28 replies to this topic

#1 TemplarGFX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:24 PM

Hello All, Ill make this a quick one.

6 months ago, if you held down the "free look" key while playing you could look around your mech's cockpit and use it for situational awareness.

Now after coming back to the game, holding this key does only 1 thing : It prevents me from using my mouse to look/rotate/move at all.

As in, I hold it and move my mouse, but nothing happens. my pilot does not look around, the torso does not move, and the arms do not move.

Is it broken, or is it my machine?

#2 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

Works fine for me, hold down left ctrl and use the mouse to look around in the cab. Trying to use it with centurion shield arm to watch enemy while blocking, not working really well, but the keybind and mouse works.

#3 TemplarGFX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

Thankyou for the quick answer. so it is bafflingly my computer causing the issue...

Rather than a new topic. Another quick question : If changing the FOV still possible?

Edited by TemplarGFX, 27 October 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#4 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

Go to settings and reset your keybindings and see if that fixes it. Or if you have 3rd party software, such as with the Logitech G15 keyboard, did you bind the key to something else for a macro? Or maybe your CTRL key has been inhabited by a poltergeist.

#5 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostTemplarGFX, on 27 October 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

Rather than a new topic. Another quick question : If changing the FOV still possible?

that still works for me too, just recently changed it

#6 TemplarGFX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

View PostGolrar, on 27 October 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

Go to settings and reset your keybindings and see if that fixes it. Or if you have 3rd party software, such as with the Logitech G15 keyboard, did you bind the key to something else for a macro? Or maybe your CTRL key has been inhabited by a poltergeist.

Im playing on a laptop, and as far as I can tell I have no apps running that effect the keyboard. I will try the reset as you mentioned

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 27 October 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

that still works for me too, just recently changed it

was that in c:\program files\pirhana games\mwo\user.cfg ?

#7 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:51 AM

Its in "x:\MWO\MechWarrior Online\user.cfg" for me, bsically the first folder containing files like "system.cfg" or the "build_info.xml".

r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0 ;turns the film grain effect off
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0 ;turns off cockpit glass
r_DepthOfField =0 ;turns off DOF
cl_fov=69 ;sets your field of view
sys_MaxFPS=101 ;caps your maximum frames per second (not working reliably for me)

Edited by Budor, 28 October 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#8 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

Yeah, I'm wondering if you assigned the left CTRL key to something else.

#9 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

Free look still works. I recommend checking your keymapping to be sure that the look key is still mapped properly.

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

I think you were using the arm-lock button to look around, holding shift would have let you unlink your arms but it was changed to offer multiple different key configs (we now have both a toggle and a press-and-hold function available to be mapped for arm lock)

#11 Stijnovic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

I have the same problem, freelook doesn't work for me anymore! I tried to change the key bindings, but this didn't help.

But now that I think about it, I did mess around with my joystick and have been trying to use my camera as a track-IR/freetrack head-tracking device... Maybe this has something to do with it...

#12 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

They have made changes to controls since Spring, so if all else fails, delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\USER\Profiles\{your username}\actionmaps.xml and remap your keys.

#13 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, the Left CTRL key works for my Free Look command. Having to hold that down to look around in the cockpit.

#14 TemplarGFX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

Unfortunately still does not work for me after trying everything above. the ONLY thing that may be the cause if FreeTrackIR, which is installed (but not running) I do not believe this has any services, but I can think of nothing else. I actually tried a fresh re-install after removing all traces of MWO. but no luck.

#15 TemplarGFX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

OK, it was indeed FreeTrackNoIR that was causing it for me! MWO must have been picking up the driver as a trackIR headset.

Finally I can look around again!! Thankyou for the help everyone!

#16 Stijnovic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:18 AM

Good to hear that, I guess it's the same for me. Did you uninstall it or could you just disable something in the settings?

#17 Taffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostTemplarGFX, on 28 October 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

OK, it was indeed FreeTrackNoIR that was causing it for me! MWO must have been picking up the driver as a trackIR headset.

Finally I can look around again!! Thankyou for the help everyone!

Ah I was wondering why this was happening. It was facetracknoir. I haven't been using it so I just removed it, however I might use it again. I could not find a way to keep it and keep freelook in mwo.

Does anybody know a way to keep this installed and not have it interfere with MWO?

#18 Bakamoichigei

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 18 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAboard the Death's Daggers' Union-class Dropship 'Shining Sword'.

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

I'm having this same issue since I came back to MWO; when I go to use free look, it won't move at all. The thing is though, I don't have TrackIR or FreeTrack, or FreeTrackNoIR or anything like that installed, nor have I ever on this system...so a conflict with one of those can be ruled out in my case.

The only thing I can think of that's even tangentially related is if it's conflicting with my TrinusVR install, in which case somebody dun screwed the pooch and this needs to get fixed, because there's absolutely no reason why that should conflict at all. (Really there's no reason that free look should be broken under ANY circumstances, and it's obviously been this way for two years. wtf, PGI?)

#19 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:30 PM

View PostTemplarGFX, on 27 October 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

Yes; depending on how long ago you were changing Field of View, you may not know that you can just use a slider in the settings now, under Game. =)

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:06 AM

View PostTemplarGFX, on 27 October 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

Im playing on a laptop, and as far as I can tell I have no apps running that effect the keyboard. I will try the reset as you mentioned

was that in c:\program files\pirhana games\mwo\user.cfg ?

Try options. For is right there with a slider. I change mine mid combat.

Free look is left CTRL.
Sounds like you are hitting Left Shift (armlock hold to toggle)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users