78 replies to this topic

#1 Arcainite

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 97 posts
  • LocationNew Gotham City, Irurzun

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

At some point in time, it would behoove all the DCMS units to agree on planetary control zones for when the territory control goes live. Yes, it's true that this isn't necessary because you can adapt to the changing map, but it would be nice to have a good layout before everyone starts stepping on toes. When is a good time for everybody to do a DCMS High Command session? Obviously, the results would have to be kept classified so that the other Houses (and Clans) don't know where we all will start on the map.

#2 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:18 AM

I don't know if we will really have a choice when it comes to this. From the info that I've seen, it would appear that PGI has the say in terms of what planets and areas are active conflict zones. When we drop into CW, we might be funneled into specific battle locations.

-k

#3 Arcainite

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

Ok, there are a lot more units in MWO than I could think of off the top of my head, so I am working on a revised garrison distribution. I have 34 units written down and would love to brainstorm with the rest of the unit leaders on how we want to distribute those 34 units. Obviously, some units are larger than others, so my idea is that each unit can pick ONE planet to defend, and for each extra company of mechwarriors they have,they will be "assigned" another world by choosing in the next round of a draft-selection method. So units 1-12 in size get to pick one world and logic trumps all in this regard. For example, my unit is called 3rd Benjamin Irregulars "New Gotham Knights" and New Gotham is the capital of Irurzun, hence, our choice is going to be Irurzun. Buckminster Guards Armored Cavalry get Buckminster if they want it. 36th Dieron get Dieron if they want it. Arkab Legions Expeditionary Force gets Arkab. Atlas Hunters get Asgard (only because they called dibs on it long ago). These are common sense issues that shouldn't be up for debate..In the event that two units want the same world, it goes to the senior unit and we can comb through old recruitment posts to find out which is the most senior unit.
Once we have our initial worlds chosen,in Round 1 of the planetary draft, every unit size 13-24+ gets to choose another planet until that Round of drafts is over, 25-36+ after that in Round 3, 37-48+, 49-60+, etc. When calculating unit size, only use members that have joined up since Factions went live. (otherwise my own unit would be twice the size which would be nice, but NOT accurate)
This thread will become the Planetary Draft thread and once we have all the worlds drafted we'll make a nice organized thread with all the garrison details.
For Round 1 of the draft, the 3rd Benjamin Irregulars choose Irurzun.
For Round 1 of the draft, the Atlas Hunters choose Asgard.
For Round 1 of the draft, the Arkab Legions Expeditionary Force choose Arkab.
For Round 1 of the draft, the Buckminster Guards Armored Cavalry choose Buckminster.
For Round 1 of the draft, the 36th Dieron choose Dieron.

Ok, everyone else, make your selection NOW.

Edited by Arcainite, 29 October 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#4 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

I think the point that Kdogg was trying to make is that until the Faction Map is live and we know the plan on how units will be "owning" planets better it is fruitless to plan your owned planets.

#5 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

Right now, the greatest priority should be on getting Kurita players to work together, by which I mean cooperation between units. I know that my Unit and few of the other Kurita units are working on this already, but we can always do more. One thing that may help is the House Kurita TS being back online. Also Projects like 9th Sword's Alshain Open and 3rd Takata's Friday Night Dragon Drops were ways in which this was fostered in the past, but have declined due to an increased

I have played with other Kurita Units on a few occasions, and I know others that do it far more frequently. Right now, honing the skills of our pilots and fostering Cooperation is the most important thing we can do. I also have heard of Units that have recently declared or may declare for Kurita.

I recently talked to someone in a Unit who what has "garrisoned" themselves on a certain planet.They actually talked to PGI and said "We want to be garrisoned on Planet X".
Don't ask me how they did it.

I think it is a bit premature to do that until we have more specifics on CW, and see how it will actually work(should we get a chance to play with it on the Test Server).

#6 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

I thought the House Kurita Teamspeak was shut down due to disuse. Has this changed? I've been trying to reach out to other units, just to make info fly faster. But, even the Arkab Legions seems to want to function alone. Granted, I am not the best person to do this right now, because I am in my final semester of School and doing a Senior Thesis on Japanese History.

So is the Teamspeak server is up?, because if it is; I have to update the Teamspeak Hyperlink.

Gunjikaigi (goonjeeKaiGee) 軍事会議 Council of War

for those who want to copy and paste the kanji. Yes, I am studying Japanese.

