ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostDragomir Zelenka, on 24 October 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

Not sure it's quite that bad, but I've only run a few Raven matches 3, maybe 4) and I'm at number 14. So yeah, the lower leaderboard is pretty meaningless right now.

We will see in 15 minutes. Just did a 6 kill, 4 assist, 371 damage win, in my VND-1AA. Don't think I doled out much if any friendly fire, so we'll see how it computes. Do that all weekend long I might almost have a decent score, but I doubt it. Still, fun mech is fun.....

though I sure wish I was earning more. 12 component destruction, and all that used to mean a heck of a lot more than 140k.

Round 2, only 2 kills..... but 7 assist, 621 dmg.

Loving my truly terrible Vindicator!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 24 October 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#42 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

One thing I have notices is that the people who stick with mechs that are very hard to perform in generally stick with them out of love and in the process they become very, very good with these mechs.

Also I find it pretty entertaining that the Battlemaster is the only mech so far that has broken 2000 points (as of 6:30pm EST). Isn't this a mech that everyone claims is DOA and is on the quirks list as a Tier 4?

Just goes to show that there are alot of very underrated mechs out simply because some competitive player labeled them bad without having a real clue about anything other than their almighty meta.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 24 October 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#43 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

We will see in 15 minutes. Just did a 6 kill, 4 assist, 371 damage win, in my VND-1AA. Don't think I doled out much if any friendly fire, so we'll see how it computes. Do that all weekend long I might almost have a decent score, but I doubt it. Still, fun mech is fun.....

though I sure wish I was earning more. 12 component destruction, and all that used to mean a heck of a lot more than 140k.

Round 2, only 2 kills..... but 7 assist, 621 dmg.

Loving my truly terrible Vindicator!

Were it not a Liao mech, I'd totally get one.

#44 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm pretty disappointed in the scoring metrics for this challenge to be honest.

They just implemented a wide array of new reward types, i was sincerely hoping to see 4 categories in which the different weight classes were scored differently depending on their rewards.

An example would be for Lights to get score based on Scouting, Flanking, hit and Runs etc, while Assaults would be scored based on their damage done, Protection bonuses etc.

Was sad to see such a bland Kills+Assists+Damage+Win challenge.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 24 October 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

Were it not a Liao mech, I'd totally get one.

Were it not so fun to drive, I wouldn't be using it! But I bought mine from the SIC, so no Capellan Cooties!

#46 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 24 October 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

One thing I have notices is that the people who stick with mechs that are very hard to perform in generally stick with them out of love and in the process they become very, very good with these mechs.

Also I find it pretty entertaining that the Battlemaster is the only mech so far that has broken 2000 points (as of 6:30pm EST). Isn't this a mech that everyone claims is DOA and is on the quirks list as a Tier 4?

Just goes to show that there are alot of very underrated mechs out simply because some competitive player labeled them bad without having a real clue about anything other than their almighty meta.

The battlemaster is okay in certain circumstances, but clearly subpar to, at the time, the victor and highlander. These days, the banshee performs largely the same role, at a higher tonnage, and that's not considered all that great, either.

And yes, the good players do know things other than their meta. They generally play every mech that releases, no matter how awful it happens to be.

#47 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Were it not so fun to drive, I wouldn't be using it! But I bought mine from the SIC, so no Capellan Cooties!

/unfriends

Wait, are we friends?

/friends so he can unfriend

#48 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

Looks like I will be playing a Centurion, Kit Fox and maybe my Heavy Metal. Honestly all those categories have some really bad scores considering how well those mechs generally perform for me.

My Kit Fox for example is sitting at 27 wins, 7 losses, 33 Kills, 14 Death and a 2.36 K/D rate. If I can't break at least 1800 points with that mech, I need to quit playing MWO and so far the top scorer only has like 1366 points. Should be a slam dunk win hehe.

Yeah I know it is early so I don't expect those numbers to say in the 1300-1400 range but I still expected them to be much higher when we have alot of mechs already sitting at 1600-1800+.

#49 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

Game Five.

Posted Image

I'll catch you yet.

#50 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostReitrix, on 24 October 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

I'm pretty disappointed in the scoring metrics for this challenge to be honest.

They just implemented a wide array of new reward types, i was sincerely hoping to see 4 categories in which the different weight classes were scored differently depending on their rewards.

An example would be for Lights to get score based on Scouting, Flanking, hit and Runs etc, while Assaults would be scored based on their damage done, Protection bonuses etc.

Was sad to see such a bland Kills+Assists+Damage+Win challenge.

While I get what you are saying - I think that the challenge is actually a good thing in it's current form - ideally this would be used to demonstrate which chassis are best for dealing damage... ideally those results would then be used to buff/nerf mechs which either deal too much damage or deal too little, relative to their "roles". Ideally this kind of "test" would then be applied to other challenges which give points for other "roles".

I doubt PGI will use the challenge for anything meaningful - but it'd be nice if they did. This is actionable data that they'll collect this weekend.

#51 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 24 October 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

The underlying problem with the tournaments has always been that PGI uses a ******** score formulae that encourages killing blows rather than a combination of damage done/components destroyed/etc that also factors into account things like spotting assists, tag, narc, etc.

Therefore the best way to get a high tournament score is to bring as large an alpha as you can, fire once to mark a target for the assist, then hang around and wait for your teammates to destroy the target's CT armor for you then alpha to try and get the killing shot. Of course this is very counter productive to teamplay, but people who want to win the tournament dont care that they are getting their teammates killed.

I have already seen countless situations in which teammates will rush forward to hug an enemy mech to prevent anyone else from firing on it so that he can claim the kill shot and some rather suspicious players that never seem to fire till their teammates have conveniently reduced the target to a low health for them.

Even basing the tournament score off your top 10 match scores would be far better than the current joke that encourages kill stealing and sabotaging your team.

Don't forget spraying laser fire all over your opponents' uninjured armor to jack up your damage numbers.

#52 Akaraut

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

I'm gunning for the Vindicator charts, as of writing, currently number 5 and 7 points behind number 4. Let's see how far my x2 er ppc build can go.

#53 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostAkaraut, on 24 October 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

I'm gunning for the Vindicator charts, as of writing, currently number 5 and 7 points behind number 4. Let's see how far my x2 er ppc build can go.

pretty good, since you just passed me. I'll see if I can play catch up after dinner. :)

#54 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

pretty good, since you just passed me. I'll see if I can play catch up after dinner. :)

Good luck playing at all until they can fix their servers.

#55 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 24 October 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

Good luck playing at all until they can fix their servers.

been playing just fine all afternoon til 10 minutes ago. They down again?

#56 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

I'd Creep up the leader boards more if Every time I ran into a forum goer I didn't proceed to have a terrible match. I:

Posted Image

Edited by Cavale, 24 October 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#57 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

View PostCavale, on 24 October 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

I'd Creep up the leader boards more if Every time I ran into a forum goer I didn't proceed to have a terrible match. I:

Posted Image

#58 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostCavale, on 24 October 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image
pretty dang similar scores, lol

#59 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

pretty dang similar scores, lol

Are you sure that thing isn't just a really big Locust?

Edited by Cavale, 24 October 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#60 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

I don't really have the time, but I'm so tempted to rock the Vindicator.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users