• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 25 October 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Cheesiest mech wins....

Which is usually simpler. If you look, most of the OP builds only need two, maybe three weapon groups.

View PostKjudoon, on 25 October 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

To modify a Murphy's law of combat:

"All things being equal, the side with the simplest Mech wins".

Essentially, yeah.

"All things being equal, the side with the simplest plan wins".

#42 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 25 October 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Cheesiest mech wins....

<<<Note my location. I know the power of cheese.

Edited by Kjudoon, 25 October 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#43 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:49 PM

View PostYueFei, on 24 October 2014 - 11:55 PM, said:

It's not a problem to get surrounded and then legged out.

It's more of an issue of getting legged, and *then* surrounded and having the other leg chopped because you can't rotate out after being legged. I guess you could try to have teammates cycle in front of you to protect you, but still...

For me it's an issue of diversity of gameplay choices. If the game is designed in such a way that the legs are always the best target to shoot at, that makes the pool of choices more shallow. It also nullifies one of the skills in the game, which is torso twisting to spread damage across 5 hitboxes and soak damage through destroyed hitboxes for 50% mitigation.

It doesn't happen to me often because hardly anyone ever legs HBKs, at least at my level of play. I'm not crying about an issue because it affects me personally.

If the top players in the game find that the legs are always the best target, maybe we have a problem, no? Legs should still be an interesting target, and a valid choice to hit, but it would be more fun if it wasn't the always the best idea.

I'm not asserting that things should be one way or another, but I think it should be a topic for discussion, and I think input from top players would be real valuable.

Does that mean the Quickdraw will not be Quicklegged because of JJs and arty/airstrikes anymore?

#44 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:58 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 25 October 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

Does that mean the Quickdraw will not be Quicklegged because of JJs and arty/airstrikes anymore?

Give it a leg damage reduction buff. I prefer that kind of change rather than a straight flat +hitpoint increase, because that way it still punishes people for stripping away leg armor, while rewarding those who put full armor. If every point of armor on a Quickdraw's legs is worth 1.333 hitpoints because of a 25% damage reduction, it becomes well worth it to fully armor that leg. Put 56 armor on it, and it's the equivalent of 74.666 armor. Skimp on it and put only 20 armor, and it's like you have only 26.666 armor.

Getting rid of the "stun lock" and 40kph hard limit would mean that while you still shamble along at 50% throttle, you at least have some chance of being able to rotate yourself out and try to roll away from an onrushing enemy push, instead of it being nearly 0% chance because you can't ever move.

Maybe then the decision on whether to leg or core depends on how far out of position the target is. If you think the target is so far out of cover that legging him down to 50% speed will enable you to catch him and secure the kill before he makes it into cover, then legging is the better choice. If the target is gonna make it back into cover even if you were to leg him, then maybe it makes more sense to try to blow off a shoulder. I dunno.

I want the game enriched with more viable choices depending on the situation.

#45 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:02 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 25 October 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

After playing this game for over a year, I have yet to fire a single alpha strike.

How? You've never played a Jenner and fired both arms at once? Griffin with your SRMs and lasers at the same time? Cicada with both PPCs? Raven with both lasers? Jager with both gauss/AC20/ACwhathaveyou?

You may never have pressed the alphastrike key (I haven't either), but you've definitely alphastriked by now thousands of times.

#46 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:22 AM

View PostTarogato, on 26 October 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

How? You've never played a Jenner and fired both arms at once? Griffin with your SRMs and lasers at the same time? Cicada with both PPCs? Raven with both lasers? Jager with both gauss/AC20/ACwhathaveyou?

You may never have pressed the alphastrike key (I haven't either), but you've definitely alphastriked by now thousands of times.

Simple. I almost never run single weapon type mechs and with one exception, I always had a secondary weapon system I don't fire with my primary. But never one push everything fires. With the exception of the Raven, I never ran the builds and loadouts you have mentioned. Even my CPLT had mixed loadouts between LRMs/SRMs. My Griffins are all LRM builds with energy backup. Even my Jenners pack LRMs.

Therefore I've never done an Alpha strike to my knowledge.

#47 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 26 October 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even my Jenners pack LRMs.

:huh:

Although, even if my Jenner had LRMs I'd probably still be alpha striking often. If a target is 180m out and you have the heat for it, there is no real reason not to fire both your lasers and LRMs at once.

I spent a few hours running a PPC+SRM build for the hell of it, and I spent most of the time alpha striking.

Edited by Krivvan, 26 October 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#48 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:50 AM

View PostKrivvan, on 26 October 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

I spent a few hours running a PPC+SRM build for the hell of it, and I spent most of the time alpha striking.

Is there any part of that jenner left that isn't cooked to molten metal? haha :P

#49 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostTarogato, on 26 October 2014 - 01:50 AM, said:

Is there any part of that jenner left that isn't cooked to molten metal? haha :P

The heat was fine. A single ER PPC isn't going to overheat a whole Jenner. The heat is actually worse with a standard 6 ML build.

#50 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

Here's an idea--remove legging as a kill. You can shoot both legs out and make him a turret, but you still have to core to get the kill.

#51 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 26 October 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

Here's an idea--remove legging as a kill. You can shoot both legs out and make him a turret, but you still have to core to get the kill.

Whoa, you did not go there... Urbanmechs everywhere!

Edited by Chavette, 26 October 2014 - 05:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users