112 replies to this topic

#1 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

First two times, fighting other mechs with 90%+hp
Second, rounded a corner, no one was there so I turned back around to go the direction I came from....Took gauss to the ST and rear CT.

This game is really turning into a bore fest with everyone running the same DWF and TBR's. Im tired of feeling like I have to run Heavies or Assaults just for the armor in-case someone gets the angle on me. I'll guess I will wait a few months and come back to see if the game is entertaining again.

I really miss the jump sniping days..

Mogs

Edited by mogs01gt, 27 October 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#2 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 24 October 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

First two times, fighting other mechs with 90%+hp
Second, rounded a corner, no one was there so I turned back around to go the direction I came from....Took gauss to the ST and rear CT.

This game is really turning into a bore fest with everyone running the same DWF and TBR's. Im tired of feeling like I have to run Heavies or Assaults just for the armor in-case someone gets the angle on me. I'll guess I will wait a few months and come back to see if the game is entertaining again.

Mogs

Mogs

Found your problem.

<S>

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

#3 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

Getting three shot is pretty reasonable....Keep moving? Twist more? I have some bad days too to be honest, but generally I do ok staying alive even in IS XL heavies.

#4 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

To elaborate a little further. I've recently been running my Locusts up to Elite (all 3 Phoenix variants).

I run XL's in all three because at 20 tons every half ton counts. Some days I'm quite literally the bug on a windshield. I've been one shot killed before from over 800 meters away, (was a helluva shot too, whoever did it) but regardless, sometimes you're the bug (Locust jokes, never gets old) other days you're the windshield. If you die fast chalk it up to bad luck or positioning, learn from it and keep dropping. As Cerlin said, stay on the move, twist more if you see enemy 'mechs to spread the damage across multiple sections of your armor, and try to never stop moving.

Hope these suggestions help.

<S>

Edited by HAV0C, 24 October 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

Maybe TTK needs to be increased again.

The whole mega-alpha might not be as big an issue for heavy+ pilots, but for mediums and lights, it sucks. Being effectively removed from a fight in one shot is not my definition of fun. It forces anyone but the most masochistic of players into the higher weight ranges.

More experienced pilots seem to be able to cope with it better, but newer players have a pretty brutal training day ahead of them the first time they fall under the guns of any metawolf.

#6 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

So you don't like being 3 shot with guass, and miss the days you could poptart up and 3 shot other people without fear of return fire?

You dislike seeing just tbrs and dwfs, but miss the days of seeing just victors and cataphracts?

Good troll sir, good troll indeed.

Ps: becuase noone else seems to have noticed, you can poptart with a 3d again if you use 2ppc and ac10 and 3+jj's, not as good as the old way but pretty close.

Edited by zortesh, 24 October 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#7 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

you don't say...

Kilo 40

#8 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

The time to kill with lights is too low at the moment after the hitreg fix. There is no incentive to run lights when a fast medium with more armor and weapons can do the same tasks and earn the same rewards, all while being more competive.

Lights will hopefully get some serious buffs come November 4th.

Edited by Greenjulius, 24 October 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#9 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8

#10 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

gauss and advanced zoom might be your problem!

#11 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 24 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

The whole mega-alpha might not be as big an issue for heavy+ pilots, but for mediums and lights, it sucks. Being effectively removed from a fight in one shot is not my definition of fun. It forces anyone but the most masochistic of players into the higher weight ranges.

This is why I've been saying dual gauss needs to be taken care of. It's the worst offender right now.

#12 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Da fuq. 1 SHOOTED... how the hell did a 3 get in there...

I'd rather go up against victors any day of the week over DWF.

Edited by mogs01gt, 24 October 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#13 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image

And I guess another when you come back

#14 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:28 PM

My best so far is getting headshot killed by arty 4 games in a row in a Dire Wolf

View PostFelio, on 24 October 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

This is why I've been saying dual gauss needs to be taken care of. It's the worst offender right now.

lol its been the "worst offender" for the lifetime of the game.

#15 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

View PostFelio, on 24 October 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

Maybe then, some more changes could be made to the whole firing desynch mechanic.

Perhaps, if you use dual Gauss, the large power drain of firing two could prevent any other weapons from firing at all while the Gauss is recharging.

#16 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

I've always been of the opinion that Gauss Rifles should fire like an autocannon (No charge up, pull the trigger and it fires) but that if you have more than one Gauss Rifle equipped it would only ever keep one charged up at any one time. Limit it to being able to fire one of two at any given moment (as charging two of them requires too much strain on the 'mechs reactor while keeping all other weapons functioning)

If you're going to keep the charge-up mechanic, then the only time the Gauss Rifle should explode (like an ammo explosion explode) when critically hit is if it suffers said critical hit while it is being charged or is fully charged prior to the shot being fired. If a Gauss Rifle takes damage/is disabled while not in use/not being charged up to fire, it should not detonate as the capacitors that make the weapon fire are not filled with energy, and the weapon should simply be disabled/destroyed without any explosion damage.

If you're going to keep the exploding Gauss Rifle when critically hit mechanic, make it so that the capacitors are always full and readily charged and you can fire the weapon instantly with the pull of a trigger. Otherwise don't penalize the weapon unless it takes a critical hit while the capacitors are charging or fully charged prior to the firing of the weapon.

Lastly, with the charge mechanic in place, I do think that having only one Gauss rifle able to be charged at any one point is a fair way to make the weapon unique and keep 'mechs able to mount 2+ of the weapon from being over the top powerful. It would also lend itself nicely to making larger bore autocannons more appealing as they're able to be fired together versus having to stagger fire one Gauss Rifle at a time with the charge up mechanic.

Just my thoughts on that. <S>

#17 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

View Postzortesh, on 24 October 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

Ps: becuase noone else seems to have noticed, you can poptart with a 3d again if you use 2ppc and ac10 and 3+jj's, not as good as the old way but pretty close.

I believe the PPCs and AC10 will be desynced by the new Quirks for the CTF-3D. :ph34r:

#18 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

I'm at the point now that I think they should explore item limits, like we have with Targeting Computers and JJ. You can put a gauss rifle at any ballistic hardpoint with space, but you only get one.

No convoluted system interacting with itself and other weaponry or mechanics, no confusion, nobody finding a way to game the system. Just boom, done.

Then follow the data to see how gauss usage changes and see what else, if anything, needs to be done. But the hemorrhaging wound is the dual gauss. You know you are going to need to use a tourniquet, so don't waste any time. The surgeons can clean it up later.

Edited by Felio, 24 October 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#19 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:08 PM

View PostFelio, on 24 October 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

I'm at the point now that I think they should explore item limits, like we have with Targeting Computers and JJ. You can put a gauss rifle at any ballistic hardpoint with space, but you only get one.

No convoluted system interacting with itself and other weaponry or mechanics, no confusion, nobody finding a way to game the system. Just boom, done.

Then follow the data to see how gauss usage changes and see what else, if anything, needs to be done. But the hemorrhaging wound is the dual gauss. You know you are going to need to use a tourniquet, so don't waste any time. The surgeons can clean it up later.

Twin gauss rifles is a legitimate config (see MadcatMkII Prime) .....Just like twin ac20s are (see: KingCrab). That would never get implemented. And you really cant much nerf gauss rifles any more than they already are. even with the best padding the slightest critical hit and they explode.

#20 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

Just imagine how they'll perform after the quirk pass. Especially since some people got their way and now the quirks affect all weapons of the same type ;p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users