Tiny Mech Detection Quirk

7 replies to this topic

#1 C12AZyED

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

My proposal is simple:

Tiny mechs such as the Locust and Commando should have the range at which they can be detected by sensors reduced to 500 metres, as opposed to the general 800 metres for all Mechs, no matter their size.

This would enable non-ECM Light mechs to scout more effectively, enabling them to fulfill their roll in reconaissance more effectively.

Posted Image

This very reasonable Quirk will promote the diversity of light mechs, add a viable alternative to ECM scouting, and can work totally independant of any weapon or armour quirks the low tier light mechs may be receiving.

Can anyone think of a reason why this should not be implemented for Tiny (≤ 25 Tonnes) class mechs ?

#2 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

Maybe. Since they're small they would have a smaller profile on radar, making them harder to find. But sensor enhancements would make them more detectable.

#3 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

Not a bad thought, but I'd give the Locust a bigger bonus than the Commando in that respect. Commando's are reliably useful whereas Locusts' are intermittently useful.

#4 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

Seems to me it would encourage them to snipe more than it would encourage them to scout.

#5 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

How about a "Low Profile" quirk, -25 or -50% radar detection.

#6 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:04 AM

.....Bilbo, I logged in just to say this.

SNIPERS ARE SCOUTS!!!!!

Any military in the world in any point in history will tell you the same thing. In fact, scouting is the primary roll of sniper school. Relaying accurate info first, targets of opportunity second.

#7 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:35 PM

Would love to see this. Not quiet that large a quirk but heavies at 100% assults 110% meds at 90% and lights 80% would be workable.

#8 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:42 AM

This would make a lot of sense. I just came back to MWO after IGP left and I thougth I would give PGI a chance again. SO far it is very playable and i like the fixes they finally did. Gone are the days where a murder of ravens would run by with crappy hit boxes and AC20s to kill your assault mech and everyone in your team. But.. gone are also the days where a light mech is useful.

So far the best use I've seen for a light mech is as a mobile ECM unit. but.. that is not terribly fun to just run around the group disrupting missile locks.. We gotta get some use back into them. some sort of radar bonus.. lock bonus.. some way for them to keep hidden rather then seeing the enemy and now being insta legged with Clan Ultra auto cannons.

I think this is a good perk to give a light mech. Do it PGI . please?

Edited by Seph MacLeod, 26 October 2014 - 12:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users