313 replies to this topic

#261 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

Similar reasons for my faction (or rather lack of it)

I'm just not quite organized enough for the merc corps part. :P

#262 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 November 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

Similar reasons for my faction (or rather lack of it)

I'm just not quite organized enough for the merc corps part. :P

I was never in the military myself, but my Mother and Father are both retired military. My mother was buried with honors from the Navy a few years ago. Needless to say, I know how to follow orders...

I am a better support player than leader. I do also enjoy scouting, then hauling exhaust back to support the team. Anyone that has played with me knows I am not that great of a player yet, TBH.

#263 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 24 November 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

.........yet...

And that would be the key word to keep your eye on. ;)

#264 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

;) Thanks.

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 24 November 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#265 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostPhobic Wraith, on 24 November 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

That challenge was brutal. I thought to myself "well 20 wins means at most 40 matches, right?"
It took me several hours to complete and at the cost of much time I had dedicated to a school project. It wasn't worth it.

At the rate I was accruing wins, I would have had to play for over twelve hours of match time, not counting time spent searching - and that's a conservative estimate assuming that matches are an average of seven minutes long.

#266 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 24 November 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

At the rate I was accruing wins, I would have had to play for over twelve hours of match time, not counting time spent searching - and that's a conservative estimate assuming that matches are an average of seven minutes long.

I wound up in a group toward the end - with the simple orders to circle right (on most maps) or take a hill (C4?) on the Bog.

Only lost once - but most of them were also reasonably competent - and that once was to HoL if I remember right.
(How many expect to win against the Lords anyways :rolleyes:)

Was not sure I was going to make the challenge until then - as I was sitting ~12/20 for the day's "work" before the invite came. :unsure:

#267 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, my schedule wasn't as open as it could have been - but mostly I just got sick of the idiocy in solo games, or even small groups. If you had a good group, it worked great; if your group was struggling, it was just like solo queue, but the the added temptation for recriminations.

#268 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 November 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

And that would be the key word to keep your eye on. ;)

Well spoken. Within the coming months Shaemus is going to become a monster ~Grins.

#269 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

View PostSandtiger, on 24 November 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

Well spoken. Within the coming months Shaemus is going to become a monster ~Grins.

I have learned SO much from scouring these forums and spectating better/smarter players, that I could not take any credit even if I were to prove you right.

BTW...I elited the Commandos and unlocked speed tweak...just 300k from a 240XL as of right now. I know this means nothing to people that have mastered dozens of mechs, but...Thanks for humoring me. Thanks for the advice. :D

#270 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

Best thanks is to pass it on to the next people. ^_^

#271 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

I have been trying to. I shy away some, because I hate to give advice that I fail at following. :)

#272 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:55 PM

Humoring people and giving advice is what this section of the forums is for.

#273 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:16 AM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 24 November 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

I have been trying to. I shy away some, because I hate to give advice that I fail at following. :)

If I let a little thing like the inability to follow my own advice stop me from giving it to people I would be a very quiet person :D

#274 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:33 AM

I will work on that guys. :)

I need to unlock 3 more elites, but my TDK finally runs 171.1kph. I ran it on Tourmaline. I am not used to the speed yet, so I got hung up in the giant crystals and was killed.

I played the scout/psychopath, but if I hadn't gotten hung up, they were having a hard time hitting me. I ran it with 1 small pulse laser the first time, just to try out the speed and that is all I had room for. (Didn't have any regular small lasers.)

I have since removed 2 dhs, to free up weight and will be running the 4 lasers - will try mediums and the setup Koniving was running with 4 smalls, for better heat control. It was a blast for about 3 minutes. :D

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 25 November 2014 - 05:34 AM.

#275 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 25 November 2014 - 03:16 AM, said:

If I let a little thing like the inability to follow my own advice stop me from giving it to people I would be a very quiet person :D

LOL, I'm afraid I have to agree with you on that one my friend. I would be embracing silence and the conversation would be completely one sided ~Grins.

#276 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:47 AM

shaemus, check out the commandos rock thread over at light mech builds for some more ideas. On the 3rd page there are a couple I want to try with 2mpl/2spl and 1mpl/3spl/BAP. And I have the score posted from my excursion with 4spl tdk on pg2. It was a riot. But a tough build to be consistent in.

#277 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

Nice. :)

I have it set with 2 ml and 2 spl but haven't tried it yet. I need to buy 2 mpl because I like your idea...get in and out quickly concentrate fire on one spot with the pulse lasers.

Until now the grind for xp with the Commandos has been a little rough. I would swear sometimes, that you could flick a BOOGER just right and kill my Commando, since they were slower.

#278 Saiphas Cain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

Seamus, if you do end up trying out the Shadowhawks again you might try this build. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...06c098fd8154ebf

It's relatively cheap, runs virtually forever with a 51% heat efficiency, and hits like half an atlas with much greater mobility. People laugh at the machineguns, until they realize the brace of SRM's just stripped all the armor from something. There's been great argument over whether MG's are worth anything but I can say running this build they're great, if you have enough of them, and have something else to strip the armor. If the three SHD's I have this build is actually my favorite.

#279 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

I bought the "Gray Death", and I want to give them another chance. Once I finish at least getting the elites for my TDK, I plan on getting the Shadow Hawks to that point. I will try any loadout that will help me improve. I really have to work on my heat management. I have been killed too many times, because I overheated and should have gotten away from there, and been more patient.

EDIT: Another question.....How do you check your elo?

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 25 November 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#280 Saiphas Cain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

I've never seen a way to check your ELO, unfortunately. So far as heat management goes that's one of the funny parts of running a brace of MG's. They generate no heat. I've had opponents shut down in Mordor tangling with me and my heat is near maxxed out but I can keep clattering away with those machine guns while cooling down. Changing your loadout to run cooler helps in extended fights but hurts your alpha by costing you firepower. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Grey Death I haven't bought or looked into ( probably get a Pirates Bane at some point ) so no advice there. The cool shot 6 doesn't do much but it can give you an extra alpha strike, sooner which helps. It's also fairly cheap at only 10K cbils. There's a pilot XP module unlock to double the effect that I don't think requires an actual module purchase in order to use as well. The biggest thing in any mech is paying the DHS tax though. ( double heat sink tax ). Once you have that, if you're focusing on mobility and have some choices a larger engine allows more heatsinks to be mounted inside. This doesn't give them the same advantage as internal HS ( that is, HS you add count at 1.4 like everything else, not at 2x efficiency ) but it does mean that every engine mounted DHS saves you 3 critical slots. Save enough and you have room for Endo Steel.

Oh, one other thing... if someone shuts down and you're not under threat from others, take a moment to line up a shot into their cockpit. If your alpha is nasty enough you might end the fight right there. If not you're definitely going to rattle them and make them want to protect their head. Of course the only way to do that is to turn it away from you, which means they can't see you to fire accurately.

Edited by Saiphas Cain, 25 November 2014 - 11:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users