Just Got 1 Shoted 3 Times In A Row...

112 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:31 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 24 October 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

First two times, fighting other mechs with 90%+hp
Second, rounded a corner, no one was there so I turned back around to go the direction I came from....Took gauss to the ST and rear CT.

This game is really turning into a bore fest with everyone running the same DWF and TBR's. Im tired of feeling like I have to run Heavies or Assaults just for the armor in-case someone gets the angle on me. I'll guess I will wait a few months and come back to see if the game is entertaining again.

I really miss the jump sniping days..

Mogs

Then you are giving them the chance.

#42 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:43 PM

I do like the the thought, and logic behind the thought of the more you tax a battlemech's fusion reactor by firing weapons (Especially energy weapons) the hotter it makes you run. I've always thought of this as the explanation behind ghost heat, and is also the reason why I don't think ghost heat is a problem personally.

That said, having a penalty in place to help prevent high damage alpha strikes would be helpful. I've made my thoughts known on how to go about preventing paired Gauss rifle strikes from happening earlier in the tread here, and feel they are the 'worst'offender.

Ghost heat is an effective method of preventing high damage alphas with other weapon systems. You can meet or exceed 30 damage with other weapons, but most need other factors to be present and there are drawbacks. These include: short optimal range and high tonnage with larger AC's and low damage per shot/damage spread on smaller caliber AC's, lock & travel time + damage spread with LRM's, short range & damage spread with SRM's, heat and burn/beam time on lasers causing damage spread, and PPC heat plus slower projectile travel time. Ghost heat helps prevent high volumes of fire for all the above weapons while coupled with their own individual drawbacks effectively while still allowing people who want to run them in large quantities to do so.

Gauss is the one albatross left, as it has the drawback of high weight, being ammo dependent, and the dubious drawback of charge time (which can be macro enhanced with little effort). Being able to only fire one at a time would help bring Gauss into line with the other weapon systems available in MWO in my view.

Just offering my thoughts. <S>

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

#43 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:20 AM

I remember my leg flying off instantly from a dual gauss jager shot..and I'm honestly not even sure how. Mad Dog, leg had orange armor, heard the sound of gauss, and it was gone instantly. Though there was a PPC too, but I think it wizzed between my leg. Crit, I guess?

#44 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

View PostWalluh, on 25 October 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

I remember my leg flying off instantly from a dual gauss jager shot..and I'm honestly not even sure how. Mad Dog, leg had orange armor, heard the sound of gauss, and it was gone instantly. Though there was a PPC too, but I think it wizzed between my leg. Crit, I guess?

I imagine there was something else in play that did damage simultaneous with the paired Gauss rounds, as MWO doesn't have through-armor critical hits like Classic Battletech tabletop.

Not sure, but I've had desynchs happen that cause issues and result in random damage that happened seconds before appearing suddenly despite not hearing/seeing the damage occur.

Doesn't happen often thank goodness.

<S> Hope that's a one time incident for you

#45 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:43 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 24 October 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

OK first off a small nitpick.... Being 1-shotted is literally going from full health to dead. So the OP´s first example was not really

Just happened to me less than an hour ago. Took a dual-AC20 shot straight to the cockpit less than 2min into the game, while at near full health (97%). Oh well. Happens.

Another thing people don't think about is focus fire, where when you have good players on your team sticking together, chances are they have similar reaction times, so what may seem like a 1-shot is really 3-4 mechs all shooting you at once.

#46 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:10 AM

View PostCerlin, on 24 October 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

Getting three shot is pretty reasonable....Keep moving? Twist more? I have some bad days too to be honest, but generally I do ok staying alive even in IS XL heavies.

I believe he meant he was one-shot-killed 3 times in a row.

#47 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:16 AM

Second, rounded a corner, no one was there so I turned back around to go the direction I came from....Took gauss to the ST and rear CT.

This game is really turning into a bore fest with everyone running the same DWF and TBR's. Im tired of feeling like I have to run Heavies or Assaults just for the armor in-case someone gets the angle on me. I'll guess I will wait a few months and come back to see if the game is entertaining again.

