I really miss the jump sniping days..

Get out.

#22 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:14 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 24 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Maybe TTK needs to be increased again.

The whole mega-alpha might not be as big an issue for heavy+ pilots, but for mediums and lights, it sucks. Being effectively removed from a fight in one shot is not my definition of fun. It forces anyone but the most masochistic of players into the higher weight ranges.

More experienced pilots seem to be able to cope with it better, but newer players have a pretty brutal training day ahead of them the first time they fall under the guns of any metawolf.

Cuz really, besides jsut run away and let them win, what are you going to do against a meta wolf that turns the corner and blows your ass off in 1 shot? Really...I dont get why people think "one shot" stuff is "skill" or somehow your supposed to L2P....there is nothing you can do against a PPC Gauss Whale.....you show ur face, he shoots it off...its really simple. Sure, you can try to flank it, you can w/e...but in actuality and in most common practice, hes going to jsut murder you...same with the Direstar.......if he chooses you as his victim...your dead, game over, nothing learned, nothing really to learn...other then..thats a bullshit build...

As for how to solve it, I wouldnt triple armor now....instead, make it where PPC/GR cant even be group or pair fired.....single fire them only. Maybe set a Group fire limit on weapons. maybe ******, but it would help solve high ass alpha a bit. More Ghost heat is not the answer for sure....

1 GR
1 ER PPC
1 PPC
2 LL
4 ML
6 SL

And similar treatment for Pulses.

1Ac20
2AC10
4AC5
5AC2

LRMs. idk......

Then, maybe set a delay between firing weapon groups, maybe a second or so.....then macros cant really get around it....cuz you have a full second before you can fire again regardless....

Idk, it would prolly cause a mountain more issues...but meh....

#23 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

View PostFelio, on 24 October 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

I'm at the point now that I think they should explore item limits, like we have with Targeting Computers and JJ. You can put a gauss rifle at any ballistic hardpoint with space, but you only get one.

No convoluted system interacting with itself and other weaponry or mechanics, no confusion, nobody finding a way to game the system. Just boom, done.

Then follow the data to see how gauss usage changes and see what else, if anything, needs to be done. But the hemorrhaging wound is the dual gauss. You know you are going to need to use a tourniquet, so don't waste any time. The surgeons can clean it up later.

Lore Gausszilla says HAI

Sorry, but weapons should never have item limits. Is it ridiculous? Yes. Can it be countered? Absolutely. Unlike poptarting, this kind of sniping can be countered on an individual level, while you needed practically a full lance to be very coordinated, just to counter 2 poptarters.

#24 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

I agree that people should be able to mount more than one Gauss Rifle on a Chassis that can support the weapon in more than one hardpoint location.

I'd just like to see the ability to fire more than one Gauss at a time removed is all. You want to run a pair of Gauss? Fine, Chain fire them like a boss because charging two at once is more than a 'Mech reactor can handle while providing power to the rest of the 'mech's systems at the same time.

Wouldn't be a nerf, just a tweak in the operation of how they work and would prevent instagibbing light 'mechs at extreme range.

<S> See you guys dirtside

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

#25 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostHAV0C, on 24 October 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

To elaborate a little further. I've recently been running my Locusts up to Elite (all 3 Phoenix variants).

Let me guess. You poke around a corner. A corner commonly traveled that most mechs probably have their guns sighted in on. You pop out, stand there for a little bit to look around, and give the other team's snipers time to line up a good shot.

Then you die instantly, and come here to complain.

Be honest. Am I close?

#26 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostHAV0C, on 24 October 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

I agree that people should be able to mount more than one Gauss Rifle on a Chassis that can support the weapon in more than one hardpoint location.

I'd just like to see the ability to fire more than one Gauss at a time removed is all. You want to run a pair of Gauss? Fine, Chain fire them like a boss because charging two at once is more than a 'Mech reactor can handle while providing power to the rest of the 'mech's systems at the same time.

