Question On Ams

9 replies to this topic

#1 senaiboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

I'm not sure if this is due to the proliferation of LRMs these days, but my Jester's dual AMS go through 2000 ammo very, very quickly (as in, within the first 5 minutes). I have all the AMS upgrades.

Is 2000 AMS ammo supposed to aim for 2000 LRMs? As in if the enemy has less than 2000 LRMs ammo, I should not run out of AMS.

OR is it supposed to shoot down 2000 LRMs? As in stopping 2000 LRMs from hitting me, out of the whole volleys.

#2 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

Dual AMS means you'll go though ammo twice as fast (Duh), but you have double ammo.

Increase in tagging and narcing has increased LRM usage, so that may be part of the issue.

AMS module upgrades increase the rate and usage of AMS, so that may be part of the issue.

Be aware, you can now shut your AMS off using the `/~ key, so when underground or in places you don't want it to fire, you can turn it off to save ammo. Just remember to turn it back on :)

#3 Alexander MacTaggart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

I now carry two tons of ammo (2,000 rounds) on mechs with a single AMS, just for those LRM-heavy matches. If I had a mech capable of mounting dual AMS, I'd want four tons of ammo to feed them.

#4 Rise or Die

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts
  • Location91***

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

Dual or tripple ams = at least two tons of ammo

#5 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

For me carrying ams depends on my loadout and mech i am running. unless its a slower mech i can almost always find cover for the LRM rain in a faster mech so dont have many that carry ams. NARC has increased LRM usage quite a bit. If you see a light near you and suddenly get "incoming" get into cover and let the rain get wasted cause they will keep piling the LRM's into you until the NARC beacon wears off

#6 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:54 AM

Those CLRMs can depleat AMS ammo extremly fast.And at least in pugs 60-70% Claners have at least 1 CLRM luncher.

1 ton of AMS ammo is a joke,2 tons may be good somethimes rarely usualy its gone within 3-4 minutes of match.

Only way is to be selfish and disable AMS until U self getin lurmed :(

#7 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:00 AM

Running a KFX with 3 AMS regularly minimum requirement is 4000 rounds of ammo, for tournament weekends where LRMs go crazy I may have to bring as much as 12000 rounds for them to make it last through the round, and even then manage to run out sometimes.

as for how many missile do AMS shoot down pr ton of ammo? roughly one ton of LRM = 1 ton of AMS, but take into consideration you rarely will kill the entire swarm/cloud/stream, so one ton of AMS usually takes 3 tons of LRM to spend while a third of those missile will be shot down.

These are rough numbers from a KFX 3xAMS Umbrella pilot who have spent entire matches doing nothing but intercept missile trails.

#8 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

Just run AMS overload. Having both just eats too much ammo on most dual builds.

(Edit) Disregard,ammo was buffed

Edited by Spheroid, 06 November 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#9 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:58 PM

i think it's like this one here:

shoot as many rounds possible to hit as many rockets as possible.. for sure some will come through.

no single AMS round will bring down an opposide single rocket.

Edited by Thrudvangar, 05 November 2014 - 11:59 PM.

#10 ImperialCrusader

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:47 PM

View Postsenaiboy, on 26 October 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

I'm not sure if this is due to the proliferation of LRMs these days, but my Jester's dual AMS go through 2000 ammo very, very quickly (as in, within the first 5 minutes). I have all the AMS upgrades.

Is 2000 AMS ammo supposed to aim for 2000 LRMs? As in if the enemy has less than 2000 LRMs ammo, I should not run out of AMS.

OR is it supposed to shoot down 2000 LRMs? As in stopping 2000 LRMs from hitting me, out of the whole volleys.

You need 9 or 18 shots per missile to destroy it, this link might be quite old use it as reference, not sure if it is still valid http://mwo.gamepedia..._Missile_System

Edited by ImperialCrusader, 14 December 2014 - 10:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users