軍事会議

also don't use Google Translate; use Denshi Jisho.com http://jisho.org/
http://jisho.org/wor...eng=&dict=edict

Also, can we have 1 and only 1 War room, that is well monitored? Where other Leading Tai-is can communicate with one another.

Choices of planets:
Arkab (of course)
2)Albanii or Albalii (as Sarna has it stated)
3)Algedi
4)Dabih
5)Shitara
6)Al Na'ir

Edited by Timuroslav, 29 October 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#7 Chameleon257

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

I'd like to see how they intend to do this CW stuff before we get too far into splitting planets etc for defense. We all may be doing a lot of work for naught :)

#8 Arcainite

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:10 AM

You people are basically saying "wait until we're getting hit from Steiner, Davion, and half the clans before we decide on a plan to defend against it. That's stupid. What do you think the money in the faction coffers is for? It's for turrets and base defenses and dropships. Did you know you can zoom in on the map of the Inner Sphere to see the inhabited systems using the scroll bar on your mouse? Do you really want me to have the right to say "I told you so" when all of Kurita's many enemies start hitting us and we have unit leaders arguing and bickering during a fight with all the people that look to us to lead them shaking their heads? I say we work this out ahead of time, get the fighting over and done with, so we can all be a cohesive force that is the best in the universe, which is how they survived the Federated Commonwealth and the Clan invasion and even gave it back to both enough to make it worth their while to have a truce with the Fed-Coms and Kuritans and for the Clans to want to say "ok, wait, these guys are better than we thought, let's take a breather and do a truce too." I want us to be that damn good, that's why I'm pre-planning. I don't want the fighting to come when we need to have our shitake mushrooms together, if you know what I mean.
PS - Thank you Arkab Legion Expeditionary Force for you cooperation.

Edited by Arcainite, 30 October 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#9 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:22 AM

No, we are saying that any sort of planning will be best started after we know more about the mechanics of CW. Until then we don't know how the defending will work/whether the owning unit is the only unit that can defend or what. Considering PGI has already reversed their seasons for CW idea, any planning based on their current info is premature due to possible/probable changes before phase 2 is implemented.

#10 AtomCore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 274 posts
  • LocationDPR, Donetsk

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:28 AM

CW will be in same (little upgraded) form as group queue is now. 48 (or more) mech types dropping on 2(or more) maps in form of 12vs12 hybrid queue.
Instead of cutting planets it's better to organise united cooperation center, which does next:
1) group up data about Kurita's units (like droptime, number of ACTIVE players, etc) and in CW3 coordinate timezone responsibility for offence/defence
2) gathers data about enemies (at least players' number and timezones) and maybe in future reallocate forces in situation like this:
On Planet1 "Kurita group 1" (skillclass A) always smashes to pieces "enemy 1" (skillclass E)
and given Planet2 with "Kurita group 2" (skillclass C) that loses to "enemy 1"(skillclass B). By switching group Kurita will take both planets.
3) exchanging mechspecs (clan-counters) between units, because they(clanners) are the strongest enemies. Even now we can model massive fights in private between clans and IS.
4) reach agreement in unified Kurita CW TS server, and language.
5) create "Unified Kurita random groups' coordination rules" to prevent tactical FAILs in matches. It will be lead document and first step to House high command organisation.

Example of:
Unified Kurita random groups' coordination rules
1.By joining drop each group leader or solo player must declare group specs, example:
"6man 4b 1s 1d"
"solo 1l"

*where
b - browler
s - snipers
l - lrm
d - dps fire supports

2. Biggest group leader take drop command and choose tactic by dominating specs:
browlers - regroup and push
snipers - taking highground and trading in long
lrms - regroup at highground near open areas and counter-push
dps fire supports - slow moving in tight lance and unstoppable killings 1 by 1

3. No flood. "LFG", advertisements - after match

#11 Arcainite

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostAtomCore, on 30 October 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

CW will be in same (little upgraded) form as group queue is now. 48 (or more) mech types dropping on 2(or more) maps in form of 12vs12 hybrid queue.
Instead of cutting planets it's better to organise united cooperation center, which does next:
1) group up data about Kurita's units (like droptime, number of ACTIVE players, etc) and in CW3 coordinate timezone responsibility for offence/defence
2) gathers data about enemies (at least players' number and timezones) and maybe in future reallocate forces in situation like this:
On Planet1 "Kurita group 1" (skillclass A) always smashes to pieces "enemy 1" (skillclass E)
and given Planet2 with "Kurita group 2" (skillclass C) that loses to "enemy 1"(skillclass B). By switching group Kurita will take both planets.
3) exchanging mechspecs (clan-counters) between units, because they(clanners) are the strongest enemies. Even now we can model massive fights in private between clans and IS.
4) reach agreement in unified Kurita CW TS server, and language.
5) create "Unified Kurita random groups' coordination rules" to prevent tactical FAILs in matches. It will be lead document and first step to House high command organisation.