Wouldn't be a nerf, just a tweak in the operation of how they work and would prevent instagibbing light 'mechs at extreme range.

<S> See you guys dirtside

Or, you CAN fire two, but you can't fire anything else at all while dual Gauss is charging, or recharging. That's 0.75 seconds of charge time, plus up to 1.25 seconds of holding the charge, plus 4 seconds of cooldown (slightly less with modules). This gives you a Gauss window with a minimum of 4.75 seconds and maximum of 6 seconds where the only weapons that can be fired are Gauss.

This means that mechs using it as a primary weapon system (like the GaussYager) will be using only DG, whereas mechs like the GaussWhale will have to choose between firing their non-Gauss first, then potentially missing the DG shot, or firing the DG first and then twiddling their thumbs while they wait for other weapons to become available.

No more whale DG + bajillion point Laser, PPC or Dakka strikes as a coup de grâce.

#27 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostAresye, on 24 October 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

Let me guess. You poke around a corner. A corner commonly traveled that most mechs probably have their guns sighted in on. You pop out, stand there for a little bit to look around, and give the other team's snipers time to line up a good shot.

Then you die instantly, and come here to complain.

Be honest. Am I close?

Um. No. You're not even in the same continent.

I never stop moving, stay with other lights or larger 'mechs and help harass and flank larger targets, or chase down other lights in the furball. I'm 20 tons, I don't stop or slow down unless I inadvertently run into something, am trying to turn sharp (at which point I don't slow down much) or I lose a leg.

At what point in the reply you oh-so-conveniently only quoted one small part of did it sound like I was complaining, at all?

I take the role of light 'mech to heart and I scout, look for targets, try to lock them up and/or tag them for LRM's, take the path less traveled to try and avoid running into one or more larger 'mechs and if I do, I beat feet the other way unless it's a furball, at which point I scout and harass, looking for the more wounded targets to try and help finish them off so the big guys can move on to the next target and finish the match, and I try and cover cap points and keep my team in the lead on Conquest mode (which I enjoy a lot more in a light 'mech).

I die more than I do in my larger 'mechs, sure, but I've only ever been one-shot-killed once, and again I gave credit where credit is due. The guy who killed me on that conquest match made one helluva shot with dual gauss to my side torso while I was running perpendicular to him. I don't complain, I get kills in my Locust too, and lots of assists. It's the nature of running a 20 ton 'mech. You can't take much of a hit at all before you start looking for cover and skirting the flanks should be your standard mode of operation.

I run the largest or close to the largest XL engine my Locusts can mount. My speed on all three is in excess of 150 to 165 kph depending on the variant. If I stop moving, it's to hide behind cover while LRM's are inbound, or because I got too over-eager with my 5x medium laser build and shut myself down on accident before I could override the shutdown.

All that said, please keep posting drivel like that and keep proving you're a pretentious douchebag Clanner. I'll also ask again, in closing, where exactly in this thread did I utter one word of complaint about piloting my Locusts? I'm genuinely curious for you to point it out. I'll even promise you I won't edit any of my posts beyond the second or third one I've already edited to correct a spelling mistake. So please, go ahead.

I'll be waiting.

<S>

#28 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 24 October 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

Or, you CAN fire two, but you can't fire anything else at all while dual Gauss is charging, or recharging. That's 0.75 seconds of charge time, plus up to 1.25 seconds of holding the charge, plus 4 seconds of cooldown (slightly less with modules). This gives you a Gauss window with a minimum of 4.75 seconds and maximum of 6 seconds where the only weapons that can be fired are Gauss.

This means that mechs using it as a primary weapon system (like the GaussYager) will be using only DG, whereas mechs like the GaussWhale will have to choose between firing their non-Gauss first, then potentially missing the DG shot, or firing the DG first and then twiddling their thumbs while they wait for other weapons to become available.

No more whale DG + bajillion point Laser, PPC or Dakka strikes as a coup de grâce.

