Nascar!

39 replies to this topic

#1 _Ares_

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

When will people in PUG games realize not all mechs go over 70+ kph? This nascar trend is getting stupid.
What happened to taking good fighting positions, area denial, ambush, flank.
It seems like everytime i take a mech slower than 70kph i'm left behind by the rotation. Today i had a game when we circled 3 times in freaking forest colony,it's getting out of hand.
I understand that circling works in competitive play, but PUG games don't have coordinated teams and not all 12 mechs are built for racing.
Would like to know the communitys' opinion on the matter :) .
Tnx.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

It happens, particularly at higher Elo ratings. Largely, because it works: If your team is faster than their team, you'll eat their tail elements faster than they can eat yours, and win.

But, yeah, it's an annoying way to play. Won't change as long as it works, though.

You can play a fast mech, and thus contribute to winning, or a slow mech and probably die uselessly. Not great options.

Game mode doesn't help either: As much as players liked to deride Conquest to being a circle-racing simulator, that happens in Skirmish as well. If anything, it happens the least in Assault, but still does happen there.

#3 Alexander MacTaggart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

I thought I was the only person who used stock engine ratings just because speed inflation is dumb.

Yeah, my Hunchbacks do 64.8kph before speed tweak and my Atlas does 48kph, what of it?

When I buy a Raven it's going to do ~97kph too, none of this ~140kph+ crap.

I'm playing Stompy Robots Online, not Bipedal NASCAR Online.

#4 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

It's equally frustrating then the deceased start talking to me back when I was piloting a Centurion telling me that "any centurion running slower than 100kph should just quit 'cause it's stupid!"

I understand that having a larger engine allows me to get out of certain situations faster and has a better cooling rate than smaller ones but I prefer only using Standard Engines over XL Engines simply because my aim rate when running is worse than when I'm walking around 81kph or less.

There's a big differerence between having a fast 'mech and having a better end battle outcome than the rest of your team and having a fast 'mech and keeping your assaults/fire support alive by helping to fight against the opponents' fast 'mechs.

Piloting a 'mech that travels slower than 100kph isn't a "die uselessly" mark as much as it is being left behind to die 'cause everyone is out for themselves.

We just need to drill it into the minds of more pilots that the act of leaving your team behind in hopes that your end battle readout will be better than the rest of your team is rather pointless as it just makes you less of a team player in the eyes of other pilots.

View PostWintersdark, on 25 October 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

But, yeah, it's an annoying way to play. Won't change as long as it works, though.

You can play a fast mech, and thus contribute to winning, or a slow mech and probably die uselessly. Not great options

#5 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

when i realize we're playing nascar...i decide to play formula 1 and turn right instead of left and try to get as many people to do it with me... meeting them head-on

#6 PauloBR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

Wait when the Clan wave 2 reach.
Lights: 100kph
Mediums: 100kph+ (Ice Ferret 140kph)
Heavies: 90kph
Assaults: 90kph (Gargoyle)

A real NASCAR team. :D

#7 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

Hes making another left turn!!!!

#8 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

More teamwork features would help a lot. That way arranging ambushes and working between lances would be much more fluent.

Tried organising a team of 12 to do more than just blob up and run? ...Exactly.
Even "competitive" teams don't bother because it's too much effort, half the time TS is there for friendly banter and trash talk and why do anything more than what works 90% of the time?
There's rarely a challenge that warrants actual tactics & teamwork in response and until recently with Rewards 2.0 pretty much every challenge and reward in game was based off of individual performance.

Until now the entire infrastructure of this game was based off individual players. Teams were just groups of individuals who gathered together and more often than not gained advantage through exploiting holes in the game mechanics above actual teamwork.

So it stands to reason that the height of form created by competition is blob up and swirl, if my turds can do it I don't exactly consider it "Competitive" just a crap system.

BUT

Rewards 2.0, PUG lances grouped by weight class, CW around the Corner, Planets at stake, Dropships and attack and defend game mode.

Things be changing for the better and hopefully soon we'll have a command wheel, more team based bonuses and improvements to the lance system that will encourage a higher level of tactical play more regularly.

