7 replies to this topic

#1 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

Was just looking through my old mechwarrior 4 mercs game faffing about in the mechlab. And one thing was instantly obvious how much difference a decade(ish) makes. Despite some problems with the current mechs like ryoken and daishi not being able to walk or run properly and the flat feet syndrome:Posted Image
The graphical detail and design is a lot more intense and overall the mechs do look incredibly better. Maybe weyre more demanding now on things like why does it take nearly a third of a year to release a new mech design but the visual difference is incredible especially compared to anything pre mw4.

#2 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:11 AM

I don't play many other Games at all in fact MWO is pretty much the Only game i play. I have to say though visually the detail is impressive. BUT games like Hawken their levels are simply incredible, yeah they're small and not a great deal of them but the actual numbers of shapes and contours is enough to embarrass MWO. Now i'm not saying Mwo has crap levels far from it. HPG, mining collective and River city as a few have clearly had some work put into them.

One thing from memory that MW4 still has over MWO is the movement feel. Despite some clashing arms and legs on some mechs but the MWO mechs are still a bit too rigid for my liking.

I won't pretend to be up to speed on the technology behind these games but even 12 years has made a massive difference in game detail. PGI for the large part have done a very good job of making the mechs look more realistic. Comparing them to their Original art some mechs look purely comical but now look pretty feasible. Take the blackjack (ii) and centurion in the the Mektek pack they looked rather daft in MW4 but in MWO they look great. Again the MWO atlas looks far better than the MW4 one. I will agree though a lot of the clan mechs actually look a bit worse. I have never liked PGI's take on the Most iconic battlemech ever the TW and the Ryoken too for that matter. The MW4 versions both looked much better. The Direfail (which apparantly can skip it's 100 tons of lard arse around), Kitfox and nova though do look quite good but the best looking clan mech so far in my opinion in MWO is the Mad dog. Where's its bloomin chin turret!!!!

Edited by mad kat, 28 October 2014 - 02:14 AM.

#3 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:20 AM

True about the box too. I too am keeping my previous mechwarrior game boxes (just need to find the original mechwarrior from somewhere and get the MW4 Mercs IS pack to complete it).

Mw2 for me was the game that got me into the franchise. I remember when we got our first desktop computer and this was a game that came with it along with assault rigs iirc. Back on old AOL dial up. How i laugh now. My phone has way more game playing prowess than that old machine. But the immersion was sold and sealed. I was hooked. Then mw3 came out and we had textures!!!! I remember from those two it felt like there was a story line and an atmosphere. There were voice overs and voice actors and for its time the cut scenes and beginning end movies were amazing. Even mech comander and mw4 with the mission cut scenes made the game way more involving than what we have now.

Sure mwo is visually impressive but where's the story line the cut scenes the sense of influence in the story line is lacking. If cw ever comes out we'll be part way there but i want cut scenes of my mechanics talking (shouting angrilly) at me, allies talking to me, commanders and subordinates alike talking to me like we had in mech comander and mw4. Hell even mw2 had a 'hall' to make you feel like you belonged to a faction and were doing something for it.

https://encrypted-tb...I1v8nIi6MsNOvGw

https://encrypted-tb...ZiLa2Hsuep7cyNA

http://mortarandpist...1/10/mw2-03.jpg

Edited by mad kat, 29 October 2014 - 05:03 AM.

#4 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:50 AM

View Postmad kat, on 26 October 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Was just looking through my old mechwarrior 4 mercs game faffing about in the mechlab. And one thing was instantly obvious how much difference a decade(ish) makes. Despite some problems with the current mechs like ryoken and daishi not being able to walk or run properly and the flat feet syndrome:Posted Image
The graphical detail and design is a lot more intense and overall the mechs do look incredibly better. Maybe weyre more demanding now on things like why does it take nearly a third of a year to release a new mech design but the visual difference is incredible especially compared to anything pre mw4.

Inverse kinematics (where the legs bend to match the terrain, instead of going through it or floating above it on slopes) were removed for netcode reasons.

#5 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:04 AM

Will we ever get this Inverse kinematics back in some form or another?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users