Mechwarrior 4 Nostalgia

10 replies to this topic

#1 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:06 AM

Was watching a YouTube play through of good old MW 4 for the PC. That game was so darned fun compared to what gaming has become.

The options to play any one of a variety of missions against all kinds of different AI opponents with different lance mates (even though they were AI) - really enjoyable gaming experience. You could pick your pace and difficulty level. There was something in it for everyone - or for any mood you happened to be in. These days every game has devolved into the mosh pit that used to be what you did after playing through the campaign. Sort of the added bonus round.

I know that Russ has said any sort of AI opponents are off the table and will never be implemented. He's a business man and has to follow the successful business model of today. Gaming has devolved down to the shortest, quickest, most intense experience possible, primarily because this is the cheapest and easiest kind of game to develop. MWO is, like so many games these days, the lowest common denominator. Cheapest product. Greatest profit.

It's still pretty good - but mostly because it's all we have.

Sigh....

#2 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:08 AM

A-Frikkin-men to that lol.......

Call of Duty, TDM with mechs as avatars......

I seriously cant even force myself to press the battle button on either World of Tanks or MWO......I run around the training grounds a bit and now I kinda cant even force myself to do that......

Id prolly be playing Mektek against a horde of AI in my Behemoth if I had Mektek...does it even exist for download anymore?

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 27 October 2014 - 01:08 AM.

#3 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:15 AM

You do realize they said they're going to be poking around the PvE aspects next year right? They've said this a billion times.

#4 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:32 AM

MW4 has been the worst mechwarrior game ever.

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:48 AM

You can also get mech4 running on Windows 7 if you wish.

I've played 1 through 4 over the past year, all on Windows 7.

#6 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:05 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 27 October 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

You can also get mech4 running on Windows 7 if you wish.

I've played 1 through 4 over the past year, all on Windows 7.

Stop there!
I've been playing mw3 with no problem, BUT I cannot play Pirate's mooon because an "error" appears "the games requires directx 7 or above". Any tips? Did happen to you too?

#7 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:59 AM

I wish they'd put in some form of AI based single player tutorial system. Just a tutorial. That way, new players could learn against an enemy that won't tear them up in 10 seconds. Other than that, PVE is kind of useless here.

#8 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:15 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 27 October 2014 - 03:05 AM, said:

Stop there!
I've been playing mw3 with no problem, BUT I cannot play Pirate's mooon because an "error" appears "the games requires directx 7 or above". Any tips? Did happen to you too?

I admit, I haven't given PM a chance yet. I got the main games "working" which generally means perfectly playable, but 31st century had some crashing, MW2 Mercs couldn't get proper videos, just green pixels, MW2 had quite a few crashes, MW3 had the bouncing APCs and occasionally catapulted you 500 meters into the air.

MW4 was rather flawless, though. I think only one crash throughout the entire campaign, which is better than some modern games.

MW3 needed quite a few fixes and patches, but I'm not sure if PM had those sam.e ones; they didn't come alongside the main game patches.

#9 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:53 AM

mechwarrior 3 needs an fps limiter to prevent the bouncing apc, also tested it on a craptastic netbook with a gma500? dunno, maybe it was a gma950, really slow though, it didn't need the fps limiter :P, would recommend trying on one of those if you happen to own one.

I remember it was a bit of a hassle to get the mechwarrior 4's to install properly, but I've played through mercs, 4 and black knight on a win7 system.

#10 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:16 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 27 October 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

I admit, I haven't given PM a chance yet. I got the main games "working" which generally means perfectly playable, but 31st century had some crashing, MW2 Mercs couldn't get proper videos, just green pixels, MW2 had quite a few crashes, MW3 had the bouncing APCs and occasionally catapulted you 500 meters into the air.

MW4 was rather flawless, though. I think only one crash throughout the entire campaign, which is better than some modern games.

MW3 needed quite a few fixes and patches, but I'm not sure if PM had those sam.e ones; they didn't come alongside the main game patches.

The "Quadrology" pack works really well and I have no issue at all with all the games
But PM.... that still asking direct 7 when I try to run it... :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users