Victor Mastery Models

6 replies to this topic

#1 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:39 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Dragon Slayer for use as a striker--jump out and drop some heavy close-range weapons, then fade out before the enemy can react. What other 2 varients should I get to master the chassis? They all look really similar but I'm always surprised how wrong I was when I am done with these things.

#2 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:42 PM

9S and 9B, since you take take an AC20 in the right arm. The 9K has no significant advantages.

#3 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:54 AM

Finished mastering the chassis yesterday, just in time for the denerfs. These are the builds I used

VTR-9S - 2xUAC5 1xERLL 1xALRM5 TAG -- I wanted to use rapid-fire ballistics on this one and ended up building around the longer range. Pretty flexible overall, but its very generalized, a heavier and slower version of my Orion -V that doesn't really exploit the Victor's strengths.

VTR-9B - 1xLB10X 2xMG 1xERLL 1xASRM4 1xASRM2 TAG -- close-range assault with very-high crit-seeking loadout. A lot of fun to play and suits the mobility well. Can beat a Dire or a Madcat in a knife-fight: jump, turn, and crits to the face, over and over. But it does poorly above 200m and is victimized by lights pretty regularly because of the spread damage.

VTR-DS - 1xAC10 2xERLL 2xSSRM2 TAG -- my Dragon Slayer mid-range skirmisher, works pretty well inside 500m, can poke out further to make stuff move, and streaks work up to 300m with the range modules. Pretty good build for aggressive forward playstyle. The jump jets let you crawl up behind an enemy and alpha everything into their rear CT, and the streaks penetrate light mech lag shields well enough. Can use the left arm as a shield and I dont have to worry about losing the ERLL because I have another in the side torso. This is the one I kept after mastering all three.

Overall I like the chassis and it works pretty well once you have full elite. Ballistic on the arm is pretty useful for a jumping brawler (jump on a platform and shoot down on enemy) at the risk of having the arm blown off. I hope the de-nerfs in today's patch make it work a better, and 20% better torso turn rate should help spread damage quite a bit.

#4 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

I tend to go for a std 300 engine build.I feel an xl engine on the Victor gimps it's durability.That's my experience with it anyway.
Current build is ac10,3 med pulse lazors and 2 srm 4's and ams.Sometimes I swap out the pulsers for normal mediums,and the ac10 for a uac5 ac5 combo.1 jj.Not spectacular but gets the job done.

#5 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

I got a VTR-9S(C) in the weekend challenge, and decided to keep this one and run it as a close brawler for a while. At the moment I'm running it with XL350 1xAC20 3xSSRM2 1xERLL BAP. The ERLL hits a little less than 2xML but it gives me something to poke at long-range targets for -1d penalty. Streaks are great for legging lights and put guaranteed 12d on anything inside 300m. BAP lets the streaks work against ECM-protected enemies and speeds up info gathering, and also helps the team. Might change to ASRM4s laters if I feel confident enough with movement, but I doubt it.

Few runs with it so far and I am enjoying it well enough.

Edited by UrsusMorologus, 22 November 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#6 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostCharronn, on 07 November 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

I tend to go for a std 300 engine build.I feel an xl engine on the Victor gimps it's durability.That's my experience with it anyway.
Current build is ac10,3 med pulse lazors and 2 srm 4's and ams.Sometimes I swap out the pulsers for normal mediums,and the ac10 for a uac5 ac5 combo.1 jj.Not spectacular but gets the job done.

Putting a slow, STD engine in a mech that needs it's speed to survive gimps it's durability...

Victor works best with the XL 350 the 9S(C) comes with, or at least an XL 340. It got it's torso twist and speed back, so there's absolutely zero reason ever to put a STD engine in this mech, nor a small one. If you like STD 300, run a Tbolt or a Stalker, Victors are XL mechs.

Sure, you can run any mech any way you want, but why waste a mech's advantages, and ignore it's disadvantages to run a loadout that would do better on another mech? The same goes for LRMs on a Victor...best using another mech. One mech is not meant to do everything, and the Victor is more of a niche mech than a jack-of-all-trades anyway. If one cannot learn to equip it and use it in ways that suit it, they are likely better off just taking another mech.

#7 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

If you want more speed with a lot of punch try this. Makes a great flanker/striker. It doesn't face tank well though so no staring contests please... :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users