313 replies to this topic

#221 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:08 AM

Yes this is a perfect assessment of the tdk. Speed = armor. Some of the other commandos you can get creative in the speed/armor/firepower (ie. 2srm6 2ml on the 3a requires smaller than max engine ). Xl210 is popular since it is max for the 2d and those of us that pilot locusts as well will sometimes drop down to a 190 ( max for locust). But with the tdk you can max XL and get all 4 ml in with full armor so it makes sense to go that way.

#222 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

I do get frustrated at how easily I get destroyed with the Commandos, so it has been a grind trying to upgrade them.

Is there a mech that already comes equipped with an XL240 engine?

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 21 November 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#223 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

The anansi and I love it :)

But that means more mc, sadly.

#224 Saiphas Cain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

Snaga... where the did you find that "going in hard" gif? Cripes!

Shaemus - I'm a latecomer to this thread but your name looked familiar, and when you mentioned the comment in the one game with the three targets on the cap I remember that exact verbiage. Running in amongst them probably would have been a death sentence and not mattered. I don't think you did the wrong thing. You weren't exactly running pristine armor by that point.

#225 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

I piloted my kid's Spider a little bit. (He has moved on to Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare) The Spider seemed to glide across the ground, compared to the little stomper that is my TDK.

I will have to think on it. I want a faster mech but I am still worried that the XL engine would make it too easy to kill by taking out a torso. Then again, I have the standard engine and a slower TDK that gets killed quickly. I think I will go with Ricky Bobby: "I wanna go fast!"

#226 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 08 November 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

I will try anything to get better. I really stink with the TDK, but you were right about how I have been playing it. I haven't been very patient. I will have to change my evil ways :)

Hey brother. I have a suggestion... You probably won't like it, but here goes. Get rid of the standard engine and swap out for an XL. First off let me say that I hate XL engines. Your torso goes, and its GG! However, I took one of my friends advice and put in an XL engine on my Huggins, and found that I do more damage, and stay alive longer because I am MUCH faster.

With the added verbiage that I don't stray too far from my Lance or Unit, and I do not engage multiple targets unless I have a battle buddy with me. If you have the C-bills I highly suggest it. Just remember to keep moving, and never, EVER, stop for any reason.

Edit: Sorry, I just read your last post. I stopped two pages back. XL all the way Brother!~Grins.

Cheers!
~Sand

Edited by Sandtiger, 21 November 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#227 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

Interestingly enough... I am also a father of three children, who boots them off of the computer to play mechwarrior online. Of course, now I have the wife, and brothers playing as well. We really should write that book ~Grins

#228 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:30 PM

You nearly ALWAYS want to use an XL in a light. You usually need an XL to get the maximum speed that allows you to survive, and it allows more flexible/powerful armaments, too.

#229 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 21 November 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

I piloted my kid's Spider a little bit. (He has moved on to Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare) The Spider seemed to glide across the ground, compared to the little stomper that is my TDK;

You are nearing enlightenment my friend :) actually if you want a fairly cheap cbill grinder a spider 5d wih stock engine 2ml & tag will do a good job. Still much better with the xl255 and 3mpl in my opinion but you get stalled out at the XL again. The blackjack champion has an XL 235 which would do nicely I. The tdk but back to mc there so I guess it is grind away or pay up either way you go :)

#230 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:07 PM

Thanks to everyone again, for the input on mastering my mechs, and the many other tips that you have given me.

I have another question for you, if you all do not mind a personal question: What made you choose your house/faction?

I chose Merc just because I like the idea of mercs in Mechwarrior (Gray Death Legion, for example) I am not signed on with any merc group, and to be honest I don't know of any that would want me until I get MUCH better.

#231 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostSaiphas Cain, on 21 November 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Shaemus - I'm a latecomer to this thread but your name looked familiar, and when you mentioned the comment in the one game with the three targets on the cap I remember that exact verbiage. Running in amongst them probably would have been a death sentence and not mattered. I don't think you did the wrong thing. You weren't exactly running pristine armor by that point.

Thank you for saying that. I did not know about cap blocking then, and I felt bad after the match. Lesson learned though. :) Since then I have died twice blocking caps, and nobody said anything positive about it. Sometimes it's danged if ya do and double danged if ya don't. Wipe the blood off and jump back into the fight...

#232 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

Well, I actually prefer Davion for purely aethetic reasons - but I'm a member of Black Widow Company, a multi-game organization, so I'm a merc corps player for now.

I like Davion for their emphasis on tactic and training with a domestic political attitude of relative liberty. The Draconis Combine, by comparison, is much more authoritarian, and the Lyran Commonwealth routinely substitutes logistical support for brains.

#233 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 21 November 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Thanks to everyone again, for the input on mastering my mechs, and the many other tips that you have given me.

I have another question for you, if you all do not mind a personal question: What made you choose your house/faction?

I chose Merc just because I like the idea of mercs in Mechwarrior (Gray Death Legion, for example) I am not signed on with any merc group, and to be honest I don't know of any that would want me until I get MUCH better.

I wanted to be like the cool kids.

Ok so not really. I kind of wanted to be Clan Ghost Bear because Of Ghost Bear's Legacy which was my favorite MW game. But I found out I like the IS mechs better in MWO and there is no kodiak yet and I can't make assault mechs work anyway. So when all the different faction sales were going on awhile ago I waited til all of my favorite mechs were on sale and chose that faction. Deep and thought out :)

#234 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

Actually, now that I think on it... many merc units, such as my own (shameless plug!) will train you if you're willing to learn.

Also, while people don't often comment on blocking the cap, they will often notice when you do it. It's like with children; they always understand more words than they can say.

#235 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:34 AM

I didn't mean for my comment on cap blocking to be negative. I did not expect any positive feedback when I did try to cap block.

I guess what I really meant to say was: Do the right thing. It doesn't matter whether you get a pat on the back, or teeth marks on your backside. Either way, get up...wipe off the blood...get your butt back in the fight.

#236 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:54 AM

No worries Shaemus, the forums are not nearly as full of vitriol as the in game chat (or at least the new player forums are not). Even if you do say something negative we won't hold it against you :) In fact there is a whole thread for it if you want! Or if like me you prefer to laugh at yourself, try this.

Edited by 3xnihilo, 22 November 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#237 Saiphas Cain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

It's far easier not to be a degenerate when I'm not in the process of watching my team collapse. The forums are much calmer and more measured commentary.

#238 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:53 PM

Amen to that.

#239 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

I have noticed a great difference in the demeanor of players in game, and in this forum. I mentioned one time - after I was dead and spectating - that I was trying to master the commandos, but until then I am pretty squishy. Some snarky characters said "nobody cares" I just said "Thank you" :) I have been reluctant to share anything else in game, but I really appreciate the helpful people on these forums.

I bought some more MC, because I had to have the "Gray Death". After I master the commandos, I am planning to master the Shadow Hawks. I think I did not give them a fair chance before. Maybe, I will get good enough with it that people will say: "Curse that Shaemus, and his GD Shadow Hawk!" :D

#240 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:02 PM

gl with that the challenge will probably make it harder

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users