I like the thought process, Kiiyor, but I think that's actually too much of a ding against the 'mechs that can mount a pair of Gauss rifles honestly. Preventing all weapons from firing is a little bit too extreme. Perhaps only preventing energy weapons from firing would be more fitting, however that does nothing to deal with a dual Gauss rifle shot followed by an autocannon or missile barrage afterward (which can be just as much, if not more devastating).

By setting it so only one Gauss can charge at a time (as currently no more than a pair of Gauss Rifles can charge, just change it from two to only one), it allows people to run the configuration they like and keep other weapons at the ready to fire, but prevents a 30 damage pinpoint shot on a single location that can effectively drop or severely cripple most Light 'mechs. Any competent Gauss sniper will still be deadly with a pair of Gauss, they'll just have to fire one at a time and make sure their shot placement is on point.

Just my thoughts on that. Thanks for reading.

<S>

#29 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

Edit: All cleared up, case of mistaken identity. No harm, no foul.

<S>

Edited by HAV0C, 24 October 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#30 Martin Oberhofer

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:21 PM

I realized that the hitreg changed - yes
I play 90% lights mostly Jenners
do I feel the need to bring a heavier Class to survive -> yes the trend is surely showing

but even Yesterday night(GMT) weekend and so on, out of 10 Games I had in everyone at least 1 Kill and several assists
I got even a 900+ DMG run, with a average on 10 games of >400DMG

#31 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:22 PM

Unfortunately, this was simply a case of me being a little buzzed from quite too many drinks, and mistaking you for the OP in the later reply. Sorry about that.

You see that kids? Don't drink and post.

Edited by Aresye, 24 October 2014 - 10:35 PM.

#32 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:28 PM

Exactly, Martin. It's not impossible to play Lights, but it's certainly tough in some scenarios. I routinely get over 250 to 300 damage in my Locusts, especially when playing the 5x Medium laser variant I run and flanking/harassing larger 'mechs. Most matches I get at least 5 to 6 assists and the occasional kill or two. (Personal best is 4 kills, I've done it twice in two of my three variants.)

Of course there are matches I'm just destined to die before I even break 100 damage, but I chalk that up to bad decision making on my part or just plain 'ol bad luck, or both. I've had sub 100 damage in assault 'mechs just like in a light 'mech. Others I do over 500 damage and get 3+ kills and 6+ assists. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

It's all a matter of not giving up, and learning from when you screw up.

That's all I've got to add. Take it easy for now <S>

#33 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:32 PM

View PostAresye, on 24 October 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

An awfully long reply. Well thought out. Unfortunately, this was simply a case of me being a little buzzed from quite too many drinks, and mistaking you for the OP in the later reply. Sorry about that.

You see that kids? Don't drink and post.

No harm, no foul, sir. <S>

Thanks for the clarification, water under the bridge.

Take it easy, and yes, please don't drink and post, or drive either. That'll get ya arrested! (I know, I've arrested people for it!)

P.S. Don't mind my reply above Aresye, I'll edit it now.

#34 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 24 October 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

First two times, fighting other mechs with 90%+hp
Second, rounded a corner, no one was there so I turned back around to go the direction I came from....Took gauss to the ST and rear CT.

This game is really turning into a bore fest with everyone running the same DWF and TBR's. Im tired of feeling like I have to run Heavies or Assaults just for the armor in-case someone gets the angle on me. I'll guess I will wait a few months and come back to see if the game is entertaining again.

Mogs

Huh?! What are you crying about? Mediums are the most used mechs these last few days. But then all this crying is really par for the course for you, especially all the exaggeration.

Edited by Mystere, 24 October 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#35 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 24 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Maybe TTK needs to be increased again.

The whole mega-alpha might not be as big an issue for heavy+ pilots, but for mediums and lights, it sucks. Being effectively removed from a fight in one shot is not my definition of fun. It forces anyone but the most masochistic of players into the higher weight ranges.

More experienced pilots seem to be able to cope with it better, but newer players have a pretty brutal training day ahead of them the first time they fall under the guns of any metawolf.