Example of:
Unified Kurita random groups' coordination rules
1.By joining drop each group leader or solo player must declare group specs, example:
"6man 4b 1s 1d"
"solo 1l"

*where
b - browler
s - snipers
l - lrm
d - dps fire supports

2. Biggest group leader take drop command and choose tactic by dominating specs:
browlers - regroup and push
snipers - taking highground and trading in long
lrms - regroup at highground near open areas and counter-push
dps fire supports - slow moving in tight lance and unstoppable killings 1 by 1

3. No flood. "LFG", advertisements - after match

ok, let's take what you said there. Biggest group leader takes command. And what, praytell, do you do when you have all the units wanting to partake in the drop? As in you have lots of big groups all wanting to be in the battle but nobody has jurisdiction. Do you have a fight between the Kurita units to see which big unit can participate? You have a donnybrook like what the stupid Clans do with their challenges to see who gets to take part? It's lose-lose mentality of only the strongest partake. Don't you ever wonder why the Clans got beat back so much to begin with? Because we honor all warriors with the commitment to serve the Dragon, whether they be yakuza, female, or past the retirement age. That's what makes Kurita so great. What is being honored is the bushido spirit.
It's a very simple solution. Jurisdiction predetermined and the number of systems you have jurisdiction in is determined by the unit size.
Also, here's a list of known Kurita units:
11th Areingel/Alshain Avengers,
Arkab Legions Expeditionary Force,
Atlas Hunters,
3rd Benjamin Irregulars: New Gotham Knights,
Black Tigers,
Buckminster Guards Armored Cavalry,
Confrerie Black Dragons,
Darkside Development Corporation,
36th Dieron Regulars,
Dumpster Sharks,
53rd Eagle Lancers,
Exercitus Balatronis,
The Fallen,
1st Genyosha (whatever they are called now),
1st Ghost (whatever they are called now),
Harbingers of Death,
Hellfire Legion,
11th Legion of Vega Sumpfratten,
13th Legion,
Maelstrom Company,
Night's Scorn,
The Primarch Coalition,
6th Rangers: Night Talons,
Ravenwood,
17th Recon Caballeros,
Red Buddha,
Redwing,
Ronin Legion,
Ryuken-Ni (whatever they are called now),
SimHQ Crimson Guard,
Singapore Mechanized Light Jaegers,
9th Sword of the Dragon,
3rd Takata Lancers,
Team Spleen.

Edited by Arcainite, 30 October 2014 - 06:59 AM.

#12 AtomCore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 274 posts
  • LocationDPR, Donetsk

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:26 AM

All other things are regulated by game mechanics and rules.

View PostArcainite, on 30 October 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

all the units wanting to partake in the drop

- only one unit, that pushed the button first, gets into fight.

#13 Moku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

Great list. Which units are currently active with any verified community participation like House Tournaments, events, or leagues.

Thanks,

Moku 10SR

#14 Arcainite

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostMoku, on 30 October 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

Great list. Which units are currently active with any verified community participation like House Tournaments, events, or leagues.

Thanks,

Moku 10SR

All 34 were active when the last unit poll was taken and all have tags since factions were released.
PS - AtomCore, do you mean to tell me that there will be no mixed-unit conflicts at all in the territory control part of the game?
PS II - Our second and final draft pick will be Benjamin unless someone wants this as their first round draft pick. We do not have more than 24 active members.

Edited by Arcainite, 30 October 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#15 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

While deciding "owned" or "garrisoned" planets is well and good for role playing purposes, the CW game at the moment as we know it would involve 2 planets attack and defense on each front. The key is getting Kurita units to form as many full teams as we can during CW periods and that's where the coordination comes. You will likely never be able to just pick and choose planets off the map to call your own BUT you can probably coordinate with different Kurita units as to which front you would like to focus on (vs. Steiner, Davion, etc.).

