71 replies to this topic

#21 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:58 AM

1) If the other team is LRM-heavy, attack aggressively. Holding back plays into their hands.

In truth, the more aggressive team wins 90%+ of the time, but hiding from LRMs and poking is way less effective than charging them.

2) Never chain fire direct fire weapons. All you do is scatter damage.

Twist or get cover, cool off and then group fire again.

Edited by Terciel1976, 28 October 2014 - 04:02 AM.

#22 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:37 AM

When U want to test ur weapons at the start of match make sure to hug a wall becouze U never know who will run infront of U.

#23 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:47 AM

View Postsalkeee, on 28 October 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

When U want to test ur weapons at the start of match make sure to hug a wall becouze U never know who will run infront of U.

Test your weapons in the testing grounds - not a live match... ;)

#24 Blalok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

Blinded by the glare off your dashboard on those night maps? Press 'period' to turn off the cockpit lights.

#25 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostEgomane, on 27 October 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

This is wrong! I rarely use Artemis (wasted tonnage in my eyes) and it still works. Can be tested on the testing ground, if someone doesn't believe me.

Look out for and stay with your teammates. If the fall behind, reduce your speed, or circle around, so they can catch up.

Artemis is not wasted tonnage, necessarily. It really depends on your build. For example, I typically run Artemis if I am using large, IS LRM launchers because it makes my shots more accurate. Artemis also speeds up target locks.

However, I do not use Artemis with Clan LRMs because they are already very accurate.

Finally, Artemis is excellent for SRMs because it holds them into a tighter bunch. I use it on large Mechs where I can spare the tonnage, but forgo Artemis on the smaller Mechs.

So, the tip then, is determine what it is you want to do with you Mechs and whether or not tonnage or slots are more important for that build. That will help you determine whether or not you need Artemis.

#26 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:34 AM

Protect/cover your teams assaults, a lone assault mech is a dead mech.
When covering DO NOT stand directly behind the assault mech, it needs room to move.

Last week I TK'd a Locust by reversing in my DWF to get out of the way of LRM's.

#27 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

There're some good 'guides' that include various tips, including:

Sarlic's Assault Guide

Koniving's Tactical Tips to MWO

These are just 2 that I could find off the top of my head, and ones that I have recommended in the past.

#28 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

Use the goddamn R button

#29 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostGTV Zeratul, on 28 October 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

When covering DO NOT stand directly behind the assault mech, it needs room to move.

Just because they are so important, they are worth sharing again;

When covering DO NOT stand directly behind the assault mech, it needs room to move. - THIS APPLIES TO ALL MECHS

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

If Hit and Run is your strategy, it's foolish to use standard lasers.

Instead consider pulse lasers. Shorter beam times focus the damage better and are ready to recharge sooner. Even better, they deal more damage, and you can deal with the extra heat by pulling out of the fight and returning later.

(Now if stop, hit, then run is your strategy, use standard lasers all you want. But if you want to hit while moving with highly focused damage, pulse lasers are the way to go).

Edited by Koniving, 28 October 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#31 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

ALWAYS keep a target locked, even if you don't have lrms or streaks. It lets your friends know where the enemy is, it gives lrm carriers a lock that they can use, AND it tells you where the enemy is most damaged. ALWAYS keep a target locked.

#32 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

Know your weapon ranges. It isn't always apparent the first few times in the cockpit.

Your heat curve can be controlled by trigger grouping... it isn't neccessary to fire All De Lazor at once. Just a few staggered will often get better results.

#33 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

Focus fire (fire at he same mech your teammates shooting). Learn to use the paper doll to identify weak points on a mech and target those areas.

#34 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

1) Quit thinking 'symmetrical'. It is actually easier to work with a mech that has asymmetrical weapon groupings.

(I can go into detail, but that's for a later post. Just remember: grouping weapon clusters works better, in most cases, than trying to make your mech all symmetrical.)

2) You do not have to fill every hardpoint with something to be effective.

3) Every weapon has a counter. Note what kills you, and learn to use it yourself. you'll then know how to counter it.

4) There is no such thing as 'kill stealing'. Forget it, this is a team game.

5) The best benefits of the Beagle Active Probe is improved target scanning times and its ability to counter ECM. The former is actually a better advantage than the latter.

6) Pay attention to the enemy paperdoll. Shoot the weakest spots first - whatever that weak spot is.

#35 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:47 AM

If you are poking your arm and torso around a corner for a peek-a-boo shot, use your full speed for retreat. So you can press S to reverse out and peek when they don't know you are there, then bolt out of sight as quick as possible with W when you need to.

Align your legs parallel to the wall and torso twist in the direction you expect your target to be, so that your retreat is with your legs going forward.

If your weapons are on your left arm, and peeking through a door: Face away from the opening and twist left with your mouse to face your enemy.

I suppose I am just making a case for which direction to use as I have been testing the efficacy of both ways lately. The W retreat seems to have a significant advantage. Just something people might not have considered.

#36 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:42 AM

To make it easier to recognize when the the Gauss Rifle is charged up and ready to fire, put the Gauss Rifle in all your unused weapons groups. It's much easier if four or five of the lights surrounding the targeting reticule turn green instead of just one.

Also, use the Training Grounds to test anything you might be curious about (both on your mech and in a map). I've tested weapon loadouts, heat generation, jump jet burn, jumping height, hiding spots, sniping spots, distances between map locations, and more. You can use a consumable (UAV, Artillery Strike, Cool Shot, etc.) in the training ground to test its function without it being consumed. It gets 'used' so you can only use it once per training ground drop, but it'll stay in your mech until you use it during a match.

#37 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

under 180 meters clan lrms do reduced damage but still produce shake. Chain fire lrms at a brawling opponent to throw them off their game.

#38 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

If you are legged, and your enemy is still in weapons range, STOP YOUR MECH! Turn so that your broken leg is facing the enemy and hold still! Your broken leg will shield you, and if your enemy keeps shooting at your legs, the damage will be reduced and transferred to your side torso! If the enemy shoots at your torso, twist as normal. A legged mech is a dead mech, but you can survive a lot longer than you'd expect with this technique, and catch many an unaware enemy off guard.

#39 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

If you are legged in a light accept that you are dead but keep firing, you may still help the team.
on many occasions I have killed the Mech that legged me (usualy in a Spider).

if you are in trouble a UAV can make a great distress signal, if you do not have a UAV then repeatedly pressing "R" to show the all the enemy near you also works

#40 Saiphas Cain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

When scouting and given a choice of targets, especially with a Beagle Probe, always give priority to any ECM equipped mech. Try to keep them targeted so teammates can prioritize them. ECM isn't required for victory but if only one team has it they generally hold the initiative.

Putting ammunition in the legs and splitting ammunition for a given weapon between legs can help prevent ammunition explosions, and ensure you have some ammo to fire even when losing one leg.

If a light mech insists on dueling you try to figure out their weapon cooldown, and reverse direction just before it. Light mech duels are generally terrible for both participants, but by throwing off their aim you can take out much tougher opponents. This is pretty twitch, but you can even kill Firestarters in a Commando doing this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users