Mogs

What are you driving Mogs? TTK is dependent on how much you move and how much armor you have. If you are small then speed is your friend and the enemies heavy guns... are not.

Yesterday I got surprised when I was fresh one minute(Atlas-S) and the next I had internal damage on my left torso! That does not happen all the time, I wasn't mad but yeah I was surprised.

#48 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:58 AM

Anyone who misses poptarting probably wouldn't be able to actually fight their way out of a paper bag with directions drawn on the inside of the bag.

Not that good gunnery isn't important, it most certainly is, but being able to move & maneuver while you're shooting is quite important.

Most (Not all, though) poptarts I've seen have a definitive lack of situation awareness, and ability to operate doing more than one or two things at once effectively. Not saying the OP is one of these individuals, but it seems likely.

If nothing else, the thread has fostered some good discussion on weapons balance at least.

<S> Take it easy for now.

Edited by HAV0C, 25 October 2014 - 01:58 AM.

#49 Pericles

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • 35 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol Star System

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:08 AM

If you where in a light, something tells me that you stood still in front of an Assault or Heavy, That is generally a bad idea. I've done it before and now I avoid doing it. Still happens from time to time though.

I also have ZERO sympathy for people who miss the pop-tart days... <_<

Edited by Pericles, 25 October 2014 - 02:09 AM.

#50 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 24 October 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

Twin gauss rifles is a legitimate config (see MadcatMkII Prime) .....Just like twin ac20s are (see: KingCrab).

This is my care face. :mellow:

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 October 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

Lore Gausszilla says HAI

Sorry, but weapons should never have item limits. Is it ridiculous? Yes. Can it be countered? Absolutely.

No, it can't be countered. You can't always know where everyone is, you just can't. One hit is too many, and everyone gets hit. And in the case of sniping, the first shot is often a freebie.

View PostJohnny Reb, on 24 October 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Then you are giving them the chance.

Right, if only he had stayed at the base or something, none of this would happen. How dare he... I dunno... walk. :rolleyes:

#51 Lhaim

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

Cant wait to see TTK drop even further Nov.4th...

#52 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

Mogs

A single gauss did not 1 shot you. Don't troll. It's not possible, even on a locust.

#53 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

View PostFelio, on 25 October 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

No, it can't be countered. You can't always know where everyone is, you just can't. One hit is too many, and everyone gets hit. And in the case of sniping, the first shot is often a freebie.

It's a video game about giant robot combat.

You're not supposed to always know where everyone is, and you are not supposed to always survive and win and sometimes the sniper gets the drop on you.

Do you come complain when you get the drop on the sniper and SRM blast through one of his sides in seconds or a light gets behind a Dire Wolf and opens his back up?

Crap happens, mechs blow up. That's the game.

#54 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostDirkdaring, on 25 October 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

A single gauss did not 1 shot you. Don't troll. It's not possible, even on a locust.

You absolutely can get killed in a locust by a single gauss round. As alluded to in my previous posts, the round can pass through the front and blow out the back. On a locust if that is CT, RT, or LT you are dead. Even if you don't die, a single round hitting is not good and just forget about dual gauss. If a dual gauss just looks at you you will explode.

#55 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostMystere, on 24 October 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

Huh?! What are you crying about? Mediums are the most used mechs these last few days. But then all this crying is really par for the course for you, especially all the exaggeration.

You actually think that who's playing BS is real? My matches average 5 assaults and like 3 more heavies.

The game is simply getting dull with all the lets just stand here and take shots at each other in these slow ass mechs. There is simply too much tonnage for the tiny maps we have....Plus ******* multi-gauss hits.

View PostDirkdaring, on 25 October 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

never said it was a single gauss.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 25 October 2014 - 01:16 AM, said:

What are you driving Mogs? TTK is dependent on how much you move and how much armor you have. If you are small then speed is your friend and the enemies heavy guns... are not.
Yesterday I got surprised when I was fresh one minute(Atlas-S) and the next I had internal damage on my left torso! That does not happen all the time, I wasn't mad but yeah I was surprised.

Happened in 3 different mechs.
cent 260std
griff 320xl
Hawk 275xl
the cent was at full hp, simply turned around, then my ST and CT were gone. The others were all above 95%hp.