-k

#16 Chameleon257

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

This was my understanding as well from the stuff posted in the cw thread. It didn't look like planets were actively garrisoned. When an attack happened those online would get a defensive notification. Unless I misunderstood

#17 Arcainite

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostKdogg788, on 30 October 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

While deciding "owned" or "garrisoned" planets is well and good for role playing purposes, the CW game at the moment as we know it would involve 2 planets attack and defense on each front. The key is getting Kurita units to form as many full teams as we can during CW periods and that's where the coordination comes. You will likely never be able to just pick and choose planets off the map to call your own BUT you can probably coordinate with different Kurita units as to which front you would like to focus on (vs. Steiner, Davion, etc.).

-k

Let's say you're right. So only the unit that clicks first gets to compete there? There's no option for other units to also click in? Because if there is, my jurisdiction idea is still an important issue.
Also, are you saying that all the money in Faction bank coffers is ONLY for dropships and not turrets and other defenses?

#18 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:17 AM

From what I read into it, there will be a notice out to all units when a planet owned by HK is attacked. Then the first unit that responds has a set time limit to get 12 players grouped up to defend. If that unit doesn't get 12 then the game auto-fills the other spots with other unit members/pugs. There will be multiple attacks over the prime times, so multiple changes for various units to defend.

#19 Kreisel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

How to Conquer a Planet
There are some new advancements here to make conquering a planet easy to understand and dynamic on a daily basis. First off, planets will transition ownership every 24-hours.

Added is the new aspect of having to hold X number of wins on a planet for the duration of the day's combat phases to successfully conquer a planet.

To make this a little easier to explain, I will break down the average scenario between Clans invading an IS planet.

Scenario setup:
At 0:00 UTC (Acutal time TBD), planets are marked as contested.
For demonstration purposes, let's use "Balsta" as on of the contested planets which is just inside FRR space on the current IS Map.
Combat Phase 1 (First peak time zone) begins
Combat Phases last 2 hours (actual length TBD)

How it plays out for the attacking Force players (Clan players):
* Clan players (either solo or in Unit groups) click Balsta and see a planetary information screen appear.
* On this screen, players can see the contract issued by Clan Jade Falcon (as an example).
* Clan Jade Falcon says the reward of winning your attack match is an extra 5,000,000 CB divided amongst your team.
* An 8-man group clicks Accept Contract.
* The 8-man group is put into the Attacker's queue for planet Balsta.
* A 2-man group clicks Accept Contract.
* The 2-man group is put into the Attacker's queue for planet Balsta.
* The team builder for match making adds the 2-man group to the 8-man group for a team of 10.
* A 4-man group clicks Accept Contract
* The 4-man group is put into the Attacker's queue for planet Balsta.
The 4-man group does not fit into the current 10-man group in the queue so they are placed on hold.
* A 2-man group clicks Accept Contract
* The team builder for match making adds the 2-man group to the 10-man team for a team of 12.
* A successful 12-player attacking team has been built.
* A call to arms message to all players aligned to FRR is sent system wide. "A unit group is attacking Balsta! Click the Faction tab to defend!"
* A 3-man group clicks Accept Contract.
* The 3-man group is put into the Attacker's queue for planet Balsta.
* The team builder for match making adds the 3-man group to the 4-man group that was on hold for a team of 7.
This cycle of creating teams and triggering attacks/calls to arms continues for 2hrs.

How it plays out for the defending Force players (IS players):
* A call to arms message is read about a Clan force attacking Balsta.
* IS players (either solo or in Unit groups) click Balsta and see a planetary information screen appear.
* On this screen, players can see the contract issued by Free Rasalhague Republic House Kurita.
* The FRR DCMS says the reward of winning your defensive match is an extra 2,000,000 CB divided amongst your team.
* A 7-man group clicks Accept Contract.
* The 7-man group is put into the Defender's queue for planet Balsta.
* A 2-man group clicks Accept Contract.
* The 2-man group is put into the Defender's queue for planet Balsta.
* The team builder for match making adds the 2-man group to the 7-man group for a team of 9.
* A 4-man group clicks Accept Contract
* The 4-man group is put into the Defender's queue for planet Balsta.
* The 4-man group does not fit into the current 9-man group in the queue so they are placed on hold.
* A 2-man group clicks Accept Contract
* The team builder for match making adds the 2-man group to the 9-man team for a team of 11.
* A solo FRR DCMS aligned player clicks Accept Contract
* The solo player is put into the Defender's queue for planet Balsta.
* The team builder for match making adds the solo player to the 11-man team for a team of 12.
* A successful 12-player defending team has been built.
* This 12-player defending team is now in queue to be matched against any attacking 12-player attacking team.

Once the above two teams were created, they would be matched together and the game begins.

If the attacking Clan team wins the match, they will win a token (zone, point, something that is collectible and visually representable).

