Tournament And Challenge Scoring Breaks Balance

2 replies to this topic

Poll: Challenge and Tournament Scoring (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Should challenges and tournaments have a scoring system that is consistent with Role Warfare?

1. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Yes (2 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

3. Other, I'll list reasons below. (0 votes [0.00%])

Role reward based scoring for challenges?

1. Yes, but not the simple way that you suggested. (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Yes, I like the simple idea mentioned in bold. (2 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

3. No, leave it alone. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

Too lazy to read: Tourneys and challenges incentivize kill chasing and LRM boating because of their scoring systems. Should the scoring of challenges be fixed so the balance of weapons and play-styles don't change so much?

----

While I love the idea of challenges and tournaments, I am not a fan of every event having different scoring, especially when the scoring changes the way the game is played for the event's duration. If we hadn't just got a big change to the reward system, I probably wouldn't have bothered posting about this, because it's common knowledge. With the new changes that highlight roles, it seems it would have been the perfect opportunity to use them in this tourney.

Damage based rewards create a huge heavy/assault queue, while pretty much every other reward leads to incredibly high volumes of LRM fire blocking out the sun. In the current chassis tournament, mech pilots are judged only on the damage dealing skills (kills and assists included) and ability to avoid shooting teammates. The latter skill becomes much more challenging due to the prevalence of the former. Not exactly the most useful of ways to separate the wheat from the chaff in a team only game.

Long Range Missiles are highly incentivized because it's much easier to get 12 assists, a couple kills, and constant damage, without even needing line of sight. LRMs aren't bad, I have no problem with them in general. They provide a useful niche for new players to fill while they round the huge learning curve. Their ease of use for farming C-bills is okay, but adding MC rewards makes them significantly more popular, thus unbalancing the game. Tossing the balance out the window by incentivizing the gaming of the system is, as they say where I come from, ass-backwards.

It seems to me that if you are successfully playing to help your team win and perform your best, as you hypothetically would without MC rewards and prestige on the line, you should be rewarded the most.

The simplest way I can think of is factoring all the role/class rewards into your match score and using that for your tourney score.

I'm hoping others might have other ideas that accomplish the same goal.
What do you think, oh great blob of internet wisdom, any thoughts?

Edited by MadLibrarian, 27 October 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#2 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:12 AM

Another challenge, another chance to avoid backlash by using a scoring system that doesn't break the game play. Judging from the plethora of posts and my own experience in the challenge, it's another missed opportunity. :(
Maybe next time.

Bad game play doesn't lend itself to more players or having more fun regardless of the reward.

#3 Celtic Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 507 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Operations - Tukayyid - Honolulu HI

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

The scoring on this particular event was ruined by the fact that you can only get credit for your efforts if your team wins. In my experience this weekend in which I logged about 10 to 12 hrs I was only able to obtain 15% of the 2nd challenge even though I was getting anywhere from 1 to 4 kills a match. I'm all for having tournaments but MM needs to be overhauled.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users