49 replies to this topic

#1 Haike

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

Hi,

After the hotfix on Wednesday, to change up the reward system 3days ago, I suffered a huge drop in my average damage in a Laser Vomit TBR. I have over 400games as a Laser Vomit, I am extremely experienced in it and many people would have seen me/vouch for my ability to use it.

I went from a average of min 500dmg done, even in losses, to a average of 300damage, even wins i do around 400 damage or so.

PGI i dare you all to grab my data from games before the last patch and compare it to now.

I can also stream my games to prove that something is really wrong with the hit registration for lasers right now. You will be able to see me shooting at targets precisely and expect a certain amount of damage done just from seeing my gameplay, but your prediction of the numbers WILL be off by around 50%.

The current hit registration is so bad, I am tempted to go LRM.....

Dont believe me? Feel free to check out my last broadcast(from last night trying to get good games for the tourny) and see how bad the hit registration is right now. The amount of damage that I should have done is definitely supposed to be higher than what I am doing, based on the gameplay itself.
Just skip to any 1game and watch it for yourself, do a mental count of damage I should be doing (50dmg alphas) and see what happens at the end....the scoreboard

www.twitch.tv/mithhaike right now playing for the next 2 hours.

#2 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:10 AM

yeah, it has been like this for a while now. it's not just lasers either. I've noted ppc and gauss rounds "passing through" enemy mechs. it's a known issue.

the good news is...we all suffer from it so for every time you miss, maybe someone on the other team missed you :)

#3 Haike

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

it only got worse from the last hotfix patch. I could live with it just 3days ago.

#4 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

Same here. It's frustrating and annoying.

Edited by xe N on, 25 October 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

I have had some Wubz disappear into what seemed to be nothing, or minimal damage.

Still 80% good hitreg, but those bad ones do hurt. Could also be related to sub 15 FPS at times, where the target simply isn't where I see him. But not always, sometimes it's just iffy hitreg.

#6 Obi1Raven

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

I'm in the same boat, I have tried at least a dozen different builds on the dire tonight (didn't want meta spew)
For the life of me nothing seems to work.
Also, I've had massive slow downs and lag spikes, especially in Manifold.

#7 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

For me it is like 50% of all laser hit didn't detect. Additionally ping increased from 95 to 145.

#8 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

It's a secret plan to nerf my 4P I tell you! *schizophrenic chittering*

#9 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

Why do games have such horrid times with hit detection? Planetside 2, BF4.....MWO.....Yikes....

#10 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Its only bad when I go into 300+ pings then my bullets and lasers go right through mechs, but again at that ping level I am usually skipping around.

#11 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hit detection is an issue of both latency and server power.

First is the issue of latency - the time it takes for information to go from your computer to the server. The server must use a method of predicting where you actually intended to shoot - this is the core of HSR (which means Host State Rewind). If your movement/aim is erratic, if you are aiming at a target that has erratic movement, or if the projectiles move very quickly, then HSR may predict incorrectly - the problem gets worse as your latency increases.

The second issue is server power. In a perfect world, the server would be running at millions of frames per second and would be able to track every projectile and mech perfectly. In the real world, however, the server has only limited power - it is tracking a great many people at once. Recently Russ stated that they found a problem that came from the server migration: the server was updating at a lower frequency than it did previously. This causes problems because servers track projectiles using "physics windows" - it checks projectile positions at certain time intervals. If the physics window is too large - that is, the time interval is too long - then projectiles will often appear to teleport through enemy mechs. This is because the server actually thought that your projectile was in a different place. Decreasing the size of the physics window requires more CPU power but improves hit detection (double the frequench = half the size of the physics window = twice the load on the server CPU).

#12 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

I wonder if PGI as the ability to upgrade their servers to improve performance/server frame rate. Is it a acquisition cost issue or operating cost issue.

#13 Haike

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

The thing is, they did something to break the hit registration for me.

I was fine just 3 days...now 4days ago, before they rolled out the hotfix for the rewards. After that particular patch, my hit registration went to hell.

It's not something that CANNOT be solved, PGI broke something with the patch 3days ago

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

yesterday we had server issues, mayebe PGi duwngraded the serevr fps? It was said to be an issue for bad laserhitreg.

today I gave serveral spiders volleys of CERML's and they should have taken serious damage, but as soon as they seem to run around even in a straigt line ahead of you, lasers seem not to register.

#15 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this. At first I thought I was doing something really wrong and went back to a few of my ballistic builds but they were ok.

#16 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

Having watched a Stalker with only CT and RT internals in the red survive two 6 ML alphas without a scratch from 100 meters (70 ping), i'm inclined to think Laser hit Reg has remained the same as it was months ago - very sporadic. Lately it seems to be much worse, though...

PGI has already admitted to using barely acceptable system settings; 30 Frames for a game that can have several thousand computations per second? You cant expect maximum return from minimal investment.

#17 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

Speaking of hit registration silliness, I noticed Streak SRMs interact weirdly with the Mad Dog, and every single one will unfailingly hit its center torso instead of any other location.

It's entirely possible to be CT cored in one volley by boated SSRM6 launchers because of this, just like in the old Streak-Kitty days.

#18 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 25 October 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Why do games have such horrid times with hit detection? Planetside 2, BF4.....MWO.....Yikes....

Because people can't be trusted. Seriously. Long ago hit detection used to be client side so what you saw was what happened for the most part. Latency/lag was a bit less of an issue unless it was REALLY horrible. However people kept using cheats to basically tell the server they hit by injecting that. Aimbots were born. So now most games have the server authenticate the hit. The client only tells the server where the person playing is and where they are shooting and the server put that and the 23 other players info together and determines if a hit happened. Why? So that aimbots are much harder to write. So now latency can be a REALLY big thing.

Now PGI uses Host State Rewind which allows the server to figure out how far behind it your client is and try to match your shot up properly. It works pretty well, when your latency doesn't change. Basically it goes "He is .1 tenths of a second behind me so that shot went there." But what happens when for a bit you .1 tenths of a second behind and then you are .1 second behind and then .1 tenths of a second behind? Well, the server thinks you should be .1 tenths of a second behind and calculates for that when really when you took the shot you were .1 second behind.

#19 Iron Pete Chiwalski

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

I have also started to notice that for last few days my lasers are sometimes not doing any damage , and my ping has gone up substantially, and fluctuates a bit. Previously it was a steady 130 for a year straight (not awesome, but very consistent) now its in the 190-210 range :(

#20 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:27 PM

View Postsneeking, on 25 October 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

this morning I poured twin ac2 and tripple ssrm with cooldown lv5 into a mostly stripped mech all orrang n red with no arms from 50 to 100 metres untill my AH shutdown !

then he killed me :P

a real WTF moment.

In additional to the bad hit reg there also seem to be more out of sync players. Yesterday I alphad a legged and heavily damaged stormcrow with my SRM30-Crow 3 times (180 raw damage) with out any noticeable effekt. In addition, a dakka wolf fired several volley of 4x CUAC10 on it and it had barley any effect.

Edited by xe N on, 25 October 2014 - 10:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users