If the defending IS team wins the match, they will have sucessfully defended the planet from that one attack. No tokens are awarded.

Let's assume that the Clan team DID win this match. The Clan Force now owns 1/X tokens for that planet. (for now, let's say X=10)

Here's where the planet conquests rules start to apply. The Clan Force needs to get 10 tokens to successfully take the planet from the IS Forces and the FRR.

When the Clan Force (or any attacking Force/Faction for any contested planet) takes the first token, the opportunity for the IS Force to do a counter attack begins.

The next match after the token is taken, is considered a counter attack. In this case, if the Clan team wins the match, they keep their token. If the IS team wins the match, the token is taken away from the Clan Force. If the IS team wins the match, the next match to take place on the planet is another Clan attack match. This creates a push/pull mechanic for the planet's tokens.

With this scenario playing out over the 3 or 4 peak time combat phases, at the end of the last combat phase, the servers will see if the Clans have maintained at least 10 tokens at the end and if so, the planet is no longer contested and now belongs to Clan Jade Falcon and the border on the IS map reflects this. If the Clans do not have 10 tokens at the end of the last combat phase, the planet remains in control of the FRR/IS Force.

The following question arises: What if the Clans get 15 tokens? The answer is that the IS Forces will have to successfully counter attack 6 times to push the token count back down below 10 to keep the planet.

Numbers of Contested Planets

This is going to be a tough one to determine for day 1, but our tentative numbers are 2 planets on each side of Faction borders (so the Kurita/Davion border would have 4 planets in contention, and the Kurita/FRR border would have another 4). There will tentitively be 8 planets along the FRR/Clan invasion path as well.

This brings up the thought of participation. Our current plan is as follows:

Invasion Conflicts will allow anyone from the Inner Sphere Factions to defend. Anyone from Clan Factions can attack.

Border Conflicts will allow only people aligned with the two bordering Factions to participate with one exception. Anyone in any Force specific Faction can defend any conflicted planet, but only the specific Faction aligned players can attack for a Faction. For example, if a planet on the Kurita/Davion border, that is in Kurita space, only Davion players can attack it. Anyone from the other Factions (Steiner, Marik, Liao, FRR, Kurita) can defend the planet. You should notice that Davion cannot defend against a Davion attack. I know this adds a weird twist to the lore of the Houses which is why this particular part of the feature is still being discussed. (I'll let you know that my stance is that only the Faction players aligned with the Factions involved can participate. i.e. Steiner would never defend a Kurita planet from Davion. I'll let you know where that discusson ends up at when we make a final call.)

And yes, there should be a take away from this: IS vs IS and Clan vs Clan conflicts will be part of Phase 2.

So as we currently understand the way community warfare is going to work... Deciding who is going to have a 'jurisdiction' to defend what planet is actually very counterproductive.

On any given day we are going to have:
  • 2 Planets to defend from Davion.
  • 2 Davion Planets to attack
  • 2 Planets to defend from FRR
  • 2 FRR Planets to attack.
  • 2 Planets to Defend from Steiner.
  • 2 Steiner Planets to Attack
  • 8 Planets to Defend from the Clans. (Which might not be Kurtia controlled but we are somewhat honor bound to assure the FRR does not fall)
Given the way this system works it is not very useful to decide beforehand 'who will defend what planet' as on days when those planets are not contested it will be pointless. It may be useful to have units or groups that specialize in either Attacking Rival IS planets, Defending From IS Foes, Or Defending from Clans; as each type is going to be different and certain builds and play styles are going to be more or less effective for each kind of fight.

It might also be useful to have units pick a FRONT to focus on, as if they specialize in fighting one faction they are going to start to learn the pilots of that faction, what/how they pilot, and any tenancies in the faction as a whole (Do Steiner players actually bring more assaults?). But picking a planet for units to focus on is silly and pointless. We want every unit to focus on doing as much as they can for the Combine as a whole.

What we need to develop is a system for units to quickly communicate and co-ordinate on the fly. We need to be able to get the word out if we are losing a particular planet and shift our forces based on the current situation. If for instance we are losing a planet because another faction has taken the 10 tokens they need, but say another planet they have only taken one or two tokens, we want to shift coordinated groups to the defense of the world we are actually at risk of losing until we have launched enough successful counter attacks to make sure it's well in the safe margin, or another world becomes high risk. Or say we have a Davion planet we have almost taken, but just need one or two more tokens, we could call a few extra groups to focus on that planet until we take it and then transfer forces elsewhere and just leave a few to hold it unless they start to struggle.