View PostHAV0C, on 25 October 2014 - 01:58 AM, said:

Anyone who misses poptarting probably wouldn't be able to actually fight their way out of a paper bag with directions drawn on the inside of the bag.
Not that good gunnery isn't important, it most certainly is, but being able to move & maneuver while you're shooting is quite important.
Most (Not all, though) poptarts I've seen have a definitive lack of situation awareness, and ability to operate doing more than one or two things at once effectively. Not saying the OP is one of these individuals, but it seems likely.
If nothing else, the thread has fostered some good discussion on weapons balance at least.
> Take it easy for now.

Sometimes I have no clue what game you ppl are playing. Pop-tarts mech have clear disadvantages. Mainly they suck at brawling and they suck when opponents reposition often. They have counter play

There is zero counter to play against mechs that can fire multiple Gauss rifles at one. The only counter to a Gauss is armor and high structural HP, guess which mechs have high armor and high internal structure HP...hmmm I wonder...Gauss' have the three most important aspects of what people what in a weapon; Range, projectile speed and they function close range.

It's not about Mediums not being able to function. I just was 2-5 and 500dmg in a match. The issue is, its simply getting dull and frustrating having to face the same 3 mechs every match. I was ******* glad I saw a Quickdraw today.. I love that Crows are popular, I have zero issues with fighting them. Its a winnable challenge.

Edited by mogs01gt, 25 October 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#56 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

Seems to me you were the unfortunate victim of focused fire or a high alpha strike from an enemy 'mech from behind. I've only ever been killed instantly with next to no damage three or four times in quite literally thousands of drops (I was part of the second round of Closed Beta invitations). One was my aforementioned instant death in the Locust to a pair of Gauss strikes to the left torso, the others were all head destruction deaths to, once again, paired Gauss an/or PPC strikes before the Gauss charge up mechanic was in place.

Just speculating.

<S> Take it easy.

Edited by HAV0C, 25 October 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#57 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

This re-emphasizes why the deathscreen needs to show the number of weapons that hit you in those last fateful seconds, how much damage they did and now I'd add to which component.

That data would end SO MUCH ANGST over this. And yes I include myself in the angst dept. I want my mech autopsy.

Or would that be a 'necropsy' since it's not a human...?

#58 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

View PostHAV0C, on 25 October 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

Seems to me you were the unfortunate victim of focused fire or a high alpha strike from an enemy 'mech from behind. I've only ever been killed instantly with next to no damage three or four times in quite literally thousands of drops (I was part of the second round of Closed Beta invitations). One was my aforementioned instant death in the Locust to a pair of Gauss strikes to the left torso, the others were all head destruction deaths to, once again, paired Gauss an/or PPC strikes before the Gauss charge up mechanic was in place.

Just speculating.

<S> Take it easy.

Damn you assume a lot....

Nobody was "behind" me. All three instances were from gauss hits from across the map. 2 of them were when I was engaged. Last time I checked, clan mechs werent around in beta....

Edited by mogs01gt, 25 October 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#59 NKAc Street

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

If you got one shotted, then post a screen of your death only being ONE WEAPON. otherwise you probably got focused, it could be premade mass solo drops on comms thinking they are bad ass.

#60 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 25 October 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

Damn you assume a lot....

Nobody was "behind" me. All three instances were from gauss hits from across the map. 2 of them were when I was engaged. Last time I checked, clan mechs werent around in beta....

I assume because some people, not naming any names, don't provide adequate information to draw definitive conclusions and must therefore assume. You never said nobody was "behind" you till just now. And no crap the clan 'mechs weren't in the game during closed beta. I never said they were, are you daft? Ya know what did exist in closed beta? Dual Gauss Catapult K2's. Which is what head capped me in one instance that I mentioned before in my last reply. I used the closed beta example to denote I've been in *a lot* of drops and have only been dropped instantly in one shot on less than a handful of times. Post a screenshot of only one weapon causing you damage before death, otherwise I'm going to assume you're blowing smoke.

How about you just grab a straw & suck it up. You had some bad luck, it happens, move on and quitcherbitchen.

<S>

Edited by HAV0C, 25 October 2014 - 08:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users