Fps Issues W/cpu?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Homer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

About once a minute in every match, my FPS drops to a stuttering 5-10 for several seconds and then jumps back to ~40ish. (I have to time my attacks carefully.) I'm using:

i7-2630QM @ 2.00 GHz
8 gigs of RAM
GeForce GTX 460M, 1.5 gig
Windows 7 64 bit

I run the game on low in 1920x1080 resolution, though I tried 1024x768 and the FPS drops still happen, so I don't think it's video card related. Also, I know the processor isn't excellent, but around 2 years ago I didn't get these FPS drops. This is a laptop, so getting better parts isn't an option. Can anyone please provide some insight?

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

The CPU is clocked pretty low, but this might also be heat-related. Using a cooling pad? Tried disabling hyperthreading? Ran the repair tool?

#3 Commander Homer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 25 October 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

The CPU is clocked pretty low, but this might also be heat-related. Using a cooling pad? Tried disabling hyperthreading? Ran the repair tool?

Thanks for your response. I use a laptop cooling fan, and the temperature is where it's usually been (around 80C), so even though this might be a tad high. it isn't abnormal. Can you please tell me how to run the repair tool?

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

Edit-that temp is high. So tis likely it is hitting the cooldown threshold that then slows down the system to allow it to cool off.

The other would be to take control of your fans, using Speedfan/Afterburner, while also using a can of compressed air to clear the heatsink every month.

For the nvidia card, set settings to application control and set Nvidia Power Management mode to prefer best performance

As well as disable Turbo Boost. TB acts as a form of overclocking but once maxed out it is to only one core, which is done by partially by increasing the power to said core(s). Once that core reaches a specific heat threshold then the entire cpu is underclocked to allow it to cool off some. Atm I am aware of 477 users who have benefited from this modification.

Start with 99% then if need be drop it to 98%.

Disabling Intel Turbo Boost - Tautvidas Sipavičius

Turbo frequency 2900 MHz (1 core)
2800 MHz (2 cores)
2600 MHz (3 or 4 cores)

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 October 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#5 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

As far as the heat is concerned, if you're feeling froggy and there's no more warranty on your machine, you might want to open it up and replace the thermal compound attaching the heatsink to the CPU and GPU. It's not usually a bonding type, and if you use something nonconductive (I think MX-4 fits the bill here) you can help the heat situation by a good few degrees. That will help dissipate the heat better.

#6 Commander Homer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

Thanks both of you for the words of wisdom. Now that I think about it, my first match of MWO is usually free of FPS drops, so maybe it does have something to do with the heat, as the last time my laptop's been cleaned was a while ago. The warranty is out, but I will have to figure out how to open it carefully and correctly.

#7 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

Most manufacturers do list the entire procedure in their online documentation. It's usually a bit of a pain in the arse and a little time-consuming, but overall not too difficult. My HP was definitely worse than my Dell because of the sheer amount of screws (the HP had like 40 where the Dell had like 15 total). My Lenovo looks like it would be about the same as the Dell, but I dare not do anything to it since it's a company machine.

#8 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

take pictures while doing it... good reference for putting it all back together. Nice feedback from Wired and Tarl :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users