Even solo players and smaller units which might not be well known or communicate much with the rest of the community are going to be able to Defend and attack. So the key for the groups that are working together is going to be focusing their efforts where they are most needed. It doesn't do a unit a lot of good to keep attacking the same planet if say, we have 20 tokens there and you only need 10 to take it, we have it, at that point they should move on and find out where help is needed (just keep an eye out if it drops back down to like 12 or something).

That makes useful to know:
  • How close each given planet is to being lost or won.
  • How many groups are at what planet right now.
  • If it looks like a group currently in battle thinks they are going to win or lose the battle they are in. (being able to predict the gain or loss of a token before it happens when more than one planet is right around the line where the planet switches over, given how long CW/Dropship battles may take, might help another unit/group decide if they should head to that or a different planet.)
To be honest, as it's first come first serve, and every player is about to get shoved into a faction a lot of CW is going to be influenced by the PUGS, and by being able to get player INTO groups quickly. As we all know how much better a group does when the entire team is on the same group comms and working together quickly the most important thing we might be able to do is have a way for people from different units to get into each others VOIP and into the same channel before the match starts. We need to make the PUGs feel included and part of the team, we need to MAKE them part of the team and encourage them to get on teamspeak with us and into the group, and if they work with us invite them into the group for the next match. But more over we want to create as many 12 mans as we can, and that means mixed unit groups. It means a place where groups from units can go to pick up the extra people they need to fill out the group from other units and where players (even solo players) can go to find groups that need people. Some kind of consolidated LFG to help us build cross unit groups would be a huge boon. If there is anything to discuss before CW starts, that is really it, how do we find each other. Because to really be successful we will have to build groups from several units all mashed together, and when a 6 man, a 4 Man and a 2 man is thrown in the same game we need a way of getting them all into one VOIP and working together as if they were a 12 man.

With possibly as many as 20 planets in play on a given day and the fact an undefended attack is a auto-loss and tokens can not be lost by attacking, only by counter attacks. In many ways CW may be a numbers game, the more groups you can throw at a planet the better.

Edited by Kreisel, 01 November 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#20 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

As has been pointed out by fellow samurai already, CW will be limited to specific hotspots. This has been part of the planned system when the game was already in closed beta, and recent announcements - see the quote posted by Kreisel-san - have reinforced this concept.

But I applaud the efforts to unite the Dragon's warriors behind a unified strategy, and will always embrace such endeavours, both for strengthening everyone's sense of belonging to this faction, as well as of course to ensure that we use the DCMS' resources to the best of their ability, by focusing our efforts on strategically important worlds instead of wasting precious materiel in a futile attempt to hold and attack all targets simultaneously, thus overextending our reach and seeing our front crumble under pressure.

A War Council sounds like an excellent idea for making sure that participating troops coordinate their efforts. I would propose one of the following two approaches:

Commanders from company level (Tai-i, minimum of 12 active players) and upward are eligible for voting in the War Council. Each full company of BattleMechs (meaning every 12 players) beyond the first grants an additional vote. Only a unit's highest commanding officer is allowed to act as a representative with voting rights, though they can nominate a substitute to attend meetings on their behalf.

Battalion or regimental commanders (Tai-sa, minimum of 36 active players) are eligible for voting in the War Council, and everyone always gets a single vote. Smaller units will be asked to gather under the banner of these larger formations, retaining their independent command structure, but in the War Council being represented by the major units. The Tai-sas will be responsible for advocating the interests of all units in these "alliances", which will likely involve additional voting processes to determine how the Tai-sa will cast their vote.

Personally, I am leaning towards the second approach, as it limits the number of voting War Council members (thus keeping meetings more streamlined) whilst simultaneously incentivizing cooperation between the larger and the smaller units, hopefully leading to more teamwork. That being said, the first option grants the leaders of smaller units a greater sense of participation as they would be "allowed to speak for themselves", so to say, and we do need everyone's support if we want to make this a thing. Ultimately, it comes down to how much people will be willing to compromise for the greater good.

View Postphalanx, on 29 October 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

I recently talked to someone in a Unit who what has "garrisoned" themselves on a certain planet.They actually talked to PGI and said "We want to be garrisoned on Planet X".
Don't ask me how they did it.
My guess is they didn't. There just seem to be a number of units and unit commanders who do not appreciate their sense of entitlement getting overridden by the demands of a greater community. See the ongoing complaints regarding canon unit names, though it has been made clear how it'll work years ago.

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 01 November 2014 - 11:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users