Is The Comp Metagame All About Ppfld

50 replies to this topic

#1 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

I'm guesing the comp metagame revolves around stacking the repeatable alpha as high as possible. Is that accurate?

#2 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:10 PM

That was the case but we are seeing more and more laser vomit builds as PPCs are much worse than they used to be due to the nerfed projectile speed.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

when HASN'T the meta ben pp-fld? Only reason we got a respite is Clans are terrible at it. And most top comps are running clans it seems.

#4 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

PPCs were rendered pretty ineffective with the last 'balance pass.' The elite pro mega overlords currently favor stacked clan lasers, for overwhelming legging potential.

#5 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

I figured brawling was the new meta since SRMs are doing pretty good right now.

Maps are too small for sniping if one team just rushes the other. The attacking team will lose a mech or two on the push, but once in close quarters I would take a med laser/srm brawler over a gauss/ppc/ac PPFLD build any day.

Kinda rock paper scissors, but in this case if brawlers are rock, snipers are paper, and lrms are scissors,

Rock gets beat by both paper and scissors if it doesn't push, but can beat either if it does.

Paper beats rock or scissors if paper pushes the lrm boats or if rock doesn't push.

Scissors only beats paper or rock if neither of them push. (this is why lrms are working in lower elo and not as much in higher)

#6 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

I think you just have to get lucky and get a good game

like a DW/or atlas that just stands there while you pump lead into them

same with clan lasers if they can get a few burns into you that's it pop

so keep moving everyone

#7 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

It used to be ppfld but I think since the PPC speed nerf a major component of that has been rendered less effective. I'm not sure if the meta has settled but it was looking like ER LL were really good even before the Clans stuff was becoming available for competitive play. So I would expect to see more lasers and gauss, jump jets will still be good for maneuvering and wonky jump animations.

#8 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

Most consistent meta I've seen work so far is the dual gauss dakkawolf and CheeseRM Godcrows. Rest is pretty random mix of "stuff". Even Timbergods are doing pretty average.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 24 October 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

PPCs were rendered pretty ineffective with the last 'balance pass.' The elite pro mega overlords currently favor stacked clan lasers, for overwhelming legging potential.

Only teaching us that our thresholds are too high.

:P

#10 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

By and large it's tons of lasers and legging, "drumsticking."

It was PPFLD until the PPC, the worst offender, was slowed down; PPFLD is only good if the damage goes where you want it, and with the PPC so slow it doesn't put damage on the right component (or even on the mech) nearly as often.

So the next best thing for dealing damage accurately is lasers, which are hitscan and by nature put the damage where your crosshairs are; however, the counter for that is torso twisting, which spreads the damage by changing what is under the crosshair.

The answer to that is to go for the legs, which can be hit from any angle, and are very difficult to miss with lasers. Even if you miss the leg you were going for, you'll probably hit the other one, which still helps getting kills; and if you don't finish off your target, a legged target is still easy prey.

#11 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

So super advanced MWO comp play is MW2 legging?

#12 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

You can hit the leg from the front or the back. Your goal is to get both legs anyway so if you twist by turning to protect one leg they won't mind but it'll delay the inevitable for a little while longer.

#13 Hoax415

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

Yeah without useful PPC's its either legging or sometimes massed gauss seemingly in terms of the hyper organized 12-man teams. No idea what they are doing in comp setups atm. That scene is so dead I'm not sure they have a fully developed metagame.

Edited by Hoax415, 24 October 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#14 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

View Postaniviron, on 24 October 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

By and large it's tons of lasers and legging, "drumsticking."

It was PPFLD until the PPC, the worst offender, was slowed down; PPFLD is only good if the damage goes where you want it, and with the PPC so slow it doesn't put damage on the right component (or even on the mech) nearly as often.

So the next best thing for dealing damage accurately is lasers, which are hitscan and by nature put the damage where your crosshairs are; however, the counter for that is torso twisting, which spreads the damage by changing what is under the crosshair.

The answer to that is to go for the legs, which can be hit from any angle, and are very difficult to miss with lasers. Even if you miss the leg you were going for, you'll probably hit the other one, which still helps getting kills; and if you don't finish off your target, a legged target is still easy prey.

This probably hurts brawlers the most, since they must close in to be effective, and it's hard to conceal your legs when up close.

Longer-ranged mechs can often use terrain to mask their legs.

Maybe they should undo the legged movement mechanics that they introduced (slowed to 15kph upon any damage received, 40kph max). Go back to the original mechanics, no slow down on being hit, 50% throttle.

#15 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostYueFei, on 24 October 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

This probably hurts brawlers the most, since they must close in to be effective, and it's hard to conceal your legs when up close.

Longer-ranged mechs can often use terrain to mask their legs.

Maybe they should undo the legged movement mechanics that they introduced (slowed to 15kph upon any damage received, 40kph max). Go back to the original mechanics, no slow down on being hit, 50% throttle.

HSR is good enough that 70 Kph lights are fair game, also makes them less suicidal.

#16 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

This constant talk of PPC's being trash is beginning to nauseate me.

I run a timber wolf with 2 ERPPCs, 2SRM4 and an SRM6. Past few nights I've been absolutely wreaking havoc in the group queue.

#17 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostYueFei, on 24 October 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

What, remove stunlock mechanics?

What game do you think you're playing?

:P

#18 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

Fun fact: Most competitive builds are actually built around laser vomiting (particularly the Clan variety) and SRMs, with some AC/20 + ERLL + Gauss thrown in on the side. People need to catch up that the meta is no longer 2 PPC + 2 AC/5. That ship has already sailed.

#19 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:52 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 24 October 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Most consistent meta I've seen work so far is the dual gauss dakkawolf and CheeseRM Godcrows. Rest is pretty random mix of "stuff". Even Timbergods are doing pretty average.

Who are you, and what have you done with lockwoodx?!

#20 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 24 October 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

So super advanced MWO comp play is MW2 legging?

Yes, pretty much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users