15 replies to this topic

#1 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

Now we just need MW2: Mercs! xD

"Special downloadable versions of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter will soon be released on Good Old Games. They'll be $10 each.

For that price you're getting not just the special editions of the games (which had slightly higher resolutions and improved sound, as well all of both games' expansions), but more importantly they'll be editions of the games that will run on a modern PC without the need to tinker"

http://kotaku.com/x-...rele-1651470045

#2 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

I installed the updated X-Wing Alliance game last year to prep for SC and dogfighting. I loved the entire LucasArts franchise back then and I hoped to enjoy it once again. While it was awesome good fun for a bit there was no doubt the game is old, the flight mechanics are appropriately simple and the situation of learning the 'trick' to win the engagement got tiresome real fast. Having played it many times before I had the luxury of experience which kept my failures (and repeated attempts at victory) to a minimum. If I was playing this for the first time and had to deal with the mission losses and learning what trick won the match then I would have had far less fun in the context of current game capabilities.

To me it was fun to revisit my favorite game of the past but after touching that memory briefly I found the simplicity of the game left me with little compulsion to continue.

#3 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostBlackBeltJones, on 27 October 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

I installed the updated X-Wing Alliance game last year to prep for SC and dogfighting. I loved the entire LucasArts franchise back then and I hoped to enjoy it once again. While it was awesome good fun for a bit there was no doubt the game is old, the flight mechanics are appropriately simple and the situation of learning the 'trick' to win the engagement got tiresome real fast. Having played it many times before I had the luxury of experience which kept my failures (and repeated attempts at victory) to a minimum. If I was playing this for the first time and had to deal with the mission losses and learning what trick won the match then I would have had far less fun in the context of current game capabilities.

To me it was fun to revisit my favorite game of the past but after touching that memory briefly I found the simplicity of the game left me with little compulsion to continue.

bashing every vent bars with th lightsaber in hope of a hidden secret xD

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 October 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#4 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

By the hand of the Emperor I will fly again!

#5 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

I do remember, and vividly so despite my best efforts to diminish my memory, each secret mission, every addition to my tattoo and each cut scene with Vader as being absolutely epic. There was little I experienced prior that rivaled the excitement and immersion I felt playing Tie-Fighter. Upon playing it recently I expected the same experience and I was sad to see, that despite still being super fun it just isn't as engaging as it was. Obviously though it is me that changed, not the game.

#6 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

I just recently replayed all the TIE Fighter and X-Wing titles. Sadly I can't seem to complete the B-Wing missions add-on for X-Wing as the second one is bugged and doesn't conclude in my collectors edition version.

Hopefully the GoG version will have this fixed, as it is a different version.

Interesting fact:
The Lucasarts announcement on GoG is still more then 5 hours away at the time of my posting.
The Source links of Kotaku are locked (producing 404 errors).

#7 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

Oh - yes TIE fighter was one of the very best games ever played - and the second most expensive one.... it did cost me 4 joysticks.

But MW1-3 re-releases would be great either.
There were some great missions in MW2-Mercs.... and the gameplay of MW3 was great either (easy to abuse and easy to win - but if you want to have a challenge you get it)

Edited by Karl Streiger, 28 October 2014 - 01:02 AM.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:35 AM

X-Wing was the first DOS game I purchased after getting the first Windows 3 PC, I was surprised something with such amazing graphics only required 5 floppy disks (7.2MB combined capacity), of course today even the remastered edition looks horribly dated but that is hardly surprising from a 21 year old game, remastered 16 years ago.

I would much prefer a modern sequel or remake (another Star Wars flight sim, not like the arcade games done since the early 2,000s)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 28 October 2014 - 04:36 AM.

#9 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:19 AM

X-Wing. Loved that game. Glad to know it's making a return. My playing X-Wing will have one effect. Less sleep.

Oh yeah. I'm a gamer. What's sleep?

#10 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

Will love this for sure.

Does anyone remember what X Wing vs. Tie Fighter was?? I remember playing that when I was a kid.
Was that just the two games in a bundled package?

#11 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 28 October 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

Does anyone remember what X Wing vs. Tie Fighter was?? I remember playing that when I was a kid.
Was that just the two games in a bundled package?

No, it was a different title.
- It had an imperial and a rebel campaign (rebels trying to acquire interdictor technology, make it happen or prevent it).
- Multiplayer was the primary focus of the game and some of those mechanisms carried over to the campaigns.
- You had a limited number of respawns in each campaign mission, being one such carry over mechanisms

#12 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostEgomane, on 28 October 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

No, it was a different title.
- It had an imperial and a rebel campaign (rebels trying to acquire interdictor technology, make it happen or prevent it).
- Multiplayer was the primary focus of the game and some of those mechanisms carried over to the campaigns.
- You had a limited number of respawns in each campaign mission, being one such carry over mechanisms

Well damn, seems I never even played X Wing or Tie Fighter then, will have to bust out the joystick again.

#13 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 28 October 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

Well damn, seems I never even played X Wing or Tie Fighter then, will have to bust out the joystick again.

Ok... I'll not spoiler to much, but here are some things that will await you...
X-Wing:
- 3 campaigns of 12 missions each (plus first deathstar run in the third)
- Campaigns build up to the battle of Yavin
- Flyable ships are X-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing
- 1st mission pack: Imperial Pursuit - Find a new base after the battle of Yavin in another 12 20 missions
- 2nd mission pack: B-Wing - Oversee the introduction of the newest Rebel starfighter in yet another 12 (not sure currently) mission campaign
- 4 unique training missions for each of the four starfighters

TIE Fighter:
- 7 short campaigns, ranging from 4 to 8 missions.
- Campaigns are fought alongside various commanders, including Thrawn.
- You are fighting against rebels, pirates and traitors from your own ranks
- If you do well, you will be introduced into a secret order
- Flyable ships are: TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, TIE Advanced, Assault Gunboat, TIE Defender
- Variable loadouts: Select between various beam systems and missle types
- 1st mission pack: Defender of the Empire - Introduces 3 more campaigns and concludes most storylines. Also introduces the Missle Boat as a flyable ship
- 2nd mission pack: Enemies of the Empire - Never released by itself, only with the CD-ROM edition - Ending the rest of the storylines and prelude to Endor with three more campaigns
- Again 4 unique missions per fighter for training

You'll have many hours of gameplay ahead of you.

I replayed those games in April this year (except for the faulty B-Wing campaign) and still enjoyed the games very much.

Edited by Egomane, 14 January 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#14 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter was my gateway into online gaming. Playing with my TFA wingmates on the good ol' Zone...ahh the days.

I sadly hope for a new Star Wars space combat title taking advantage of the decades' worth of graphics, gameplay advances, and new Star Wars mythology. Alas, it hasn't happened yet. (And I don't mean the watered-down versions from SWTOR or SWBF or SWG, I mean free-flight open-world.)

#15 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

Buying it. Those 2 games plus KOTOR, Were great classics!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users