#14 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:46 PM

Upgrade from FF armor to standard armor.

Yes, upgrade.

#15 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

Wow! This is new player experience! gj!

#16 X-heketchis_V44

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:15 AM

Ah....crit slot where never covered in the tutorial...that and I thought ferro armour was an outride upgrade for all mechs

#17 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

View PostXheketchis, on 25 October 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

Ah....crit slot where never covered in the tutorial...that and I thought ferro armour was an outride upgrade for all mechs

Nope, both ferro fibrous armor and endo steel structure let you trade crit slots for tonnage. ES is better (gives more tonnage for the same amount of crit slots), so should always be installed prior to FF.

#18 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

I'm pretty sure the OP is actually referring to the modular weapon geometry on the Cat's ears, rather than dynamic structure/armor slots. He just didn't know the proper word for it.

View PostXheketchis, on 24 October 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

#19 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

View PostXheketchis, on 25 October 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

It's almost always a downgrade.

The description is extremely deceptive. You'd think that better armor would provide better protection, but all it does is provide slightly lighter armor, up to your max capacity, so if you go for max tonnage armor, you'll save like 1.5 tons on a 100 ton robot, and it has no effect on your actual defense.

Meanwhile, endo-steel on that same 100 tonner saves 5 tons straight up, and costs the same amount of crit-slots. Only certain mediums and lights can afford to run both FF and endo. Endo has become a mandatory upgrade because of how much weight you save, however.

So what I'm saying is that this game doesn't have good documentation.

#20 X-heketchis_V44

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

I did compere the two armours first time I saw them but only found the weight saving thing.

Anyway thanks for the help, I've removed the ferro armour...so much space recovered.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users