They could increase time to kill by turning alpha strikes into true last ditch OH GOD IM GONNA DIE ANYWAYS MAY AS WELL GO IN A BLAZE OF GLORY kind of buttons.

The game in its current form favors packing in as many large weapons as possible, then firing as many of them in one shot as ghost heat allows.

Chain Fire is the answer to Time to Kill issues. Force it upon us, put limitations on alpha strikes, limit how many weapons can be fired in a single weapon group.
There are things they can do to fix the problem, but i doubt strongly that the community is willing to accept anything other "SHOOT ALL THE GUNS ALL THE TIME"
Forced chainfire would also allow us to get rid of ghost heat ......

#36 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostReitrix, on 24 October 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

They could increase time to kill by turning alpha strikes into true last ditch OH GOD IM GONNA DIE ANYWAYS MAY AS WELL GO IN A BLAZE OF GLORY kind of buttons.

The game in its current form favors packing in as many large weapons as possible, then firing as many of them in one shot as ghost heat allows.

Chain Fire is the answer to Time to Kill issues. Force it upon us, put limitations on alpha strikes, limit how many weapons can be fired in a single weapon group.
There are things they can do to fix the problem, but i doubt strongly that the community is willing to accept anything other "SHOOT ALL THE GUNS ALL THE TIME"
Forced chainfire would also allow us to get rid of ghost heat ......

I simply put half my weapons on the LMB and the other half on my RMB and click them both with quick succession.... same effect as alpha strike, still one shots any medium and light and still avoids ghost heat.

#37 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 24 October 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

First two times, fighting other mechs with 90%+hp
Second, rounded a corner, no one was there so I turned back around to go the direction I came from....Took gauss to the ST and rear CT.

This game is really turning into a bore fest with everyone running the same DWF and TBR's. Im tired of feeling like I have to run Heavies or Assaults just for the armor in-case someone gets the angle on me. I'll guess I will wait a few months and come back to see if the game is entertaining again.

Mogs

Probably would help if the gauss didn't magically pass through the front and blow out the rear torso but it happens. Gauss is the real threat on the battlefield at least for fast moving mechs.

#38 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:47 PM

Thats ok I was moving at 83 kph and passed across a space no wider than a mech and took a gauss to the right torso and down. He had to been charging before he seen me. Now thats a good shot. Some amazing targeting going on.

BTW that gauss shot to my right torso had to have been seen by others since we were the last two on both teams. Also he was about 700 or 800 meters away.

I should also mention that it was a legged DW that made the shot and that if he didnt we could have won by capping their base.

Edited by Johnny Z, 24 October 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#39 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

View PostPr8Dator, on 24 October 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

I simply put half my weapons on the LMB and the other half on my RMB and click them both with quick succession.... same effect as alpha strike, still one shots any medium and light and still avoids ghost heat.

Except .. with forced chainfire active, you would fire one weapon from each group .. unless you only had 2 guns on your 'mech, thats hardly an alpha.

If you've enough guns on your mech to one shot a medium, forced chainfire would mean you need to individually place each shot. if you stacked all the guns into one weapon group, you'd still be chain firing within that weapon group.

An example of a penalty for alpha striking could be a shutdown for a certain period (Based on the number of weapons fired simultaneously) or the inability to shoot any weapon again for a certain period.

#40 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:00 PM

OK first off a small nitpick.... Being 1-shotted is literally going from full health to dead. So the OP´s first example was not really getting 1-shotted.

Secondly it happens... Heck it could happen to an Atlas with a good enough shooter. But it is very rare, most of the time people claim to be 1-S they have either taken damage previously or are driving a light mech. Light mechs simply learn to live with this. All it takes i one second of foolhardy bravery and... splat...

Now i am not saying high pin-point alphas are not a problem... But they are one heck of a lot less of a problem when they used to be. Also if you keep getting killed by having your rear torso blown to kingdom come... Perhaps try to put some of that armour you stripped off back... Unless you are a hunchback... then it is poinless. =P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users