Once that becomes more regular then it becomes a lot easier to overcome an enemy that does the same thing 90% of the time...
Except in that world they won't be doing that 90% of the time :D and lo' you have much more of the maps being used and much more of a thinking persons shooter.

#9 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:13 PM

I thought you were talking about how ppl go to the crater in caustic and go around like nascar

#10 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

Nascar only really happens on 2 maps. HPG gets a special mention, but it's just spawn rushing and the nascar is usually quite slow to happen so rarely people get left behind if they actually are aware of the flow of the game.

#11 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 25 October 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

I thought you were talking about how ppl go to the crater in caustic and go around like nascar

that is pretty much it, about half of the maps could have a racing circuit layout on them in a different game

which would be an interesting solaris style game-mode idea :

Lolcust race!

#12 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

Pressing an advantage......now a bad thing in mwo.

#13 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

View Post3rdworld, on 25 October 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

i've heard "circle left" as a plan of attack....as in "lets play nascar" as if it were a winning stratagy. when you notice the other team is playing nascar, yeah, circling behind them is a good thing if you have any speed advantage. if you don't have a speed advantage, or worse yet, you don't KNOW....its bad because they could sweep back around and catch your slow movers before you get to theirs.

the whole problem with the general idea of it is that the faster mechs end up at the front, and the slower mechs end up at the rear strung out and by the time the front of one team gets to the back of the other, its too late to say hey turn around and you're already down a assault mech. best thing to do once you notice you're playing nascar is turn around or step out of the track, and set up an ambush of sorts.

#14 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

View Post3rdworld, on 25 October 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostKamikazeRat, on 25 October 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

i've heard "circle left" as a plan of attack....as in "lets play nascar" as if it were a winning stratagy. when you notice the other team is playing nascar, yeah, circling behind them is a good thing if you have any speed advantage. if you don't have a speed advantage, or worse yet, you don't KNOW....its bad because they could sweep back around and catch your slow movers before you get to theirs.

the whole problem with the general idea of it is that the faster mechs end up at the front, and the slower mechs end up at the rear strung out and by the time the front of one team gets to the back of the other, its too late to say hey turn around and you're already down a assault mech. best thing to do once you notice you're playing nascar is turn around or step out of the track, and set up an ambush of sorts.

It's not that pressing an advantage is a bad thing.

It's that blobbing and swirling is even able to be considered an "advantage" in most cases. Bit dull in terms of gameplay.

Edited by Sadist Cain, 25 October 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#15 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

View PostSadist Cain, on 25 October 2014 - 09:35 PM, said:

It's not that pressing an advantage that's a bad thing.

It's that blobbing and swirling is even able to be considered an "advantage" in most cases. Bit dull in terms of gameplay.

one of our guys had the idea to use squad commands... however more than half of us were drunk. Hence why funny games happen XD

#16 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 25 October 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

one of our guys had the idea to use squad commands... however more than half of us were drunk. Hence why funny games happen XD

friends don't let friends drink and MWO.....wait screw that, friends MAKE friends drink and MWO.....makes you not care about all the tryhards and whiners...lol

#17 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:21 PM

LOL

the line I type the most is "don't run off"

Edited by Davegt27, 26 October 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#18 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

The one I usually see is "Where is that one going?" or "DON'T CHASE THE SQUIRREL!"

View PostDavegt27, on 25 October 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

LOL

the line type the most is "don't run off"

#19 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

NASCAR:

Why spawning in Alpha Lance (by the dropship) on River City in a Dire Wolf sucks so damned much.

At that point, I just say "screw it" and dig in. Sure as hell not running away.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 26 October 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#20 Glythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 25 October 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

It happens, particularly at higher Elo ratings. Largely, because it works: If your team is faster than their team, you'll eat their tail elements faster than they can eat yours, and win.

No offense but that's a really stupid strategy. It's easily beaten by doing 1 partial circle and stopping at the best terrain point.

And then you wait for them to come to you because that gives you the advantage.

Nascar is only a viable strategy for people who are either too stupid/bad/lazy/impatient to learn how to effectively poke and not take a beating.

Most of the maps have 2-3 spots where if you camp and wait you have vastly superior cover and vision and you will win against most assaults on that position. Every map has at least 2 places where you can camp and there are really only 2 'viable' attack angles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users